Freedom of speech

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 4:00pm

What is freedom of speech?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 4:20pm

Really gotta sort out this QUOTE option...or ain't it an option anymore, Ben & Stu?

"...some people will never get it. Cheers princesses."

Have a think about this for a bit. What does it mean? What does it imply? How does it work?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 4:26pm

Detox, it goes both ways. My point was in relation to violence against women.

Nick3, the point being its all these small "casual" increments that become very serious down the track. Let's face it, climate change didn't happen overnight.......

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 4:36pm

Theres has been a lot of negative social commentary about the islamic faith the last couple of years a bit about catholic priests but nothing about the all mighty Jew bow down gentiles.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 5:45pm

Scomo knows it's all much of a muchness?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/22/same-sex-marriage...

"The treasurer was speaking on Radio National on Wednesday, responding to a speech by the Labor frontbencher Penny Wong, who said heterosexual politicians did not understand the fear experienced by LGBTI Australians, many of whom oppose a plebiscite on same-sex marriage.

Morrison said: “People of very strong religious views, they have also been subject to quite dreadful hate speech and bigotry as well. It is not confined to one side of this debate.

“I understand the concern Penny is raising, I know it from personal experience, having been exposed to that sort of hatred and bigotry for the views I’ve taken, from others who have a different view to me."

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 6:19pm

@sheepdog, I can't disagree with anything you pointed out , but I guess my point is that it can go too far.
I have always be so respectful, thoughtful and compromising to all the( can we still say women) in my life when I'm not surfing, and have never really had any first hand experience of what bastards some blokes can be toward them. One thing is for sure, when it comes to football women are the new black. $$$$$$
PS. thanks for not calling me a wanker . Cheers fellow humans.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 8:18pm

Old dog...... It's all good mate....... And yeah people always push the envelope..... Thats humanity for ya..... BTW, I had no reason to call you a wanker..... I'm only abusive if people abuse me, mate...... If someone like goofball totally unprovoked calls me a "drama queen", I'll respond with a "troglodyte"....

It's a bit of a worry, old goofyfoot..... I really don't know how he knows I'm into the local drama theatre OR the fact I love high heels.......... bahahahahahahaha

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 8:54pm

@ wharfjunkie talk smack on the joos and they'll throw the book at you.....http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/man-jailed-for-posting-...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 9:20pm

18 months for words that weren't even inciting or threatening violence - crazy shit.

I know a bloke that got less time for brutally attacking an innocent patron at a pub.

I'm sure the bloke was offended but that sentence is outrageous.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 9:32pm

Absolutely right Tim never speak against the allmighty Jew. Blowin your right it's excessive I think this Brendan Lee O'Connel bloke has a history of anti jew sentiment so it probably didn't help him.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 9:55pm

Troglodyte? Haha
Didn't know cavemen had the Internet.

Sheepy mate it's just coz you get so worked up trying to solve the worlds problems on a fucking surfing website.
If you're serious about it, get real and do something about it. Write emails, letters, complain, start a petition...
Or just keep being a drama queen on a surfing website.
Cheers bro

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 10:03pm

You call this "worked up", goofy? Fuck you viccos are meek..... The valium state..... Look good on a number plate.....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 10:09pm

Bit rough painting all us Mexicans with the same brush. You still offended after hako said you were only 5'3"?
S.a.m

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 11:10pm

Hakysook is wrong, Goofy.... I'm only 4'9, which is awesome.... I get stand up pits at Carrum rivermouth in a sw gale....

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 3:30pm

Rabbit you are right . Climate change did not happen overnight.. This has been going on for 4.6 billion years.
Unlike what people want us to believe that this has just been going on for the last 50- 100 years. When you put this in to context over 4.6 billion years then they do want us to believe it just happened overnight.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 3:34pm

Lets face it. People that are offended by just about anything must really have low self-esteem. So they should have a good look at themselves and not being worried about what people are saying.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm

Nick3 I'm not going to attempt to change your mind on the very serious subject of violence against women & what precedes it. We've both made our ourselves pretty clear I think. We disagree.

Re the climate change comment, I was just fishing :) I'm well aware you think that anyone that believes human interaction & climate change are related are all wankers & fruit loops.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 7:02pm

blowin, wharf.....calling the guy (jew) a homicidal maniac amongst other things im sure, filming it, and then putting it online for all the other jew haters to see and comment. that's pretty bad gents. it might not technically be inciting violence but hatred like that is beyond acceptable. not to mention that it serves nil purpose. the guy can be a jew hater in his own head. but do it in public and he deserves his punishment.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 8:11pm

3 years imprisonment happyasS is that not excessive for the actions he was charged with?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 8:51pm

Hatred is not against the law.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 10:18pm

RACIAL HATRED ACT 1995 No. 101, 1995

a rundown of the trial......http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/wa/WASCA/2012/96.html

and guess what....hes at it again in 2016
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/03/21/17/29/man-on-trial-over-face...

