"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 5:08pm
Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 5:43pm

Beastly, don’t know who that girl is but well done.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have the coin or opportunities to post up there for the winter!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 3:25pm

Paging : Ryan Watts
You have this Weapon for a few months now - How about a Ride Report if your out there
Thanks .

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 5:15pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 7:43am

^ Gone within an Hour i think .....

3 Beauties

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 11:46am

A hopefully not too dumb question to the DS riders here. I'm thinking of getting a 6'6" x 19 1/2" 38.5l DS. I'm 80kg but want it for my local on big days (2 X OH +) when the take off is not dissimilar to a Shark Island/Ours type slab.

From reading the many posts on here they are great paddlers, but what are they like at knifing in on a super critical takeoff? One guy on here loves his 6'6 but mentions that this was an issue for him - he is only 70kg though. I have seen video of Camel knifing in at massive Tombstones but he is a freak :). Any feedback much appreciated.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 12:38pm

John, from my experience they are great for knifing in; the forward vee and soft rails seem to find their way seamlessly into the drop. 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4, and 6'10 x 19 3/4 x 3.

Disclaimer: I'm no young slab maniac.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 12:49pm

john - Mr Caml knifing in on an 8'6 Plus for sure..

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 1:04pm
john_c wrote:

A hopefully not too dumb question to the DS riders here. I'm thinking of getting a 6'6" x 19 1/2" 38.5l DS. I'm 80kg but want it for my local on big days (2 X OH +) when the take off is not dissimilar to a Shark Island/Ours type slab.

From reading the many posts on here they are great paddlers, but what are they like at knifing in on a super critical takeoff? One guy on here loves his 6'6 but mentions that this was an issue for him - he is only 70kg though. I have seen video of Camel knifing in at massive Tombstones but he is a freak :). Any feedback much appreciated.

G'day John, the DS loves that stuff ... ive had webby lean rails and tail out on 2 x DS ... have surfed a 6'11 at large slabby stuff and tombies... goes insane. Nice set of fins goes a long way IMO

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 2:15pm

Cheers guys!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 12:04pm
Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 8:39pm
cycd wrote:

G'day John, the DS loves that stuff ... ive had webby lean rails and tail out on 2 x DS ... have surfed a 6'11 at large slabby stuff and tombies... goes insane. Nice set of fins goes a long way IMO

G'day cycd, what fins do you use?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 9:53am

Be interested in the fin sizing to.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 10:23am

Be interested in the fin sizing to. Been reducing tail fin size to improve angles. But its drawback is that the board takes longer to kick into gear. And can't be pushed past fins threshold. 3 inch to 4 inch tail fins, 6 inch sides. Increasing the tail fin size further slows the paddling speed greatly and keeps the board pretty locked. My 7'0 has been hardest to dial in. I might be running too large a fronts but with small rear I need some drive and lift. It might also be wave size/ speed in regards to boards performance. I would like to reduce my sides for increased paddle speed etc. There seems to always be a trade of performance wise in regards to fins sizes at this stage. Been reducing by 1/2 inch at a time. Fin size recommendation was far larger than the desired ride. Great drive, but very slow paddler and unresponsive rail to rail. I want the board to be as lively as possibly but safe through the bottom turn with out washing out when fully pushed.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 10:56am

These have easily been the best fins in my 6'10 DS. All the same size, and all flat inside foil.

Board paddles well with these, and it's got a real kick off the bottom when you push with your back foot. Like a really significant 5th gear.

https://captainfin.com/collections/jeff-mccallum-collection/products/jef...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 11:10am

I.B. you like to experiment...
S - Wings in a DS...give it some Zing out of Turns ?
https://www.instagram.com/s_wings_surf/?hl=en

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 11:18am

If someone had a set to lend me, yes for sure.

They do look like foot slicers to me, though.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 12:11pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Be interested in the fin sizing to. Been reducing tail fin size to improve angles. But its drawback is that the board takes longer to kick into gear. And can't be pushed past fins threshold. 3 inch to 4 inch tail fins, 6 inch sides. Increasing the tail fin size further slows the paddling speed greatly and keeps the board pretty locked. My 7'0 has been hardest to dial in. I might be running too large a fronts but with small rear I need some drive and lift. It might also be wave size/ speed in regards to boards performance. I would like to reduce my sides for increased paddle speed etc. There seems to always be a trade of performance wise in regards to fins sizes at this stage. Been reducing by 1/2 inch at a time. Fin size recommendation was far larger than the desired ride. Great drive, but very slow paddler and unresponsive rail to rail. I want the board to be as lively as possibly but safe through the bottom turn with out washing out when fully pushed.

