Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 28 Nov 2022 at 7:23pm
Supafreak wrote:

No doubt about the old ( 55 ) beetroot, he can sleep anywhere, doesn’t matter if lying down or standing up . 6800-FBF3-3-F23-4703-9-CFE-D50653-D0-EB1-B

Looks like he’s been in a good paddock, such a fit , healthy looking specimen. Probably just had his regular long lunch on all of us, again. Looks like 65 not 55. AW.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 28 Nov 2022 at 7:29pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

No doubt about the old ( 55 ) beetroot, he can sleep anywhere, doesn’t matter if lying down or standing up . 6800-FBF3-3-F23-4703-9-CFE-D50653-D0-EB1-B

Looks like he’s been in a good paddock, such a fit , healthy looking specimen. Probably just had his regular long lunch on all of us, again. Looks like 65 not 55. AW.

Liver would be working 24/7 processing all that free grog , he’s not worried about ICAC , probably realises he’s not going to be around .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 28 Nov 2022 at 7:48pm
Supafreak wrote:

No doubt about the old ( 55 ) beetroot, he can sleep anywhere, doesn’t matter if lying down or standing up . 6800-FBF3-3-F23-4703-9-CFE-D50653-D0-EB1-B

I don't think he is a really happy person.
Poor fella.....

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 28 Nov 2022 at 11:41pm

Here’s a new one.
Covid saved Scomo.
https://apple.news/AihNdo4UGSDWA1raxD3Uc-g
One CUintheNT’s opinion of another CUintheNT

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 29 Nov 2022 at 8:43am
Supafreak wrote:

No doubt about the old ( 55 ) beetroot, he can sleep anywhere, doesn’t matter if lying down or standing up . 6800-FBF3-3-F23-4703-9-CFE-D50653-D0-EB1-B

He’s only 55? Fuck he’s sporting more than a few lifestyle injuries for his age if he is.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 29 Nov 2022 at 4:32pm

This is interesting as in 2013 scomo was the new immigration and border protection minister , what will be revealed in court ? maybe nothing but it just isn’t getting any better for the former minister for everything . Meanwhile, why is it taking so long for the findings in Glady’s case to be released ? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-29/daryl-maguire-charged-over-allege...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 7:42am

https://www.hudson.org/china-center/board-advisors ……. Nothing honourable about this parasite on the Australian taxpayer, what does he actually do besides warm the backbench seat ?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 8:31am
Supafreak wrote:

https://twitter.com/piersmitchem/status/1597477270322835457?s=46&t=5yNgA... https://www.hudson.org/china-center/board-advisors ……. Nothing honourable about this parasite on the Australian taxpayer, what does he actually do besides warm the backbench seat ?

Fooked up! ICAC you would think will have to nail him with something with his track record or Robodebt....

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 9:44am

Absolute classic, thanks for pointing that out Supa.

Of course Morrison and the Hudson Institute's China Centre is a match made in heaven. Dutton should also head over asap before he misses out on all the China-bashing fun.

Even just a superficial scan of the Hudson Institute's homepage reveals their stance towards China. My favourite article is How to Engage and Prevail in Political Warfare against China.

Do I recall correctly people previously arguing in these forums that the US is somehow not currently engaged in political-economic-information-etc warfare against China? (Anyone following what's happening with the chips act?)

Anyway, everything makes sense now after finishing reading The Shock Doctrine this week. When I think about all the anti-China ideas and beliefs being kept alive in the collective Western consciousness, I can't seem to prevent this paragraph from the book being repeated in my head over and over again:

It was in 1982 that Milton Friedman wrote the highly influential passage that best summarizes the shock doctrine: "Only a crisis - actual or perceived - produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable." It was to become a kind of mantra for his movement in the new democratic era. Allan Meltzer elaborated on the philosophy: "Ideas are al­ternatives waiting on a crisis to serve as the catalyst of change. Friedman's model of influence was to legitimize ideas, to make them bearable, and worth trying when the opportunity comes.

Something like a Taiwan crisis - say China invading Taiwan - would come in handy right about now. (Actually, best to wait until the US has siphoned all of TSMC's semiconductor technology onto US soil before using the funky little island as a pawn in a major military war..?)

