Bloggers surfing photos!!!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 23 May 2014 at 4:16pm

So, here it is.... A place to upload a photo of yourself throwing some spray, pulling in, a late drop, a wicked air, a hell wipout!! A narcissistic's dream come true...... Come on guys (and gals)....... Be great to see some of the swellnet characters actually surfing...... Yeah we had "bloggers waves", which was mainly epic photos of breaks, but not much surfing..... here's your chance..... Show us what you've got!!!!!!!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 29 May 2014 at 8:27pm

I know ryte....... Confucious say, If unknown isolated wave barrel for 100 yards, did wave really barrel at all? ;)

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Thursday, 29 May 2014 at 9:20pm
Sheepdog wrote:

I know ryte....... Confucious say, If unknown isolated wave barrel for 100 yards, did wave really barrel at all? ;)

Only if the forest heard the lip fall.

trippergreenfeet Thursday, 5 Jun 2014 at 5:00pm

Tim's Thicket, WA on an 8' Sunova.

trippergreenfeet Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 8:40am

Cosies on the same 8' as above, shot was taken around 2002.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 9:48am

That's one wild looking board Tripper .

trippergreenfeet Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 10:07am

Sick board, performs well above what ya would expect an 8 footer to perform. In need of some serious TLC though, has had way too many sessions on shallow reef.
I gotta take it to Mid Coast Surf for repairs as it needs vac bagging.

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Friday, 5 Sep 2014 at 3:47pm

A few from up north the last two winters

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 11:22am
mitchvg wrote:

Charger! I've heard it's not even really a surfing wave. Kinda like the groyne I guess. But hey, this a lad from Cairns talking. Carry on southern shredders.

ah mitch, did you surf ratshit north of wangetti? I had rocky point south of wangetti 5-6 foot and perfect one cyclone. Then perfect peaks at Hartleys creekmouth until i had to leave the water when a 12 foot "log" suddenly developed eyes and a tail. Getting spooked by a shark is eerie, but by a croc is fucking bowel blowing!

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 11:49am
davetherave wrote:

Getting spooked by a shark is eerie, but by a croc is fucking bowel blowing!

Scored a couple of cyclone swells when living in Townsville, some unexpectedly nice waves to be had, namely Saunders Beach and Haughton River.
On the croc front, I scored nice waves at the Cape Cleveland spit (Haughton) but the just the thought of crocs had me shitting bricks... I had been worded up by locals that I was fucking mad going out there due to a couple of crocs hanging about.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 1:29pm

Yeah DTR I was up there over Easter, TC Ita crossed near Cooktown at or just downgraded from cat 5, on Fri night. I drove up from Cans and got the tides wrong I think (roads blocked too but young lads with croozer utes aren't easily stopped haha). Winds weren't tooooo bad out of the NE, and there was swell with 11sec period in the water. But yeah, just too much washing across banks at some places, and looking a bit fat on the points. Kept looking and the end of the tombolo turned out to be overhead with clean faces, but still pretty wobbly. I brought a pretty average board up, but one I really like (wafery 5'10 thruster ridden as a twinny due to busted fin plugs; hadn't been a surfer before I left Cairns). So, on paper, can't ask for much more... maybe my memories will grow more fond with time. I was kinda off myself for sticking to only trying to surf the biggest ones coming through, when I coulda had more, smaller waves...

