south straddie

localsonly's picture
localsonly started the topic in Saturday, 21 Aug 2010 at 9:39am

someone needs to shoot the guy who takes kooks over their im so over it!!!!!!!!!!!!! tell us what you think

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Saturday, 21 Aug 2010 at 10:04am

hell yes!!! paddle you girls! its really not that far or hard!

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Sunday, 22 Aug 2010 at 1:27am

Never taken the taxi, never will. From a business perspective, I think Dale had a good idea and it's obviously working well for him. There's talk he did a deal with the regular straddy surfers and agreed to only drop punters near the wall as long as they didn't hassle the crew he took over. Although I think he sticks to that agreement loosely. I started surfing TOS when you were happy to see a few other surfers in the water over there, but that was a long time ago. Now days, I cruise a bit further afield on the weekend. I guess we have to expect crowds on the Gold Coast to only get worse. Eventually it will be like that craphole narrowneck, but full of tossers who think they are the real deal hardcore surfers.

For sure the standard of surfing over there is more variable then it used to be, I see so many tools paddling for waves but pull back if the wave jacks up, or can't seem to make the drop if it barrels. So frustrating when you try to let everyone get some and the same knob keeps blowing the drop. Has Dale contributed to that, IMO sure has, it's so easy to get over there now,that heaps of surfers that would never go now can.

The sad fact is you don't have to like it, but get used to it, in 10 years time you'll think it was so uncrowded.

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Sunday, 22 Aug 2010 at 9:41pm

Dale is a good guy, when your a regular he gives it to you for a discount. The spit is 360m so its 720m all up. Soon everyone will have their own jetski... thats what its getting to...
An advantage with dale is if your on his text list, he will let you know when its cranking.

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Sunday, 22 Aug 2010 at 9:50pm

Just paddle over there you pussies...
If you can't make the paddle, you won't make the take off... :(

my_opinion's picture
my_opinion's picture
my_opinion Sunday, 22 Aug 2010 at 11:14pm

I refused to catch the water taxi for ages because the best wave on the Goldy used to have 20 people on it max, now has 200 on a good day thanks to Dale. The days he isn't running (which is rare) there is still only 20 people on it even when its good, so it makes you realise exactly what impact he's had.

BUT in the last few months I've thought, fuck it. Its not like if I dont catch it then he's gonna go away, it wont make a scrap of difference he'll still be there every day. The reality is its quicker and easier, I get to surf longer, its only $6 bucks and he's a nice bloke. I miss the days when it was uncrowded but those days are gone.

If things WERE to go back to the way they were though I would definitely prefer it. That would take a massive amount of work and unity I think, the majority of taxi users would have to stop using the service, maybe a few legal aspects would have to be considered such as the fact that he has no official hours or days of operation noted anywhere, no timetable or any other information, and probably a few other angles to explore.

I personally dont know if I could do that to the guy, but would it be worth it to get Straddie back to the way it used to be? I'm leaning towards 'yes'...

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 3:02am

i bet we would recognize each other on this forum...weird

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 3:17am

surfing is getting more popular get over it, more kooks wanting to try new spots, and with technology advancing it is pretty much inedible that a taxi would end up going over the seaway, their surfing skill will catch up on them once they get over the other side anyway.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 4:02am

^^ I think the word you were looking for was inevitable radbone?? :p

my_opinion's picture
my_opinion's picture
my_opinion Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 4:53am

Nah he means you cant eat the taxi on the way over to Strad. He's right, I've tried.

radbone08's picture
radbone08's picture
radbone08 Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 4:55am

oh yeah my bad hahahaha

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 6:15am

yeah i have surfed straddie with only 5people and it was amazing best surf i have had but now... paddling isnt that bad the crowds would go down dramatically if the taxi stopped on a crazy day over their i have heard the taxi guy has had his tires slashed couple times

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 6:17am

one thing sucks their isnt anywhere to put your bags my shit got stolen couple weeks backk fucking bum stole my mates shoes scummy as ones LOL!

nath's picture
nath's picture
nath Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 6:21am

if you cant even do the paddle why should you be going to straddie ffs

straddielocalss-y's picture
straddielocalss-y Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 7:02am

straddie for life mother fucker and whoever drives the boat is a good should be shot along with the guy who drives it. if you cant paddle over what the point of trying to surf straddie and its not TOS you poughta whoever said that its south straaddiee(Y)

