What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 1:50pm

Hey Spuddyjack, just going on Blowie's previous political party voting affinity.

"Ya fuck one goat..."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:11pm

Now you’ve got me dreaming.....

Sitting in a comfortable chair with my feet up on an unjustifiably expensive desk as flunkies titter around me in my recently renovated office.

Blowing cigar smoke towards the ceiling and revealing a tiny smile as I joyfully remember when I screamed a belittling order at a meek and humiliated subordinate to get his wretched carcass out of my sight, as he’d dared to mention the last time the fumes from my $500 smoke had released the ceiling sprinklers and drenched the office at huge expense to the taxpayers.

Yes Men statisticians from a shoe horned consultancy reading the latest doctored polling results and sycophantically bolstering my re-election chances with their sweet , sweet lies directed at my ever burgeoning ego.

Barely glancing as I shew away another privateer trying to read me the results of focus groups consisting of the concerns of actual plebeian taxpayers......uuggghh. Who needs their tiny minded opinions ?

Whoops ....and there’s the bell for 11AM already ! Time for a many coursed power lunch and a few bottles of gifted wine with a handful of my favourite deep pocketed property developers .....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:08pm

Meanwhile I'm mining the Swellnet archives for every story of bongs with Ed, blues on the beach, and questionable political statements, freeing them from the closet and into a zip file dossier where I'll send them to any hack who'll pay.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:10pm

Eventually, like, almost immediately, it'll be exactly as you've imagined!

But until then you can cut your teeth manning the stall during car boot markets under the local shopping centre at Lismore :)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:11pm

Politically hobbled before I even got a glimpse of a brown paper bag, dammit.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:16pm

If an astute thinker with an aptitude for political discourse and an even temperament such as Peter Garret can get hobbled so easily, imagine how routinely I’d be compromised given my “ chequered “ past.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:20pm

Just re-imagine your "chequered" past as a flag beckoning you as you race towards the finish line, ahead of your rivals, the roar of the crowd in your ears.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:21pm

Actually Stu.

If you were serious it’d be a nice little sting.

I could be forced into forsaking the political career I never wanted , as we both walk away with a big bag of Rupert’s money gifted from his grubby political editor in exchange for dirt that I’ve supplied to you for sale to the highest bidder.

I’ve got that many shadows lurking that if we got $10 for every seedy bit of gossip you fed them , we’d be minted.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:23pm

Fuck , as if anyone’s got a seedier past than our current honourable members.

“ I’m a good country bloke - I know how to shear a sheep , fly a plane and fuck my woman.”

FFS.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 4:04pm

Thinking of getting political here and putting up SAP placard on my fence for this election. Radical I know.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 4:08pm

That actually is pretty radical.

It’d be a more overt political stance that any of my friends have ever taken.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 4:15pm

Blowin, just throw a Jeb Bush about your misspent youth and Stu is instantly nobbled.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 4:47pm

Do it fellas, stand up for some sort of positive change.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:15pm

Some really good comments going on in the Weatherzone forums, multiple heat records taken out in the SA thread, but it's the power generation fiasco going on between SA, Vic, Tas that is most interesting.

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1486697/1

Apparently SA has fired up the diesels to prevent a large amount of blackouts in Vic (which usually exports baseload to SA during peaks). Also, power generators have been denied the market rate of $14500 and have been regulated to provide at $100. Hotter day coming up tomorrow for Vic, should be interesting...

(Pleasant here down on the coast)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:16pm

Makes you wonder how it's going to pan out when we all have an electric car too.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 8:08am
I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 9:33am

Mean while here at my place near Mandurah its 10 degrees this morning its all gotten real weird.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 12:08pm

Is this guy drunk ?

Talk about focusing on the wrong targets . How dare he pick on Xi Jinping ......his hair is always perfect and he’s never even sent a controversial tweet !

Unlike some people . You know who I’m talking about.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/mortal-danger-facing-society...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 12:34pm

Same guy said this last year.
"Today, China has not only a more vigorous economy but actually a better functioning government than the United States."

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 1:14pm

Traders talk their book.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 1:14pm

And he’s probably not wrong.

It’s an extremely high price to pay for improved functionality though isn’t it ? I’d rather the ridiculous antics of Scott Morrison whereby I’m free to publicly lambast him , than the goal time incentive to laud Xi Jinping.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 1:43pm

How long till we in Australia “ improve “ our statistical analysis ?

