What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 6:55pm

Actually apropos of fuck all, anyone on here dealt with paddling out at 10-12-15+ Uluwatu? On a, say, 9'0 board that's thicker than some of the kunts on here?

Is paddling out and around from Padang a plan of attack? Or just feel the pain from the cave?

Calling all Hellmenn, give us the good mayo!

Quick!

Burp.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 3 Sep 2016 at 9:34am

Have I offended you? Didn't mean to.

Sure, love to watch Curren surf and read great writers.

Equally so, love to watch the locals tear it apart and shoot the shit in the carpark.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 8:40pm

Fuck paddling up from Padang against the current. Getting out at low tide through the cave isn't too bad.
Then if the swells big and you want to come in its easy to paddle down to Padang with the sweep and come in there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 3 Sep 2016 at 8:11am

@Batfink:" I 'summate' them as being older/younger, male/female, clever/stupid, and all the other dichotomies, but I have eradicated the 'superior/inferior' dichotomy from my mind. I just don't use it, on the liminal or the subliminal. I truly have freed myself from that."

And on that topic: "Whatever you think, you don’t necessarily know your own mind"

Not right, not wrong, and from the times we've met I know you've spent (far) more time working on yourself than most people, yet it's a timely li'l read.

"What seems to be happening is that the subjects engage in unconscious self-interpretation. They don’t know the real explanation of their action, so they infer some plausible reason and ascribe it to themselves."

And on another note, the site that's taken from, Aeon, is definitely worth bookmarking, it regularly has clever, thought-provoking articles. Think it's become my second favourite website on the 'net.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 3 Sep 2016 at 10:06am

Aeon looks unreal, Stu . Cheers.

I'd love to add more on the behaviour topic but I'm currently buckled with illness. Save it for later.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 3 Sep 2016 at 11:20am

Aeon - most interesting link yet from SN - many thanks, Stu.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Saturday, 3 Sep 2016 at 11:29pm

Aeon. Rang a bell. Bit of controversy between Vyvyan Evans and Noam Chomsky. Check it. Put Aeon on the map...not for good reasons in some circles. Circles that don't matter?

Therein lies the rub.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 4 Sep 2016 at 2:56pm

"What seems to be happening is that the subjects engage in unconscious self-interpretation. They don’t know the real explanation of their action, so they infer some plausible reason and ascribe it to themselves."

Yeah, rationalisation, it's the one constant in humans. We all do it constantly, some of us know that we do it and try to break it down and see their own thought limitations, others just accept the bullshit being sprouted in their own heads and assume it is god's truth.

Good site Stu, and yes I have bookmarked it. Read the comments on that article too, mostly educated people spouting highly educated but not very insightful stuff. :-)

You're right about me spending much time on myself. Most of the last 30 years has had one common thread to it, one over-arching theme, which I was only able to put to words in recent years, and that is 'how I fool myself' and by extrapolation 'how we humans fool ourselves'.

A lot of the psychology stuff isn't that valuable, in my opinion. It starts in the wrong place and therefore never goes anywhere useful. Behavioural psychologists and particularly those who moved into the 'behavioural economics' space have been incredibly valuable. Daniel Kahnemann and Amos Tversky most notable, summarised in the book 'Thinking Fast and Slow'. Wonderful stuff.

Other things I have read in recent years that I thought were great in their insights include "Everything is obvious, once you know the answer" (great ideas on the post-rationalisation process) and Freakonomics.

A field of study without end! Probably explains my interest.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 4 Sep 2016 at 2:58pm

Hope you fathers out there are having a good day, BTW. Mostly under-appreciated and over-worked, never think that what you do doesn't count for much.

urchy's picture
urchy's picture
urchy Monday, 5 Sep 2016 at 8:44pm

What you cant have you want most,what you have too much of you dont want!
Being addicted to something must mean we just cant get enough.
Mick sang about satisfaction..we rise and fall according to cosmos and karma.
Every dog has its day in the sun.Offshore, onshore.The answer my friend is blowin in the wind???
Take a piss outside.The tree of life isnt made in china its right here.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 6 Sep 2016 at 5:54pm

Well, well, well...

Firefighter stoush: Secret report for CFA reveals anti-union ambitions

by Nick Toscano & Richard Willingham.

The Country Fire Authority commissioned a secret report that recommends thwarting the union presence in the organisation, abolishing its influence over decisions and hiring firefighters on non-union individual contacts.

