Board/s you've always wanted to try and why

cycd's picture
cycd started the topic in Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 4:30pm

Like most surfers I love trying new boards and tweaking fins etc etc

Interested to hear what new board/s that you've wanted to try and why the design has sparked your interest. Also if you have recently picked up a design you have thought about and if it went well/how you thought it would etc

I have recently bought some away from my main shaper/s (Byrning Spears and Maurice) as I was really keen to see how they went... the two designs have been the Webber desert storm that has been well discussed in here (7'6 and 8'8) and I just picked up a NPJ Duo (6'1) on new years day.

The DS has been great (both boards), they have worked well for primarily the reason I wanted them.... to catch waves double overhead and above with ease. They have also made paddling out to deep water waves and out of the impact zone a much more pleasant task.

I wanted to try a Duo put of curiosity for ages so I ordered one....I now have just had my third surf on the Duo this a.m and am pretty much blown away... speed of a twinny/quad with the hold of a single, loves a bit of push not really a groveler but performs well enough in small stuff (like this am).... super smooth underfoot.... cant wait to get it into some hollow waves as I think it will excel. I'm already thinking a mid length Duo would be a winner for pumping days.

On the bucket list/or to try are: Wayne Lynch widowmaker (I love riding singles from time to time because they make you concentrate on staying in the power source etc... I have heard people rave about Wayne Lynch singles and 2 + 1's and want one for the quiv), Freeflight 10 channel single fin (same reason and they look mean), Von Sol Shadow (looks like an epic groveler/all rounder) .... and I do like the look of the Mayhem tube pig for the reefs at home (couldn't see myself ordering a mass marketed board though)

Anyone have any bucket list boards or good feedback from a newbie?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 12:18pm

a peter berry board...

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 11:04am

Damn, I like your taste cycd.
My main board is a byrning spear, while MC's are on my hit list particularly the protow and metro.
I also want to try a duo and now from what you just said, I really want to try the duo out. Those freeflight singles I've been super keen to try too. Would like to compare a 6, 8 and 10 channel to see if I can notice anything, (I doubt I could) :).

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 1:30pm

lostdoggy wrote:

Damn, I like your taste cycd. My main board is a byrning spear, while MC's are on my hit list particularly the protow and metro. I also want to try a duo and now from what you just said, I really want to try the duo out. Those freeflight singles I've been super keen to try too. Would like to compare a 6, 8 and 10 channel to see if I can notice anything, (I doubt I could) :).

Damn straight LD. If I had a spare thousand in the kicker I'd stump up for a Phil Myers Free Flight ten channel singley. I had a beautiful 6'8" six channel AB that was unfortnately snapped. Would love to replace that (obviously gotta be second hand). I've seen a few of Corey Graham's shapes that I really like though don't know model names etc. I've never owned a Mackie fish and have recently seen some incredible versions - I'll add one of those to the list thank you very much. Plus a Mitchell Rae V2, say around 6'6" or 6'8". Then top it off with a Jed Done flex tail twinny.

I've got a Webber modern banana board on order but now that Kelly has upped the ante I've got no idea when Greg will get it made. Stu Paterson is also halfway through making a 5'8"/5'10" asymm for me but we've gotta finalise tail design and fin config.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 1:43pm

I saw a really pretty 6'0" Bonzer in the window the other day and without really thinking too much, threw a deposit at it.....probably have paid it off by this time next year but really wish I had it the last couple of days.

Several times been chatting to Phil and had to stifle myself from ordering a channel bottom. Damm they look sweet.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 1:59pm
stunet wrote:

Damn straight LD. If I had a spare thousand in the kicker I'd stump up for a Phil Myers Free Flight ten channel singley. I had a beautiful 6'8" six channel AB that was unfortnately snapped. Would love to replace that (obviously gotta be second hand). I've seen a few of Corey Graham's shapes that I really like though don't know model names etc. I've never owned a Mackie fish and have recently seen some incredible versions - I'll add one of those to the list thank you very much. Plus a Mitchell Rae V2, say around 6'6" or 6'8". Then top it off with a Jed Done flex tail twinny.

