wave of the day

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Sunday, 7 Apr 2013 at 3:51pm

todays wave of the day - nice pic.....and i have a sneaky suspicion that its really a left ? correct ?

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 10:28am

What's that blue thing?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 10:39am

Maybe his legrope worn just below the knee pulled tight?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 10:53am

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 11:51am

I've got a good hoody ornament story. Its combined with a supposed 'hard nut', 'bad boy', 'I'm connected', 'industry player' debacle. In fact, now that I've been reminded, it even beats the untellable, crumbling legend story, that I'll protect to the end, in all time ludacity. It had absolutely everything.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 12:22pm

Good to see son of a gun Sam Rhodes ripping it via Jack Deckort..... Should be on tour, boy...... Say gday to your dad, mate..... Tell him we'll catch up next year....

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 12:23pm

Think your right zen, shaun as usual jumps to conclusions and hates,hates,hates. Though I can't see much to like about someone riding a mal, but..............
Let's hear it uppy, if your not going to tell the untellable throw some crumbs.

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 12:37pm

was it squarkin potter from victorharbor

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 1:53pm

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 2:05pm

Oh another untellable story Mick .... Your just full of 'em aren't u ....
You'd think you were part of ASIO with all this Whisper talk ....oh hang on a spy based out of SE. Asia ....
Fuck now I've blown ya cover ..... So that's why u got thrown out if the Philipines , it all makes sense .

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 2:20pm

Nah, its just too cruel. He was just young and dumb. You're just dumb. I even feel sorry for you, with your surfin' black's without ever going in the water, and the high chair, and ol' maaaytee' kid washed on the rocks, without getting washed on the rocks, sagas. Again, its not my fault, its just surfees being surfees.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Sunday, 26 Oct 2014 at 4:50pm
uplift wrote:

Nah, its just too cruel. He was just young and dumb. You're just dumb. I even feel sorry for you, with your surfin' black's without ever going in the water, and the high chair, and ol' maaaytee' kid washed on the rocks, without getting washed on the rocks, sagas. Again, its not my fault, its just surfees being surfees.

So much fluid, so little hand strength.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Monday, 27 Oct 2014 at 11:42am

Back on Topic, Matt Van's snap of Darrell Goodrum in Java is hectic! Wonder if he paddled that? Wonder if he made the next section rearing up?

Seen many a photo/vid of this place but not at that size

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 27 Oct 2014 at 1:36pm

yocal wrote:

Back on Topic, Matt Van's snap of Darrell Goodrum in Java is hectic! Wonder if he paddled that? Wonder if he made the next section rearing up? Seen many a photo/vid of this place but not at that size

No idea if he paddled it but it's a wild wave, eh? Coincidentally, I stayed in a hut at Bobby's in 1998 with him and his old man. Darrell would've been early- to mid-teens then.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 27 Oct 2014 at 2:33pm
yocal wrote:

Back on Topic, Matt Van's snap of Darrell Goodrum in Java is hectic! Wonder if he paddled that? Wonder if he made the next section rearing up?

Seen many a photo/vid of this place but not at that size

Yeah I'm guessing he did paddle it yocal. I happened to be here at the same time as him and his mates in September. He was the only standup surfer going these ones. And he was making 99% of them. It was pretty inspiring to watch! There was no skis there and it would be a hard wave to tow as well because it fully wraps around the back of and island and your taking off so close to the cliff. So the ski driver would really have to be on his game.

Coops70's picture
Coops70's picture
Coops70 Monday, 27 Oct 2014 at 5:55pm

If it's the same place I surfed at 3-4 ft mid tide it scared the crap outa me the right on The other side is also heavy

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 28 Oct 2014 at 10:21am
goofyfoot wrote:

Yeah I'm guessing he did paddle it yocal. I happened to be here at the same time as him and his mates in September. He was the only standup surfer going these ones. And he was making 99% of them. It was pretty inspiring to watch! There was no skis there and it would be a hard wave to tow as well because it fully wraps around the back of and island and your taking off so close to the cliff. So the ski driver would really have to be on his game.

