Bloggers surfing photos!!!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 23 May 2014 at 4:16pm

So, here it is.... A place to upload a photo of yourself throwing some spray, pulling in, a late drop, a wicked air, a hell wipout!! A narcissistic's dream come true...... Come on guys (and gals)....... Be great to see some of the swellnet characters actually surfing...... Yeah we had "bloggers waves", which was mainly epic photos of breaks, but not much surfing..... here's your chance..... Show us what you've got!!!!!!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 2:02pm

OK then, the only one I found went through 3 hard copied photo albums from the 70's all with the old kodak....haha
This one late 80's, Lake ferry river mouth @ 2-3ft, when bigger awesome wave, on a Howard Rait SouthShore 6"8" rounded pin.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 2:31pm

Had something to keep my head warm back in those cold waters.............Hair,
You have no problem with that tho Ranga Teeth eh, good set of silver long luscious hair ;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 3:44pm

Mate.... At least I still got my own teeth ;)...... And hair. hehehe..... Gettn a bit of a "widows peak" happening, though...... And the lack of sunlight has made it a baby shit dark blond/light brown colour.....
Nice beachy/mouth, welly..... Perfect..... Never surfed a black sand beachy.... Must be strange when shallow, seeing a black sandbar.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 3:59pm

You have never felt hot sand till you've felt hot black sand.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 4:46pm

Blowin..... Cmon mate..... Dig out the photo albums.... Blow the dust off them..... ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 5:07pm

No you are right Sheepio
Widows peak....? Fuck me mate you still have hair, what are you worried about this could help...?http://www.schwarzkopf.com/sk/en/home/hair_repair/for-men/hairstyles-for...
Schwarskop a cough....excuse me.
Black sand is hot when it is hot as Blowlin says, the beauty of NZ river mouths when you duck dive you, hear the full on sound of shingle rolling around, pretty trippy sound.
NZ river mouths are the best most perfect waves I've ever surfed, with out a doubt, at 2-3ft and absolutely flawless barrels, 4-6ft and gobsmacking shit :)
Lake Ferry is one stand out for sure, seen it going off at 6-8ft but sat on the beach mind surfing, as I was the only one there and so petrified and looking what I seen but actually surfable, These types of waves on NZ river mouths happen quite often with no one around, you just have to keep on them, watching, checking :)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 5:21pm

River mouths are underrated I reckon Welly, maybe because their not usually found around major population centres in Oz and they can be a bit fickle, but when they're on... Holy shit.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 5:24pm

Would love to go to kiwi land....... Got friends there.... One maori girl we met here in tassie ( absolute wonderful person - heart of gold) moved back there last year (north island)..... Keeps hassling us to come over...... Plus "spart" said we always got a place to stay at his brothers.... East coast... whanga....
Should do it next cyclone season......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 6:25pm

Yeah Blowin, NZ River mouths are fucken unreal, watch and be patient, Wairoa river bar OMG
Heaps down the west, east coast of the south and north island's, everywhere. The thing in OZ not enough falling land, thats what I reckon. NZ is always falling to the ocean, both sides, one of the youngest lands on this planet, the southern alps, quite high, but always eroding and escaping down the valleys out into the river mouths, especially with heavy rain fall.

Sheepio go over mate, Maori girl if you know will look after you and your wife, hangi galore bro :)
What ever season, my preference is around Feb / March / April, still warm lots of different options. Will give you cryptic pointers later on ;P

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 6:27pm

NZ river mouths, fuck yeah...me and a buddy are looking at a Feb/March trip next year to the Nth island - east coast. Got a stack of contacts over there who know the drum.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 6:43pm

Cheers, bro...... Would love to catch a fish and cook it at that "hot beach"...... That'd be a buzz....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 6:54pm

Yeah TGF, Sheepio, Blowin, I found this photo at the bottom of the stack, one of my best surfing memories in NZ, a river outlet that gets released on duck season south of Mahia, they get a bulldozer in and open it up, only happens haha fuck all. We timed it for 5 days perfect peak and perfect swell, 1m south swell and NW winds. Too big a swell and the bank gets washed away pretty quick, but this bank left and right peak into a deep water beach was GOLD for 5 days, flawless.
This photo is from myself standing in knee deep water about 20 feet away from a good friend getting pitted , one after the other, 8 blokes max for 5 days.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 6:58pm

Wow!!!!! "T.A.W!"...... Totally awesome welly!!!!!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 7:05pm

2-3ft Sheepio but round eh.

Memories.....:)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 7:06pm

Hell yeah.... Sweet as.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 8:12pm

It's all about the shape Welly, size is secondary. At least that's what I'm trying to get my missus to believe.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 8:47pm

Still riding hard boots welly? How do you up load photos?

trippergreenfeet Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 9:45pm
inzider wrote:

How do you up load photos?

