penong localism

victor's picture
victor started the topic in Friday, 2 Mar 2012 at 11:04am

any stories on penong so called locals,no fucking cameras, surf harassment, shottie pointing, tents being driven over, lotsa shit went down in the 1990s, any one got a story to tell.......remember reading that rabbit and some pros got told to leave,d.c.green as well may have been told to f ck off.......i'm d.c.green ---d.c. who CUNT.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 12:06pm

met them pt fairy boys over west recently...showed them a cupl newbys too and they went home bleary eyed....paybak is gd i'm thinkn!! ay an sid what you know bout cylinders better stay in cylinder!! now them locals are heavy!....juz got back from there recently too,sikest joint!!

funpeeler's picture
funpeeler's picture
funpeeler Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 2:08pm

I have a copy (digitised from VHS) of a classic film made in the 90's - The Desert Surfers. All about Cactus and the locals. Interviews with Moose. Its absolute gold. I should check copyright and put it on youTube.

Here is some blurb.

http://www.safilm.com.au/MadeInSa/Detail.aspx?pro=167

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 2:12pm

schmuie, was refering to Qld cylinders, thats no secret.

nah, straddie boys aren't heavy, they are deadset classics.

straddie has produced some mighty fine surfers over the years... still reckon spechty has got the best full rail hack I've ever seen. period.

dunno Bede, but know his ol' mans best mates and they are really beautiful people.

it's all good. beautiful world.

sunnny's picture
sunnny's picture
sunnny Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 4:29pm

hi all,new here,i was told to check it out as i am mentioned a bit.here are some facts.i have lived in penong since 1980,surfed there since early 70s,glassed ,sanded for gravelle for 20 years recently retired(do dings at caves)and have a deep passion for the places and the people of the far west coast.i mainly sup now i am 60 and get out most se to ne days,no one is banned at caves,but be stupid or a danger to anyone you will be told, just like anywhere.i know jeff and his son,both are good people and they know my view and most others here is that skis are great,they open many more doors,but we love our bay here and dont like seeing even dingys out there ,nothing noisy with a motor hell we dont even like motor bikes in our car park.we stop pros exploiting ,take the money and leave us to mop up,people often say to us 'the place is just like i remember 20yrs ago,thank the localism for that ,if u are polite and dont paddle inside u will have no trouble here,feel free to quiz,cheers sunny

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 4:46pm

Great to have you on the site sunnny, thanks for your post.

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 5:52pm

phil been waiting for you to join in.can you give a full rundown of the area now and how its changed since 1980. the improvements made to the camground e.t.c.locals views re the enviromental issues , few funny stories of what goes down in the desert after a few ales......the boys views on pointers....seen more frequently than the early years do any surfers there wear a shark pod repellant, thats good footage that weasel has on his site of a young sunny in the 70s throwing around a big single fin.......

sunnny's picture
sunnny's picture
sunnny Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 7:10pm

victor?thanks. pods,some believe they atract so they are not being used,improvements make rons job easier but not to everyones liking,visiters ,dont park on bushes our enviroment is everything to us.the area is like it was in the 70s,respect and love each other and their place of worship and it should go on being as it should,special.be kind to each other,sy

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 8:20pm

howdy sunny...good ta see ya on here wit ya real handle!! yeeew....hey lucky that lump out the back of caves is outa .22 range.....me n dino woulda had a few shots thru the riggns over the years!...she produced some gummys that strip of coast....cactus is the most crowded place in SA at times and i can see why they love it....I,as you do, like it when they all go home sometimes too....and i think those times will always be with us..not a fear in the world of that!...been that way for 40 years now..jeff

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 1:55am

had a surf with specht ther at main one day...i rek it was him...i was swimmn and he was gliding over the top...one of the clearest water days i've seen..ther a cupl of characters there...i spent lot of time,fell in love with it. went to bedes triple crown win party was a wild show...he's a ledge!

blackhawk's picture
blackhawk's picture
blackhawk Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 10:59am

smucko cumin ova your way for easter...spilzby should be on ey...gonna be round tha joint?? keen as..

sunny's picture
sunny's picture
sunny Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 3:30pm

Thanks for the facts Sunnny. Looking forward to getting back over there next year. I won't be bring a ski, boat or motorbike just a heap of buds and boards :p

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm

BH....wher ya been?? who are you? were u on the boat last year?......dont forget that this post is about penong and surrounds!!!

blackhawk's picture
blackhawk's picture
blackhawk Thursday, 15 Mar 2012 at 11:32pm

JS the mouth of the south....u so smart.. dont remember BH....last year?? on which boat there were a few..i FORGET....cactus wheres that????

