Best Break in Victoria??????

bmjgiles's picture
bmjgiles started the topic in Friday, 3 Jun 2011 at 5:13am

thoughts on the best break in victoria?

Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 8:02am

Anyway, should it not be about what is 'your' favourite wave in vico, not 'Best wave'. Too much obsession with verifying what is best- in many / all aspects of life..
Surfing, like art is subjective after all...
My personal favourites would of have to be the beachies on the East side of Melb, (but not so much the peninsula) beautiful spots, always bit of power n variety of banks...

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 8:22am

I believe "Shit can alley" is now called "Inside Gary's"

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 8:50am

"Shit can alley" I've never seen it written before :D

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 2:50pm

Inside Gary's is a dark and foreboding place ... so I'm told.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 3:00pm

hairest place ive ever heard of.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm

it's said, he's cool if your a Brazilian

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Sunday, 8 Oct 2017 at 9:43pm

Inside Gary's used to have a pretty hairy entry point but after a fair bit of maintenance to the Groyne over the last few years it's now typically a well-groomed proposition. Still takes a fair few strokes to get into it though.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 9 Oct 2017 at 8:02am

I heard there's a rather large sewage outlet pipe close by that often ruins the experience for all involved?

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Monday, 9 Oct 2017 at 10:48pm

Nah, mysto spot, muchly overrated. Anyway, who wants ear, nose, throat infections from extreme e-coli bacteria counts, for just mediocre waves. Move along, nothing to see here. Gunnamatta 2nd carpark on a good southerly on a hot summers day, now you're talking.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 10 Oct 2017 at 6:10am

acoupla strokes and a deep pit, with the grower on the inside at Garrys any takers.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 10 Oct 2017 at 6:26pm

I hear Tony Abbott surfs Inside Gary's all the time a place he views as the suppository of all wisdom.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 10 Oct 2017 at 8:42pm

'Strider'-obviously someone who cannot be trusted,

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Thursday, 19 Oct 2017 at 9:29pm
bmjgiles wrote:

thoughts on the best break in victoria?

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Thursday, 19 Oct 2017 at 9:58pm

I gave a spot or two up a while back. They're no more crowded than they ever will be/ have been. If you don't own a boat you won't find half of them. The fishing's scarily good at most of these spots. Lynch was the first to cough them up. Some of them. Real gems are still there. With such a huge coast, Victoria has many options. Put in the time and effort. That next headland. That cove. That Island. That rivermouth. Every dog. I just got tired of rolling the dice on my own. It's exciting but scary trying to get home after commiting to surf alone. Big fish, big tides, big coast. And when you are telling everyone about how good 3-5 foot pumping station was, crew were getting 6-8 shacks with very little crowd south of Otway. When Winki ( bless her restless soul) is 6-8, so are alot of other breaks between Patterson and Apollo. Then you go past Apollo, double that. Zero, no crowds. Sit there waiting.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 10:24am

“I just got tired of rolling the dice on my own. It's exciting but scary trying to get home after commiting to surf alone. Big fish, big tides, big coast. “

So now you enjoy naming as many places as you can on a public forum so you don’t have to surf alone anymore? Nice!

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 11:14am

you're a real tool Maimed

Fleazool's picture
Fleazool's picture
Fleazool Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 12:26pm

Geek stop being so kind.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 4:03pm

“I just got tired of rolling the dice on my own. It's exciting but scary trying to get home after commiting to surf alone. Big fish, big tides, big coast. “

Bigger wanker

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 4:56pm

My favourite wave is a place called elevators also know as massacres great right hander.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 6:08pm

How's the back Evo?

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 7:57am

News travels hey stu? I have 5 fractures in my back 1 in my pelvis (hurts the most)
and crushed my left hand side muscles a lot of work there. All in all can now walk
but not much else life aint that good but on the mend. Thx for asking.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 8:28am

Quick release legrope high on the shopping list

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 8:56am

So Evo ,now the cats out of the bag, what happened?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 10:31am

More racing than surfing me thinks

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 12:26pm

Big surf long leg rope huge wave surge. Jumped of ledge onto wave surge unknowing leg
rope wrapped around rocks 6ft surge sucked out to dry reef next surge wave comes thundering
in smashes me against ledge backwards I'm in massive pain and in trouble does this 4 or 5 times I'm done eventually dry docked stretchered to club house and ambulance to hospital.
Remember always double loop long leggies when jumping in. DUMB mistake

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 1:02pm

Far out Evo that sounds heavy & scary! Good luck with the recovery.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 1:18pm

Farken hell evo that’s brutal. I was thinking it was a car racing accident from the injuries you described. Hope the healing goes well

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm

Yep dumb mistake but your not alone cause i had a mate did the same thing except it wasn't huge surf but jumped off from front of the peg at boulders on a solid day and leggy got caught on a big barnicle so hes hanging upside down watching the next wave come smashing in.Anyway didn't end up in your situation cause it lifted him up and over the barnicle but he was still cut up and freaked out.Its the old could be worse syndrome eh.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 5:03pm

heavy evo, wishing you speedy recovery, knew a guy who dislocated his shoulder wiping out at elevators.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm

Yeah Evo, I found out about it the next day. Sean Austin was up there and told me about it. When he started in on the story I was expecting a funny fuck up story but it was pretty clear how heavy things got.

