Best Break in Victoria??????

bmjgiles's picture
bmjgiles started the topic in Friday, 3 Jun 2011 at 5:13am

thoughts on the best break in victoria?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 3 Jun 2011 at 7:01am

It would have to be the left hander off of "No no's" that is called "Not right" ,short but sweet.

gdp's picture
gdp's picture
gdp Saturday, 4 Jun 2011 at 6:43am

Far Far west..past port campbell, long long left hander.

thepop's picture
thepop's picture
thepop Saturday, 4 Jun 2011 at 10:01am

There are none. The place is cold, full of fat waves, has the biggest great white ever caught and blows onshore between April to October. Not worth coming to. Stick to the Goldy or NSW.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 4 Jun 2011 at 11:45am

Ohh mate stop heapin it on Vicco, it blows side shore some days.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 at 3:29am

Best wave in Vicco? - easy. Tootgarook, on the Mornington Peninsula. Superb A frame breaking on a sandy reef. Mebbe Swan Bay some days on a big northerly swell.

The rest of Vicco is shite. Especially 90 Mile Beach.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Sunday, 5 Jun 2011 at 9:23pm

morning ladies! one has surfed vicco a few times and found it to be not bad when one surfed 90 mile , dont know the name of the break but was nice and cross shore winds made the left one was on quite good . that being said have done more driving than actual surfing . the nsw south coast ( pambula to ulladulla ) to be a very consistant and had a great time . rennies , dolphin point , down to summercloud bay is way more consistant than any vicco spots!! but still quite cold for onesself ( dont laugh at me one is bigwayne )

this was bought to you by a stoked the rain has eased so he can start pushing dirt around again HRH bigwayne

jacknaylor's picture
jacknaylor's picture
jacknaylor Monday, 6 Jun 2011 at 1:15pm

Have to say Bells has it's day, was there on Sunday -

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 6 Jun 2011 at 11:30pm

Have to say Bells has it's day, was there on Sunday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QXoMbDB8Zw

By: "jacknaylor"

Well there you go, an epic day in Vicco, fat with big sections dropping. Why was it epic you ask? The sun was out.

i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 12:13am

Only one place worth mentioning. Lunas

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 1:06am

By: "i-u-brawn"

Get the name right dufas.

i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn's picture
i-u-brawn Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 1:52am
"i-u-brawn" wrote:

By: "shaun"

Get the name right dufas.

Luna Park, Luna, Poaches, Lunas, Loonies...call it what you will

scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 3:41am

without having ever paddled out in the state, from what i can remember seeing in a surfing atlas of australia - express point on phillip island looked quite appealing. Unfortunately i can only imagine it would look equally appealing to many, many others.

cac's picture
cac's picture
cac Tuesday, 7 Jun 2011 at 9:56am

Have to say Bells has it's day, was there on Sunday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QXoMbDB8Zw

By: "jacknaylor"

Thanks for the link, couple of me in that one, not epic but fun.

Winki clean and over 8ft is a quality wave but hardly ever happens. Vic's big left is very high quality but even more fickle.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 7:31am

Indo like tubes that you dont see very often down here!

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Wednesday, 8 Jun 2011 at 1:56am

I assume you mean the one at the entrance to Swan Bay...? Yep, that must be it.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 8 Jun 2011 at 3:06am

I assume you mean the one at the entrance to Swan Bay...? Yep, that must be it.

By: "whaaaat"

Was it that obvious? I was trying to be sneaky..
Angry locals there sometimes, not too mention angry sharks too.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 7:31am

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 10 Jun 2011 at 4:24am

Most waves are good for a paddle out; it just depends where your head is at. Surf = fun.

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Friday, 10 Jun 2011 at 6:15am

Fuck as if we would let all the cats out of the bag! Lots of best waves down here but you gotta find them yourself.
Go and find em yourself and keep quiet when you do.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Jun 2011 at 5:24am

Surfed a long sand bottom right (not a beachie) that was like kirra for two days 10 years ago, but beleive it hasn't been like it since.

Theres some good hollow peaky beachies around if you know where to look also.

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 11:03pm

So many great breaks. Changes with sand, swell & wind. I recently wrecked my leg. May never surf again. Shame, as I have a young fella, 4, who I always had hoped to share the waves of Vicco with.

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 11:08pm

Su..y.....s? Still gets sick first big swell after a heap of SE wind over summer. Low tide. Everyone bar the local grots drive past it. Or take there number in 6 to 8ft bells/winki/ cathies line.

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 11:09pm

So many great breaks. Changes with sand, swell & wind. I recently wrecked my leg. May never surf again. Shame, as I have a young fella, 4, who I always had hoped to share the waves of Vicco with.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 7:09am

just read bigwayne's comment, always entertaining. Where are you bigwayne?

Timm-Dah's picture
Timm-Dah's picture
Timm-Dah Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 12:25pm

Mate, this is why Vicco rock's out, everyone wants warm-water, Bull Sharks & Bronzee's, meanwhile, the real-sh*t happens here in solid swells that are as you say (complain about??), Phat, Powerful & not for the weak-minded. Add to this some freezing cold water and yes, big bloody great white sharks and the sport down here is a true mind-over-matter effort. Further south has some of the biggest waves on the planet thanks to the southern oscillator...these eventually shift up the east coastline anyway, so without the cold, you get nothing. Stable conditions bring no (virtually flat) waves, which happens a fair bit in QLD.

