Board/s you've always wanted to try and why

cycd's picture
cycd started the topic in Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 4:30pm

Like most surfers I love trying new boards and tweaking fins etc etc

Interested to hear what new board/s that you've wanted to try and why the design has sparked your interest. Also if you have recently picked up a design you have thought about and if it went well/how you thought it would etc

I have recently bought some away from my main shaper/s (Byrning Spears and Maurice) as I was really keen to see how they went... the two designs have been the Webber desert storm that has been well discussed in here (7'6 and 8'8) and I just picked up a NPJ Duo (6'1) on new years day.

The DS has been great (both boards), they have worked well for primarily the reason I wanted them.... to catch waves double overhead and above with ease. They have also made paddling out to deep water waves and out of the impact zone a much more pleasant task.

I wanted to try a Duo put of curiosity for ages so I ordered one....I now have just had my third surf on the Duo this a.m and am pretty much blown away... speed of a twinny/quad with the hold of a single, loves a bit of push not really a groveler but performs well enough in small stuff (like this am).... super smooth underfoot.... cant wait to get it into some hollow waves as I think it will excel. I'm already thinking a mid length Duo would be a winner for pumping days.

On the bucket list/or to try are: Wayne Lynch widowmaker (I love riding singles from time to time because they make you concentrate on staying in the power source etc... I have heard people rave about Wayne Lynch singles and 2 + 1's and want one for the quiv), Freeflight 10 channel single fin (same reason and they look mean), Von Sol Shadow (looks like an epic groveler/all rounder) .... and I do like the look of the Mayhem tube pig for the reefs at home (couldn't see myself ordering a mass marketed board though)

Anyone have any bucket list boards or good feedback from a newbie?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 4:19pm
freeride76 wrote:

I can see Stu out on the Princes Highway with a sandwich board and megaphone hawking his Board Museum.

Free sausage sandwich with admission and wives are free.

See babe, told you these boards would be a great investment. Now, would you mind ducking down to Woolies and getting some more snags, we're running low.

Free wives you say ?

Now I'm interested.

Ummmm, only to borrow of course.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 6:42pm

Thats how they roll down there.

wifeswapping keeps the flat spell blues at bay.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 7:12pm

Are you talking about the wives in my shed Blowin? It's like a little slice of South Australia out there: boards in one corner, wives the other, barrels in between.

blackapache's picture
blackapache's picture
blackapache Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
stunet wrote:

lostdoggy wrote:

And assyms of all shapes and sizes, still haven't tried any, and I'm also still curious in the difference between how MC says he shapes them for lefts or rights yet most others shape them for goofy or natural stance.

My current asymm was shaped by Chris Garrett and his theory is wave direction - longer rail off the bottom, shorter rail off the top. I had mine shaped for a right point and so for a few weeks was reluctant to take it out in lefts. Once I did, however, I realised that theory didn't work for me, it's longer rail for toe side (to drive) and shorter rail for heel side (for pivot) irrespective of the wave direction. Fact is, the board goes just as good in lefts as it does in rights. I even surfed it at six foot Cloudbreak in July.

This is the theory I'm sticking with on my next asymm though I'm gonna get a thruster rather than quad.

The best assyms for really tapping into the idea are simple ones so you can feel whats going on. Something like a straight single fin - blunt nose round tail one side and rounded square the other - that really is a good jumping off point for assyms as a new explorer.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 1:33pm

blackapache wrote:
stunet wrote:

lostdoggy wrote:

And assyms of all shapes and sizes, still haven't tried any, and I'm also still curious in the difference between how MC says he shapes them for lefts or rights yet most others shape them for goofy or natural stance.

My current asymm was shaped by Chris Garrett and his theory is wave direction - longer rail off the bottom, shorter rail off the top. I had mine shaped for a right point and so for a few weeks was reluctant to take it out in lefts. Once I did, however, I realised that theory didn't work for me, it's longer rail for toe side (to drive) and shorter rail for heel side (for pivot) irrespective of the wave direction. Fact is, the board goes just as good in lefts as it does in rights. I even surfed it at six foot Cloudbreak in July.

This is the theory I'm sticking with on my next asymm though I'm gonna get a thruster rather than quad.