Set yourself up a Photobucket or Imgur account, they're free.
Upload photos to your chosen account.
Once uploaded you'll be provided with a "public" link.
Copy that link.

Paste that link on SW in between these image tags [img]photo link here[/img]

Ensure there are no spaces between the pasted link and these ]brackets[

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 9:50pm
Blowin wrote:

Never been snowboarding but fuck, I can feel that turn in my guts Welly. Nice one.

Amen to that!

STC Ita, Buchan's Beach. Hunting the head dip, and dipping the head afterwards :)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 10:35pm

Ahhh that chocolate brown colour of FNQ!!!!! Looks like day of the year, Mitch!!!! :)

Ratshit would've had a few that day too....

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 10:46pm

west of east and north of south. Im the one going left

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 May 2014 at 10:50pm

Inzider , that's it ! I don't even care that you're a washed up , belligerent , drunken , bodyboard riding failed pro baseballer, we're going surfing together. But only at your spots of course.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:30am

When im not snorting coke and chasing my glory days ,I do the meanest dick draggin three o's you ever saw, my record down the point above is 300 in a row. That uplift dude was out there that day and when he saw me dominating the line up in my borat G he offered to train me into an elite athlete, but I had to turn him down as elite is not a high enough standard.
I am mega deluxe awesome machine level athlete.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 26 May 2014 at 11:03am

Sorry Sheepy ....
As you are probably well aware of , in celluloid days when you travelled alone , very rarely were images taken by others and shared .... in the modern era though how easy is to exchange emails or better still download straight off theri camera to you laptop .. who travels with laptops though . ?

there are a few ( kodak disposable ) shots somewhere ..... i'll have a look .
Justin Bauer ran a shot of me around 2004 ?? in ASL ?? , and more recently in 2010 Judy Scanlon unknowingly posted a photo of me on CW ....
let me scan one tonight ..... one of my old avatar images was me .

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 12:13pm

Here's some photo's , southy........ BTW, mate, I fully understand...... I, too was/am a "solo surfer"..... Often, when Noosa was cranking, I'd rather paddle out at sketchy sideshore 2nd bay coolum by myself, or with one or two mates who didn't mind duckdiving..... Yeah, you'd cop some punishment, but get more waves and less hassle than Noosa.... A camera was never thought of..... Most of my surfing photos were taken by my better 1/2.... So generally she'd only come down the beach when the weather was "nice" (she doesn't surf)..... That's why most of my surfing photos are in small to average waves...... When it's big in Qld, it's usually cyclone season, with rain squalls...... I do have some photo's of me surfing 6foot+ beachies in winter, but I'm just a speck in the ocean ( taken with std camera no lens)... Pointless uploading them...
So I do regret not having any shots at big granite/tee tree/ Burleigh.... But hey, was I meant to do a "puberty blues" at the missus, and demand she stand in the rain under a pandanus? (Get me a chiko roll!!! ;) )
Anyway, found another disc with some more photos of those 2 sessions..... first one is another kong impersonation lol, but goofy...... 2nd is full sequence of that carve at the wall.. By memory, didn't go the whack off the whitewater cos next section was starting to wall up fast, so just pivoted and ran down the line for a fast floater on the closeout......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 26 May 2014 at 12:41pm
Blowin wrote:

It's all about the shape Welly, size is secondary. At least that's what I'm trying to get my missus to believe.

Thats not what she told me about you;)

blink23's picture
blink23's picture
blink23 Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:17pm

Took my 8 year old daughter surfing and thought i would give her foamie a go! had a ball!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 26 May 2014 at 12:48pm
inzider wrote:

Still riding hard boots welly? How do you up load photos?

"96" was when I threw them in the bin and never looked back, was over the 45 degree plus knock kneed stance dragging the knuckles over hard pack, with all the other knuckle draggers.
I totally rebelled against all my so called hard booter mates at the "Hardbooters" party at barrows pub in Wanaka not long after, got thrown out with my shaved head and eye liner pencilled around my head saying "HARD BOOTERS SUCK COCK" was pretty loose, haha memories ;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:16pm

blink23 - I think you've got spaces between the bracket and the img... Double check that... Also, put it on 2 lines below where yo write ---

here......

blink23's picture
blink23's picture
blink23 Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:18pm

haha yep just sorted it.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:33pm

A mate took this pic of me enjoying some fun summer swell a short drive followed by a long walk from my place.....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:37pm

Well, yorko..... Might be heading over your way next year... ;)

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 26 May 2014 at 1:57pm

Seek and ye shall find Sheepy! Mind you that luscious green spread you have in Tassie looks in stark contrast to the environment down here. More like scrub and dust and limestone rock filled paddocks with cliffs falling to a shimmering blue sea. Great if you like surfing and fishing but;)
The view from my front yard in the morning......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 2:28pm