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 2:27pm

BH...hows the big south comin this week...where ya gunna go?? indys..dalys...westcape sat mornin...spilz if the wind drops?..cavatys sat morn for the real men...thistle left...big blax with tommy robinson.....goalen rocks is where i'm gunna be....you comn?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 8:57am

Jeff,
I was just wondering, are you an American by any chance? You tend to big note and name drop like one, so please correct me if i'm wrong in thinking that you may be from the mighty US of A.
Cheers in advance.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 3:26pm

hey seal...nah i'm not but have spent plenty of time there and love it...u been there?? or had a bad experience with a yank?? what do you think of slater?? who's your fav footy team?? do you have a fav player? do you have any autographs from the years gone by? corrected you are wrong, dont feel like i need to name drop either or big note, lifes pretty full brother without makn shit up....here's a bit of wisdom for a critic like yourself..."if you recognise something you dont like about someone else its generally because you recognise and dont like it about yourself"....how else could you recognise it?....the happier we are the less people piss us off....peace champ

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 4:45pm

Just what on earth is your game"jeff"? you said in an earlier comment that you were in fact not jeff schmuker. We are all using avatars on here but why on earth would you pose as an actual-wellknown local when in(if) fact you are not. It seems abit weirdo if you ask me. Speaking as if you were a certain person. Why would you want to push for a comp in your area when you knew it was going to cause such angst among the west coast crew in general. What have been the benefits for the commnity of SB if any or what was it all for?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm

Just wanted to hear Jeff's opinion on whether its cool to tow surf while people are out paddle surfing?. I understand there was an incident where he was taken to court after running into a paddle surfer a few years ago. A chick surfer. So do paddle surfers have a right to surf without being bothered by people on ski's Jeff? Nothing personal mate and all the power to you if its too big/heavy too paddle. Scott

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 7:52pm

barley;u all talk some shit on here so why cant i have a joke from time to time?? easy big fella...you sound like you disagreed with bomi comp? no drama,whatever you think is ok with me...my reasons for doing what i did to help make it happen(obviously it took a lot of people/effort ) are the promotion of kids getn out and havn a krak and not doin crack!! the inspiration it gave a lot of kids and adults alike was and is encouraging...i try not to listen to the neg side as it's a bit of a waste of time...as far as causing angst for local crew, well sorry bout having fun guys you gunna have to live with it. Seems like sad sacks are the ones complaining as is normal. it definitley put streaky on the bigwave world scene....BWWT may be coming to the bomi one day...i'll be right behind it.

Scott; i dont think paddle surfers have the right to tell skis to go away...the rules are 4knts 50 mtrs...so they are the rules...IMPORTANT;the drivers of the skis must be able to drive!! NO WAKE NO DANGER to surfers...as far as court with Anna in elliston at blax a few years ago goes its another load of crap!! Her and Tim are cool ,things seem to have chilled out now....there was a camera and video and spitting in the face incedent that day that could have turned ugly tho i'm sure....maybe some real localism on the westcoast horror stories could have been born!! I managed to keep em all under control so everyone went home pissed off but unscathed.