The best assyms for really tapping into the idea are simple ones so you can feel whats going on. Something like a straight single fin - blunt nose round tail one side and rounded square the other - that really is a good jumping off point for assyms as a new explorer.

Absolutely. Though my asymms - there are now two of those asymms with a third on the way - are a bit more complex than your single fin example, they're much more simple than the Carl Ekstrom/Ryan Burch-style boards with fin configs, rocker, planshape, and who-knows-what-else changing from one side to the other.

I feel like I know exactly why my asymmetricals boards ride the way they do. No surprises.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 11:05am

Stu
do you have the heel side fins set slightly forward on your assym?
or is it just a shorter rail line heel side?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 11:14am

saltman wrote:

Stu do you have the heel side fins set slightly forward on your assym? or is it just a shorter rail line heel side?

Yeah Saltman, the fins on the heelside are set about 1.5 inches forward. It's a quad and each cluster is set the same distance from the stringer.

It allows more pivot on heelside turns. The turns are much quicker and the board readily comes back underneath me after a big turn. It's a great feeling driving off the bottom (toe side) then snapping off the top (heel side).

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 11:12am
groundswell wrote:

Zenagain, im sorry but ive just been visiting my mum and have decided to keep the banks 7'0, im sorry for any plans made, you can have the 6'8 though, anyway i think ill bring the 7'0 back west so sorry of a false promise.

Sorry for getting back so late to you GS, i was away at the time with my phone playing up. Just remembered it then.

No worries at all and thanks for the sentiment. Cheers.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 5:39pm

Thought this might be a good thread, to find out a board that I'm thinking of getting.........

An 8ft loose/fast/lightweight mal, to ride greenmount on and get shit loads of waves, run people over and pretty much say, my wave hey, hey yow, hey, yeeewwwww. As I travel down the line on the inside hooting;)

Who makes them and where can I get one.
Cheers
PS Anyone?

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 5:55pm

Wellymon check out Steve O'Donnell surfboards had just what your looking for pointy both ends and you can turn the things 'The SOD!' the ones I rode were @ 7'2

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 6:49pm
Purplepills wrote:

Wellymon check out Steve O'Donnell surfboards had just what your looking for pointy both ends and you can turn the things 'The SOD!' the ones I rode were @ 7'2

Cheers Pills, just talked to him, pretty cool cat, went thru a few dims etc.
Nice one;)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 7:50pm

Welly have a yarn to Wayne Deane as well...not so much for a mal but a 7'6 plus with shortboard lines lots of paddle power and very manouverable.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 8:31pm

Edit Udo

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 8:30pm
udo wrote:

Welly have a yarn to Wayne Deane as well...not so much for a mal but a 7'6 plus with shortboard lines lots of paddle power and very manoeverable.

Good stuff Udo, will check him out, just looked at his website;)

So over a short board out there at Greenie, just wanna catch some peelers....

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 23 Mar 2016 at 9:23pm

Welly have a look at Gunther Rohn down at Ballina as well, he's well versed in shaping boards for bigger guys/boards with nice extra volume under the chest and forward of the middle.
Just got a 7'2" from him to supplement my 6'8" shortboard. Will let you know how it goes.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 1:24am
wellymon wrote:

Thought this might be a good thread, to find out a board that I'm thinking of getting.........

An 8ft loose/fast/lightweight mal, to ride greenmount on and get shit loads of waves, run people over and pretty much say, my wave hey, hey yow, hey, yeeewwwww. As I travel down the line on the inside hooting;)

Who makes them and where can I get one.
Cheers
PS Anyone?

Something like this Welly?

The flip side:

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 5:55pm

Thanks heaps fellas;)
Yeah cool Andy, have ridden Rohan's brds before, living Ullas, I like.

Wingie what are those Dims! Who shaped it!
Cheers

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 7:27pm
wellymon wrote:

Wingie what are those Dims! Who shaped it! Cheers

Is that sorta what ya want?

I "may" know where the exact file is stored ;)

That one is 7'2" x something x 2 and a bit ... Hahahaaa! Free test ride, no fuck ya, it'll cost ya a carton, which we gotta drink post surf... :)

Actually, why not head down this way? We can make a mess at Ben's while he's away, and piss off his neighbours. No one will know it was us.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 9:04pm

Classic Wingie, sounds good;)
60 coldies freestyle, no worries....Probably a few push ups and pull downs as well!