I would say hes bordering on mentally deranged.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 10:38pm

Blowin, as happy pointed out, hatred is against the law (racial hatred in particular)

It's even worded that way;

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2004A04951

In regards to the anti jewish guy, from the article - "and in a video he later posted online, he labelled Mr Keyser a "racist, homicidal maniac"............... Does anti jew guy have any proof that this passer by he harrassed was homicidal? That's just for starters.... To say those comments other than in a one on one situation, as in to "spread" that misinformation so many can hear it, is actually defamation of character/slander..... There have been defamtion cases that have cost people millions upon millions..... So i think anti jew guy got off relatively lightly with a backdated minimal prison sentence

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 10:40pm

I would say he's ready for a lie down.

And I thought I was bitter lately.

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 10:49pm

In the case report it references a similar case where two guys set up the Australian nationalist movement and conspired to bomb 5 Chinese resteraunts, they got two years haha http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/wa/WASCA/2008/11.html

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 11:01pm

yeah well, lets not compare apples and oranges. at least not jewish ones.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 12:10am

Etrog

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 7:20am

Rabbits, I realise you were fishing . Unfortunately it back fired on you.
What do you mean about not bothering about changing my mind about violence against women???
I missed the post were I was pro violence towards women.
I just explained to you that a joke does not make a person bash a women,man,gay,black,white,christian,jew,muslim and so on. It is people that bash people.
I couldn't give a shit about Eddie Macguire but please show me evidence that he is a wife/women basher.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 10:32am

Thank goodness Sam Newman came along and added a bit of sanity to the discussion. Sam for Mayor.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 11:16am

Woohoo, how's how this thread has progressed/regressed? Even brought the likes of Nick Nick Nick outta the dungeon.

But of course it did.

Fucking Sam Newman. Still creaking along. His 'relevance deficiency syndrome' is really playing up.

I can't believe that shower of shite the Footy Show is still going either. Crazier still, it's been going for 23 fucking years?!

I don't know what that says about the great Aussie viewing public. 23 fucking years of the same old dodgy bollocks (and with Sammy, you can read that literally!). Cringe-worthy.

Then again, I can't believe that Annabel Crabb's Kitchen Crapola is into its 6th season?!

Beam me up.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 11:21am

Nick3.... You write "I just explained to you that a joke does not make a person bash a women,man,gay,black,white,christian,jew,muslim and so on. It is people that bash people."...... Maaan.... Bashings usually start with "words"...... It's pretty rare for someone to just go up and bash someone... Maybe 1% of assualts are random unprovoked attacks..... Most fights start with "words".... Its called incitement... So if you have a generel acceptance of joking about violence against women, it'll manifest into the greater society........ Racism towards the Vietnamses was rife when "jokes" about "slope heads" and "side valves"....... Since those jokes have dissapeared, so to has the racism.....
As far as your Eddie/wife basher question, well, that's just a stupid question that doesn't deserve an answer...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 11:21am

Having said that about the Footy Show, the newish member of the gang - Rebecca Maddern, a woman! - did say this after Newman's rant:

“I think in the media, we have to be reminded that we are in a very privileged position. We have a voice. That voice is listened to by many people, and people absorb what we say. And in turn, because of that, we have a power to change the conversation and shape the public perception about certain issues.”

“If we want big things to change in the community then we need to start with the small things. Whatever the issue is. Whether it’s domestic violence, whether it’s violence against women, whether it’s coward punches, whether it’s bullying. Attitudes need to be changed if we are to get, eventually, to the big things.”

One for Bolt et al to ponder?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 11:29am

Turkmanistan... I used to dig old sam..... The sam/rex combo on 3aw was better than the tv commentary..... But he has seriously lost the plot over the last few years..... Cranky old man syndrome....
His rant the other night was beyond pathetic..... As a current empoyee of triple m, his views were nothing more than "payola", almost "cash for comment", and could not be taken as independent..... Just a blatant attack of rival 3aw.... Of course at the beginning of his gastric chortle, he didn't have the balls to state he is a paid mmm employee.....
And here's the real funny bit...... He said many in the media have jumped on this bandwagon, this media circus...... Called them "excrement"....... Yet here he is jumping on the bandwagon...... A bit like a turd calling a turd a turd......

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 12:22pm

To go along with Sam's 'relevance deficiency syndrome', he's got a terminal case of 'un-self-awareness dysfunction' (which is quite widespread amongst the wider community...see on here for example).