So you can notice your board paddles quicker with smaller fins?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 2:28pm

for sure but far less stable as one would expect. Between my largest and smaller is noticeable. Drag dropping in feels way more hung up than the smallest rear fin. Paddling it glides because it is more stable but is slower in fast explosive bursts and overall glide length. The fronts I think can be reduced but I am all ready underpowered slightly with small rear. I want to have a looseness that I can be confident in when the board is in its ideal size range. Trying to find the balance not all power or just manoeuvrability for waves surfed. Being overpowered or underpowered or just right.
Island bay knows more about it than me. thanks for the recommendation will a have a look.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 2:31pm

I've always run the Erik Arakawa quad set and it feels great.

Used smaller rears for 6'6" compared to 7'6".

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 3:02pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Island bay knows more about it than me. thanks for the recommendation will a have a look.

Hah, I know f all. But thanks for the vote of confidence anyway. (That was meant as a joke on myself.)

I have surfed my 6'10 extensively for 4 years, so there is some familiarity and a good sense of what works for me.

I'd like a set of these, when Soar puts them on their website or will take custom orders:

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 3:09pm

In my 7’6” I’ve found I like a large fins in front and mediums for the rear.
I had a surf on the west coast last year in solid waves and tried having all 4 fins medium and I really didn’t like it. Felt like there was no drive off the bottom and was lacking speed to get around sections.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 3:44pm

Interesting.

larger rears, would make the board more back foot oriented ?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 4:18pm
goofyfoot wrote:

I had a surf on the west coast last year in solid waves and tried having all 4 fins medium and I really didn’t like it. Felt like there was no drive off the bottom and was lacking speed to get around sections.

This is under finned or under powered when possibly using a too small a set up to find any drive. Board feels terrible. Fins are not adding much at all in regards to how they should improve boards performance.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 4:30pm
Robwilliams wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

This is under finned or under powered when possibly using a too small a set up to find any drive. Board feels terrible. Fins are not adding much at all in regards to how they should improve boards performance.

I get what you’re saying but if you listen to proper big wave surfers they all say “big board, small fins” or words to that effect.
Camel from memory, twiggy and others say this

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 4:59pm

I read that also. When you wrote. I really didn’t like it. Felt like there was no drive off the bottom and was lacking speed to get around sections. I had this when I went too small. Felt actually dangerous as the board was lagging. Possibly Related to rider kgs and rear fin size. Looking at pics of Hawaiian and larger boards I was trying gauge it. Still haven't got it perfect. Making 1/2 to 1/4 inch adjustments at a time to favoured fin sizes. Where they riding 4 1/4 fronts or even smaller? Im finding An Inch decrease or inch increase have noticeable effects in how the board feels at speed.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 4:55pm

Board has Futures Plugs ?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 5:01pm

no, fcs original fcs 1

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 5:18pm

You have a Desert Storm ?
If its a great board Re Plug it to Surfinz or Gearbox plugs that will give you heaps of Adjustment -10 mm ...or even more if you trim fin tabs.....the whole Quad Cluster position can be played with
FCS 1 plugs will fail on you anyway.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 8:34pm

Im not a huge fan of the original fcs system. Old board not a nice DS. Grub screws round out the plastic threads if not very careful. Bit of a hassle when least wanted. Will have a look. Quick and easy adjustment would be great in finding the boards optimum. Being able to tune it to conditions in situation would be great.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 9:09pm

Treat yourself - buy a new [DS] ? Board

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 9:18pm

Rob, are you experimenting with flex as well as size? Would having stiffer small rears, while making the larger fronts more flexible, help?

(I'm defo no expert, just reading and asking questions to try and learn a thing or two)

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 10:53am

Patrick my gear is a mix. 5'6 to 8'4 conventional and totally unconventional. The sizes from 6'8 down have performed as you would expect. The larger sizes be it because of rail length, volume, or fin choice are different. Maybe because of the larger gaps between board sizes. Ran a slightly larger rear fin last surf 3 3/4 inches flexible. Good hold not much drive. My 3 inch stiff fin provides more drive but can't handle anything to critical when pushed hard. Had it spin out through a couple of bottom turns in heavy surf. I like stiff for drive so next rear will be 4 inches.

My style on larger boards is more central so I was trying to find the balance of compromise. If it's sliding in the tail go larger in the rear or up grade length of surfboard. I don't buy soft fins but some crew like the control. I have just used whats at hand. No larger board is going to surf like a shortboard. I wanted paddle and confidence in moving to larger boards and surf. I started mixing it up every surf until I found blend that works for me. Try any fins you can get. No set up matches every surf. A bit frustrating but hopefully it will be like a bag of clubs. Grab and go.

