AFL racism

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Saturday, 25 May 2013 at 5:11pm

a player gets called an ape.....by a 13 yr old girl, youre fucking joking, an ape -what the fuck is this sook player going on about.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:47am

Maybe I'm just to naive to realise

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:54am

I don't want to think it either Goofyfoot, and I really don't think it's all the crowd, but it'd take industrial-strength naivety to think this issue doesn't have a racial element. Simply consider our history and racial record, then add to that the opportunity to hide among a collective and remain anonymous.

Know thyself? Know thy country.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:56am

At least you can say you're an optimist Goofy.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 11:01am

everyone (well almost) liked Goodes when he behaved in a way that didn't highlight his aboriginal background but as soon as he has done something to highlight that he is aboriginal he is vilified for it.

so, it appears to me that if a black person behaves like a white person we accept them as equals but if they behave 'like a black person' we boo them relentlessly but claim it isn't racism.

sounds like racism to me

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:06am
goofyfoot wrote:

Brutus I don't think he is booed because of his colour. If that was the case why isn't Rioli booed, or patty Ryder, or Shaun Burgoyne?
I think he's booed because he comes across as a bit of a flog on the footy field. Regardless of his colour

he's Australian of the year has been outspoken on aboriginal issues...he has used his position to highlight his peoples plight....its called tall poppy syndrome with a dose of racism...ya can't have any uppity blackfellas.......

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:11am

I thought sheep went BAA?!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:15am
indo-dreaming wrote:

I think there has to be one rule for all and sadly think its come to a stage where ON FIELD players can't do these controversial celebrations that intimate violence or bring up political or racial issues, even pointing out and embarrassing people in the crowd, imagine if every player did the same if they were called a name based on race, looks, weight, history etc no one wants to see it just play footy for gods sake and have your say off field on t

Im sure if a non Aboriginal player did the same dance he would be fined, or if he shot imaginary guns at the crowd, or even these days gave the crowd the finger….Dustin Martin got fined for doing the jail house salute while a few years earlier two Aboriginal players and even a non Aboriginal did it and got no fine.

The AFL screwed up they didn't nip this in the bud behind closed doors when they should have for one reason only because they don't have the balls because its race related and would fear a backlash.

Its easily solved one rule for everyone keep it off the field, celebrate a goal but doing incite the crowd, have your say off field on these issues but you still need to be prepared that not everyone will like or agree with what you say so you still need to be prepared to take flack like anyone else in the media spot light.

Me i would never boo i don't really even cheer, but all booing is is the opposite of cheering and people should have a right to do it to show their passion.

hmm a culture that is Australian and has existed for 40K years or more....how much do you know about Australian culture.......??

To try and compare Dustin Martins jailhouse salute to an indigenous tribal dance....ahhhh

there has been enough racism shown for Goodes not to play this weekend...as its affecting the rest of the team...Jetta did a war dance on the weekend and ...???

Tall poppy syndrome ...as I said elsewhere ...white Australia just doesn't like those uppity blackfellas!!!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:20am

Guys just so you understand what the so called spear dance was....

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam-goodess-war-dance...

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:22am

Gents, you are neglecting a couple of points. He is not influential as you may think in the area of aboriginal issues - just as Anthony Mundine is not. However, Warren Mundine is. So is Pearson. He is just passionate, a good forty player and loves stirring the crowd. You are not a racist if don't like him. Maybe he will get involved more when he moves on from footy.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:24am

Agree with Brutus on this one, case of tall poppy syndrome intertwined with racism, with a lot of sheep also involved booing just for the sake of it.

It's made enough impact for Adam to take some time off, and people still keep pushing the issue, very poor form.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:25am

tonybarber wrote:

Gents, you are neglecting a couple of points. He is not influential as you may think in the area of aboriginal issues - just as Anthony Mundine is not. However, Warren Mundine is. So is Pearson. He is just passionate, a good forty player and loves stirring the crowd. You are not a racist if don't like him. Maybe he will get involved more when he moves on from footy.

What positions do Warren Mundine and Noel Pearson play?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:40am

Black fella , White fella eh??????
Grow some fucking balls and move on, it's only a fucking game that is not even recognised world wide???

Racism just like religion is another meaningless debate.