Putin got easily duped by the West into invading Ukraine, simply by speculation of Ukraine joining nato.

But I'm not so sure that Xi is as emotional and reckless at Putin. The US is definitely testing the waters on this one though.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 10:24am

True.
Great stuff gsco

We are still the good guys tho ;)

‘only when a mosquito lands on your testicles will you realise that violence is not always the answer’ - lao tzu

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 1:23pm
gsco wrote:

Anyway, everything makes sense now after finishing reading The Shock Doctrine this week.

History wasn't one of my strengths at school so didn't take much notice what went on in South America back in the 70's and 80's, but after reading The Shock Doctrine you get a glimpse of how truly terrifying US policy and corporations can be in their quest to fill their coffers. And they are still at it today. Terrorising populations isn't all about flying planes into building as Uncle Sam knows all too well.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 1:35pm

And thanks for originally recommending it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 5:50pm

Albo speaking on what he’s done about Julian Assange . Go to 49.10 minute mark https://parlview.aph.gov.au/mediaPlayer.php?videoID=597513&operation_mod...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 7:45pm
Supafreak wrote:

Albo speaking on what he’s done about Julian Assange . Go to 49.10 minute mark https://parlview.aph.gov.au/mediaPlayer.php?videoID=597513&operation_mod...

Jeez you’re keen Supa, how much time do you dedicate to following politics?

Regarding the video, it sounds like one big nothing. It’s all fluff?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 8:01pm
flollo wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Albo speaking on what he’s done about Julian Assange . Go to 49.10 minute mark https://parlview.aph.gov.au/mediaPlayer.php?videoID=597513&operation_mod...

Jeez you’re keen Supa, how much time do you dedicate to following politics?

Regarding the video, it sounds like one big nothing. It’s all fluff?

Is that your interpretation of what he’s done ? Fair enough, other news reports see it differently though . I probably spend as much time on politics as you spend on house prices and economics . Surfed for 3 hours today , how about you ?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 8:33pm
flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 9:04pm

Fair enough. I guess I’m part of the environment where people provide a direct answer to a direct question.

Q: What are you doing about Assange?
A: I’m lobbying the US government to drop the charges.

And that’s it. No need for all this other sweet talk. That 5h video should really be 1.5h - 2h. Terrible use of taxpayer resources.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 9:32pm

What’s your direct question ? 5 hr video? It’s a taping of parliament question time , are you on the turps ? If your direct question is how much time do I spend on politics the answer is it varies, today about 1 1/2 hours as it was a very significant day in politics. I don’t watch soccer , I find it and most sports boring to watch but I do love playing sports.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 9:36pm

What are you on about? I’m talking about the questions being asked in the parliament. Albo was asked a question about Assange by another MP. And he provided an answer that by my estimate was unnecessarily long and unclear about the specific actions that are being taken. If you multiply this pointless rhetoric across many questions and answers in the parliament you end up creating a pretty lengthy and inefficient process. That’s all I’m saying.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 9:44pm

Albo always ums and errs and fumbles his answers, have you only just noticed ? He is however the only prime minister to address the Assange situation personally.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022 at 11:45pm

From the Hudson Institute paper gsco linked:

"Setting key grand narratives is properly a whole-of-government activity that should be agreed to at the highest levels. Once that is done, there needs to be a devolution of tactical authority to dedicated political warfare teams within relevant agencies and to dedicated teams on the ground in high-priority countries."

"Words have strategic and military ramifications and are weapons in this type of warfare. In this context, political warfare shares many characteristics with traditional warfare."

The geopolitical catchphrases and news we hear are far more purposeful and carefully crafted than we may realise.

Our leaders are also very much in the thick of the narrative war - willing or maybe not so much. They are targets and conduits.

Going against the flow would be tough.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 7:34am

In addition to being an adviser to the Hudson Institute, Scott Morrison has apparently rebranded himself as a "virtuous globalisation mastermind" on the speaking circuit (where the real dollars are made for ex dear leaders if you played the right game).

".... Morrison lends his boundless influence and experience to audiences around the world.”