Anyway, places like Hartley's or Haughton, FARK DAT!!!!!! I shudder at the thought. It reminds me of swimming at Holloways and walking through the foot of gelatious mud at the bottom, and all you can think of is, when is a croc gonna snap my ankle ahaha. At least points have clear water sometimes, and aren't within eyeshot of a river mouth! People say crocs used to be scared of humans too, cos they used to shoot them.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Saturday, 6 Sep 2014 at 1:42pm

don't miss that water mitch, never seen buchan bigger than your photo. Unfortunately with a lot of big wet seasons the last decade and a half, I noticed that inshore was way more silted up and shallower. The first times I surfer Ratshit it was actually deeper blueish water out back which allowed swell to stand up on surfing bank. Gradually I noticed worse conditions and decrease in size. Get out near Bat Reef mate, one reef with nice right on end wrapping offshore in sou easters.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 11:30am

dave the rave - ratshit bay, circa 1981ish

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 2:35pm

thanks sheepdog,
this is a good day for up there, but like i remember it mostly, more often than not, pretty average but at least it was surfable. You have to love the local crew's enthusiasm, shitty brown powerless slop some time, and flat most of the time. That's why the day at Rocky Point and Hartleys is so memorable.
Best memory of Ratshit Bay is a surf with the aid of a New Guinean Herb supplement, funnily enough with a St Kilda supporter nicknamed Sheepdog.
You didnt live at Yorkeys did u sheepy?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 4:06pm

I did, dave the rave... I did indeed.... And yes, I am a long suffering saints supporter.... I have posted these before - the cove wedge, yorkeys... From on top of the groyne..... A young teenage sheepy amazed at a rideable wave...

And the incredible perfection of Yorkeys beach lol..... I'm surprised my fin didn't dig into the mud hehehe...

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 7:07pm

good one sheepy, the good old burford hey!
i'm surprised jimmy biscuit wasnt surfing the cove. seen a bloke called squirta have a dolphin jump right over the top of him at that place. Visited squirta when I went west and up to Kalbarri.
in tassie hey, talk about extremes mate. i'd love to check out a map of tassie at the moment.
im keen to do some exploring, when's best time for waves and weather where you are?
been 25 years since you visited me at uni in newy, in that time st kilda still hasnt won a flag- go the hawkies!
me living D'bah.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 8:38pm

You're joking!!!! Great to hear from you, Davo..... Remember you were riding that pig of a board, and we bumped into a French tourist camping at the cove... You bought a skip single fin swallow off him for 20 bucks!! Good board that one..... He showed us his photo album of Europe... 1981 (I think)... Photo's of a wicked left called Mundaca...... Classic..... I remember that freekn dolphin too!!! I had the same thing happen to me at North Coolum, surfing with a mate named Fraser..... I was actually surfing along... Freaked me right out....
Also remember you and me getting hassled by a small shark at Thomatis creek..... That photo above at the cove.... I think YOU took it lol...... Got a couple of old photos of you surfing somewhere.... Last I heard of you was when I phoned your big brother... geez back in the late 90s..... Don't think you were contactable....
Squirta's in W.A??? Still surfing?
You still surfing? Someone told me you had a fucked neck from a car accident or something....

I remember you and me camping in a caravan at Burleigh.... Your fins got ripped out at Burleigh cove, so I lent you that Burford..... I had that hot stuff 6' thruster..... Also remember you and me dominating the cove, dbah.... Good times man...

Not surfing much these days.... Had a run in with melanoma (surprised squirta the part albino is alive with the amount of sunburn he used to get)... Lucky to still be here bro.... Just getting my body back in shape now....

Anyway, this was me a few years ago ( lived in Coolum for nearly 2 decades)... Great to hear from you man.... I'll look you up on facebook :)

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 9:29pm

Thomatis Ck!? Was the shark a loan shark busting down the door? And you were living in that caravan in the mangroves, between trips out to sea?

Ahh forgot I posted about it already haha. Yeah mate those observations go along with others I've heard... and it's supposed to be that the up until 1980, we got more cyclones and the PDO was -ve. The PDO has been -ve since mid 2000s. Cheers for the tip, one day... It's pretty daunting thinking about it though. Haven't surfed live coral reef before.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 9:43pm

