AFL racism

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Saturday, 25 May 2013 at 5:11pm

a player gets called an ape.....by a 13 yr old girl, youre fucking joking, an ape -what the fuck is this sook player going on about.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 12:28am
Sheepdog wrote:
In this crazy fucked existence, sypo, I don't know the answer to all of this... I can't speak for how different aboriginals think.... I can't speak for how different white people think.... I can only point out very interesting takes on it... Fuck man, sometimes I find myself questioning my own opinions.... I find my own hypocrisy/s as confusing as others.... Am I meant to be proud of my own heritage? Am I meant to be empathetic to minorities? Can I be both? Do I recognize the indigenous people as the rightful owners of this land? Do I therefore sell out on my own peoples explorative history dating back thousands of years? I am 1/2 german, with one side of my family coming here in the 1950s....... Does that mean that I am "1/2 sorry"? What did my german ancestors ever do to the aboriginals?.... Do I identify with my colonial past, or my german past?If I say "sorry", will the 1/2 apology be accepted? And if different aboriginals hold different views, which view should I back? Which should I give the thumbs down? If 2 aboriginal viewpoints are put across, will the winning viewpoint be the one that "white Australia" is most comfortable with?........... And what exactly is the "end game" in all of this????? The end game........ If I was to sit down with Noel pearson for example, I'd ask him; "If you could click your fingers, tell me in 50 words what would be the Australia that would make you happy, the Australia where all your issues have been solved"?........ What would end this?"
Do you think he could answer it? If yes, what would it be?[/quot
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 5:48pm

Cheers, barbs.....

Blowin..... "Just be nice to people.

No one has any more right to live anywhere on Earth than any one else"

I'll remember that next time you do a dance over "illegal boat people"........ ;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 8:00pm

Life's too short.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 6:55pm

Well, blowin, when i end the post with a " ;) ", it means I'm taking the piss outta ya'.... But by all means get your knickers in a knot, mate...

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 7:19pm

Go Adam!!!!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 8:13pm

noel pearson is a hardnut, i think the only that would make him smile is if we all left. again thankfully not all aboriginals feel the same way

thats not to say i don't like the guy

I'd like not to worry about it blowin but I've seen too much, and both sides of politics have a lot to answer for, but i especially dont like how the left currently present their arguments as though they've above reproach, often they can be contributing to the problems which is what dallas is on about

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 9:32pm
goofyfoot wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

In this crazy fucked existence, sypo, I don't know the answer to all of this... I can't speak for how different aboriginals think.... I can't speak for how different white people think.... I can only point out very interesting takes on it... Fuck man, sometimes I find myself questioning my own opinions.... I find my own hypocrisy/s as confusing as others.... Am I meant to be proud of my own heritage? Am I meant to be empathetic to minorities? Can I be both? Do I recognize the indigenous people as the rightful owners of this land? Do I therefore sell out on my own peoples explorative history dating back thousands of years? I am 1/2 german, with one side of my family coming here in the 1950s....... Does that mean that I am "1/2 sorry"? What did my german ancestors ever do to the aboriginals?.... Do I identify with my colonial past, or my german past?If I say "sorry", will the 1/2 apology be accepted? And if different aboriginals hold different views, which view should I back? Which should I give the thumbs down? If 2 aboriginal viewpoints are put across, will the winning viewpoint be the one that "white Australia" is most comfortable with?........... And what exactly is the "end game" in all of this????? The end game........ If I was to sit down with Noel pearson for example, I'd ask him; "If you could click your fingers, tell me in 50 words what would be the Australia that would make you happy, the Australia where all your issues have been solved"?........ What would end this?"
Do you think he could answer it? If yes, what would it be?

Time for a lie down Sheepy, and a good rest.
Nah just kidding mate, when Kevin Rudd said sorry to all indigenous people in oz On behalf of everyone, I wasn't sure what to think. Yeah, some of my early early early ancestors may have caused them trouble, but I've never been a racist to any black person in my life. Or harmed them, hurt them, or done anything to them! Should I be saying sorry?? I don't think so. For what? Like blowin said, be a good person, and worry about what you do and how it affects others. Going through this thread and noting times and dates and weather a comment indo d made would hold up in court... Life's to short for that stuff mate. Go for a surf

Gday, goofball.... maaaaaaate.... If sypo, myself, and a few others wanna really chew the fat in what i consider a damn interesting subject, we should be allowed to, right? If the water is a bit deep for you and blowin, just move on to the "egg surfboard thread", or perhaps start a new thread up about meat pies and toranas......
:p Cheers, goofy....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 12:26am
Sheepdog]
goofyfoot wrote:
[quote=Sheepdog
wrote:

Do you think he could answer it? If yes, what would it be?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 9:59pm

Did you know Torana is an Aboriginal word meaning 'to fly'?

Most people like the original GTR XU-1 but I tend to lean towards the A9X SLR-5000 hatch. A mint one in original black on white would be worth a fortune these days. Also, I loved the previous generation LH SLR 5000 L34. Not that many were made and really stood out in fluro green. But if I was really gong to go Aussie muscle car, I'd go original HK Monaro or '78 Falcon XC Cobra with the 5.8 (Bathurst special- only 30 were made).

I don't know the name of the place but the joint near the Ettamogah pub on the Sunny Coast did/does a pretty good pie from memory:)

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 10:43pm
zenagain wrote:

Did you know Torana is an Aboriginal word meaning 'to fly'?