I've got a Webber modern banana board on order but now that Kelly has upped the ante I've got no idea when Greg will get it made. Stu Paterson is also halfway through making a 5'8"/5'10" asymm for me but we've gotta finalise tail design and fin config.

There's another two from my list. Damn you Corey Graham instagram, haha. And assyms of all shapes and sizes, still haven't tried any, and I'm also still curious in the difference between how MC says he shapes them for lefts or rights yet most others shape them for goofy or natural stance.

tedwardo's picture
tedwardo's picture
tedwardo Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 2:10pm

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 3:20pm

That little brown fish Rasta rides in castles in the sky looks too fun and i think would suit me.
Also a Josh dowling 6 channel or 4 channel quad.
Id like to replace a banksy fish i once had that i gave away to a mate in indo- well left it at his house and havent seen it since as i havent made it back there.
I have another banksy round tail fish here but it just doesnt have the squirt (: and feeling as the one i left in indo.
An assymetric for left barrels home shaped which i never got around to as a room mate moved into my spare room.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm

lostdoggy wrote:

And assyms of all shapes and sizes, still haven't tried any, and I'm also still curious in the difference between how MC says he shapes them for lefts or rights yet most others shape them for goofy or natural stance.

My current asymm was shaped by Chris Garrett and his theory is wave direction - longer rail off the bottom, shorter rail off the top. I had mine shaped for a right point and so for a few weeks was reluctant to take it out in lefts. Once I did, however, I realised that theory didn't work for me, it's longer rail for toe side (to drive) and shorter rail for heel side (for pivot) irrespective of the wave direction. Fact is, the board goes just as good in lefts as it does in rights. I even surfed it at six foot Cloudbreak in July.

This is the theory I'm sticking with on my next asymm though I'm gonna get a thruster rather than quad.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 3:07pm

freeride76 wrote:

I saw a really pretty 6'0" Bonzer in the window the other day and without really thinking too much, threw a deposit at it.....probably have paid it off by this time next year but really wish I had it the last couple of days. Several times been chatting to Phil and had to stifle myself from ordering a channel bottom. Damm they look sweet.

Local shape or Campbell Bros?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 3:34pm

Campbell Bros, Malcolm shaped it when he was here in Oct.

The guy at the shop got it made on spec and it just so happens to be in perfect dims for me.

It's gunna be a tough one to hide.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm

I had a lovely Byrning Spears channel bottom in the early 90's, bought second hand and I'm pretty sure that it was ridden or at the very least shaped for Kong. I got some of the best tubes of my life on that thing including one burned into my brain at Kirra. My little bro borrowed and snapped it at Kirra. I'd love to replicate that.

Boards I'd like to try/own? MC Metro or ATM and classic Banks semi-gun. I'm not really into retro boards or twinnies but I've got a short, fat, wide twin keel shaped by some bloke down in Chiba which is a ton of fun on the right day.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 4:27pm

Zenagain i havea banksy 7'0 you can have if you pay for postage. its still at my mums house near Cronulla.
Is pretty old and a bit yellowed, good condition glass though. Not sure if your brother could pick it up if he lives near Sydney. It needs to go as my mums selling house.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 4 Jan 2016 at 5:20pm

That's a very kind offer groundswell but last time I got a board (x 2 in a box) freighted to Japan it cost me $500 and then I had to pay another $50 import duty.

Bro's in Brissie but if he reads this I'll see what he thinks.

Cheers man, very gentlemanly of you.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 12:00am

I think you should make him an offer, stunet. A perfect condition 6'8" AB ;).
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm-beach/surfing/allan-byrne-byrning-sp...
I can pick it up and mind it until you can come get it.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 12:22am

I'm sitting waiting for my first custom board in five years and you lads can get access to a crazy array of boards. Me be jealous. I want me a Mackie.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 2:12am

A raw soft board on the verge with a free sign on it...paddling machine...