All the best for recovery.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 22 Oct 2017 at 7:21pm

Goofyfoot writes "So now you enjoy naming as many places as you can on a public forum so you don’t have to surf alone anymore? Nice!"

Geek writes "you're a real tool Maimed"

Fleazool writes "Geek stop being so kind."

Guy writes "Bigger wanker"

So..... Some dude names a few places in a thread where people are naming places...... What is the name of this thread? "Best Break in Victoria??????"
So keep ya fuckn pants on, guys bahahahahahaha.... You all gonn have a go at Evo for naming Elevators???? Nahhhhh.... Didn't think so.

Yeah and good luck with the recovery evo.... We don't always see eye to eye on stuff.... But hey what's said on the field stays on the field.... Good luck with it, man. Glad u didn't end up with Huey in his eternal palace.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 22 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm

Only coz he’s injured sheepy... can’t kick a man when he’s down!
Although if he dared to say Dane Reynolds is a kook AGAIN I wouldn’t hesitate in ripping into him ha ha haa

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 10:53am

nice work sheepy

pittsy's picture
pittsy's picture
pittsy Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 11:22am

Interesting topic, I'm a recreational surfer down this way whose got no interest in chasing down death slabs/some of the gnarlier waves west-way and is happy enough sticking to the known spots around the surf coast and peninsula. That being said I genuinely enjoy reading about the spots, what it's like to surf them, how heavy it is getting in an out etc. Not sure where I'm going with this, carry on..

Fleazool's picture
Fleazool's picture
Fleazool Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 12:42pm

I would have thought some level of discretion would be a good starting point for naming quality breaks? Sorry for getting that wrong.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 5:54pm

I only name them because I have 5 cameras on my breaks at home and I will name the
top 2 Shark Island for one and Cronulla point the other one both exceptional waves on
their day and on world display. So if Cronulla can cop it so can some half deserted place
that very few will venture too.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 6:03pm

So it's western Victorians fault that there's Webcams in Cronulla. Makes sense.

Detox's picture
Detox's picture
Detox Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 6:55pm

Good Fucking Attitude Mate.
Theres something in my back yard i hate, so the rest should have to suffer.

croca's picture
croca's picture
croca Monday, 23 Oct 2017 at 7:46pm

Gee you are a good fella Evo !

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Oct 2017 at 7:22pm

You see....... THIS IS WHY I live on a coast that's shit.... Massive biting flies, noahs, the wrong winds, no cams... Locals that hate eachother as much as visitors.
Its fuckn great :)

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 9:36pm

It leaves most unturned. Or misinterpreted, infact, look at what is not divulged. I still find it amusing that a wave better than Cathies and Winki remains hidden in plain sight. There are 2 more that I wont mention either. I'll give you Invy Bar. It's a long paddle. It can get incredible, you can boat to it. Park in the furniture and walk. Do fish! On slack. Be aware of big fish in the heat of summer. Tides run hard from here from way up Tarwin. A large amount of bait gets drawn in and out of this bar, the same bar that creates the perfect surf. If this is working you will not have troubles surfing Venus. If it is really working , 6-8, everyone else will be surfing towards Patto. The smarties will be between Morgans and Cooks. Or Sandy and Darby. Or at PI. PI would be cooking. So would 2nds, some other tha ng or 3 too. Cuppa yes.

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm

Best right hand beachie may be between Lorne LSC and the dunny block turned restaurant High tide, mid winter. Or the groin past Mantra. 2-4 ft box as rights. Then again.... where are the solid local crew? Bonnies? George? Sledges? Juniors? Infitities? The Islands? The Bays. The River, the wreck, moon cats? SHIT ATT. BLUE MOONS. HOLES? AVon road? Nelson?. Sealers cove? Singapore Deep?. Tullaberga? Cobra? Salmon? Hicks?

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 10:07pm

Yeah. Best left appears outside. Portland crew agree. I have never surfed it. Incredible wave. When Massacres overloads....... Oh well. Lest we forget.

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 10:16pm

Yes, but no. Lynch's left at Lorne is good on a good day. He wouldn't be there. Castles. Whalebone. George, Blue Moons( Sheoke). Maybe something between Adiss and Danger?. Red Rocks? Lol. Close.

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 10:34pm

Yes, after keeping secrets beyond the lives of those who taught you those secrets. When you are 38 and have children who may never surf those places, one begins to wonder. I go by the name " maimed " because I am fucked. Thermal Ben may know 65% of the waves I elude to. After living close to MC and WL I know them all. Gippsland is the great unknown. These days it all there. Boyd to Margaret s. Prom and Islands. That's it. Apollo to Nelson, take a walk. Don't have to walk far. When bells is on, take a walk.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 12:56am

Mick , give it a rest . You got my attention , maybe you should come down and go left with me . I promise only one of us will make back to shore . I love you man , your the only person more deranged than myself , but you still surf like a Gumby !