caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Monday, 4 Apr 2022 at 9:40am
Robwilliams wrote:

good stuff john. Twins would be loose. keep it coming. Research as development. Some fat twins there. 6'6 will honk when needed. Bankrief Have you had a chance to paddle boards of similar volume and size? How much difference (gap) between other boards you are riding? What are you going to be targeting with it? So many boards , so little time.

Hey Rob. I've got a beefy 6'10 DS (48.5L) which I picked up second hand. Hasn't had much use. Conditions haven't really lined up much since I've had it.

A mate has a 6'8 DS (about 43L) and it looks like a different beast to mine. More like a standard step up.

I'm in Vicco so the 6'6 would be for the solid reef days down here and for Indo trips.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 4 Apr 2022 at 12:52pm

Without seeing boards 6'6 is going to be far more noticeable in range rather than 6'8. The outline and the volume can be tweaked with options or customs. 38L-40L to 48.L. 36L- to 40L is pretty standard for certain lengths and models. The 6'10 has almost 8.5L more you will notice it feels corkier but can be paddled longer further, bigger waves. Beef up the 6'6 in thickness. It won't replace a 6'8 outline but will be a good start. I went 6'3 to 6'8 and larger wave range was easily noticeable. 6'6 will cover good range of medium sized surfs. I would increase volume if looking to make it a specific target board for certain spots. Once you get towards 7'0 space it out more like 7'6. Tail shape and tail volume becomes more critical as you get larger I think. For solid days and indo trips think paddle, strength, outline and volume. The 6'6 can be maximised without changing the rear to much. If i was to use a 6'6 as my step up I would pack it out to widen it's range when traveling. 6'6-6'8 are still short compared to a 7'2 if that helps. If you only ride it a bit and got money to burn keep it similar to your other boards. Paddle the 6'10 a bit more and find what you like and don't like about it, refine backwards from that without being to extreme to get to your 6'6. On the other hand the 6'6 beefed will be well above the 6'0 range when in heavier conditions. Talk to webby or whoever. Explain what you are thinking and what waves and ability you have. Shapers know best. You can get an off the shelf standard size most places. But refining Boards in the size range to your weight ability and wave size will be a game changer. A pro is going to tear anything and everything. 48L sounds allot but increasing volume in some of the boards makes them stand out. some people find a 6'3 larger while others don't mention anything under 6'8. Between the 43L and the 48.5L you mentioned I reckon you will notice a difference due to volume, smaller difference in volume will be less noticeable. If the 6'10 is too much for the waves you surf then try and keep the 6'6 around 43-45L. Seeing allot of 40ish L boards at the moment in the mid length range. I swear by tail in larger sizes. Borrow and try what you can. Be honest about ability and talk to shaper. Refine from what you know, have and trust your gut according to the conditions you want to face with it, Also if you look at some of the smallest sizes in the latest deadmans footage you can see they have increased thickness while others chose to go longer. Possibly 7-4 7-6 and up. Orange and also the white board looked about right. Wave entry is another matter.

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 6:20am

Got to try the 6'6 in some proper hollow waves on Sunday. This thing is such a weapon, lets you knife in late and holds it's line beautifully. Webby has done a fine job of creating a board for challenging conditions that still performs in regular waves as well.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 6:25am

Stoked!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 6:42am

You surf it as a twin again?

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 6:53am

Yeah Goofy, feels so solid underfoot!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 6:57am

I was going to ask the twin question too. Held in well in the barrel?

"Webby has done a fine job of creating a board for challenging conditions that still performs in regular waves as well." True words. Paddled out in the dark this morning on my 6'10 DS hoping for some juice. Was only HH to just OH, but the DS was still a hoot.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 7:28am

1007 comments has there ever been a surfboard design so popular/interesting/intriguing
its a shame Webby wont comment.....dont have the Time he said ?...cmon Wayne ......
IB you should be the NZ Agent
- Desert Storms across the Ditch -

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 7:19am

I first surfed my DS at 2-3 foot jakes. ran over a rock and was spewing i hit a rock damaged my brand new EA quads and slightly damaged one of my fin boxes...haven't ridden it since as ive been riding my Rasta torus twin and its been small for a while.
Watching that clip of Winki of John C has me keen to try out my DS again.Swell season is on the way so not long to wait for swell i guess.