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 10:14am
zenagain wrote:

That's a very kind offer groundswell but last time I got a board (x 2 in a box) freighted to Japan it cost me $500 and then I had to pay another $50 import duty.

Hey brother Zen, I'll take any excuse for a trip down the east coast and the missus is looking for any excuse for a camping trip. If you stump the cash, I'll do the drive. The missus is also warming to the idea of a Japan trip, so that would save on freight. Would be part of my baggage. Would you want it in one or two pieces (depends on if I surf thumping Kirra again before I come over). Sorry I snapped your board, man. We've had a habit of doing damage to each others boards over the years (inadvertently of course).

As an additional bit of info, your old Byrning Spears was repaired not long after and bought by an old school mate of mine. The repair was very professional with an additional red spray around the snap area so you couldn't tell. Recently came across an old photo of it (pre snap). A great looking board being held by an ugly mug (me mate, not you this time).

Hey Groundswell, I hope your not charging the same prices as Banksy charges for his second hand boards on his website.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 10:32am

Top $ for Banksy's shit Balinese glass jobs

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 10:39am

lostdoggy wrote:

I think you should make him an offer, stunet. A perfect condition 6'8" AB ;). http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm-beach/surfing/allan-byrne-byrning-sp... I can pick it up and mind it until you can come get it.

Oh man, I'd love too but FR's last sentence rings true for me too: "Gonna be a tough one to hide."

Got sprung at tax time last year when I got a tap on the shoulder and asked to explain the 24 surfboards I bought through PayPal during the previous 12 months. Two thoughts came immediately to mind, 1) no way I bought 24 boards in the past year (turns out I did), and 2) with a joint bank account how the fuck did I think I was gonna get away with it?

Anyhoo, I hocked a few to pay for my boards currently getting shaped but a $700 AB might be a step too far at this point. Thanks anyway LD.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 11:22am

Buy her a lovely dress and shoes and then break the news to her over dinner Stu!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 11:51am

24 in a year Stu, that's 2 a month!! Don't know how you got away with it for so long, haha.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 12:19pm

That's because he had them all sent to the office and stored them there Craig, look out he'll be asking for a bigger office any day now!! ;)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 2:08pm
asharper001 wrote:
zenagain wrote:

Hey brother Zen, I'll take any excuse for a trip down the east coast and the missus is looking for any excuse for a camping trip. If you stump the cash, I'll do the drive. The missus is also warming to the idea of a Japan trip, so that would save on freight. Would be part of my baggage. Would you want it in one or two pieces (depends on if I surf thumping Kirra again before I come over). Sorry I snapped your board, man. We've had a habit of doing damage to each others boards over the years (inadvertently of course).

As an additional bit of info, your old Byrning Spears was repaired not long after and bought by an old school mate of mine. The repair was very professional with an additional red spray around the snap area so you couldn't tell. Recently came across an old photo of it (pre snap). A great looking board being held by an ugly mug (me mate, not you this time).

Hey Groundswell, I hope your not charging the same prices as Banksy charges for his second hand boards on his website.

Its a 1993 mini gun so its pretty old, i tried selling it for $150 but no takers so Zen can have it for free.
Ill try too dig up some photos.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 2:17pm

This is the only photo its unfortunately the one hidden underneath a bodyboard a little bit. theres also a 6'8 there you can have but its been repaired a lot with lots of old dings. watertight and ugly the 6'8. the 7'0 i think is classic looking.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 2:23pm

ill try to get my mum to get another shot once it stops raining in Sydney.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 2:30pm

Cheers man, once again you're a gentleman and a scholar.

So over to Hash- might be worth researching how much freight up to Qld would be?

BTW, sweet little quiver you got going there GS.

And no worries Ash, if you want a drive instead, I'll pay for the fuel.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm

No problem i hope you get some good use out of it.
Most of those boards have been sold or given to mates now this was an old photo before my trip over here.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 4:08pm
groundswell wrote:

Its a 1993 mini gun so its pretty old, i tried selling it for $150 but no takers so Zen can have it for free.
Ill try too dig up some photos.