amazing that we re connect now hey, glad your still here too mate. Yeah, broke my neck in three places. Learnt alot of esoteric metaphysical teachings and quantum physics/mechanics/chemistry/biology and eventually got back surfing using sweep so i didnt have to paddle too much, but got pitched at cyclonic kirra doing no paddle take off on a wave i had to have. Semi paralysed for a while but got back to bodysurfing until got run over and blew discs out below neck fusion and tore tendon off elbow. So me out of water too, finished physio last week and about to commence training.
Squirta not surfing, professional home brewer when I saw him and fill in model for beach balls. He is happy though.
I been a long time Social and Enviromental activist and Not on Facebook mate as I have caught the attention of the authorities with my Wholistic Evolution manuscript and my releasing of a perpetual motion energy generator that we built but was destroyed because it worked- crop circles mandlebrot set shows plans and built using 64 magnets. In time this will be built and available, but not by me. Can be dangerous if used incorrectly. All my stuff got hacked and wiped. Conspiracy-what conspiracy!!!!!!
i did take cove photo and yeah shark gave you a nudge alright decided saints fans didnt taste too good maybe.
[email protected]
remember friends may tune in
me want to go to tassie, so i track you down
me a bit of an eaglehawk
stay well brother

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 7 Sep 2014 at 10:01pm
mitchvg wrote:

Thomatis Ck!? Was the shark a loan shark busting down the door? And you were living in that caravan in the mangroves, between trips out to sea?

Ahh forgot I posted about it already haha. Yeah mate those observations go along with others I've heard... and it's supposed to be that the up until 1980, we got more cyclones and the PDO was -ve. The PDO has been -ve since mid 2000s. Cheers for the tip, one day... It's pretty daunting thinking about it though. Haven't surfed live coral reef before.

yeah mitch, thomatis cr mouth had big sandbank, on kingtides it sometimes worked. i gave sheepy shit for falling off his board and then i saw fin and tail swirl next to him. long paddle back to shore.
that FNQ shoreline needs a heap of cyclones to clean it out as they have had heaps of runoff but no real wave action to shift the sediment. you mention the silt at Holloways which now exists on most of that coastline, but was only found at machans next to barron rivermouth when sheepy and i were up there.
as for the reef, obviously high tide and snorkel it first, or save up and go to PNG.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 10:20am

Mitch.. Most swell up there I found usually came from large fetch's associated with massive winter highs ridging up the Qld coast.... 1030h+, usually over NSW, fetch extending over to New Cal.... Cyclone swell was an oddity..... Once the "Cooktown to Cardwell" report had "se winds 20 to 30K", You knew something would push over the reef... davo and I had it wired.... The small gap below Bat reef used to funnel a small amount of swell directly into yorkeys.... Holloways was flat, Trinity was flat, but for some reason yorkeys used to get ridable, which was handy cos' that's where we lived.... The cove at yorkeys actually had it's moments.... the photo above was a real fun day, quite punchy for NQ standards thanks to the wedge off the cliff face..... I remember that day there was a dead tiger shark, solid 8 foot, wedged in the groyne rocks... A bit off putting... Smelt rank too....
Now.... Davo...... Fuck man, the neck thing sounds heavy..... I'm sure if we had've had a vote via our peers back in 1981, on A - who was most likely to end up in jail, that would've been me..... B- Most likely to be an upstanding citizen - Squirta..... And C - most likely to die from a horrific accident, no doubt Davethe rave would've won it hands down ;)
1 - The dog bangs on raves' window - "surfs up"!!!! Rave staggers out 1/2 asleep, rides pushy to beach with dog, paddles out, takes off, nosedives, cops a fin to the top of his head, paddles back in, goes home back to bed....
2 - Surfs up.... Dog and squirta grab rave... the 3 amigos ride their tredlys to the beach...1/2 way there, raves legrope goes around his back wheel...... Boom crash!!!!! Smashed board.... blood... bark missing everywhere.... twisted bike..... Raves old man rocks up.... Old style..... Anyway, that's when you got the swallow tail skip...... silver lining bro....
3 - same deal - 3 amigos riding to 1/2 moon bay.... ( used to get perfect little waves there mitch)...... This time raves towel goes into his front wheel.... Boom crash !!!!!!
4 - Dog and rave are bored shitless... No surf for ages.... Dog owns a skateboard... "I know what we can do for a buzz" says dog...... "lets try riding down yorkeys knob hill on the skateboard!!!!!!" Dog descends and makes it..... JUST...... Rave then grabs the board..... He flys down the hill, negotiating the crazy corners..... The sound of a car in the distance spooks him on the very last section..... takes a wide line.... near a gravel patch............. Boom....... CRASH!!!!!!
Fuckn funny times mate...... I could write a book.. The time we went and saw "The Church" at the Bombay rock and someone spiked our drinks...... FUUUUCK..... How the fuck did we get back to Burleigh lol.....
Will drop you a line a bit later bro........ Found that photo.... Gotta sort printer out......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 10:52am