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/01/statistics-nz-dramatically-lowe...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 4:26pm

As I've said before Blowin I think Xi is working in a different time scale to the rest of the world.. He is setting up a dynasty. Not necessarily in the sense of it being inherited but in the sense of establishing the principles and procedures that will establish stable effective government long into the future and enable China to be the unrivalled major power.
Major powers always pose a threat, not only to rival powers, but to their own citizens. For my whole life we have lived with the threat of nuclear war and we have come very close to it several times. I am convinced that China has no interest in that path. They are interested in soft power so yes, they will try to manipulate and control us though to a much less extent than their own people. I can live with that. I am already tracked by numerous corporations whose data can be passed on to the government at any time. That data is also traded between corporations to enable them to better manipulate my consumer habits. Despite this there is no danger of us losing our freedom of speech. It is all just helpful data in our corporate paradise. Chinese culture has always emphasised the group over the individual and social harmony over social justice. Who are we, with our history and on going record of abuses to tell them they are wrong?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 5:11pm

You’re kidding right ?

You’re really comparing the use of data to tailor advertising with a regime who just kidnapped a foreign citizen ( Australian no less ) because he said things that Xi doesn’t like ?

Prioritised social harmony over justice.....cause social harmony has always worked out so well for them.

To be honest , BB , I believe you’re thinking is dated. You’ve still pinned Nuclear war as the greatest acute threat to mankind. People of my generation never took it seriously. When you mention it now it leaves me a bit taken aback.

And you’re constant referrals to China as having no nefarious intent , only interested in soft power are going to require some serious evidence to be taken even remotely seriously.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 5:13pm

But you’ve still not commented on Soro’s beliefs even though you hold his opinions in high regard.

For some reason, you’ve got a massive Blindspot when it comes to China.

What goes down when you host your parties with your sino mates ? You’re not another Sam Dastyari are you ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 6:24pm

Blowin, if your generation never took nuclear war seriously the only excuse is ignorance and even that is barely forgiveable.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 6:28pm

Oh and I thought I made it clear that China would pursue its interest vigorously, just not by starting a war. You can characterise them as nefarious but cynical self-interest is what I would say. Our Chinese friends, as is usual in their diplomatic service, were only here for acouple of years and are now back in Beijing. We may visit them at some point in their home town........ where the pandas are!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 6:33pm

OK Soros is a progressive thinker and has expressed many opinions that I would agree with but when it comes to predictions he has a pretty poor record. He has predicted an economic crisis three times now without it happening, so I respect his concerns but I think they are over-stated..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 7:24pm

Yet the doomsday clock mob have been threatening nuclear destruction for nearl 70 years but you still fall for their theatrics.

Remember how you spent all of 2015 huddled under a desk with your loved ones because the globe wasabout to fall apart ?

That’s cause the clock was 3 minutes to midnight then . Didn’t notice you mentioning it then , maybe because Obama wasn’t sexist ?

Read this for a little insight into the Doomsday clock mob - https://thebulletin.org/sites/default/files/1949%20Clock%20Statement%201...

Talk about failed predictions.....

Got to love that it’s authored by one of those notorious experts in world affairs - a botanist.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 7:44pm

Blowin, Daniel Ellsberg's book reveals numerous incidents, uncontested by historians, which came far too close to nuclear war. Now you may be comfortable with an 0.002% chance or whatever you estimate, but given the MAD policies that still dominate the superpowers thinking, sorry, the only acceptable risk of nuclear war is zero

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Saturday, 26 Jan 2019 at 11:17am

Time will tell.
2 minutes till midnight.

"The last time the clock was as close to midnight as it has been in the past two years was in 1953, when the US-Soviet arms race escalated. Moscow tested a hydrogen bomb in August of that year after the detonation of an American H-bomb the previous November."

"Though unchanged from 2018, this setting should be taken not as a sign of stability but as a stark warning to leaders and citizens around the world," the Chicago-based group said in a statement.

Nothing to see hear, fake news, move along, its 'business as usual'.

Trust us, we're politicians.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10749200

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 8:36pm

Essential reading it puts a lot of the debae here into context. Read the whole thing.

"As we have seen, the objective of fascist metapolitical dictionaries like those by Faye and Friberg is to insinuate innocent-sounding terms into public discourse in order to make once-unacceptable anti-democratic ideologies seem benign, thereby lessening public opposition to, if not licensing, anti-democratic action. When the fundamental democratic principle of equal respect is recast as “political correctness,” it is no surprise that people would become more accepting of politicians calling entire immigrant groups “rapists” and “snakes.” When politicians start calling immigrants and refugees “illegal aliens,” it is no surprise that people become more accepting of treating them like they are less than human, snatching their children and consigning them to cages and squalid camps.

I am a philosopher of language and a linguist by training, as well as an epistemologist and a cognitive scientist. I know a lot about what is known about language and thought, and have a good sense of what remains unknown. As matters stand, we can see when certain ways of talking and thinking are gaining a wider purchase, but we have no obvious way of calculating the effects on individuals and society.
Moreover, we do not know if it is possible to adopt the language of hysteria about leftists, unions, Marxism, gender, and immigrants without also adopting other parts of the fascist package. We do not know if fascism is a holistic language game. Here, the best guides come from our own history. Intellectuals from Klemperer to James Baldwin have warned us about the costs of defeat in the semantic war, which we lose by adopting the vocabulary of our enemies.