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 8:42am
Island Bay wrote:

I was going to ask the twin question too. Held in well in the barrel?

Yeah IB, held really well, it's got speed to burn as well. At 61yo it's as much about making the take off as anything for me, everything else is a bonus!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 8:45am

As a 58yo I know exactly what you mean :-)

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 9:36am

John_c if I’m at getting barrels like that at 61 I’d be very stoked! Very nice.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 9:49am
Distracted wrote:

John_c if I’m at getting barrels like that at 61 I’d be very stoked! Very nice.

My word, inspiring JC!

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:34pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Without seeing boards 6'6 is going to be far more noticeable in range rather than 6'8. The outline and the volume can be tweaked with options or customs. 38L-40L to 48.L. 36L- to 40L is pretty standard for certain lengths and models. The 6'10 has almost 8.5L more you will notice it feels corkier but can be paddled longer further, bigger waves. Beef up the 6'6 in thickness. It won't replace a 6'8 outline but will be a good start. I went 6'3 to 6'8 and larger wave range was easily noticeable. 6'6 will cover good range of medium sized surfs. I would increase volume if looking to make it a specific target board for certain spots. Once you get towards 7'0 space it out more like 7'6. Tail shape and tail volume becomes more critical as you get larger I think. For solid days and indo trips think paddle, strength, outline and volume. The 6'6 can be maximised without changing the rear to much. If i was to use a 6'6 as my step up I would pack it out to widen it's range when traveling. 6'6-6'8 are still short compared to a 7'2 if that helps. If you only ride it a bit and got money to burn keep it similar to your other boards. Paddle the 6'10 a bit more and find what you like and don't like about it, refine backwards from that without being to extreme to get to your 6'6. On the other hand the 6'6 beefed will be well above the 6'0 range when in heavier conditions. Talk to webby or whoever. Explain what you are thinking and what waves and ability you have. Shapers know best. You can get an off the shelf standard size most places. But refining Boards in the size range to your weight ability and wave size will be a game changer. A pro is going to tear anything and everything. 48L sounds allot but increasing volume in some of the boards makes them stand out. some people find a 6'3 larger while others don't mention anything under 6'8. Between the 43L and the 48.5L you mentioned I reckon you will notice a difference due to volume, smaller difference in volume will be less noticeable. If the 6'10 is too much for the waves you surf then try and keep the 6'6 around 43-45L. Seeing allot of 40ish L boards at the moment in the mid length range. I swear by tail in larger sizes. Borrow and try what you can. Be honest about ability and talk to shaper. Refine from what you know, have and trust your gut according to the conditions you want to face with it, Also if you look at some of the smallest sizes in the latest deadmans footage you can see they have increased thickness while others chose to go longer. Possibly 7-4 7-6 and up. Orange and also the white board looked about right. Wave entry is another matter.

Thanks for all of that Rob! Cheers

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:53pm

8'0 DS out at Deadies.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 2:55pm

Ben did great, got some solid ones!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 3:12pm

Be good to see a list of who rode what
Matt C on a Orange 9'2 Mctavish
and Reddawg borrowed a 7'3 the board he took was to Long

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 5 Apr 2022 at 3:30pm

+ 1 if crew got it.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 6 Apr 2022 at 4:44pm

some sizeable waves at Cronulla too...one guy was on a WW

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:04pm
Patrick wrote:
cycd wrote:

G'day John, the DS loves that stuff ... ive had webby lean rails and tail out on 2 x DS ... have surfed a 6'11 at large slabby stuff and tombies... goes insane. Nice set of fins goes a long way IMO

G'day cycd, what fins do you use?

Hi Pat, EA quads and thrusters . Like the DS as a quad. I am also using the KRYPT powerdrives and have been testing them for about 2 months now in waves up to 6ft . Loosen the board up really nice. Am yet to use them in critical waves

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 12:16pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 12:34pm

Nooooo....don't do it, Webby.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 12:38pm

Ah go on Stu, you know you want one. Almost fits your colour scheme too.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 12:45pm

I Like the look of the 8'0 swallow tail he did last November
pic on previous page

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 12:48pm
stunet wrote:

Nooooo....don't do it, Webby.

Looks like he's already got the decals and is in the process of adding it to his web page.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 1:09pm

#20454 - Webby's been a busy man!