Was there in 91.... Spent a bit of time in Adelaide.... Stayed at Ardrossen c/van park and had a look around... Went to that cornish festival, drove down to innes, had a paddle and shat myself lol.... Nice spot... Variety, yorko..... A gypsy nomads pleasure.... Been here 5 years now... I think this winter will do me in..... Looking at your area, and another part of S.A where the postman always goes right ;)

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 26 May 2014 at 3:19pm

It's changed quite a bit down here since '91. Sealed roads and more coastal infrastructure like carparks and steps/stairs down the cliffs. Pretty user friendly these days.
More crowds when it's pumping thanks to the internet but so many 3 to 4ft days with no-one around still. It's a nice place to grow old if you can handle the harsh environment and isolation Sheepy! The S.E coastline of South Oz is nice too but still pretty fucken cold in my opinion. At least you can have a garden down there though!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:08pm

Limited options down that way Sheepy, especially when it's big and offshore, and then the summer is relentless with strong S-SE sea breezes. YP would be the pick I reckon.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:37pm

Thanks, Yorko, Craig.... Yorko (and craig), I assume all properties around the "top of the foot" ( yeah, corny right... Don't pine,,, they're the only clues I'll give lol) would be on tank water? Sewage? So a small vege patch is a no go?.... I could set up a grey water system couldn't I? Howzabout internet up there?

Craig, I thought summer down "that way" would have northerlies like Melbourne/adelaide????? What about that stretch where the "pelicans" live, or that port near the beach? Or even that long garment worn for ceremony?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:47pm

Nah northerlies only rock around about every week to week and a half and then between that it's strong south-east winds, strong upwelling and cold water. Same with Melbourne and Adelaide.

Options up near the garment under those conditions if there's swell, but only semi-average beachies.

Summer in SA consists of strong high pressure ridge after high pressure ridge and persistent S/SE winds, with troughs moving in from the west every week/week and a half breaking the monotony.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:48pm

Cheers, man

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:54pm
Sheepdog wrote:

I could set up a grey water system couldn't I?

Yeah but NOT on the leafy veggies Sheepio....!
You will end up with a pooh stance for sure :)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 4:57pm

Welly..... With grey water, not "brown water" lol??? I mean just dishwater, shower water...... Probably high in alkaline (soap), but it'd be ok wouldn't it?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 26 May 2014 at 5:13pm

Most "Biocycles" are grey water (which is brown water as well :) ooops) brown meaning Pooh.
Using the right alkaline products for your dishes, cleaning products in the shower and washing machine does help. They run pretty clean, from going thru different baffled tanks, then thru chloride tablets, but we don't use them on our veggies, no no no....! banana, mango, avocado trees etc yes.
Wash the car, yes and give the dawg a drink...............

NO :)

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 26 May 2014 at 5:17pm

It's all tank water and septic systems down this way Sheepy but if you have enough roof catchment and its not a drought year you can get away with a small garden.
There are areas along the coast where good aquifer's exist (Carribee Basin) and with a bore quite decent water can be extracted for growing gardens. Depends if you want to live in a town or on a small hobby farm. You will have to do your homework on that one.

There's also some good surfable options in SE winds which is one of the major drawcards for summer surfing down here. Hope that helps!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 5:34pm

Thanks heaps guys...... I suppose if I do move that way, I could set up a simple grey water system (poo excluded) for cacti, general garden (non food), and be smart with tommys, chillis etc in pots.... Probably put in a big garage (re' roof catchment) and extra rainwater tank..... But yeah, have to do homework.... Cheers....

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 26 May 2014 at 5:43pm

Sheepy as you and Welly have noted above, I'm the man to talk to about brown water and pooh stances... but it seems you're pretty set on the temperate lats, so I can't really help you out unfortunately :P

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 May 2014 at 5:47pm

Funny, mitch... That wave actually looks bigger than my poo stance wave in tassie lol

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 26 May 2014 at 6:37pm

Haha yeah imagine that, famous FNQ nudist/gay beach surf bigger than underground Tassie! Just checked Ratshit from the road and it didn't look that good, fairly shallow and sandy. There was actually a sup out on Buchan's bar and it looked ok, but this section of beachie and at Ellis were the chunkiest. On that point (suicides?) there were waves but... you know, kinda peaky. I kid you not the day that Ita crossed the coast I was up at Port Douglas and took off on some 4-5ft peaks, shouldering to 3 pretty quickly.

Okay, just tried to measure double overhead against the staircase. Realistically, 5 is a push. And since most surfers talk it down, probs 4. Anyway, enough to speed bump me off one take off!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 26 May 2014 at 6:39pm

YS is on to it, (Carribee basin) etc.

Sheepio, Cacti....? Yeah I know the one haha :)
Make sure you boil it well. Doesn't matter if it's fed with pooh water aw well ;)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 26 May 2014 at 7:02pm

mitchvg, what size foot you got there boy ? 13+

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 26 May 2014 at 7:07pm

Udo, you are a grade a PEST! :P