I don't get it at all, especially when a born again Christian with a black fella background doesn't believe in dreamtime or the with the 60,000 year old black fellas belief..?

I love the spear dance, it's called Mana, so all you white fellas out there, take it on the chin as it's not international, only here in OZ where this game is so righteous.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:41am
brutus wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Brutus I don't think he is booed because of his colour. If that was the case why isn't Rioli booed, or patty Ryder, or Shaun Burgoyne?
I think he's booed because he comes across as a bit of a flog on the footy field. Regardless of his colour

he's Australian of the year has been outspoken on aboriginal issues...he has used his position to highlight his peoples plight....its called tall poppy syndrome with a dose of racism...ya can't have any uppity blackfellas.......

Ive come around to what your saying Brutus, Im not Aboriginal and ive never been racially abused, except for once in Mexico when an angry little man hissed at me "fucken grrringo" as I walked back from a surf, so I really have no idea what its like to live as you have. Enough of me commenting on this!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 11:14am

ABC online: Jason Akermanis....Goodes stop being a sook ...stop playing the victim !

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 11:12am
brutus wrote:

Well said.

And even if people think it's not racism, there is a guy on the field that is not coping with being booed relentlessly and has said as such, only to be booed more and more.
It is shameful, incessant bullying at best.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 11:23am

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/mother-of-teen-who-sledged-ada...

I almost spat my coffee on the keyboard when I read this line from the mother of the 13 yr old girl.

"I do think people shouldn't boo him at the football, they should be trying to encourage him to be a better person than what he is," Joanne said of the former Australian of the Year.

Then during this piece of gold, luckily I had no coffee in my mouth. Work out this logic and get back to me.

"She'd only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12. She had no idea what she was saying."

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 11:49am

studio 10 (yes im embarrassed) presented that line this morning lostdoggy, then the pretty white girls went on to say that Goodes should apologise for starting all this, geez thats a new take.

again we reduce an argument to racist v not racist when there is so much more going on. yeh there's those ugly racist booers, the tall poppy boooers, the opposite team boooers, the donr be a sook boooers, the dont challenge our culture boooers, and the mob mentality boooers, but we simplify the argument to yes/no thing to push our agendas.

i say good on goodes for stirring up the crowd, but dont cry too much when you get their backs up, what do you expect from a footy crowd? sam newman makes a fortune playing the intellectually challenged for all they're worth, so much so its uncomfortable to watch, he knows his crowd.

its racism, its tall poppy, its you talked out of line, its the low iq of the footy crowd, can we really expect more?

tall poppy syndrome isn't all bad, it keeps wankers in check...a good part of Australian culture

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 12:17pm

I'm ashamed to admit that the people that i know that are closest to being racist are the same people that are getting stuck into him on FB . The irony is , most of them have issues or had a hard time in life and can't see the parallels to Goodes issues .
They only see celebrity , or successful sports man in the public eye . They don't see the man that has endured this since well before he was 13 as a boy . He shouldn't take on the wrongs of the past in that stage , as this will not help his own fight . I'm all for him being passionate , he just needs to be wary that he's taunting a dumb audience . He needs to know that you can't cure stupid , and unfortunately you can't force them to stop breeding it . I hate to say it , but unfortunately its still legal to have
" Collingwood " family days ............... they only see things in black and white . The AFL should force them to wear grey or brown next time they play Sydney .
Untill then everyone else that wants to support Goodes right to expression , right to whinge , right to fight , should wear a White arm band to protest against the " sheep mentality " . Its pointless trying to shout down hecklas , a silent tribute is the best protest . But it has to come from the stands , not from the field .

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 12:23pm

thats what i wss trying ro say!

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 12:44pm

a couple of articles from the Herald Scum (as I like to refer to it). You may be surprised!

First one, back when the Collingwood incident with the young fan occurred (during indigenous round, no less!)...2013!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam-goodes-gutted-after-13-year-o...

The second one, now, and "the speech that turned fans against Goodes."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam-goodes-australian-of-the-year...

If the articles are blocked, just cut n paste the titles and google them. Monkey-wrench Murdoch's business plan.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 2:42pm

It doesn't work Shatsy ....