The leaked report, obtained by Fairfax Media, was commissioned by the CFA to "review its existing workplace relations arrangements" and to reset its relationship with the United Firefighters Union.

The CFA had been locked in a bitter workplace dispute with the militant firefighters' union since 2013, with management resisting union claims, which firefighters said would enhance community and staff safety.

The report, marked "strictly confidential" and legally privileged, was prepared in March this year by Seyfarth Shaw Australia, the law firm that was also used by the former Coalition state government to press recommendations to the royal commission into union corruption.

It lays out a slew of hardline measures for the CFA to "start driving the desired change now" towards a model of reduced union power in the workplace, including hiring firefighters on "individual and/or non-union" agreements.

Since the report was given to the CFA, the board has been sacked by the Andrews government, with chief executive Lucinda Nolan also quitting her post.

Other recommendations to tackle union influence include reducing union officials' rights of entry into CFA workplaces and cracking down on strike pay.

"There is an opportunity to withhold payments in respect to partial work bans," the document says.

"There may also be a basis to press to recover certain payments made to date."

The document says that the union has been "operating independently from the lawful boundaries of its role" and advises management to challenge some industrial action.

"The UFU has advanced various demands that would further compromise the capacity of the CFA to meet its operational objectives, and a substantial wage claim," it says.

And it recommends that the CFA engage in myth-busting to counter misinformation.

"Do this in a public and visible way [UFU statement vs truth] to erode confidence in the union agenda," it says.

The former CFA board and the volunteer firefighters' association have argued that the new agreement hands too much power to the United Firefighters Union, and undermines the CFA's management capacity and the role of volunteers.

"The current model of engagement at the CFA is that of traditional, captive workplace. The objective of this process is to drive towards a more progressive approach," the document says.

UFU secretary Peter Marshall said the secret report – commissioned under former minister Jane Garrett's watch – laid bare why the CFA board was dismissed and senior officials resigned.

"The CFA board's failure to deliver an enterprise agreement for three years is not just incompetence. This has been a Liberal Party campaign to bust union representation," Mr Marshall said.

"The report recommends the CFA take actions to 'erode public confidence in the union agenda'.

"Our agenda is protecting Victorian communities and making sure career and volunteer firefighters get home safe to their families after serving at a fire event."

"The CFA board was plotting to deunionise while ignoring the thousands of volunteer and career employees who were being poisoned at their own training facility in Fiskville."

Ms Nolan and chief officer Joe Buffone are due to front a parliamentary inquiry into the fire services on Tuesday.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 6 Sep 2016 at 8:11pm

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-chinese-interests-power-struggle-is-ab...

An actual assessment of the situation .

A decade too late, but it's a start.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 6 Sep 2016 at 9:20pm

Ah so. Or sumfink.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 6 Sep 2016 at 9:49pm

Hey, at least their waiters never are rude.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 2:24pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 5:46pm

Hard to take that seriously Sheepdog when it has a tacky logo called "Real Truth Now" and a spelling mistake in the print "News nedia" even with how bad my spelling and grammar is i would have ensured it was correct before it floated around the net.

Anyway what we are seeing at the moment around the world is just a bounce back effect against the exact opposite of fascism, its not fuelled by governments its a revolt from the people it's happening everywhere.

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 7:08pm

Rather than waste cyberspace with the bullshit espoused by talkingshit and batdroppings on this forum, let's look at the real issues affecting Australians eg Islamic extremists attacking white Aussies. When are we going to deal with these Muslim fuckers? Shoot that prick in Minto, don't stun the bastard!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 7:51pm

That's what he wanted tween, then he would have achieved matyrdom and in the eyes of his peers he would have been a hero. A cowardly stupid dead hero, but to the other idiots out there contemplating such, a hero nontheless.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 8:06pm

nice list, apart from the spelling error, SD. but where are the examples?

perhaps news media? do you think our access to diversified media is better or worse than say 20 years ago.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 8:44pm

This is an older article but still relevant I think, especially considering that the LNP figurehead may have changed but the powerbrokers and their ideologies haven't.

Similar list to Sheepy's.

Must say that I disagree somewhat when the author rules out number 1 as being applicable in Australia - there's been a huge increase in the use of "patriotic symbols....and flags" by politicians in the past 15 or so years and to my mind this has clearly influenced sections of the public e.g. tattoos.

http://theaimn.com/the-characteristics-of-fascism-and-how-we-might-note-...

