Board/s you've always wanted to try and why

cycd's picture
cycd started the topic in Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 4:30pm

Like most surfers I love trying new boards and tweaking fins etc etc

Interested to hear what new board/s that you've wanted to try and why the design has sparked your interest. Also if you have recently picked up a design you have thought about and if it went well/how you thought it would etc

I have recently bought some away from my main shaper/s (Byrning Spears and Maurice) as I was really keen to see how they went... the two designs have been the Webber desert storm that has been well discussed in here (7'6 and 8'8) and I just picked up a NPJ Duo (6'1) on new years day.

The DS has been great (both boards), they have worked well for primarily the reason I wanted them.... to catch waves double overhead and above with ease. They have also made paddling out to deep water waves and out of the impact zone a much more pleasant task.

I wanted to try a Duo put of curiosity for ages so I ordered one....I now have just had my third surf on the Duo this a.m and am pretty much blown away... speed of a twinny/quad with the hold of a single, loves a bit of push not really a groveler but performs well enough in small stuff (like this am).... super smooth underfoot.... cant wait to get it into some hollow waves as I think it will excel. I'm already thinking a mid length Duo would be a winner for pumping days.

On the bucket list/or to try are: Wayne Lynch widowmaker (I love riding singles from time to time because they make you concentrate on staying in the power source etc... I have heard people rave about Wayne Lynch singles and 2 + 1's and want one for the quiv), Freeflight 10 channel single fin (same reason and they look mean), Von Sol Shadow (looks like an epic groveler/all rounder) .... and I do like the look of the Mayhem tube pig for the reefs at home (couldn't see myself ordering a mass marketed board though)

Anyone have any bucket list boards or good feedback from a newbie?

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck Sunday, 16 Sep 2018 at 11:55am

Desert Storm

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 16 Sep 2018 at 7:34pm

Love to have a go on either one of Ryan Burch’s twinnys or a Gary McNeil fish thing that Rasta surfs. Both look super fast and fun

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 16 Sep 2018 at 7:36pm

I’d also love to surf one of JJF’s custom boards at a barrelling perfect reefbreak just to see if having one of his very own boards makes me a better surfer!
Me thinks it won’t

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 16 Sep 2018 at 7:38pm

Also a Dave Parmenter 7’0” widow maker at 6-8ft Jeffrey’s Bay just to feel the speed.

Fuuuuck there’s too many! !

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 16 Sep 2018 at 7:42pm

Padillac.......

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Monday, 17 Sep 2018 at 7:55pm

Channel Islands Semi Pro,or Semi pro12...Anyone tried one ? Slater defending multiple world titles( back whenever) surely wouldn't compete on anything but the best design specs at the time... I'm not Slater & I'm not competing,just interested ;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 17 Sep 2018 at 8:16pm

I’ve got 3 of them.

Very nice ( Borat voice). Well they were very nice.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QMfa4

That’s an old photo. They’re pretty fucked up now. Boards look so sweet when they’re new.

Tinfoil hat's picture
Tinfoil hat's picture
Tinfoil hat Friday, 4 Jan 2019 at 6:09am

Hi Swellnetters, a podcast worth a listen with Mr.Sharkman Morris on the surf splendour podcast if anybody has not already come across it. A very interesting man. Covers a big range of topics for those with time to listen to it. Hope everyone gets a wave this weekend

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Jan 2019 at 9:41am

Definitely worth a listen.

Says he doesn't but seems like the man knows his reds.

Tinfoil hat's picture
Tinfoil hat's picture
Tinfoil hat Saturday, 5 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm

Apologies for plugging surf media not associated with this site again BUT last one, I promise..... Another episode of the Surf Splendour podcast up, this time with Derek Hynd. I always thought Sharkman was a bit out there but this guy is something else again. A very worthwhile listen.