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Monday, 23 Aug 2010 at 11:00pm

straddie locals

just need to get over it. the boats there, and it will be used. i too remember riding my pushie up there when it was a dirt road and paddling across for a magical surf with a couple of dudes.
And as for calling it TOS, it was quite regularly called the other side (which is what TOS is short for i guess, and it was the other side), but anyway, thats just semantics, and to get upset about it shows a certain amount of wankerness.
and yes there were less people over there before the taxi, but how long ago was that, 10 years, i dont even know. but hes there, and if you are that hardcore and stupid not to spend the 6 bucks, then you'd be considered a bit of a dick in my books. but good on ya for keeping it real. i'll give you a wave from the boat on my way over and back next time.

keep giggling

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 12:58am

Who cares what you call it straddie local, we all know the spot, hardly a secret anymore. Perhaps you should protest outside the local news station, how dare they show it in the arvo surf report!! (That's sarcasm if you didn't recognise it)

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 6:22am

shut up evo your probably a try hard surfer kook

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 10:23am

classic Localsonly. couldn't, wouldn't and definitely shouldn't expect anything else from you. name says it all.
hold your head high on your paddle over.

giggling at ya, chump.

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 12:19pm

paddling over makes your paddling stronger. i like the training. guys on the boat are prolly scared of sharks and or hard work this =.....
it takes about 3-4 minutes hard paddle over (and a bit of a stroll) and you feel stronger for it.

catch the boat, give old mate some coin but know your softer for it.

sunny_coaster's picture
sunny_coaster's picture
sunny_coaster Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 12:48pm

As a sunny coaster, I guess I am a blow in, but I still get boards from Stu at Miami. Once a year a trip down for a new board is an excuse for a Paddle over. I am happy to say I have never yet taken the boat because that would just not be as fun. I have nothing against the guy making money and what a workplace (I think anyone complaining is jealous they didn't come up with the idea). I have done this once or twice a year since 1992 and I have great memories of the paddle over and back. Some funny some stressful, ie paddling back with a fin gash and watching a mate sh^# himself when a dolphin popped up right beside him. Now it is a family tradition as my 15yr old son and possibly this year my 13yo daughter wants to join in the fun. If she freaks when we get there I will pay the 6bucks for her but I know me and the boy enjoy the paddle! It is part of the ADVENTURE that makes South Straddy something other than just another goldy beach break.

evo62's picture
evo62's picture
evo62 Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 9:05pm

Is that the best you got localsonly? Pffst......

You're just exposing your own inadequacies mate. Give up while you are ahead.

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 11:52pm

no way the whole experience is hitch hike to spit paddle over and surf a gnarly wave but the tossers who catch the boat are the people who are either too scared to paddle or unfit fat cunts stradddie mother fuckersss

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 11:53pm

sunny coaster and nope yeww keep the true spirit up stradieee locall@@#$%T

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Tuesday, 24 Aug 2010 at 11:59pm

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 12:25am

localsonly, we have all paddled it at some stage. Your keep emphasizing the paddle, like your a hero for doing it, what do u want a medal? Yeah the paddle is fun for the first 10 tens, then you get over it and just want a quicker surf.

Fair?

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 12:35am

i guess if there was a ferry for the public i wouldnt have a problem if surfers used it.
call me whatever but id still not wanna catch it.

its like catching a taxi 5 minutes down the road. would you do that?

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 2:48am

yeh catch a taxi 5mins down the road woot woot oi ed nice spelling - Yeah the paddle is fun for the first 10 tens,- LOLOLOL sth straddie cunts

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 2:50am

boogers rep

manners's picture
manners's picture
manners Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 3:12am

Prediction: Within the next 10 years the GCCC and other development minded groups will go ahead with a revamp/expansion of the broadwater. Possibly involving docking facilities for large passenger liners or at the very least, "Super Yachts". If the boat traffic using the seaway increases or cruise ships begin to arrive I think questions will be asked about the safety issues involved when surfers paddle the channel. I can easily imagine laws being introduced to try and prevent surfers paddling the seaway. It may be hard to police but when it happens they may have to provide alternatives, such as a public ferry service or more people like Dale. I'm not saying it's a good thing but i reckon it will happen, so better get used to getting to straddie by means other than the paddle.....