Classic Sheepio and the Rave.
Who needs FaceBook when you got SwellStalk.
Old times rekindled, Awesome stuff fellas, Geez Rave you had some stacks ;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 11:16am
wellymon wrote:

Classic Sheepio and the Rave.
Who needs FaceBook when you got SwellStalk.
Old times rekindled, Awesome stuff fellas, Geez Rave you had some stacks ;)

Ehhh what do you expect from a Hawthorn supporter ;)...... At least he could surf lol
The rave at ratshit, pre broken neck.......

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 1:35pm

classic stuff, thanks mate
still got the scars from that fucking skateboard pitch- very wary of them now
yes i have had some floggings alright, you think i would have learnt.
i still visit family who now live at crystal cascades, and mate the place is too silted up to get the surf we had and half moon (whispering pines) is a fucking marina. remember them two old whores going the nude and wanting us too as well-classic stuff your white arse going over the dunes with grandma- embellishment maybe? maybe not.
it was 1988 when you visited me at newy
no idea how we got back to burleigh either, but that was pretty standard practice when you and I were on a mission, especially at farm past kuranda/mareeba where i wandered lost through the scrub for hours and you didnt even know i had gone- oils at kuranda ampitheatre that night.
so yes i am surprised i am still alive too, i think the gods have too much fun watching my fuck ups.
surfed and visited some great places though mate. tassie only place in oz me not go yet.
yeah email me, all good now but some things can only be talked about face to face.
some good banter here on swellnet, good crew with good humour and life stories to share
coolie now too busy in water all the time, whether jetski's, sups, mals or tourists/overseas students. but great waves, beautiful water and views, but hard to find peace and serenity in the water, thank god for good memories, hey brother- be happy bro's

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 2:10pm

Just sent you email link, man.... The only other thing I could say publicly is; "I deny all allegations".... lol....

Yorkeys cove on what would be considered a great day.... 3 foot chocolate...... If you look closely, davo, you can see Jimmy Biscuit pulling into the end section closeout just in front of the rocks......

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 2:34pm

go the choc chip cookie man. Jimmy got all the best waves. allegations-where there is smoke, there usually is a fire of some sort mate!!!! ha ha

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 3:09pm
uplift wrote:

Here's one pete, or toddy rom took, when they started getting some confidence out there.

Here's one from a few years ago. I'm 56 then. No doubt you boys will be out there inside everyone, hooking into them then.

Credit where credit is due,
for a 56yo pulling into good size edits is a decent effort, and doesn't look like that top one is a shoulder hop

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 3:17pm

Lol, davo..... Gave the partying away years ago mate..... In fact, I haven't drank piss since 02. (WHAAAAT???)... Same deal with new guinea imports.......... Got right into surfing, and I found all those substances just got in the way..... But something always gets ya in the long run.... The sun....... Bursitis....L5, meniscus.....
But I wouldn't change anything.....
Doing running repairs now..... The mighty "uplift" has given me some good goss' on the shoulder.... L5 - well... What can you do bar core strength..... Meniscus..... Probably arthroscope, but not at the top of the agenda......
Tassie is a young mans surf enviro..... Lots of effort, travel, cooooold...... Not many spots where you just pull up and check it from the car, unless you are up ne' coast..... Everything is a mission down here.... But when you do luck it, it's mindblowing..... May have posted these before.... 20 minutes from my house.....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 4:11pm