To be fair to Annabel Crabb, she did tweet this after Sam's rant:

Wiping tears of hilarity after hearing that Sam Newman has accused Caro Wilson of "becoming an embarrassment". #ironyisdead

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 11:55am

He seems to be taking the contrary position on everything these days..... A bit like grandpa simpson.....

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 12:31pm

is it ok to agree with hako and the turkey?

except the kitchen cabinet bit, I like that show

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 1:24pm

Nick3, no backfire mate. That lure I cast your way was hit pretty hard :)

You have missed the point of the whole issue. Just because you think it was a joke doesn't actually make it a joke. Digest that first then try and think about the issue from a broader perspective.

Hako o hakonde ... Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 2:12pm

My Wife agreed with Sam, How politically incorrect am I , having an opposite sex partner.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 2:28pm

Hacko, you sure? I thought Southey was your 'significant other'?

Hako o hakonde ... Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 3:36pm

Well he's a big girl sometimes, isn't he? :)))

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 4:11pm

Rabbits I am glad you agree with me that climate change didn't just happen overnight.
Sheepdog you are so wrong . Words are just words. It is how you use them and how people react to them.
So I go back to the point that it is the persons attitude using the words and then the persons attitude that the words are directed at that make the differance.
Rabbits going off your theory there is no such thing as a joke or any place for comedy. That is because in the population of earth around 7 billion there might be someone that is offended by what ever is said.
It all starts from how people are brought up and what values they have learnt. My kids couldn't be any further from a person that bashes somebody or uses words to hate and they love their comedy and jokes.
How is that possible????
So stop with bullshit about broader perspective and sheepdog do you really think that racism against Vietnamese is none existent because of less jokes about slope heads.
I don't think that a person suddenly becomes a racist against Vietnamese because he hears a joke about a slope head. That person is a racist because of what he believes and thinks.
If a black person tells jokes about black people does that make him a full blown racist???

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 5:33pm

Nick, the older folk who used the terms "slope head" are still probably racist towards them, but under their breath..... The younger gen y and millenials who haven't grown up with "fuck off slope head" being hurled around are no where near as racist towards the Vietnamese.....
In regards to your your "black person tells jokes about black people"...... Well......... Here's the deal man...... Really good, smart , intelligent comedians know the secret to a decent race based or sex based joke....... The secret is............... It has to make the target of the joke laugh..... Now a hack at a friday night comedy club may not ne able to do it..... But really good comedians can.... That's why they are good comedians..... If you can make a joke about eg African Americans, and the African Americans laugh, you have accomplished it...... Jim Carey, the guys at Little Britain etc often target minorities, but because of their brilliance at finding funny quirks, theose minorities lap it up...... I still laugh at the scene out of me myself and Irene where the dwarf loses his shit over fried chicken...... Same deal with the little britain sketch Vicki Pollard........ But Eddie on MMM..... That wasnt a joke..... That was just shit....

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 5:44pm

Mate, let's back it up now. You're on real shaky ground when comedic taste is chucked out there like that. Worthy of another thread?

Or am I dis-respecting the notion of free speech right now? And coming down with a case of 'un-self-awareness dysfunction' myself?!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 6:09pm

Mate I'm all for free speech... Let the "free market" sort it out..... It certainly worked for eddie..... Pulled his head in big time..

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 6:14pm

"Mate, let's back it up now. You're on real shaky ground when comedic taste is chucked out there like that. Worthy of another thread?

Or am I dis-respecting the notion of free speech right now? And coming down with a case of 'un-self-awareness dysfunction' myself?!"

Which is a roundabout way of saying I can't stand Little Britain and Jim Carrey.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 7:58pm

Yeah I pictured you more of a Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures man....

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 9:20pm

Always thought Robbins was never strong enough on his lonesome. Kel Knight, purveyor of fine meats though...now, we're cooking with gas.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 11:34pm

" Oh , Hush those sweet lips Cath Day-Knight . "
Hako , it's not my fault I'm a Kimmy spunkrat , but you kept feeding me fatty foods trying to get me into your favourite shape " Sharon " . I won't make that mistake of wearing the netball skirt again .
Not my fault I'm a gun netballer/basketballer . Ellistons' finest .!

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 5:25pm

Hmmm, Southey and Hako sparring?

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 6:20pm

Well ho ho ho ho ho. There goes the grievance industry!

Soon we will be able to say the things we have always said to those who most deserve to have those things said to them.

What a fine way to conclude a week on a Friday afternoon!

Freedom. Leftwing Lickspittles on your bike! tehehehehhehee

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 6:29pm

Because the world can only be fixed by denigrating minorities.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 7:14pm

For thinking that the subjective opinion on the world around you is something to be ashamed of.

Everybody hurts ....sometimes.

Don't gloss over the salient point....treat others as you'd like to be treated.

No need for presumptuous moral police then.

And fuck 18c.