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 8:58pm

so how does selling our country out to overseas investors fit into this world of patriotism?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 11:37pm

Indo and Happy... Perhaps just take in the meme instead of being grammar nazis... We can all do that.. Afteral, in your post Indo, you forgot to put in several commas and a full stop..... So yes, your grammar is sub par as you stated.... And the logo is the name of the FB page.....
Happy..... When you start a sentence, use a capital letter. It aint that hard to hold down the shift key. You also forgot a question mark at the end.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 8:20am

Yeah i do hate grammar police, but with something like that id ask someone to check it...to be honest i don't even remember getting taught grammar at school and if i did I'm sure i just thought fuck this i don't need it and continued drawing graffiti designs etc on my books, it's only been since I've been online that I've actually learnt a tiny bit, to be honest it was only about two years ago i learnt the difference between there, their and they're.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 9:24am

Don't worry too much about grammar Indo, I think forums are just for sharing ideas, not for writing a thesis.

Sheepy probably proof read his post about ten times before he put that one up (just in case someone tried to call him out) A little over-use of ellipses in his post imo, but otherwise it's pretty spot on- ha ha!

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 4:41pm

"Afteral, "

Couldn't have read it too closely Zen!

Theweener spoke thusly;

" let's look at the real issues affecting Australians eg Islamic extremists attacking white Aussies."

Given that the likelihood of ever meeting a muslim extremist, let alone being attacked by one, there are bigger issues to talk about. Shark attacks, much more likely, death by meteorite, much higher again, by car accident - much higher again.

Coming across a post from an angry white guy on a computer screen on any given day. Well, that's a given.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 4:51pm

So. How does selling off our country fit into our so called patriotic fascist world. Some would say that all that flag waving is just a cover to hide the reality.

That's was a question, make no mistake.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 5:29pm

"Angry white guy"?

That's it Batfink, we're off to the HRC.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 1:56pm

Einstein said a problem can never be fixed by the same thinking that created it fascism will destroy itself by its own dysfunction. But the voting public must act thru organized action bringing forth alternate solutions. Any solutions my friends?

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 1:57pm

Einstein said a problem can never be fixed by the same thinking that created it fascism will destroy itself by its own dysfunction. But the voting public must act thru organized action bringing forth alternate solutions. Any solutions my friends?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 4:19pm

No, I didn't proof read it..... No, I wont proof read my future posts... And no, I wont be trolling through your material to find gammar mistarkes... But I'm sure they are there...
My points, yes, my points, were why throw stones when living in a glass house? Nothing like being a grammar nazi..... And was the grammar of the meme the first thing that came to mind to discuss, and not the message of the meme?
Anyhow, I am glad some have taken up the "challenge"..

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 4:40pm

So, muslim extremists are to be ignored as "it won't affect me"? Good to see you' re so concerned for your fellow man, bat. Maybe the leaders of the western world should just turn a blind-eye and focus on the big issues which affect us all, like fascism?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 5:31pm

Politics

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:07pm

The ween..... there are 2 types of idiots in this world..... And you're both of them.

Anyhoo, what a wonderous war to be involved in!! Thankyou Former PM Blabbott for getting us involved..... And thankyou Bilge Shirtfront for backing him.....

"Australian jets involved in US-led air strike which killed dozens of Syrian soldiers, Defence confirms"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-18/australian-jets-involved-in-botche...

And like clockwork, a pissant home made device detonated in New York takes centre stage just after the Syrian carnage...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:07pm

The ween..... there are 2 types of idiots in this world..... And you're both of them.

Anyhoo, what a wonderous war to be involved in!! Thankyou Former PM Blabbott for getting us involved..... And thankyou Bilge Shirtfront for backing him.....

"Australian jets involved in US-led air strike which killed dozens of Syrian soldiers, Defence confirms"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-18/australian-jets-involved-in-botche...

And like clockwork, a pissant home made device detonated in New York takes centre stage just after the Syrian carnage...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:48pm

Did you see this weekend's "Weekend Australian" Sheepy? (Won't think any less of you if you didn't).

A couple of huge pro-military headlines on the front of two sections of the paper, one of which trumpeted Australia's righteous role in dealing out justice in the Middle East - where's that checklist re: fascism again?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 11:14pm

No, Andy I didn't see it.... I don't buy the papers, and I refuse to pay for any Murdoch subscription. Cheers.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 1:41pm

From The Economist 'A giant problem: The rise of the corporate colossus threatens both competition and the legitimacy of business'

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21707210-rise-corporate-colossus-threatens-both-competition-and-legitimacy-business

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm

Sounds good Stu, I'll take a look at that. I'm not sure just how much people realise that huge multi-national corporations have usurped both democracy and capitalism. It's just a new way to reach that state known as totalitarianism.