When googled , it takes your to the HS site but it says it can't find the article . cunning Murdoch .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 2:43pm
wellymon wrote:

Black fella , White fella eh??????
Grow some fucking balls and move on, it's only a fucking game that is not even recognised world wide???

Racism just like religion is another meaningless debate.

I don't get it at all, especially when a born again Christian with a black fella background doesn't believe in dreamtime or the with the 60,000 year old black fellas belief..?

I love the spear dance, it's called Mana, so all you white fellas out there, take it on the chin as it's not international, only here in OZ where this game is so righteous.

Racism is not just just a meaningless debate...it is a sad part of human culture.....not sure what you are on about me..but apathy is .........not an excuse..just a cop out!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 2:50pm
udo wrote:

ABC online: Jason Akermanis....Goodes stop being a sook ...stop playing the victim !

Have a read on the Age front page....Alan Jones...now Akermanis , probably one of the most hated AFL players of all time ..by his own team mates

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 2:54pm
southey wrote:

It doesn't work Shatsy ....

When googled , it takes your to the HS site but it says it can't find the article . cunning Murdoch .

It used to work, but now they've worked their way around it. Still works for the Australian articles.
The Age gives you 30 articles per month free, but it's as easy as going in to Private Browsing mode to get around that one.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 2:57pm
sypkan wrote:

studio 10 (yes im embarrassed) presented that line this morning lostdoggy, then the pretty white girls went on to say that Goodes should apologise for starting all this, geez thats a new take.

again we reduce an argument to racist v not racist when there is so much more going on. yeh there's those ugly racist booers, the tall poppy boooers, the opposite team boooers, the donr be a sook boooers, the dont challenge our culture boooers, and the mob mentality boooers, but we simplify the argument to yes/no thing to push our agendas.

i say good on goodes for stirring up the crowd, but dont cry too much when you get their backs up, what do you expect from a footy crowd? sam newman makes a fortune playing the intellectually challenged for all they're worth, so much so its uncomfortable to watch, he knows his crowd.

its racism, its tall poppy, its you talked out of line, its the low iq of the footy crowd, can we really expect more?

tall poppy syndrome isn't all bad, it keeps wankers in check...a good part of Australian culture

the low IQ of a footy crowd....called racist bogans.........keeping wankers in check by low IQ footy crowds.....is that what mainstream Australia is.....??

I am not sure if you have suffered racism...how would you feel if blackfellas started asking all the white people to go back to England as ya just a bunch of good for nuttin convicts....??? make ya feel a bit non Australian.....or would ya just say who are they to tell us what an Australian is??

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 3:00pm

Being of mixed heritage, it will be interesting see where Goodes goes from here. It would be fair to assume that he is also proud of his other heritage. Maybe this might lift him up to other notable and important aboriginals.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 3:11pm

maybe ask his Mum TB.....I really wonder about how much you and others understand about the pain that racism inflicts.....?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 3:28pm

Brutus … been there…and moved on. Heh, don't forget it was a footy game and by the way, I am proud of my mixed heritage. As mentioned he may have a chance to make a bit of difference as many elders have and are, lets see.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:06pm
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:20pm

indo.... You're saying Andrew Bolt has summed this up perfectly?? Andrew Bolt???

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:34pm
brutus wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

I think there has to be one rule for all and sadly think its come to a stage where ON FIELD players can't do these controversial celebrations that intimate violence or bring up political or racial issues, even pointing out and embarrassing people in the crowd, imagine if every player did the same if they were called a name based on race, looks, weight, history etc no one wants to see it just play footy for gods sake and have your say off field on t

Im sure if a non Aboriginal player did the same dance he would be fined, or if he shot imaginary guns at the crowd, or even these days gave the crowd the finger….Dustin Martin got fined for doing the jail house salute while a few years earlier two Aboriginal players and even a non Aboriginal did it and got no fine.

The AFL screwed up they didn't nip this in the bud behind closed doors when they should have for one reason only because they don't have the balls because its race related and would fear a backlash.

Its easily solved one rule for everyone keep it off the field, celebrate a goal but doing incite the crowd, have your say off field on these issues but you still need to be prepared that not everyone will like or agree with what you say so you still need to be prepared to take flack like anyone else in the media spot light.