Nothing wrong with that vintage Groundswell. Got a similar vintage (roughly 1991) 7'0 Robert Fenech Town & Country that I picked up second hand for my first trip to Fiji (also around 91). It's been on multiple Fiji and Indo trips. Wouldn't think of leaving home without packing it. Very dependable board.

Got some time off late Feb into mid March for a drive. Could organise a road trip around then.

Back on topic though, I really liked the look of the 5'9 Mayhem that Taj rode to win the 2013 Trestles comp. I read an article on the dimensions in American Surfer mag (online) and wouldn't mind seeing if can replicate (a little). Would love to give that board a try.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 5:09pm

Lots of boards which I haven't made yet.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 6:25pm
asharper001 wrote:

Nothing wrong with that vintage Groundswell. Got a similar vintage (roughly 1991) 7'0 Robert Fenech Town & Country that I picked up second hand for my first trip to Fiji (also around 91).

Rob Fenech (gypo) is back in Byron shaping some really nice boards( at the T and C factory) after going bush for a few years. Just fyi.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 6:46pm
freeride76 wrote:
asharper001 wrote:

Nothing wrong with that vintage Groundswell. Got a similar vintage (roughly 1991) 7'0 Robert Fenech Town & Country that I picked up second hand for my first trip to Fiji (also around 91).

Rob Fenech (gypo) is back in Byron shaping some really nice boards( at the T and C factory) after going bush for a few years. Just fyi.

Cheers FR76, remember you mentioning this in the Underground Hero's thread. Might check his boards out if passing through. Have had a couple of nice T & C's over the years. The 7'0 is the only Fenech board I've owned but if his shorty's have as nice a line as the gun, well worth picking one up.

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 6:46pm
stunet wrote:

lostdoggy wrote:

Damn, I like your taste cycd. My main board is a byrning spear, while MC's are on my hit list particularly the protow and metro. I also want to try a duo and now from what you just said, I really want to try the duo out. Those freeflight singles I've been super keen to try too. Would like to compare a 6, 8 and 10 channel to see if I can notice anything, (I doubt I could) :).

Hey stu... Dale does an amazing job at Byrning spears... They had been profiling AB's boards since his heart attack... I have had four off him since AB passed and they have been epic

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 6:50pm
lostdoggy wrote:

Damn, I like your taste cycd.
My main board is a byrning spear, while MC's are on my hit list particularly the protow and metro.
I also want to try a duo and now from what you just said, I really want to try the duo out. Those freeflight singles I've been super keen to try too. Would like to compare a 6, 8 and 10 channel to see if I can notice anything, (I doubt I could) :).

G'day lost doggy ... Yeah mate MC pro tow and metro are sweet... I have a few of each plus a metro/Pro tow hybrid.... Insanely fast, carvey boards. MC is definitely onto something there

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 7:54pm

Maybe strange thing to say, but a knee board and also try one in hollow waves, they look goofy in average waves but purely for chasing barrels in Indo type barrels i think they could be fun.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 9:13pm

I've got a shred sled sitting in Bali if anyone wants to buy it.

Beautiful condition.

Eye catching hand painted artwork on the bottom - the Indo's love it.

Fucking thing....

As to the boards...Cycd list is too cool to not wish to replicate. Never ridden any of those.

PS - 24 Boards in a year !!!!!

I understand that it may be viewed as an investment , but......24 fucking surfboards in a year !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 9:20pm

Blowin wrote:

24 Boards in a year !!!!! I understand that it may be viewed as an investment , but......24 fucking surfboards in a year !

For some blokes it's turps, for some it's blow, but for me, second hand boards are my weakness. However, the shed is almost full so a crisis point is approaching. Not sure what I'll do.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 9:31pm

Haha Stu, how many boards do you own that you've never surfed?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 9:39pm

I do understand, believe me, I imagine that most surfers do.