But the best thing about it all, it's not crowded one bit. (IMHO) - minus all the usual haunts, which are not the best waves on offer, Bell's is over-rated..and I agree with non-local, just keep ya trap's shut.

T-d.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 1:02pm

I've ALWAYS avoided the "surf coast".... In fact, i've never surfed bells.
Surfed around westernport a bit back in the old days.. Couple of gems down there but i'd assume they are crowded as fuck now. Crapped myself at express when I was a youngn... Fuck hot wave that one...
But in the early 90s, when I was a far more advanced surfer than those splashing around like a fucktard days, I was driving along towards the S.A border, and decided to turn off the main road.... "Wreck bay" like reef.... Super fun 4 to 6 foot lefts.... Lost a bit of skin but worth it..
There was some lady on the beach running her greyhounds... Classic day.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm

Ha ha. Viccos on here trying to throw people off the scent? And why the fuck not, I say!

Spent a lot of time over there. Yeah, it's ordinary. Don't bother.

Anyway, anyone remember an old Hawthorn player - Richard Loveridge?

He wrote a book back in the 80s called "A Guide to the Surf Beaches of Victoria"

Fark! That was some detailed stuff! Including maps, access info, synoptic charts!

Subsequent editions/versions get edited or what?!

NUP!

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 1:28pm

all the complaining I do (and by golly I do a lot) about home always get out weighed by the times when you get waves on with just your mates..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 2:54pm

Having lived in VIC, TAS, NSW, QLD as far as waves go VIC generally kinds sucks but what it lacks in quality it makes up for in consistency pretty much always get a wave maybe only a week out of the year when its too small to surf.

Ive got that book "Guide to Victoria surf beaches" book, and gee's it doesn't leave much stones unturned.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 5:05pm

Well said, Nick Bone..... I remember sometimes months on end from late winter to xmas up in Qld, where it was just total shit.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 6:35pm

I've heard a lot about Richard's book , and I think I've even had my paws on it at some time when I was young . As much it reveals , I still think it never said too much about the real secret spots . Atleast the quality ones that rarely turn on .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 7:18pm

Still plenty of spots in Vicco totally off the radar, I've got that book somewhere and it tells only part of the story.

VicRhino's picture
VicRhino's picture
VicRhino Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm

Just gotta know where (and when) to look ....
I rarely surf with more than a handful of blokes - just gotta put in the effort

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 10:25pm

Victoria has so many spots that work a lot and fussy locals. Used to surf fun reefs around torquay empty in seabreeze conditions. Looked crap but the faces sucked clean and were very rippable. Like secret spots hidden in plain sight. The b grade spots are fun and consistent. Beach breaks such as woolamai get excellent and further down the road similar beachbreaks peel away with no one out. Victoria is not really where you travel to surf sunny perfection, but those who live there get more good day to day surf than most other aussies.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 8 Sep 2017 at 11:47pm

Vicco is total shit. Yeah, nah?

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 3:25am

Didn't RL get run out of town after the book and lives in Qld?
Nah Vicco very average surf!

Maimed's picture
Maimed's picture
Maimed Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 5:13pm

Vic has some of the best waves in Aus. Any of you geese looked behind the prom? Islands, passes, beachies? East coast low? Portland? Apollo Bay area? Corsair? Spooks? Between sandy pt and the prom. Invy bar? St George, better than Cathies. Airies? Between Castles and rivermouth. Cannonballs?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 6:24pm

Who gives a shit what other people think maimed, if you're getting good waves good on you have nothing to prove most of all in on0line forums

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 6:44pm

Shut up maimed you flog

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 6:49pm

I was wondering how long that'd take.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 7:15pm

Well fuck me, why??

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 7:32pm

Because keeping a secret is painful.

Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin Thursday, 5 Oct 2017 at 5:52pm

smiths beach is the best break in Aus. The end

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 5 Oct 2017 at 6:43pm

fuckin cold in winter but who ever writes off vicco is an idiot.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 9:59am

As Gary always says, give someone enough rope... and they'll make a beautiful Macrame hanging.

Maimed, Gary would appreciate if you stuck to the real names when identifying spots. The best breaks in Vic are, in order:
Gary's
Gary's
Inside Gary's
Gary's Point
Gary's Drive
Gary Rock
Gary Nose

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 1:24pm

Word on the coast is that Gary's is backdoored on regular basis. True?

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 2:30pm

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 4:16pm

how about shit can alley..... na express point.

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 4:30pm

how about uncrowded Winki @ double over heavy ?

Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin's picture
Sharkfin Saturday, 7 Oct 2017 at 7:55am

Yeah but Winki is NEVER uncrowded, unless it's 10-15 ft maxing... Still in a crowded day there if ur patient n put in the work your garunteed a higher wave count you could ever dream of at Snapper, Burleigh etc