PS...this is to all you tow critics out there... the number of skis on the westcoast has grown to approx 15-17 and i believe yorkes is growing too. dont forget jeff doesnt own them or tell them what to do. I knew they would increase steadily and i think unless you get off your ass and join them or ban them they will keep growing.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 at 9:08pm

thanks for replying jeff. Like you said no-one has problems with the hardcore underground crew who find our areas with hard work and good attitude. If the comp was such a grand idea why all the fly-in fly-out secrecy. Seems like it was gone about in the wrong way. Have you eva heard about what happened with 'la jolla' after the search was held there? I believe Bob from sceale's recently said "comps are nothing but bad for the environment". I guess that is exactly my point.
There are that many kooks that own a waterhorse now it is getting fucked up. You don't tow if people are paddle surfing fullstop!... Yorkes is getting fucked cause all the townies come down and like they're in the wild west and go berserk. You can't tow 6-8ft or less waves. they either 1.need to be banned, 2. need definite rules or 3 a good old bit of bush management.
Have you eva seen the righthander near camels? P.s please stop naming places.esp brand new ones!!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 12:51am

Jeff .

Do you remember me talking of Laird and Dave Kalama talking about Peahi , Try reading this article ...... ( there is three pages )
" http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/water-activities/surfing/... "

Interesting Dilemna , of keeping things to yourself . You mentioned BWWT , and thats fine .

I know in West Oz alot of Crew are over Blow In's to atleast one " Tow " spot . ( and these guys are extremely cool /laidback people ) .
Anyway , it seems a few have taken to a similar position to the " No exposure Crew " of Vicco .... ie no cameras ......, for the few still secret spots/Bombies that are left ........

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 9:45am

all good you two...you are entitled to your opinions 110% but so is everyone else right?? i dont paddle anymore i only tow and i tow 2ft -15ft and i'm not gunna change...i had enough of the politics in the paddle situation...cant stand paddling with a group of crew anymore......love towing as its a team effort,the maintainence of the ski/trailer/tow equiptment it's all good fun for ME which is important to do what you want to do without forcing anything on others
....i say again to you and anyone who's against it you should lobby the government/marine saftey and get what you want....dont sit around complaining about it-do something!! like "bob" from scales bay on the westcoast working hard to get jeff schmucker banned from the island towing...well after an unfortunate incident there while mik and joel were in town (nothing to do with jeff i might add) jeff was reinstated to tow the ISLAND after being banned from there for 3 years
....so if you wanna stand on the cliff at port campbell and tell jeff or marty or brenno or anyone to fuk off then you need to be ready to follow up if someone disagrees with you....especially if you are a big policeman facing assault charges and leading a movement called "no exposure" all we wanna do is tow two mile when its krankn?? whats wrong with that? i wonder if jeff rowley got grief for putting that bomb on coastalwatch?
i been to jaws and have seen the dilemma first hand with laird-dave-ando and the maui guys...far out they only started goin left after a year or or two....you know what? the left off the bommie is mental too, which makes for a lot more waves to be shared.. i dont get ypur motivation fellas? seems to be tinged with 'jealousy'...juz get on with your own fun whatever it is coz if you were consumed by it you wouldnt have time to fighting the imminent movement of the jetski phenomenom.....
...west cape is a tow wave barley and i havnt even been there...i'm sure its a good paddle up to 4=6 but after that its one of the best tow beachies in oz and i wont back down on that one! you know what? you should try it coz it looks friggn mental and i'm sure if you are fit and you like gettn shacked you'll fall asleep smiln after a day of westcape pits...
...as far as the boys in WA i can think of one place where the boys are off the visiting pros for taking home the glory shots...well it was good to see Taco get $$ and recognition for his efforts coz he's an underground charger of the highest regard...and alfys recent movie of the right!! all i can see there is the motivation that the pros are giving the boys and its a waste of energy to focus on the negative side of it all!
...soz that was a bit longwinded but the missus made me a big brekky and i'm enjoying a cupl days off the ocean while we anticipate this 31@17 204' comin.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 10:25am

“I should have never told anybody about Jaws and never taken a picture, and we’d still be riding it by ourselves today,” he says. “I can only blame myself. So in the end, maybe I’m just disappointed at myself. I should have kept my mouth shut.”
LAIRD HAMILTON march 2012

This is the only comment i didnt like in the article because if we have REGRETS we havnt learnt the LESSON.. i really cant see myself regretting any decision i have made to welcome people//enjoy my surfing life so far. Healy,Greg shane and them guys need to search themselves for truths like all of us too!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 12:48pm