Me i would never boo i don't really even cheer, but all booing is is the opposite of cheering and people should have a right to do it to show their passion.

hmm a culture that is Australian and has existed for 40K years or more....how much do you know about Australian culture.......??

To try and compare Dustin Martins jailhouse salute to an indigenous tribal dance....ahhhh

there has been enough racism shown for Goodes not to play this weekend...as its affecting the rest of the team...Jetta did a war dance on the weekend and ...???

Tall poppy syndrome ...as I said elsewhere ...white Australia just doesn't like those uppity blackfellas!!!

Sorry Brutus whatever your point is I'm totally missing it.

You seem just like Adam in that you want to create division and pigeon hole people based on race and have separate rules based on race, your type of attitude is part of the problem and does not help heal old wounds and help us move forward.

Personally i was disappointed with Jetta's actions I'm not a swans fan but have always been a fan of Jetta as i am of many Aboriginal players..I think it was a real bad move and if other Aboriginal players copy this all it is going to do is create division and set attitudes back twenty years.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:23pm
Sheepdog wrote:

indo.... You're saying Andrew Bolt has summed this up perfectly?? Andrew Bolt???

Yes strangely enough, this time has hit the nail right on the head.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:34pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

I.D., as far as I'm concerned there still needs to be a lot of discussion and a lot of airing of dirty linen before Australia as a whole is ready to just move on.
From what I've seen, racism in this country goes very deep.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:50pm
AndyM wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

I.D., as far as I'm concerned there still needs to be a lot of discussion and a lot of airing of dirty linen before Australia as a whole is ready to just move on.
From what I've seen, racism in this country goes very deep.

As it does in many other countries throughout the world, so Australia is not alone and by far not the worst.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm

indo, when I got to Bolts line - " his public humiliation of a teary 13-year-old girl as the “face of racism”.", I stopped reading...... Bolt and his minions milked that situation back when it happened.... cha ching.... For over a week, the media front paged that girl, interviewed the family, a current affair, every opinionated dj, all in the name of ratings and the mighty dollar..... Goodes was playing football, high intensity... He is near the fence and hears someone yell "you fucking ape".... Do you think in that millisecond he looked at her and thought, "oh she's just turned 13", she doesn't know what she's doing"? I don't think so..... I saw the incident.... Live..... She didn't look 13.... She looked more like 15 or 16.... But that is beside the point.... Where on earth did she get that attitude from? Where on earth did she get such a feral mouth?
So....... when I read the oooohhhh heart string pulling "public humiliation of a teary 13-year-old girl ", I simply clicked out...... Trash writing from a trash man......

The only good thing on Bolt today was a link to a very interesting blog from a respected aboriginal elder and writer.... The letter shows how convoluted this subject is, and that NONE OF US have the answer;

Letter from Dallas Scott ( picture on Insight)

"
The jeering was loud. Almost deafening in its unison - as hundreds of voices simultaneously uttered a long, slow “Boooooo” at the defiant man who stood before them from his position of power and privilege. The crowd refused to be silenced, their eyes fixed on him in an angry glare that reinforced the hatred coming from their mouths, the mocking tone of their cries reaching a crescendo that seemed to confuse their target, before his trusted advisor could intervene.

“They’re not saying ‘Boo’, they’re saying “Boo-urns”.

Just as Wayland Smithers protected Montgomery Burns in The Simpsons, sections of our media, together with the hierarchy of the unnecessary at the AFL, are now lying to protect Adam Goodes in much the same way. “They’re not booing you Adam, they’re just displaying their deep seated racism the only way they can”, or in Smithers-speak, “They’re not saying Boo, they’re saying “Boo-oong!”

Of course, we have the regular roster of apologists come out, shaming the country and our society for cutting down a sports star who happens to have Aboriginal blood as part of his racial make-up. The caring, informed and sensitive city dwellers who, despite their alabaster skin tone and lack of racial diversity, can not only see, smell and hear racism, but tragically, are so deeply affected by it that they feel they must differentiate themselves from the white person next to them by pointing at them and screaming racist long enough and loud enough that somehow, somewhere in the midst of all their righteous shouting, their own skin tone will be forgotten or ignored.