Top effort. Maybe he hopped some wash off the rocks... either way massive effort! that place looks super shallow, and I heard the reef is pretty gnarly there...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 3 Nov 2014 at 1:26pm

Absolute cracker today guys. what a wave .....

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 4 Nov 2014 at 12:34am

What a beautiful photo, thanks swellnet and thanks to photographer. Am I allowed to copy that? I would really love it as my screensaver. If so, what do I do to achieve this. Best surf photo I have ever seen, could look at it all day, thanks again- fully stoked.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 17 Nov 2014 at 10:41pm

anyone else find the WOTD mesmerizing? I can't quite put my finger on what is shows about how water flows under the board and relates to speed.

I mean, it looks like a thruster. and it looks like if it was a quad, it would be slower; because less water could escape out the sides/ more drag??? But, when water goes out the side, does it mean it's not channelling out the tail and therefore not contributing to lift and top speed???

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 18 Nov 2014 at 11:22am

Any takers on yesterday's WOTD and how the you can see the fins distributing the water? Brutus?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 18 Nov 2014 at 11:27am

I reckon he got smashed Mitch.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 18 Nov 2014 at 12:10pm

yeah, looks like the tail is about to go, but maybe he saved it- i hope he did

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 18 Nov 2014 at 2:55pm

Ah yeah well I hasn't thought of what happens down the line, more just how would a quad/ thruster/ single fin squirt water out from under the board differently

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 18 Nov 2014 at 9:32pm

good call mitch, but i think ultimately, the wave decides this based on it's drawing capacity and the line the surfer takes. this is the art of surfing, sometimes it cannot be broken down into increments that can be measured. That's why it captivates us, the unknown, such an exhilaration- whether its 50 foot or 50 inches, we just love it- it can't be measured, except by the feeling of anticipation and then known exhilaration. u have just shared the energy of life.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 10:23am

Poor form whoever put todays up wtf??

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 10:29am

Why, Barley? It aint Mohammed......

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 10:32am

NIMBY, eh barley? A degree of consistency would be nice.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 10:37am

Whats nimby ben? And why use this shot..taken from a secret spot off the track landmarks in the background..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 10:46am

I ran it Barley, it was my choice. Given it isn't named and the only people who'd recognise it are those that have been there I see no problem.

On the Facebook feed I've been deleting anyone who names it or gives away clues, but thanks to you you're bringing more attention than any of us could. You arc up on FB, that makes people curious, they click on your link and, lo and behold what do they see?! Yes, you guessed it, the same place, photographed by you and named by you. Well done Champ...

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:09am

That's ignorant naivety at best stunet. I haven't put a link up.The only people who can see it on my feed are my friends. I'm private so you shouldn't see my FB. when I take shots of it or any other place I remove all landmarks. You have a bad habit of doing this in response to other places in this state. You put the capital in the title.. Seriously the anonymity of the WOTD should be considered. There are prob other shots of this place that are better with less information. even your title could've been more considered.you could've cropped it or quite frankly not ran it. You have been asked to refrain from putting certain shots up before stuey

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:16am

It's a free country..... This paranoia has to stop..... One day, the shit will hit the fan.... Some tourists looking for "15 minutes" will go to the cops, the tourist mob, a current affair, for being physically harassed when taking photo's in a certain states' national park.... A current affair "sting" will follow.....
Shit... I might even do it myself.... ;) It'd be hilarious to watch....... lol

ps - Breaks belong to all...... National parks are owned by all..... No can tell me not to take photo's of the ocean..... And no one can tell me what to do with those photo's..... You mightn't like it, but freedom comes at a cost......

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:23am

@barley ,bit late trying to protect that spot.....1977 or earlier that place was featured in surfing world a colour pic about the same size, name of the surf break and which state it was in..........have you ever looked at the photogs vimeo page , whats the favoured location for the yorkes classic ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:22am

barley wrote:

That's ignorant naivety at best stunet. I haven't put a link up.The only people who can see it on my feed are my friends.