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 3:25am

localsonly

you are a fool.
and yes, i would catch a taxi five minutes down the road. on my calculations, that would have to be at least 5 kms. and you'd walk that. the only reason i can see you walking that is that you're piss poor and cant afford it. and judging by you comments, i'd say you were in the piss poor category.

you are a chump

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 3:30am

and where exactly are you from localsonly. i'd say maybe main beach, if you're lucky, which doesnt make you a south straddie local at all (just close), and just some chump who surfs there a bit. get over it.

chump again dickhead

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 3:31am

sorry, only post when i feel its needed. But chumps like localsonly (again, name says it all) really shit me off.

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 3:32am

locals only how old are you dickhead? you paddle across on a boogyboard, using flippers..neck up, grow up and piss off too fluidzone

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 3:55am

Localsonly

i'm pegging you as a grumpy old man who happened to have a bad surf on the morning you started this thread.

End of this thread hopefully.

although, i'm looking forward to your retort :)

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 4:35am

sorry, just a couple of questions

Localsonly

if you can give your age and suburb you live, that would go a long way to answering a few questions for me.

if you dont, then i have to make a few assumptions.

1st: you are late 30's early 40's
2nd: you grew up in main beach (mainy you'd call it), however, through rising house prices/rent, you've been pushed out to, maybe labrador (close?). this has left you pissed off and resenting the world for what has happened.

oh yeah, and you have a massive chip on that shoulder of yours. you also drive a ute, love a XXXX, sometimes rum (although your missus doesn't like it when you do) and have "4217" (post code for main beach (mainy for you), even though you havent lived there for quite some time) tattooed somewhere.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 6:48am

Hey if localsonly is a local, why the fuck does he need to paddle the seaway? Is it so he can go shopping at Pac fair or go to play on the merry-go-round at Seaworld maybe? I'd have thought if he is a local he'd live on the island and not be paddling anywhere except out in the lineup, so he's having a real tug on it. If he is a booger as remarked by others that would go a long way to explain his childlike behaviour as we have established on other threads(under 10yrs old or gay)! Localsonly grow up! tosser.

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 7:43am

Localonly,

Ok, so you rip on me for my spelling mistake...fair enough. If your going to insult someone about their spelling, make sure you can spell as well. You spelt Yeh & Yeah two different ways in that post, then decided hyphens might look cool.

You are shit at life, you started this forum and by page 4 everyone has raped you.

simsurf's picture
simsurf's picture
simsurf Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 8:15am

I am not really sure what is so hardcore about paddling through your own crap, but each to their own.

'Treated wastewater is released at the Gold Coast Seaway on an outgoing tide in order for the plume to be dispersed before the tide changes and re-enters the Broadwater estuary.'

Now days anyone can see the wind direction minute by minute and check the wave buoy updated every hour or whatever.You have to be slow not to be able to work out if it going to be on or not. Paddle or taxi it is going to get crowded.

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 12:19pm

ok larry ill spell it out for you in the real life senario it is;

5 mins walking = 1 minute taxi down the road. again. would you do that? including standing in the cue for it.
at a guess the taxi would come to about $4. but i bet most would walk.

i recon my point about being stronger for paddling is spot on. not trying to sound like a tough guy at all. stronger paddling = easyer wave selection and entry = less foam = better surfing. i dont like gyms so the only training i get is through actually surfing.

catch the taxi and continue looking through all the glossy catalogs about which board will make you surf better.
little tip, you are the only one that can improve your surfing. its your choice to be lazy.

calling people piss poor and a chump because of being piss poor isnt cool. this makes me think of you as a snotty nosed kid a suit or the REAL chump that is insecure so you spend money to ´fit in´. looking down on people because of their position in life. eg; look at those starving .... how lame are they?
bet you have $120 boardies and a firewire too huh? wow you have coin to burn very impressive.

your all jumping on a grommet obviously taking the piss outta you. whose the chump(s)?

sunny_coaster's picture
sunny_coaster's picture
sunny_coaster Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 12:46pm

Ha Ha Shite we are all a bunch of knuckle draggers (meself included) how the hell did we ever advance to the point of designing watercraft and then using them to amuse ourselves in the ocean. Walk/Ride Paddle/Ride personal choice - probably shouldn't over analyse. I will paddle to South Strad for a good wave but will wait for a mate with a boat to get out to Old Woman Island (great crowded wave like South Strad) same/same different choice.
But thanks this forum is great entertainment while bored as doing a 12hr night shift

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 8:59pm

old women is a hoax dont go there its on the south side near moreton, paddle if you want.

larry's picture
larry's picture
larry Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 10:50pm

nope nope and nope

get enough paddle practice surfing points in SE qld and nth NSW. as for cashed up, six bucks is six bucks, and i'll pay it everytime.

the problem i have with localsonly, is that hes a wanker who thinks he owns south straddie. and i dont thinks he's a grom taking the piss. just a pissed off old man who had a bad crowded surf the morning he started this thread.

anyway, thats it from me.

and no, my boardies only cosy $110.