Haha thats funny as.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 9:02am

Just checked the file welly, she's 7'2" x 20 5/8 x 2 5/8.

Volume is 39 litres.

COM is a an 1" behind centre. MAP is 1"front of the centre.

Wide point 4" in front of centre.

She has a subtle concave running into a vee double concave.

I'm kicking myself I didn't drop a single fin box into it ... will do on the next one though :)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 9:13am

Single fin box ..still can add .... fire up the router.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 9:33am

Funny you mention that udo ... nursing this back, I'm fixing a few boards, finishing a couple, and well, that thought has crossed my mind ;)

See how the back holds up while I potter around in the shed ... if time, weather and back permit, it may be done over this weekend.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 4:27pm
stunet wrote:

saltman wrote:

Stu do you have the heel side fins set slightly forward on your assym? or is it just a shorter rail line heel side?

Yeah Saltman, the fins on the heelside are set about 1.5 inches forward. It's a quad and each cluster is set the same distance from the stringer.

With a thruster set up where do they place the centre fin?
3 1/4" from the long rail line so its in correct position in relation to toeside or the short rail line
or half way between the two?

my head hurts

It allows more pivot on heelside turns. The turns are much quicker and the board readily comes back underneath me after a big turn. It's a great feeling driving off the bottom (toe side) then snapping off the top (heel side).

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 4:50pm

Ryan Burch explains his fin config on his site.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 6:42pm

Yes but there aren't any examples of a thruster configuration in an assymetrical
I recal stu saying he was getting a tri tn assymetrical from Chris garret

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 7:14pm

saltman wrote:

Yes but there aren't any examples of a thruster configuration in an assymetrical I recal stu saying he was getting a tri tn assymetrical from Chris garret

Nah, went with quad Saltman 'cause my head was hurting thinking about a Thruster asymm set up. I was concerned about the difference distances from rail fins to rear fin, i.e how that might change the turning arcs.

As much as possible I'm applying the KISS formula with my asymms.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 8:51pm

sliding fin box - like the lib tech ones that allow movement forward and back depending on surfing front or backside and length of rail - just a thought - now my head hurts - we will see 7 fin plugs soon for the indecisive among us.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 9:56am

Stu any pics of the new assym

I am still in two minds about making my next board an assym if it needs to be a quad
just rejuvenating my quiver - after creasing two boards and off loading an under used gun in the space of a month
Have a stringerless twin keel side cut, a quad step up so far .
really have a space for a thruster between them

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 10:55am

I originally hesitated at getting a quad because I hadn't ridden them for a few years and my last experiences weren't that great. However, it made sense to try one again while ordering an asymm becuase I really wanted to simplify the concept and it's easier to do so with four fins rather than three. There hasn't been a single hang up with the quad, none of the 'trackiness' or resistance to vertical surfing that I remember. I think that has less to do with the asymm but is more due to general advancements in design. Either way, the quad works fine.

Anyway, here's the latest pic of it Saltman! Courtesy of a 'misadventure' on the weekend.

img_9395.jpg

Here are the pics of it in one piece. Note it's only asymmetrical on the tail and the fins (dims are 18 1/2 x 5'9"/5'11")

img_9209.jpg

img_9210.jpg

img_9213.jpg

Here is the original, it was 5'8"/5'10" and had a similar planshape and asymm concept to the board above (although this board has slightly thinner rails).

img_8538.jpg

And here it is after a run in with the rocks at Sandon Point. Thirty dings in total:

img_9028.jpgimg_9029.jpg

I currently have a step up of the above board being made by Chris Garrett - it'll be 6'0"/6'2" with the same outline and asymm concept. And I've gotta drive up to Cronulla to get Stuart Paterson to copy the tail of the board I snapped on the weekend. The front end is a model of his (IQ+) that I love with the asymm tail, slightly altered from the Chris Garrett version.

When they're finished I'll figure out how to pay for it all.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 7:38pm

Looks really asymm NOW Stu.

"When they're finished I'll figure out how to pay for it all."
Really?, I gave Ben some money not long ago, to sponsor your boards you ride?????????