I'm not a friend of yours and I can see it. So who is the naive one?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:25am

No offence stuey but you shouldnt be able to all my privacy settings are on

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:29am

Ha ha ha...no offence? From you??

No mate, none taken.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:31am

Yeah no shit udo..he's a mate of a young ripper down here. I have seen the photogs hiding in the bushes taking shots and when their session ends this dude pops up with the full telephoto lense package. I am usually cool with that as sheepie said but you can have some decorum about it.stoo couldve cropped the top a bit plus the title is pretty dumb.if its ok stoo why you deleting the people that name it off fb? Guilty

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:37am

barley wrote:

Yeah no shit udo..he's a mate of a young ripper down here. I have seen the photogs hiding in the bushes taking shots and when their session ends this dude pops up with the full telephoto lense package. I am usually cool with that as sheepie said but you can have some decorum about it.stoo couldve cropped the top a bit plus the title is pretty dumb.if its ok stoo why you deleting the people that name it off fb? Guilty

Because it's not named in the Wave Of The Day yet they're naming it on FB.

This conversation is getting stupider by the post...

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:43am

So why are they naming it? I'll give ya a little tip to make your job a bit easier stoo stick to making coffee and let ben and craig handle wotd!!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:44am

Declare a fatwa then, Barley....... Yep.... Stupider by the minute.....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 11:52am

barley wrote:

So why are they naming it?

People on FB name most waves I post: Pipeline, Solander, Jaws, whatever, it's what people do. However, except for the most obvious waves we don't name them. We still run the shots - most crew like a shot of perfection - but don't name them.

barley wrote:

I'll give ya a little tip to make your job a bit easier stoo stick to making coffee and let ben and craig handle wotd!!

Zinger!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 1:38pm

Still bad form

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 2:13pm

It's click bait . Barley . And I think you've swallowed
The hook so hard it's come out the other end .
I agree , tact is often required especially when things are
On FB .
How's the rock spider camera man .....
Is that name for real .... ie Mitch IMG. Grabn .
Back to the circus .

Ps . Hardly perfection , there's three out !!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 3:40pm

"Ps . Hardly perfection , there's three out !!!"

And no-one riding.!
I reckon all three cant wait to get home and post their Zingers on FB.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 4:32pm

Yep I can see the wave of surfers on there way now its going to be like the North Shore.
The North Shore of Germanys biggest lake that is. Get a grip.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 6:01pm
stunet]<p>[quote=barley wrote:

That's ignorant naivety at best stunet. I haven't put a link up.The only people who can see it on my feed are my friends.

Bullshit, you don't have any friends bare balls

ksurf's picture
ksurf's picture
ksurf Tuesday, 2 Dec 2014 at 6:52pm

Interestingly, you don't see any of the real locals who live in the nearby town on here whingeing about the photos of said break exposed anywhere. They are too busy out there charging and getting the best waves every time it breaks regardless of anyone else in the water.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 3 Dec 2014 at 7:41am

With 2014 coming to an end I need a new calendar........my 2014 "yorkes charm " calendar is now on December
Barley that's a nice left on the calendar cover...............

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Wednesday, 3 Dec 2014 at 7:54am

Poor form whoever put todays up wtf??

Now all you bastard Soufa Strayans will be heading over here.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 3 Dec 2014 at 11:01am

Jeez, this is getting out of control.

WTF with todays WOTD? Deadmans.

Isobel Letham I believe first surfed this spot in the 20's, she named it 'Tea Cosies'. Then Snowy McAllister came along and renamed it 'Bunyips' after the Bunyip that lived up in the bush behind the headland.

Now Swellnet has gone along and exposed this little regional gem that noone knew anything about and renamed it Deadmans. Stop naming secret spots damn you.

You should have airbrushed the headland out.

For shame.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 3 Dec 2014 at 11:37am

Coming up tomorrow a photo of 'the Pipeline', a newly discovered wave in Hawaii.

Next time it breaks you can blame Swellnet for the crowds.