The DS look epic and come in a huge range. Borrow one and see if it's a fit. If I ride a shortboard but am constantly free falling, blowing it when I know I can make it I go up in board size or look at reducing rear fin size. Fins work in a number of ways and in combination with a tail shape. If it feels like its on rail tracks and stiff. Move or change down the fins. You can go straight to test this. Reducing rear or enlarging it has noticeable results.

MC is testing some stuff which sounds interesting. The pro's are in the know as is your local shaper. I wanted to understand before I invest in larger boards. No point buying a pig. I have all ready done that. Perfect waves would be an ideal testing ground but not feasible. I think personal refinement of gear can improve what you get out of it. I ask whoever I think has an interesting shape or set up that looks like a fit to their wave choice and style. Guns and larger performance boards require more of a custom fit as there is more at stake.

Refinement comes more into play due to external and individual characteristics. I am not a lightweight on a 6'3 wafer. Remember to add wetsuit kgs when wet when considering size. A 6'6 person is going to struggle on a smaller board in heavier waves unless there is an easy take off. Fast or slow waves boards perform differently. I haven't got it dialled, but I got my boards working better by fin adjustment and size. Shapers or local guru's would know better. I want the board to be as loose as possible without having no drive or twitchy. If I have that problem larger or more spaced out fins are usually possible before upgrading board size. (range) in relation to board length and fin set up. Bit of a pain in the arse but the magic combination should feel effortless under pressure and totally at balance with the wave range and rider it was designed for..

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 6:10am

Got the 6’6 DS last week and have been testing a bunch of setups. Admittedly none of the surf was quite what it was designed for, but nevertheless similar for each of the different setups – quad, thruster, 2+1 and finally keels.

I was reluctant to try a straight up twin fin config but did some measurements and the boxes are very similar in position to my 6’1” CI Twin Pin. Anyway, long story short they felt insane, heaps of drive and hold and a ton of speed down the line – no negatives that I can notice at this point. Had some decent waves on Wednesday and put up a couple of clips below. Fins are True Aimes Hobbies 26.16 square inches so rather on the large size. Will play with some smaller ones as well.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 6:19am

Off to a good start there John! What width and thickness is it? I’m thinking of getting a 6’6 (with the lower volume of the 2 stock options).

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 6:38am

John mate ...Twins in that went Unreal that was so good
How many in the water asked you what you were riding.

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 11:44am

Hey Bnkref, it's the narrower one 19 1/2 wide, stock standard. Yeah Udo felt great as a twinny, I'll keep trying some other sizes.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 12:19pm

good stuff john. Twins would be loose. keep it coming. Research as development. Some fat twins there. 6'6 will honk when needed. Bankrief Have you had a chance to paddle boards of similar volume and size? How much difference (gap) between other boards you are riding? What are you going to be targeting with it? So many boards , so little time.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 12:27pm

Great footage, john. And nice to see others experiment.

I had good times on my 8'6 DS with Captain Fin Christenson Twins (modern upright), both grovelling in 2ft waves and in good 4-6ft.

Edit - these ones:
https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/christenson-twin-e...

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 12:39pm

Tried to upload desert storm measurements. Available on site and most likely this forum earlier. If some one can repost for current discussion and ease of observation. Really helps see the differences and options. The one I found started from 7'0 going up.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 12:41pm
john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 3:51pm
Island Bay wrote:

Great footage, john. And nice to see others experiment.

I had good times on my 8'6 DS with Captain Fin Christenson Twins (modern upright), both grovelling in 2ft waves and in good 4-6ft.

Edit - these ones:
https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/christenson-twin-e...

Yeah saw that IB, made me curious to try some!

Not loose at all, in fact almost over finned, which is why I think I can go with smaller ones, even uprights. More testing tomorrow as wave are pumping here on the Northern Beaches atm.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 4:03pm

Good luck.

Winki looked good :-)

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Saturday, 2 Apr 2022 at 9:35pm

Bloody hell those keels worked a treat. Nice work.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 3 Apr 2022 at 6:54am

Maybe keep the keel on the bottom turn side, and try a more upright twin to loosen up the top turn - if you found it stiff.

Didn't look stiff.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 3 Apr 2022 at 7:05am

that was really cool to see John C.

quad set-ups have always felt so good to me in mine, I've never bothered experimenting.

Might have to now, after seeing that.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Apr 2022 at 8:03am

Theres a NVS Quad set of C-Drives in Futures on Gtree for $80

john_c's picture
john_c's picture
john_c Monday, 4 Apr 2022 at 9:34am
freeride76 wrote:

that was really cool to see John C.

quad set-ups have always felt so good to me in mine, I've never bothered experimenting.

Might have to now, after seeing that.

Cheers Steve, I've being playing with twins for years now so Quads and Thrusters feel very different to me. Only use thrusters in my 8'0" atm. Worth a play if you can borrow some.