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 8:11pm

Sad to see Stu but hey new boards to look forward to,fuck that bottom one was trashed same result as the top one i suppose .....

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 12:25pm
stunet wrote:

Damn straight LD. If I had a spare thousand in the kicker I'd stump up for a Phil Myers Free Flight ten channel singley.

So far away from me, so far I just can't see, so far away from me, so far
:( :(
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/horrocks/surfing/free-flight/1107721772

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 12:34pm

lostdoggy wrote:
stunet wrote:

Damn straight LD. If I had a spare thousand in the kicker I'd stump up for a Phil Myers Free Flight ten channel singley.

So far away from me, so far I just can't see, so far away from me, so far :( :( http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/horrocks/surfing/free-flight/1107721772

Where the fuck is Horrocks?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 12:34pm

Geraldton

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 12:36pm

Bollocks!

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 12:37pm

I know there is a number of 10 channels over in WA because Rique Smith, Col's son lives there and is a collector I'm pretty sure.
Not sure if this one has anything to do with him though.

Only know this through Phil's instagram.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 12:47pm

Levi Jones, who you may know if you follow the Vintage Surfboard Collectors FB page, found a slightly beat up Col Smith 10 channel in a bin at Redhead, Col Smith's hometown. 

I had reason to be up at Redhead the other week and almost sideswiped 20 parked cars while driving around with one eye on the bins by the kerb. Alas, I came home empty handed.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 4:24pm

What is it about channel bottoms, so good to look at......so tempted to lash out on a Phil Myers round channel bottom,had a couple years ago that went so good.....mmmmmm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 8:40pm

Compare surfboards.com - AB Channel bottom review.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 10:50am

So has anyone got/tried a Gary Mcneil entity,sure ive seen talk on this somewhere in the forums but i cant find it.....Welly you had one i think?Love to hear some feed back.

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 12:05pm

I have one and its a ripper......it does appear to be well made....I notice the carbon fibre is wrapped around the rails differently than the hypto k...more manoeuvrable than the hypto.....with Some boards you feel you can go anywhere on them , this is one of those

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 12:42pm

So what size board are you riding Prothero? all rounder?

BobC's picture
BobC's picture
BobC Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 2:02pm

If your looking for a small wave board that will be a life long addiction try the Channel Islands Pod Mod. Ive had a lot of small wave boards but this thing is a dream and I ride it with 3 litres or so more foam than my standard board. I have never gone so fast on small waves, so that's my newby board test contribution lads.

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 2:17pm
simba wrote:

So what size board are you riding Prothero? all rounder?

that ones a 5'8...( im 5'7)..low rocker , nice rails, hangs in tight and can be thrown around ( a bit more than what the hypto can..IMHO )

jesse's picture
jesse's picture
jesse Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 8:04pm

Have just spied a nice looking asymmetrical in a local boardshop, but a 3 fin set up (twin/quad kind of deal I guess) - anyone got any suggestions for fins on this type of beastie? Big thruster fin and small quads? Twin fin?

This thread had me thinking about one of these boards, and then this thing pops cheap - someone is trying to say something! (if the the kids weren't dragging me out the shop for ice cream and the wife in the shop next door, I may already have this in the water!)

jesse's picture
jesse's picture
jesse Sunday, 8 May 2016 at 9:55pm

Well I picked up a second hand asymmetrical today - another one off the list!

Rode it with the fins I could find laying around, and surprisingly it went ok - but going to sort out some fins and hopefully get it dialled in!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 May 2016 at 6:50am

Post some board pics Jesse.

jesse's picture
jesse's picture
jesse Monday, 9 May 2016 at 8:43am

mick63's picture
mick63's picture
mick63 Monday, 23 May 2016 at 5:24pm

This is what I want to ride, welcome to the future!

"the game-changing Carbon Torsion Technology, the CTT.
This new technology incorporates torque being applied to the back third of tail of the surfboard, represents rotational Kinetic energy being applied , which then results in angular frequency and angular momentum, creating the Torsion Tail!
By contrast, the forward two-thirds of the board has a stiff/rigid modulus of rigidity,, with a memory being calculated in unit joule radians and or Newton Meters (N.m) on the lower end of the scale. "

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 16 Sep 2018 at 6:49am

Loving this blokes backyard experimenting
twinfreaker instagram