Seriously, they will fuck everything. There will be nothing to stop them. Solutions - break them up!

Theween, I'm not sure whether you're just here trolling or dead serious. I'll assume you're serious. The threat of multi-national companies taking over everything, including our governments, is real and affects everyone.

Muslim extremists numbers are tiny! Really small. The number of muslim extremists who aren't currently engaged in a civil war against other muslim extremists is miniscule. They hav ea good press agent, and you are buying their stories and want something to happen, what I don't know. It just isn't a threat, to us or to much of anywhere else. Do you know how many people die every day, from car accidents, cancer, heart attacks, being fat. Farking millions. How many die from terrorism, 1? 2? 10?

There is no end of things that you can worry about if you want to, but Australia is not filled with muslim extremists around every corner. You have bought the right wing nut job line and swallowed it whole. If however you are planning on going to the middle east, that is a different story, and your risks become real and significant.

I'm 54, there has been no time in my life where the middle east wasn't a powder-keg. It was created by the British and Americans to be exactly that.

I am seriously concerned for my fellow man theween, but I am powerless. As I am powerless over a million other things. But what I do have some control over is not spreading hate, seeing through lies and propaganda, and maybe throwing something on here that will enlighten someone, just possibly.

I've just never seen, heard, or read of any circumstance or historical event where spreading ideologies and stereotypes and hate for other human beings has advanced us, as individuals or as a group. I've never seen the point in worrying about things that are tiny when there are huge obstacles directly in front of me, every day.

What would you have me do?

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 at 9:20pm

People involved in explotation especially within multi national groups will become impacted by the vibration of oneness. They will either change to Assist all humanity and sustainable planet resources or they and especially their most loved ones will be removed from this life.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 21 Sep 2016 at 12:00pm

You have more faith then I dave, but longer term you are definitely right. The question is just how much 'collateral damage' there will be in the meantime.

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 9:17am

All hail Sheepdog, the greatest mind in the galaxy! If we tip-toe around then maybe IS won't notice us.....
As for your Real Truth (sic) 10 commandments of Fascism, think I saw the pigs write something similar in Animal Farm. The sad thing about you and your ilk, SD, is that you probably believe half the shit that you write.

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 9:17am

All hail Sheepdog, the greatest mind in the galaxy! If we tip-toe around then maybe IS won't notice us.....
As for your Real Truth (sic) 10 commandments of Fascism, think I saw the pigs write something similar in Animal Farm. The sad thing about you and your ilk, SD, is that you probably believe half the shit that you write.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 10:01am

Ween there are some pretty good minds out there (Orwell for starters) who have pointed out some of the defining characteristics of fascism - in what ways do you disagree with them?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 12:19pm

Gee, ween.... For someone who has continually whinged and whined about the politico thread, wanting it removed, saying participants are wankers, you sure do spend a lot of time here...... You're a walking talking contradiction... A skid mark....

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 2:44pm

The Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen (and his ilk) reminds me of Billy Bob in this here clip.

Doggo, you can be Duvall if you want.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 2:48pm

It's enough to move a Ween to tears.

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 7:31pm

QUICK, RUN FOR THE EXITS, AUSTRALIA NOW A FASCIST STATE!
For the life of me I can't understand why the over-whelmingly relevant concerns expressed ad infinitum on this thread aren't on the front pages of every newspaper in the land.... What fools these refos are, wanting to come to a gulag like Oz.
BTW you give me far too much credit boys- if you didn't write so much shit, there'd be no need for me to (occasionally) respond.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 7:52pm

BTW is the name The Ween from the band?

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 10:31pm

still waiting for a response on how our "selling off of our country to foreign buyers" sits in this whole crazy new fascist australia we live in?

simple question, and yet no one can answer.

maybe this is an easier one....how does our freedom to information on our uncensored internet fit in with our fascist leaders? ok ok....you win.....they did make a law to censor internet piracy....ha ha ha.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 10:59am

Happy Arse, who you been asking? Lord Dickfists? Tones? Brandis?

Covered up your webcam lens with a band-aid yet?

As for The Weeeeeeeeen...

"I wish my heart wasn't blue, I wish it was red as Satan"