One thing I’ve come to understand about our society is that often, those who see themselves as the most tolerant, educated and enlightened are usually most racist, close-minded of all. These types were the first to pick up their keyboard or a microphone and declare that speaking negatively about the so-called ‘war dance’ effort from Adam Goodes over the weekend means that we are culturally ignorant, yet in making such a claim, have themselves ignored an entire segment of the Aboriginal community, who are appalled at the ‘performance’. In wanting us to be a homogenous community capable of only thinking and feeling one way, therefore enabling them to have the correct information and be ‘right’, they are guilty of the same crime they are continually accusing an entire nation of – RACISM.

The fact is, some Aboriginal people, myself included, saw that embarrassing display and did not feel pride. Instead, we felt shame, and a sense of sadness and loss. Some of this stems from seeing yet more of our traditions mocked and traded upon, invented and earning overnight acclaim, for little more than cheap thrills while the long standing traditions are ignored, left to die quietly and uncelebrated until they are forgotten and lost forever. Some of this comes from the fact we're tired of the theatrics, and how his need for attention will play out for the rest of us, and creep a little into our own lives. For an urban blackfella like me, I hate the fact that all of a sudden my opinion is relevant. I haven’t written a blog post in almost a year, or bothered to watch free to air television in even longer, yet received two messages on my phone today – one from SBS and the other from 2GB, wanting to know what I think about the whole Goodes drama and depending on what I think, whether they want to hear from me. They aren’t the only ones. Friends, acquaintances and even the random guy standing next to me in line at the supermarket suddenly wants to hear what I have to say, but only on this one topic, just for now. The easiest way to get rid of them is to gauge their personal feelings, then just agree with them. If someone is genuinely looking for a discussion, they are easy to tell, but most people just want me to be the token black who validates their own feelings on the matter.

Views like mine, that are contrary to the representations being made by the rabid, name-calling media, are ignored or rejected by all those who simply want to brand every incident or comment with an ‘ism’, because the object of their outrage is never to stimulate an educated debate or a discussion, but rather they wish to simply stand on their given podium and recite their narcissistic lecture, a pointless exercise for them to reinforce their followers that they alone are a bastion of cultural relevance, understanding and compassion. Sadly, theses ‘enlightened’ folks also tend to take their cues on history from the most removed people of a culture, merely because they tend to occupy the cubicle or apartment next to them, or speak with the most authoritarian voice or sense of victimhood – a sure sign that they must know what they are on about, according to our current high standards of journalism in this country – instead of seeking the truth and looking for those with knowledge that comes from a life of lived tradition, rather than being well removed from it.

I used to dance as a kid. Most of the kids who grew up in our house did it, but I have no intention of my own children doing the same. My reluctance has nothing to do with them being of mixed heritage though, and everything to do with cultural appropriation. I said I used to ‘dance’ as a kid, because that is really all it was. I was dressed in a lap-lap and painted up, was taught the moves the rest of the kids were doing, but it was all just a show. The dances were not ones passed on to us from our Elders, performed for a specific reason or during a time of unique and special celebration that led me to understand my culture in a meaningful way, but rather a collection of dance moves put together by a choreographer who may or may not have had a distant Aboriginal ancestor she found out about in her mid-thirties. A few documentaries and books from the library later, she had all the cultural awareness she felt she needed, and as a bunch of children not yet trusted with much knowledge, we didn’t know any better. We danced for smiling crowds of educated, enlightened people who clapped politely while murmuring “Oh, how cultural”, as they watched us enraptured. I would smile back at them and dance harder, oblivious to what I was doing and simply happy to receive positive praise and attention from a crowd of people I didn’t even know. But I was no better than a performing monkey to them, and for all their education and compassion, those crowds were the most racist people of all. Their wisdom and understanding of Aboriginal people and culture was a passing fetish, and in an effort to appease them, I was walking all over my own culture for their amusement, all of us completely ignorant to this heartbreaking fact.