You have a couple of problems there jeff. you do force stuff onto other people when you come out on ski's when other people are paddling. So are you admitting you did actually hit that chick at blax? that just proves how silly this situation can get. Where has your pureness for surfing gone. Only tow surfing everything. That just seems a waste. What does your son think about all this? he obviously still paddles and loves it more than tow. Do you really have the safety/rescue/resus experience and skill level to go tow all these mad spots?Maybe we should do something in legislation but I don't want to spoil your fun. The problem is any tom/dick/harry can get a ski and go tow and be an arse. you need SOME common sense bruddah!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 1:18pm

I never hit Anna at blax...got that clear? stop makin shit up and debate like a man?!! haha
cupl probs?? nah i dont think so...u ok to think that tho...do boogers force stuff on you wen they paddle out and get the waves you cant or will ever get?...i dont agree that I FORCE SUMTHN on someone...its their choice of decision making in their own mind about it...ie;they can choose to be offended or not....however if i'm snaking them with the ski or scaring them by dangerous driving then yes i agree with you that the ski driver is in the wrong
...my pureness for surfing is alive and well contrary to what you think....why do you wear a leggy if you are a stand up paddle surfer? you have lost your own pureness bruddah..
no smoke up my arse but yes i am as qualified as anyone i know and have the knowledge/skill/first aid skills to go to the level of extreme surfing we pursue...i also agree about tom/dik/harry and i'm doin my bit to help them guys be aware....like i said in the last post, get onto the government if you are that passionate about givn us the shits...what a waste of effort tho....common sense has kept me alive thusfar thanx...
josiah loves surfing...he learnt to surf on the end of the rope....bit like getting the BMW before the old holden if you know wot i mean....he and i have done over 3000hours on 3 different skis....hows your maths for barrelsxhour on this one?

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 2:01pm

Jeff, you do force what is quite often an uncomfortable experience onto people when you start buzzing around lineups on skis when people are already paddling.
If you still took the time to enjoy being in a lineup without a jetski you might understand again what people get annoyed about and how a ski running around a line up can ruin a pretty nice experience for people.
Why the no paddling anymore? years of working fishing boats put the shark fear into you?

Also I would have thought that if you were going to do tours you would want to try and keep some mysticism about the place you want to go to and not spruik spots? Even the guys in the Mentawais try to guard any spots that they think may be unknown so that they can try and get their customers into uncrowded waves.
I am sure there are plenty of spots down there that are hard to access, but more exposure will lead to more people and will lead to it being harder to get people into uncrowded waves in all conditions taking away some of the allure of going ona surf tour.

samsmith's picture
samsmith's picture
samsmith Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 3:27pm

Well, I started to take interest in this thread cause it's my postcode..
But geezus, hasn't it turned to a whole lotta hatin ?
What could have turned into some classic yarns from visitors and locals reverted to what?
A whole lot of hate.
Another coupla threads on hating Jeff Schmucker..hey guys, move away from the keyboard, take a deep breathe and go out and enjoy this wonderfull coastline.

No matter what the sayers of doom claim with the ever threatening invasion of "the outside hordes'' the simple fact is there are plenty of waves to go round..

GIVE RESPECT GET RESPECT AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

lopez's picture
lopez's picture
lopez Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 3:56pm

The girl at Blacks tried to climb on the ski, she caused any situation and it was minor.

As for Jeff being a competent driver well I doubt any one has towed as many 10 ft plus days as him.

Regards,

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 6:10pm

well said Samsmith..

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 6:28pm

josiah, a few words from you if you you will....

tripod's picture
tripod's picture
tripod Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 6:36pm

So you do know a few of the laws regarding skis jeff?Why continuously flout them then?Youll have trouble getting a library card soon let alone a charter licence...

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 7:04pm
lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 9:28pm

@ reecen- this is what your looking for

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/great-white-shark-sightings-on-the-...

"Schmucker refuses to paddle out in the surf any more. Instead, he and a partner tow each other behind a jetski to catch waves, which allows them to avoid the hazard of sitting in the water waiting for waves."