I am deeply worried that our changing linguistic use is paving the road to anti-democratic outcomes, including modern-day versions of fascism, which will not mirror precisely the forms we have known in the past. Given this danger, it is vitally important not to shy away from labeling the danger for what it is."

https://www.project-syndicate.org/onpoint/our-increasingly-fascist-publi...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 12:00pm

Totally agree BB what that article is saying. I'll add it is obvious that some of the forum topics here and a couple of people who jump over themselves to contribute play this game. The patterns are here for all to see, the very same issues emerge with the same innuendo, often race related and negative and in support of far right influenced agenda. I support Ben's actions yesterday things got too weird but that was all out in the open, at least those guys were being upfront and honest, just like Blob and other nut cases that have fallen off the ceiling, but its the sneak, the sewer rat, claiming to be interested in discussion for discussion sake, but always with a twist, that pisses me off no end. My mum said you can watch a thief but you can't watch a liar. Too true and to that end I support Ben or Stu shutting down such discussions earlier rather than later and to that end I might be prepared to fukn let loose myself.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm

The topic was discussed fine for most of the thread and by most here.

Its just Factum and his typical poke in the ribs smart arse remarks trying to stir people up, rarely contribute to the topic mostly just trying to stir people up.

But sorry Blowin you should know better then take the bait, yeah sure you can't always ignore it we are all only human and sometimes you need to stand up for yourself i get that, but if you react time after time you are just giving him what he wants.

Better to just stick to the topic and let him spin his crap and poke you in the ribs, then he just ends up looking like the fool trying to stir up shit.

But when you start going tit for tatt it makes you look bad and devalues all your other good post and points that you had made earlier, and it gets really boring for others following the thread.

Im sure Guy is pointing fingers at me because he thinks I'm some redneck racist or something that just bites my lip.

You can think that if you like, but you are wrong, it would be great if we were all in some pub with a predominant Indigenous community, because i bet it would be Blowin and me hanging out with the Indigenous people, shooting pool, and going rounds in beers talking shit about fishing or what not.

While most would be on the other side of the room with their own folk talking politics or trying to prove how much $$$ they earn a year or some other shit.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm

Blowin and others hiding on here, called my wife, an innocent woman, an underage Asian slut and whore, whilst hiding between stupe’s and bents legs. It, in all it’s chickenshit smarminess, is all still on here. Facto has posted plenty of interesting info.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:24pm

Mate, I've asked you before to provide the evidence of it. I've never seen it.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:36pm

Like I said, smarmy.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:38pm

*sigh*

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:43pm

Crypto just want to know if you and Factum are one and the same?

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:46pm

No. Do you need help with injury rehab or something... probably best to try udesless... hey are you udesless?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:46pm

No, they're two different people.

A lot, in fact most, assumptions people make about other online posters are incorrect.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm

Darn right there Indo and/or are you just another belligerently arrogant dutchie fukn know it all that's never been wrong it their life. Youse know all about the Aboriginal community don't ya coz you grew up in the valley hard and had a Koori mate, got news for you fuckstain I worked with those Aboriginal co-ops for years trying to address the under privilege and local prejudice you keep on denying here.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 2:00pm

C'mon, not this thread as well....

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 2:06pm

Hmm hot, humid, a bit too much alcohol. We've all gone troppo! Time to turn the aircon on, rehydrate and listen to some Mozart!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 2:20pm

BB, Liszt or Chopin- nocturnes.

Heavenly.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 2:37pm

Bach? Brandenburg Concertos?

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 2:42pm

John Zorn. Moonchild ensemble.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 3:51pm

Funny when those that claim to be so self-righteous and against racism and stereotypes etc revert to racial labels, its not the first time I've been referred to as Dutch here with negative connotations.

Technically my bloods half Dutch but I've never even been to Holland and don't really care too, doubt even with my half Dutch blood even if i moved there that id ever be seen as being Dutch.

The only Dutch language i know are maybe 50 words from Bahasa Indonesia that has adopted at least 3,000 plus Dutch words, apart from that the only Dutch foods etc i eat are ones in Indonesia also adopted during Dutch rule (few pastry type things i believe) okay i lied i like those specular biscuits and Dutch almond things that you can buy at the supermarket.

I do eat Indonesian almost everyday, speak okay Bahasa Indonesian spent a few years of my life there, have many Indonesia friends and family.

So maybe i will identify as Australian born Dutch Indonesian, seeing that what they do these days.

Anyway like i said Guy believe what you want to believe.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 5:32pm

I don't have to believe anything I just have to re-read your words above and other forum topics.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm

Yoga sure does clear the mind.