After becoming a man, I learned better. I learned that our chants, and our dances are sacred. They are powerful and special secrets, not entertainment for the masses or political statements designed to make sure you get yet another mention in the nightly news. I also took it to heart that the title of ‘Warrior’ is like respect. It is always earned, not merely given because of the colour of your skin or your heritage. I am proud to say that some of my own ancestors include great Warriors - men who fought and died to protect their families and their way of life, and faced enormous battles that I could never fully comprehend from where I sit today, in a relative position of privilege by comparison, however you look at the statistics and facts. It would make a mockery of the suffering and heroism of my ancestors to assign a title of great reverence and historical significance, such as ‘Warrior’, to a person whose fame and heroism is derived from little more than the ability to show up a few weekends a year and kick a leather ball around an overly groomed piece of paddock.

As Adam walks out for his next game, before making his way onto that perfectly manicured stadium lawn, I suggest he take a deep, slow breath and reflect upon the reality of his life. Rather than having to emerge from the sheds for the ‘coloured people’, kept separate from the white folks playing beside him, he will run out after being supported by his entire team, not kept to the back. When he is thirsty, he doesn’t have to take a drink at the appropriately labelled drinking fountain, set aside for only folks with his racial identity, but rather will be served like a prince, with a special servant whose only job is to provide refreshments for the thirsty players, regardless of their skin colour or heritage. As he drives his brand new sports car to training, where he looks around at the other players arriving in their equally expensive vehicles and stops to realise he is paid just as much as them, if not more, he should perhaps pause a moment and wonder about whether he is fighting a war that has already been won, and instead of complaining from his position at the top, realise how those on the bottom rungs might be sick of hearing him whinging and would much rather he just got on with life. "

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 5:07pm
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 5:12pm

...and a famous piece by Peggy McIntosh: White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.

Required reading.

http://amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 5:13pm

And shats, I therefore rest my case..... Even aborginals, and "halfcast" aboriginals are divided on this.... No one is right.... No one can claim to be right..... Convolution to the max.....

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 5:49pm

Adam Goodes used to not be booed and was a revered indigenous AFL star. Then after a string of events Adam Goodes became Australian of the year made his speech and the rest is history.
Seems like the football public like our indigenous stars to be good little footy players and not make us uncomfortable by saying it how it is.

As a white Australian I applaud Goodesy for having the conviction to speak from his heart. Others it seems are booing him because he makes them uncomfortable I mean how dare he speak up about the recognition of this nations original inhabitants and how Australia day recognises Australia's colonial history but does not formally it's first nation people in the constitution.

That is without him mentioning stolen generations and indigenous genocide. History will show Goodesy in a favourable light I hope he goes harder and brings pride to his people.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 6:01pm

Spot on Wharfey, and this guy sums it up perfectly..

grug's picture
grug's picture
grug Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 6:04pm

You're right sheepy. There are no answers to be found that everyone will agree upon. But, Stan Grant's piece... i honestly don't think a whole lot more needs to be said. Everyone should read that and just open their minds and humanity in order to accept that reality, shared by so many other Indigenous Australians. It's matter of acceptance and sensitivity. Nothing has been healed in this country. Australia continues to refuse to accept the reality of its history. Until that happens in a mature and genuine way, our national identity is an immature sham. Unfortunately, the complex social, political, cultural and financial realities of both Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australia make such a shift almost impossible. The majority of Australians just don't give a shit... doesn't affect them so they don't want to know. Make no mistake, at the current rate of denial, ignorance and oppression, Indigenous Australian ideals, beliefs and culture will one day be nothing more than historical artefacts exploited by the Australian tourism industry. People like Adam Goodes, that fight for their history, culture and beliefs should be applauded as they are forcing these conversations to be had and at the very least providing an opportunity for otherwise small, lazy and ignorant minds to experience a revelation or two.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 6:08pm
stunet wrote:

Guess it all depends on context, doesn't it?

What context makes that ok I wonder Stu? Ignorance isnt an excuse IMO if that's what your suggesting.

UDO, not sure what race you are but its always fascinating when white people tell black people what is and what isn't racist. Walk a mile in my shoes as the saying goes.....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 6:13pm

Rabbits68 wrote:
stunet wrote:

Guess it all depends on context, doesn't it?

What context makes that ok I wonder Stu? Ignorance isnt an excuse IMO if that's what your suggesting.

Context being that calling someone an 'ape' isn't the same as calling them a 'gorilla' or an 'orangutan'; the context is that ape is a term with distinct historical connotations.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 6:14pm

Rabbits68 wrote:

...its always fascinating when white people tell black people what is and what isn't racist. Walk a mile in my shoes as the saying goes.....