Most people like the original GTR XU-1 but I tend to lean towards the A9X SLR-5000 hatch. A mint one in original black on white would be worth a fortune these days. Also, I loved the previous generation LH SLR 5000 L34. Not that many were made and really stood out in fluro green. But if I was really gong to go Aussie muscle car, I'd go original HK Monaro or '78 Falcon XC Cobra with the 5.8 (Bathurst special- only 30 were made).

I don't know the name of the place but the joint near the Ettamogah pub on the Sunny Coast did/does a pretty good pie from memory:)

Beefys

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 11:06pm

Beefys? Is that the name of the pie shop?

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Friday, 7 Aug 2015 at 11:22pm

It is, coincidentally also the nickname of another English cricketer who has tormented Australia. Seeing as we are on the subject of 'pomicide' ; )

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 12:05am

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 8:51am

Hey blowin, gona watch the last few overs?

https://m.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 1:09pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

Krist on a stick, we're now on this?? Racial classifications used and defined in law (in the 'bad old days') to determine how Aboriginal people were to be classified and treated by THE LAW?

Look up 'Half-Caste Act'. The 'Stolen Generations' is but one part of what that produced. (In)Sensitive term, ya reckon?

Australian history! What gets taught? Who teaches it? What is it even??

“…more of Australia’s history took place outside the law than within it, and more attempt was made to hide it than record it.”

Les Murray (perhaps Australia's pre-eminent poet, old contrarian rat-bag, and contributing editor to the right-wing Quadrant magazine)

https://newmatilda.com/2015/08/11/welfare-and-protection-boards-removed-...

“The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting” - Milan Kundera

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 10:02am
indo-dreaming wrote:

Scary enough i do have to agree with him after all before these incidents he was booed no more than any other player.

Personally i think its a cop out by people, media and AFL to label it racism, its much easier to do this than admit that his behaviour is the cause and deal with it in particularly the AFL who should have just pulled him aside quietly and said look off field do or say what you like but on field just play footy and forget politics or race etc.

IMO the AFL needs to draw a line and ban any celebration act after goals that are intended to incite the crowd, remembering that in 2013 Dustin Martin got fined for doing a jail house salute (signifying hand cuffs) and a coach fined for doing a throat cut motion, so why is signifying a spear thrown into the crowd okay?

Because it related to his culture? So we are going to treat people differently based on race?

Not that I often agree with anything KRudd has to say on racism but .............

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bullshit-kevin-...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 20 Jun 2019 at 10:34pm

This doco is coming to free-to-air on 10 soon. Keep an eye out.

https://amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/adam-goodes-documentary-has-raised-ple...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 20 Jun 2019 at 10:46pm

A worthy previous post from Atticus (!)

"To anyone who still believes this isn't race related, be wary of nailing your colours to the mast in public because this issue has EVERYTHING to do with race relations and Australia's past, and my observations show that this is slowly dawning on some people. In my social media network people are removing posts that expressed hastily conceived ideas. Kneejerk reactions. Same goes on Twitter.

This has the potential to be a touchstone issue in Australian history, think Rosa Parks on the bus or Muhammad Ali stripped of titles. Don't be on the wrong side of history.

And if for whatever reason you still resolutely believe it isn't race related, be mindful of how your public comments may be perceived in a few years time."

Some of those (now) previous posts are doozies.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 6:43am

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm

Is facty the same as shatners bassoon?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 9:08pm

Yes

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 9:08pm

Yes

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 21 Jul 2019 at 5:26pm

Just watched that Adams goode's docco.

As you can expect the film is basically about Adam getting booed, or really it's just a mish mash of media snippets from all sides of the media.

Unfortunately not one person from the crowd booing is asked why they are booing which might have actually provided some answers instead of assumptions from the media. (im sure there must be footage of people getting asked why?)

The few clear things that come from the docco looking back.

1. The 13 year old girl thing didn't look good, divided people, but the media made that incident worst, shouldn't have shown the girls face all over media etc.

I think the way the media dealt with this and blew it up made Adam look bad and divided people, this was no doubt the starting point, if it was a 16-18+ person no problem, would have been much different.

2. Eddie is just a complete dick head and made things worst for him with his King Kong comment, i mean you wouldn't say that shit at a BBQ let alone on radio.

Eddie just looks like goose through the whole docco.

surprisingly some others i was expecting to look real bad like Sam newman and Andrew bolt, actually dont come off that bad especially Andrew Bolt.

3. That should have been the end of it all.

4. But then Adam gets Australian of the year, after the above incident and controversy this was a weird decision, if he hadn't received this award and his comments about Australia day etc...would the booing have started?

5. The real booing seemed to start in 2014?...The docco never actually gives us a reason why this was the real starting point though?

Or even anyone else opinion on why things changed?

How could this important part of the story not even have opinions from the media?

6. War dance, IMHO it was his way of getting back at the crowd for booing as had had enough, sadly didn't help him at all and only ensured the boo's continued .

7. by then the damage is done and he hangs up his boots, and everyone who booed him is now a racist.

Yeah sure you do feel sorry for him, and i dont think he is to blame, i dont think the crowd is to blame either, or think they are racist.

The media...yeah well yep plenty of blame can be given there.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 24 Jul 2019 at 2:40pm

Summed up perfectly here