"In a three-hour session, I'd be in the water for about six minutes, he said. But if you paddle out for three hours, that's how long you're sitting in the water."

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 9:53pm

IPT ....??? enough said bruz

zambeasl...just about wen someone starts shooting these beautiful birds, someones gunna get pissed off

tripe...i know the laws and have learnt the hard way like you and some of the things you have done wrong...charter lic/fish charter is all done...do you drive around 110kmsph?? dont flout it?? and dont be concerned bruz as i have more than my library card and going for more....even got my roadtrain license a cupl weeks ago...now thats RESPONSIBILITY!!

reec...if there's skis out or about perhaps you should go elsewhere?? read what i have written about you blaming the skis...you make the choice to be bothered by it or not...and i'll answer the final stab for you as well....yes i have a healthy understanding of what a great white can do and how many and where they generally hang....i have been killing them between KI and the border for 30 years plus and now the shark fisherman are goin to vicco...u do the math seeing as you are so smart!!!

ps....tow= keep your toes for longer...paddle south oz and its risky...just a plain fact from someone who knows what they are talkn about>

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 9:56pm

oh and reec...there's plenty of mysto spots coz thats what they are and thats never gunna change....we're going to hit a cupl of them this weekend...yeeeeow

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 11:05pm

Jeff I am pretty sure you said something about paddle surfers dont have the right to tell skis to go away and I dont disagree. But it doesnt change the fact that for a lot of people it puts a downer on a surf when you are paddling and then a ski or skis start buzzing around.
The "final stab" was a question as I have two generations of my family that stopped going in the water because of too much shark exposure, as gay as i tell them they are they wont be getting back in unless it is an emergency. I started having recurring nightmares about them that almost spooked me out of the water but one of the best parts about surfing is sitting out in the elements and taking drops on solid waves so i thought it better to get over it.
I am not very good at math or that smart but i have seen how many big fish live in the ocean including the submarines that give you the nervous shits whenever you think about them.

And there are still mysto spots, but i have seen "mysto" spots away from the spotlight that start to get exposure even just by word of mouth then a couple of emails with a photo attached, that suddenly become a bit of a hassle to surf. Spots that a few years earlier you knew that when they were on it would have only been a small bunch of guys (at the most) with the knowledge and means to get to these places.
Now with fly in fly outs everyone seems to have half the year to go surfing and plenty of disposable cash to throw at getting to remote spots.

After seeing some of the spots in Oz that are probably as hard as anywhere to get to become even semi busy I dont believe for a minute that these mysto spots are always going to be like that cause surfers are greedy pigs in general and when they find out about these mysto spots and work out what conditions they need to break they go onto the watch list.

Hope you get solid, uncrowded, shark free waves the next couple of days.

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 at 11:32pm

I hate jet skis in the water when im surfing Jeff
It does bother me they are noisy and offensive
tow = keep your toes for longer,hey is that the real reason to tow 2 foot?

....even in south oz
I dont believe your paranoid of sharks, you just couldnt be fucked paddling

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 7:34am

kudos reecn...well written...i know people get pissed off about skis...if i wanted to please them types i wouldnt leave the house!! no whiting fishing no sharking no dirt biking no spotlighting no duck shooting no towsurfing no spearfishing....i like all this shit and have some well used toys but alas some ofthese pursuits are all over and it pisses me off like skis in the water piss ol mate silent tap? i not paranoid of sharks i just have a respect for them thats healthier tan most and i'm doing sumth about it... my son paddling 10 hrs a day like i did wen i paddled doesnt help me sleep atnight tho....any help on this one?

blackhawk's picture
blackhawk's picture
blackhawk Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 8:06am

Good comment lopez. I have seen him towing and if ya stop and actually watch what he's doing on that thing you'll be amazed. I have never seen him get caught on the ski,although a couple of times i thought he was going to get smoked then does something completely out of left field and nails the guy on the rope into a bomb with ease. Quite a sight really. If they ever get something like K38 in oz then he should be on the team.

garry-weed's picture
garry-weed's picture
garry-weed Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 9:33am

Duck shooting ?...must be on the wrong forum.Now a duck..That's a beautiful bird...