Agree 100%

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 6:55pm
tonybarber wrote:

Being of mixed heritage, it will be interesting see where Goodes goes from here. It would be fair to assume that he is also proud of his other heritage. Maybe this might lift him up to other notable and important aboriginals.

You being a bit too cute here Tony? The Andrew Bolt line is it or am I just misunderstanding what you really mean?

Better explain yourself pal; this mixed heritage stuff is trending a very line.

I'll not say more but I want a explanation on precisely what you mean here ...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 7:22pm

Just reposting part of aboriginal writer, Dalls Scott's letter above, re how some aboriginals found Goode's war dance insultiing;

"One thing I’ve come to understand about our society is that often, those who see themselves as the most tolerant, educated and enlightened are usually most racist, close-minded of all. These types were the first to pick up their keyboard or a microphone and declare that speaking negatively about the so-called ‘war dance’ effort from Adam Goodes over the weekend means that we are culturally ignorant, yet in making such a claim, have themselves ignored an entire segment of the Aboriginal community, who are appalled at the ‘performance’. In wanting us to be a homogenous community capable of only thinking and feeling one way, therefore enabling them to have the correct information and be ‘right’, they are guilty of the same crime they are continually accusing an entire nation of – RACISM.

The fact is, some Aboriginal people, myself included, saw that embarrassing display and did not feel pride. Instead, we felt shame, and a sense of sadness and loss. Some of this stems from seeing yet more of our traditions mocked and traded upon, invented and earning overnight acclaim, for little more than cheap thrills while the long standing traditions are ignored, left to die quietly and uncelebrated until they are forgotten and lost forever."

So...... not all aboriginal people are in favour of cheapening their culture ( in their eyes)

But let's just recap on the main points of why the booing started in the first place..... let's just draw a breath......

1 - 2013...Goodes is called an ape by a spectator.... He protests...... Spectator ends up being a 13yo girl... She is not charged, apologizes..... Media have a field day...... cha ching.....
Right wing conservative News L, led by attack dog Andrew Bolt, start rubbing 2 sticks....
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/commen...

2. Eddie Maguire slurs Goodes with a "king kong" comment..... news L, led by neocon Andrew Bolt, starts to get some embers.....
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/end-this-disgrace-and-get-on-wi...

3. - 2014 Goodes awarded Australian of the year.... After the "spectator incident", some right wing commentators aren't thrilled with him winning, and criticise his acceptance speech.. here is his speech.... I personally quite like his speech....

News L, led by the very white Andrew Bolt, starts to get some flames from those 2 sticks...

3 - later in 2014..... Goodes pens an article and movie review ("Utopia") in Fairfax press.... It is quite confronting... I find it confronting... It is political, and probably doesn't match with his acceptance speech..... But one has to take into context he was plugging and critiquing Pilgers movie....
Here is the article; march 5 2014
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/hostility-to-john-pilgers-film-a-denial-of...

When Fairfax released the article, the conservative News L, led by hit man Andrew Bolt, and the likes of Alan Jones, did a nanna.... They went straight for the jugular... They were relentless....
March 4 2014 Andrew Bolt;

March 5 2014 - Andrew Bolt;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/adam-goodes-lecture-lets-us-all...

It is now a fire..... The boos start..... And some in the press (guess who lol) continue to fan the flames...

Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 7:52pm

?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 7:36pm

BTW, re' the "fire starting" in march 2014 via the press, mainly News L in Melbourne via Andrew Bolt;
2 links showing the booing started May 2014-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-20/bombers-fan-loses-membership-over-...

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/08/26/booing-adam-goodes-poor-look-afl/

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 7:43pm
Eugene Green wrote:

It would be great to see a 100% indigenous team in the AFL. Just a dream. Goodsy as captain. Premiership flag in their second year I reckon! That'd shut up the plebs.

Yes it would be an amazing team although i think it would be a contradiction of what its trying to achieve, not much different to having a team where you had to have an Anglo-Saxon heritage.

Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 7:51pm

Yeah, you're right. Sorry. Just dreaming Indo Dreaming.