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010 at 11:13pm

fair mate, do what ever you like.
just dont make fun of people for their possition in life that you know nothing about.

6 bucks is 6 bucks and it takes some people close to 1/2 an hour to earn. damn some people would be stoked to have the oppertunity to earn that in an hour. (os)

pay the boat guys wages im happy for him. just pissed at the crowds he generates.

but if you pay $110 for pretty boardies, cant paddle 100 meters and laugh at less fortunate individuals im calling you out as soft.

accept the label and theres no argument.

i live no where near the joint and cant stand driving through the traffic to get there but love the wave from the few times mates have dragged me along, and feel for the crew who surfed it b4 the soft boat catches. simple point of the thread;

BETTER WITHOUT THE BOAT!

my_opinion's picture
my_opinion's picture
my_opinion Thursday, 26 Aug 2010 at 2:16am

I agree with 'nope' to a certain extent, but I think you need to paddle it more than "a few times" to get a clear picture. I surf there every day (apart from when its not worth it) and the paddle gets pretty tedious and annoying, for instance on a run-in tide and decent size east swell you have to a) walk 5 min to the end of the break wall, b) paddle pretty hard against a strong current and decent lumps, c) scramble up surging rocks without getting the odd decent scratch, then d) walk another 5 min over the other side to try to find a less crowded peak.

The boat is easy, 1 min and you're there. I never understand the mentality of people who think they're superior to others because they chose the hard path, thats pretty backwards. If anything a person should feel superior (if you're into that kind of shit) for choosing the easier path because that would make them smarter...

If I'm pushed for time these days (or a big swell) I'll take the boat, but if there was a chance that me not catching it would mean that the boat was gone forever I wouldn't hesitate to stop using it ever again. And I know for a fact that if it no longer operated, the line-up would go back to 20 dudes max, because in the last 3-4 months there have been some epic days over there when the boat wasn't operating, and there was hardly anyone there, including a day when it was 4ft, clean as a whistle and only one other bloke there on the whole stretch.

Straddie regular - 7yrs and counting
Part time paddler, part time passenger
Still yet to glimpse a shark, touch wood...

ed's picture
ed's picture
ed Thursday, 26 Aug 2010 at 2:45am

my_opinion, you know your shit! With those conditions you describe, thats the real time it takes to get over there.

localsonly's picture
localsonly's picture
localsonly Thursday, 26 Aug 2010 at 4:01am

im a grom ya fuckwits

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Thursday, 26 Aug 2010 at 12:09pm

lol so in reveiw;
normally paddling isnt hard and itd be better if the boat fucked off.
if you paddle the tweed its 3> mins and crew drive 15 down a gravel road. paddling to find that car park full astounds me. new topic!

sunny's picture
sunny's picture
sunny Friday, 27 Aug 2010 at 8:57am

No to boat. I live in a high density surf coast in QLD with a similar set up to South Straddie and it is one of the few remaining places that is not crowded with surfers jamming up the clear blue barrels that are served up regularly to those who choose to make the risky paddle. Risky meaning mass tidle surge, nasty noahs and being run over by boats.
A place where it is untouched and preserved by nature itself...seems to do a good job with out hords of people over running the fragile dunes, folage and native wildlife, which makes it so special in the first place.
To surf places like South Straddie is about appreciating that it is not a part of the Gold Coast, sure the waves are epic but catching a taxi to surf the place is really missing the point of the escape (if you call it that now).

reflex's picture
reflex's picture
reflex Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010 at 2:17pm

I paddle out of my own personal choice, but dale is a really nice guy and he will give me a ride back for free all the time. So i guess i get the best of both worlds. I must admit though when the 'kook bus' is not running it makes for very uncrowded and great sessions but hey I understand the attractiveness of not paddling if you have limited time to surf or something. Boogers ruin straddy more for me than the water taxi and im betting localsonly is one of the goobers who graffiti pipe with rubbish like "booger bowl", "fuck off standups". Learn to stand up you kook

straddielocalss-y Thursday, 2 Sep 2010 at 4:44am

just shoot the cunt