But you're doing it.

Good on you.

If I had somewhere to keep them I'd be the same.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 9:45pm

lostdoggy wrote:

Haha Stu, how many boards do you own that you've never surfed?

Ahhh, maybe 50 or 60 haven't been surfed?

Though you've just laid down a challenge of sorts.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 11:07pm

The shed is almost full...can't imagine there's much in the fucking shed but boards.

Officially jealous.

Any chance you would ever display them all in a comprehensive board by board Swellnet article ?

Including reasoning behind purchases ?

Sounds extremely invasive and maybe a bit revealing as to any buying strategies for investments.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see it.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016 at 7:49am

I can see Stu out on the Princes Highway with a sandwich board and megaphone hawking his Board Museum.

Free sausage sandwich with admission and wives are free.

See babe, told you these boards would be a great investment. Now, would you mind ducking down to Woolies and getting some more snags, we're running low.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016 at 8:28am

Nah, not enough for a board museum. Even though it may sound a lot to some people I know a few people with waaaay more. My mate Damo keeps his collection squared off at 200 and his is truly a collectable collection. Anyone who's given a thought to the changing face of surfboard design would jump at the sight of his boards, which are fully surfed, curated, and studied. He's even got Jurassic Park experiments happening in his backyard shaping bay where old boards - those in very bad condition - get copied so he can understand how they surf.

Damo had a twenty year jump on most collectors, he scored premium boards for a pittance without any competition. By comparison my late blooming collection is limited in scope but I'm focussing on one area of boards and at present I have very little competition. It's why I'm reluctant to photograph them at the moment.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016 at 11:10am
indo-dreaming wrote:

Maybe strange thing to say, but a knee board and also try one in hollow waves, they look goofy in average waves but purely for chasing barrels in Indo type barrels i think they could be fun.

if you're in sydney, i have a few kneeboards you're welcome to borrow.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016 at 1:02pm
chook wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Thanks for the offer, nah down Vic Phillip Island, I could easily get one here just something I've never got around too and when there is good waves its hard not to ride what i know.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016 at 1:07pm
stunet wrote:

Nah, not enough for a board museum. Even though it may sound a lot to some people I know a few people with waaaay more. My mate Damo keeps his collection squared off at 200 and his is truly a collectable collection. Anyone who's given a thought to the changing face of surfboard design would jump at the sight of his boards, which are fully surfed, curated, and studied. He's even got Jurassic Park experiments happening in his backyard shaping bay where old boards - those in very bad condition - get copied so he can understand how they surf.

Damo had a twenty year jump on most collectors, he scored premium boards for a pittance without any competition. By comparison my late blooming collection is limited in scope but I'm focussing on one area of boards and at present I have very little competition. It's why I'm reluctant to photograph them at the moment.

ha ha we know early 90s era, thin narrow, heaps of rocker early period of reverse fee/concave, pre FSC.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016 at 2:51pm

@Indo-Dreaming.

Don't know if you ever met the older Australian bloke on a kneeboard in that area we both used to lurk around in? He rode that thing in double overhead slabbing barrells. I don't reckon I've seen anyone got that fast on a board before and he could really punch it through when waves would start to pinch. It looks incredibly fun.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 9:42am
indo-dreaming wrote:
chook wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Thanks for the offer, nah down Vic Phillip Island, I could easily get one here just something I've never got around too and when there is good waves its hard not to ride what i know.

Oh yeah, no shortage of them down your way. muscle memory would probably have you popping up on your feet all the time.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 11:46am

Really keen to ride a Mackie style rocket fish - twin keel
Garrett asymmetric
and something meaty like the DS for big paddles and chunky point days

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 11:47am

Oh have ridden a pavel speed dialler - really really nice

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 11:57am

Zenagain, im sorry but ive just been visiting my mum and have decided to keep the banks 7'0, im sorry for any plans made, you can have the 6'8 though, anyway i think ill bring the 7'0 back west so sorry of a false promise.