Edit: And apologies, Stu, and other purists. I may have accidentally nudged Webby in this direction - rode my 8'6 DS as a twin in 2-3ft surf, and it went really well.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 1:19pm

Damn ..blame me .i think it was me who told you to stick Twins in it..

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 1:18pm
udo wrote:

I.B. do you have a set of Keels you can put in that 8'6 " for a 'Long Twin' Trail ..

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 21 Apr 2022 at 1:18pm

Probably!

Haven't tried it in my shorter ones, as they're plenty loose for my taste already.

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 9:12am

Frothing about this. I also emailed him about my 6'6" working well as a twin, though I'm sure this would have been in the pipeline for ages. I had the 6'6 out again on Anzac day in solid OH slabs and it is such an epic board for those conditions.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 2 May 2022 at 6:52pm
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 2 May 2022 at 7:22pm

Doesn’t look like Torquay haha

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 2 May 2022 at 7:30pm

Unreal wave

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 2 May 2022 at 7:37pm
john_c wrote:

I had the 6'6 out again on Anzac day in solid OH slabs and it is such an epic board for those conditions.

Is your 6'6" the 19.5" wide or the 20" * 3" thick one?
Riding it as a twin at the slab?

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Tuesday, 3 May 2022 at 7:36am
Patrick wrote:
john_c wrote:

I had the 6'6 out again on Anzac day in solid OH slabs and it is such an epic board for those conditions.

Is your 6'6" the 19.5" wide or the 20" * 3" thick one?
Riding it as a twin at the slab?

Hey Patrick, it's the 19.5 wide and yeah still riding as a twin. Had the most drive of the 4 configurations I tested.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 3 May 2022 at 1:49pm

Cool, thanks mate

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 5:43pm

Another nice surf on the 6'10. 4 years old, and it's suffered endless abuse, but keeps trucking.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:39pm

Now you're just being cruel I.B. :)

chico's picture
chico's picture
chico Friday, 6 May 2022 at 6:21pm

Man I just love this thread! I'm in SW WA, have a 6'8" DS and surf it so much, it's so sick that everyone froths out on this board design!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 9:24am
seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 7 Jun 2022 at 9:00pm

Might have asked before but has anyone tried the NVS G10 BRONN QUAD (M) - APEX fins in their DS. The trailer fins now come with an option of 80/20 foil.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 4:10am

Seaslug, I've been running those in my 8'6 DS, both the 80/20 and the flat foiled ones. Great gun fins, and extremely well made. (A bargain, too.)

The 80/20 rears feel a little smoother, the flat ones have more pep.

My 6'10 has FCS2, so haven't tried them in that.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 8:39am

Thanks IB, for my new 7'2 x 20" x 3" DS, set up as quad only with future boxes

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 9:08am

Ever tried C-Drive fins IB?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 12:12pm

Sorry, never tried them. I reckon the NVS Brons would be perfect. Get both sets of rears.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 2:03pm
cycd wrote:
Patrick wrote:
cycd wrote:

G'day John, the DS loves that stuff ... ive had webby lean rails and tail out on 2 x DS ... have surfed a 6'11 at large slabby stuff and tombies... goes insane. Nice set of fins goes a long way IMO

G'day cycd, what fins do you use?

Hi Pat, EA quads and thrusters . Like the DS as a quad. I am also using the KRYPT powerdrives and have been testing them for about 2 months now in waves up to 6ft . Loosen the board up really nice. Am yet to use them in critical waves

Thanks cycd.

Anymore feedback on the Krypt's? Used them in critical waves yet? They look interesting.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 2:30pm

IB Getting good feedback on these, Futures Paddle Quad G10. Pity about the price.....

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 2:37pm

whoa, they do look good though.

I've got the Krypt power drive quad set, haven't tried them in DS yet.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 2:46pm

I reckon the NVS G-10 fins are just as good. Very very precise foil work, and great fit in the box.

And if you want a set of tiny big wave quads, a'la these https://futuresfins.com/products/gl-4-0-quad NVS do a front fin version of the Bronn rears, so that you can have 4 identical size/shape fins. This is the thruster set, and they are happy to send you just the side fins.

https://www.surfnvs.com/collections/apex-thrusters/products/apex-nv-4-0-...