Shark Stories

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer started the topic in Monday, 29 Oct 2012 at 12:11am

A few interesting stories on shark attacks and near misses on the Shark Shield report so I thought I would start this thread. Don't want to trivialize the subject as people have had their lives taken or changed forever by what can happen. I thought it might serve as an educational purpose by hearing others experiences so we may all learn from them and hopefully avoid it happening to us.

One of them was a mate of mine named Hazey.
He had been surfing at Castles, a notoriously sharky wave in the bay at Cactus.
Several hundred metres offshore the wave breaks before reforming into Inside Castles making a long left with several sections. The wave has been the scene of several attacks and near misses over the years including the local known as "Sharkbait" who had been attacked more than once.
Gerry Lopez is another who came very close to being attacked out there and vowed to never surf Cactus again after his near miss.
Well Hazey was surfing out the back with another bloke named Steve when out of the blue he was launched into the air still on his board by a huge force from below.
A shark had rammed him with a direct hit straight up into the air! In a moment it was gone but soon returned to the stunned Hazey and started biting him and his board. Hazey instinctively put his arms out to protect himself but both his arms ended up in its mouth. As the jaws closed down his arms could have easily been severed, but several teeth on the sharks lower jaw had become dislodged and imbedded in the board leaving his upper arms with massive injuries, but the vital inner arms where major arteries run were not majorly damaged. This probably saved his life.
By this time Steve had reacted and in a rush of adrenalin and pure ballsy courage he threw himself onto the sharks back and started gouging at the sharks eyeballs, eventually feeling one pop and the shark departed.
Steve got the two surfboards together and got himself and Hazey on and started the long paddle to shore.
Then they were both thrown into the air as the shark rammed them a third time before disappearing again. They continued to make their way closer to shore and the shark nudged them again. Steve told me he thought he really must of pissed it off when he popped its eye.
Finally they we're just a metre from shore when the shark made its fifth and final appearance. It beelined towards them and the shore while they stood in waist deep water with their boards. The sharks mouth was just rapidly opening and closing like one of those wind up sets of false teeth. The boys separated and put their hands on either side of it's body and held it on a 90 degree angle to the beach as they made the final steps to the safety of the sand.
Hazey was rushed to Ceduna hospital and then flown to Adelaide for micro surgery on his shredded arms.
Steve ended up receiving a bravery award and they both sold their story to 60 minutes and made $50,000 each out of it!
It was quite a story!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain commented Friday, 14 Jun 2019 at 10:01pm

I paddled out at Waddy point on Fraser a few years ago alone. Right on sunset, side-shore, murky water, bait fish popping everywhere. I caught a shitty little wave paddled back out and sat. Just kinda taking in the sunset and emptiness, just my car alone on the sand and then this bone chilling shiver went through me, I can't describe it. Probably be silly to be out there to begin with but every fibre of my being said get the blazes out of there and fast.

I paddled in and belly rode a little wave into the shore.

I walked up to the car, dried off and drank a beer. Didn't see anything but knew somehow that at that moment I was on borrowed time.

I've had a couple of encounters in my surfing life but not seeing anything was the one that scared me the most and probably the only time i've ever paddled in.

Watashi wa metabo oyagi desu.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba commented Friday, 14 Jun 2019 at 2:37pm

Can relate to that and thats why we a have a sixth sense,gotta listen to your gut feeling...waddy point on sunset in murky water..mmmmm

simba

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba commented Friday, 14 Jun 2019 at 2:39pm

Fr forgot to ask you could you see if it had reciever on it from tagging,thought maybe you could see it in clear water?

simba

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Friday, 14 Jun 2019 at 2:47pm

no tag that I could see and it didn't set off the Lennox receiver which is less than 500m from where I saw it.

untagged.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Friday, 14 Jun 2019 at 7:18pm

Heard a recap of this on the radio today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-06-07/abalone-diver-encounter-wit...

Worth a re-read.

boatie's picture
boatie's picture
boatie commented Friday, 14 Jun 2019 at 8:38pm

at least 12 years ago freeride
in more recent times I think I would have paddled in

groundswell85's picture
groundswell85's picture
groundswell85 commented Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019 at 11:27pm

Another juvenile mutt sizing up a grommet in tuncurry..

Even with the clarity of the water and how close it gets it appears they don't spot it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adOq_F7SMPQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Thursday, 20 Jun 2019 at 6:07am

because with winter morning sun that shark was very well hidden from view the whole time by the glare field......amazing how close they can get.

I watched a big white swim right up the line-up at the Point a few years ago, swam within 10 feet of about 30 people and no-one saw it because anyone facing that way would have only seen glare.

Only reason I saw mine so clearly was that I was surfing a point and it came south to north so I had the winter sun behind me = perfect view.

If it came the other way I would not have seen it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Thursday, 20 Jun 2019 at 8:19am

Don’t think that predators approaching with the sun behind them is coincidence. It’s not.

Watch a hawk fluttering above a field for one example.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan commented Thursday, 20 Jun 2019 at 8:58am

I've always followed that advice ever since I read that article of Greenough's in SW a few years ago, running through 6 of his most memorable shark encounters on the mid north coast. He talks about engaging with a shark at Wategoes that repeatedly tried to move into the glare of the sun, and would retreat every time he spun to face it. Whenever I am out surfing I will always sporadically turn to face the glare of the sun, and if it's a sharky spot I pretty much always face that way.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Thursday, 20 Jun 2019 at 9:05am

all those encounters were Lennox-Byron

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Tuesday, 2 Jul 2019 at 1:08pm

[NEWS] ...Manly... [BEACH CLOSED] Tuesday(am) 2nd July 2019
Shark bites swimmer's torso/abdomen/back/leg.
Man in his 50's in swimming group at Shelly Beach around dawn (6:am)
The swimmer climbed onto rocks then transferred to hospital in stable condition.
Peter Schultz (Channel Swimmer) in Bold & the Beautiful swim club at the time .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-02/manly-shark-attack-leaves-deep-ga...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Tuesday, 2 Jul 2019 at 3:06pm

Pommy got touched up by a wobbegong.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Wednesday, 3 Jul 2019 at 10:36am

Mighty decent of you Blowin, to lay blame on out of control docile bottom feeders.

[news] Grey Nurse Crime Gangs encircle up market Sydney Seafood Chain.
It is an offence to harass or threaten generally harmless Grey Nurse Gang members.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/manly-beach-closed-after-man-reports...

Note: Manly still rev up Air Raid Shark Siren but Signpost "Yellow"[Enter at Risk]
Media typically frame usual shot of a surfer ignoring Waring sign (Money 4 Jam)
https://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/u...

Qld fart megaphone static but Signpost "Red/Black on White"[BEACH CLOSED]
Qld Govt Regulatory (Ghostbuster) Signs are enforceable & carry fines.

Peter did well to climb up onto rocks, sounds pretty gnarly...crew sends best wishes.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin commented Wednesday, 3 Jul 2019 at 11:39am

TBB - Grey nurses out of control.

Maybe have to coax Valerie Taylor out of retirement to cull the few that she missed before becoming the loudest voice for protecting them from the destructive threat of.....Valerie Taylor.

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness commented Wednesday, 3 Jul 2019 at 12:29pm

I was crowd dodging this morning so I paddled out on a beach break where two others were surfing...... and they immediately went in. Surfed by myself for an hour until what I'm guessing was a bull shark surfaced a
4-5m away. Paddled, pretty briskly, onto the bank and caught one in.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Wednesday, 3 Jul 2019 at 2:21pm

Rope off swim lessons & teach Oz kids how to race over water & backpedal to shore.