Will try later ;)

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 4:20pm

A few pic's from this Indo season it's been pumping.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 4:42pm

Sick FG!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 7:27pm

Ratshit Bay....almost as good as Farnborough or Emu Park.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 7:45pm

Hahahaha or North Wall Mackay :)

Hint for you FNQ boys, Ruby or Lena if you have a small boat. If you have a big boat........................

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 8:22pm

Didn't call it ratshit for nothing, FR... ;) Worst few years of my surfing life..... But hey, desperate men do desperate things.....
Funny how 2 foot slop can be blessing when you haven't seen a rideable wave for months....
Also funny how we all bailed at the first chance.....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 8:33pm

White arse going over the dunes with grandma Ahh desperate men do desperate things he he.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 10:38pm

SD
good to hear your now a fine young respectable citizen, Tony loves you (geezus that was low-sorry mate)
I am still a goose
good luck with your health issues. as you know i have had my share, and for me, bromelain (pineapple core) plus glucosomine with MSM helps, plus flood body with oxygen (chlorella, spirulina etc). Body will heal itself if helped- brainwave entrainment essential-google it. I use recordings to get brainwaves resonating in alpha as much as possible, but use Delta and Theta before bed or healing session to get best results for body to heal itself. In Delta and Theta, body can re align itself with the DNA coded frequencies of perfect health whilst in deep sleep/trancelike state. In three weeks you should be able to automatically bring forth these brainwave states. By using these techniques,plus intentionally imagining my desired outcome, in two weeks I transformed two prolapsed discs back to nearly normal shape and function, pins and needles went and doctors couldnt believe i didnt need an operation. This is not mind over matter, it is getting conscious mind relaxed so inherent self healing intelligence of the body can do its thing. Its a wonderful thing the human body.
gee that left looks the goods
didnt get your link
hawkies back to back bro- have fun mate

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 8 Sep 2014 at 11:28pm
udo wrote:

White arse going over the dunes with grandma Ahh desperate men do desperate things he he.

lol, udo..... Ya gotta remember the rave and I were 15yo... Back then, a "grandma" was a 34yo woman....
I'd do it again, udo....;)

Davo, I'll try again in the morning.....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 25 Nov 2015 at 11:36am
trippergreenfeet wrote:

Mark Archer...I remember the old man and Paul Witzig telling stories about him when I was a young fella hanging round the fire at Paul's house at Cactus.

The Rebel TV segment on Archer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnimi_gzjVk

Bakehouse now sold.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:05pm

Fuck it . I miss this shit .Im going tomorrow ( hiccup )

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:14pm

Blowin.. going or wishing?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:15pm

Fuck....those shots of Frasier Gordon !

Go you legend !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:17pm

Simba....going .

If I’m no too hungover....then the day after.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:19pm

Ha.. good luck then.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:26pm

Cheers mate.

Fingers crossed.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 7:47pm

Good luck Blowin!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 8:00pm

Blowin’s well lubed tonight hahah

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 9:42pm

off Chops

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm

Whatever

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 10:00pm

A little spot in Sydney harbour which turns on with the new moon sometimes. Everyone thinks it needs a big East swell , but the secret is to hit it early on the very start of the incoming whilst everyone else is surfing Deadman’s.

So good. Tube out the back , a wall made for rail turns then the low tide shelf throw tube.

All to your Pat Malone

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 9:52pm

Going back to SA this Easter. This from a coupla Easters ago.

Retro! On a singlo. And fucken freezing.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 3 Apr 2019 at 11:14pm

Going left at the same joint. In 19 fucken 97! Crikey, where does it all go?!