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 9:47am

gazz....them surfboards you got in the shed...do you see them as beautiful creations or what they really are...stinking product from petroleums...the only thing good in them is the balsa stringer and even that implies environmental disaster,....watch ya tounge when makn comments complaining about ones choice of pastimes...duck is good and waste not want not....did you eat any of them poor cattle in indo last time you went?

sunny's picture
sunny's picture
sunny Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 11:47am

Damn, whats going on down there. Am I going to get uncrowded perfection like I did 25 years ago or is it agro tow heros everywhere. We have enough of them here in QLD so a break from that is what we are after. My personal opinion is that the more talk of a surf area attracts more people and South Oz has been very quiet in forums and media for along time until now. Hate to see a great place go to ruin through loose lips...just look what has happened to NW WA. That was nothing like what I experienced 20years ago last year.
I am sure the sharks keep thing in check anyway...

stanfrance's picture
stanfrance's picture
stanfrance Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 11:50am

Just a straight up question Jeff, why do you mention the name of so many breaks online? Cheers, Dan

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 12:57pm

The answer to anyone's questions directed at Smucko the psychopath clown, it's because it is all about him. He doesn't care how anything he does affects other people cause he's the only thing that matters in HIS world. Even when he thrusts his son onto the world stage, it is more to do with the glorification of Jeff Smucker psycho clown. Are you going to Vicco yet I hope so, as I'm doing a surf trip over your way and I would rather not run into you, but we've met before, so I'll just be polite say hello and be on my way as psycho clowns scare me,

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 1:01pm

Oh yeah, Victor you need a good kick up the butt for starting this thread.

What were you thinking????

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 3:08pm

sunny theres no tow aggro dwn here that i've seen...the only tow aggro i seen was up your joint with joel parko havn a go...u welcome down here anytime tho...should be pumpn as usual...NW WA was never goin to stay the same, it evolving like everywhere..if you come down here then i think that juz makes one less spot in the carpark/lineup...?? true/false??

strait up answer dan...same as the guys in west island left which is the highest viewed topic on swellnet...they juz like talkn bout the good stuff they got and are stoked about it....i'm the same...proud of the westcoast of SA and always will be...juz remember not everyone is a sadsak there!!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 3:09pm

shauna i hope you dont talk to your kids or missus like that....hate breeds hate and you got the staph infection my friend!!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 3:11pm

shauna u beauty....are all the top 50 surfers dads in the world physco glory clowns or you juz angry at sumthn else?

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 3:32pm

Jeff, the thing that has got everyone offside is long held unwritten rules, which have formed part of the SA surf pscychy are being eroded.

Being discreet with names/locations, staying on the beach and letting the locals finish their session before heading out and crowding the lineup, not putting photo's out there to the wider surf community- just generally not popularising the area.

This (to me at least) wasn't done in a mucho redneck way, but by just keeping mouths shut. This not only went for locals but also visitors to the area- no one said/showed more than they had too. And it worked reasonabley well.

But now everyone that has an affinity with the area can see where its going- 5 years ago could any one picture a live streamed contest from YB's? Would anyone have thought they would have seen a couple of top 5 pros at BF's covered by mainstream media? could anyone have pictured people talking online about spots with island in the name so freely like their talking about the weather? A surf charter running on the EP?

And whether we like it or not, you've played a large part in these changes.

I grant its never gonna be Gold coast crowded over there, but it will put more pressure on the more exposed spots which didn't need to be there. How many pro fly in's and photoshoots been conducted in the last 12 months? How many photos of the EP have been published?

Continue to pioneer uncharted tow waves, participate in already established tow contests elsewhere and all that good stuff, its a free world- but people are apprehensive of the media hype that seems to follow and focus on the WC.

What is the driver for it all Jeff, why the need for all the media exposure? As i don't understand?

Cheers & respect

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 23 Mar 2012 at 3:34pm

Top 50? Delusions of grandeur, there is medication for your sickness, don't be ashamed to see a doctor.