I expect the censure motion for secret Ministries may boost his speaking fees among some audiences. Some will see him as clearly a man of action, a leader prepared to grab all the levers of power with both hands. A role model for globalists. And to think we just called him Scommo and voted him out of power. Such disrespect for the mastermind.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 11:13am

Random interjection - will politics ever be free of bullshitting.

And another one

Politicians knowingly fucking up illegally and just simply having to say sorry and move on to their next well paying cushy job whereas common folk are put in the slammer?

I’m disillusioned with it all but convince me otherwise.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 11:57am
Nick Bone wrote:

Random interjection - will politics ever be free of bullshitting.

And another one

Politicians knowingly fucking up illegally and just simply having to say sorry and move on to their next well paying cushy job whereas common folk are put in the slammer?

I’m disillusioned with it all but convince me otherwise.

Hopefully he will be referred to Privileges Commitee as being pushed by Brandt. Unlikely I guess. He still will have to appear for Robodebt RC and sure something will come up with ICAC. His mate brother Stuey in news for suss behaviour again. Sure Scotty has skeletons hiding somewhere.
But yep he'll probably get off Scott free and make lots of $$$ on right wing nutters speaking circuit.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 11:59am

Was referring to Scomo last post. Hopefully ICAC starts to address your concerns.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 1:49pm

Have you ever heard a politician continuously blatantly lie ? I give you the honourable liar from the shire .

Classic comments as always

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 8:50pm

Sexual assault charge against Bruce Lehrmann expected to be dropped https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/sexual-assault-charg...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 1 Dec 2022 at 9:17pm
Supafreak wrote:

Sexual assault charge against Bruce Lehrmann expected to be dropped https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/sexual-assault-charg...

A sad indictment on our legal system.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 7:42am
Supafreak wrote:

Sexual assault charge against Bruce Lehrmann expected to be dropped https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/sexual-assault-charg...

Poor lady.
Horrible situation.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 10:38am

From Guardian
""Two independent medical experts say ongoing trauma of prosecution presents unacceptable risk to Higgins: Drumgold
Prosecutors have dropped charges against Bruce Lehrmann for the alleged rape of Brittany Higgins.

This is what the ACT director of public prosecutions Shane Drumgold had to say speaking from Canberra:

I closely considered the reasonable prospect to conviction test when I first examined the brief of evidence in the week of 21 June 2021 and I formed a clear view that there was a reasonable prospect of conviction and this is a view that I still hold today.

The non-exhaustive list of public interest tests, include section 2.9 paragraph being the actual or potential harm occasioned to any person as a result of the alleged offence which in this context includes the actual or potential harm occasioned by the ongoing prosecution of an alleged offence.

In short, I need to consider the harm that could be occasioned to a party, particularly a complainant from an ongoing prosecution. I have recently received compelling evidence from two independent medical experts that the ongoing trauma associated with this prosecution presents a significant and unacceptable risk to the life of the complainant.

The evidence makes it clear that this is not limited to the harm of giving evidence in a witness box, rather applies whether or not the complainant is required to enter a witness box during a retrial. Whilst the pursuit of justice is essential for both my office and for the community in general, the safety of a complainant in a sexual assault matter must be paramount.

In light of the compelling independent medical opinion and balancing all factors, I have made the difficult decision that it is no longer in the public interest to pursue a prosecution at the risk of the complainant’s life. This has left me no option but to file a notice declining to proceed with the retrial of this matter which I have done this morning. This brings the prosecution to an end. Before concluding, during the investigation and trial as a sexual assault complainant, Ms Higgins has faced a level of personal attack that I have not seen in over 20 years of doing this work. She has done so with bravery, grace and dignity and it is my hope that this will now stop and Ms Higgins will be allowed to heal.""

Now the young lady is in hospital and the accused will seem not to have another day in court.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 10:55am

I'm not understanding this. To be honest, I didn't follow this at all but what I'm reading here is really upsetting. Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist? What kind of a court case is this? If he's a suspect in criminal behavior shouldn't he be prosecuted by the state because he's a potential danger to society? Otherwise, they are just allowing all the other criminals to terrorise their victims to the point of the mental breakdown so they can't be prosecuted. What do they need to do to get a conviction, kill a person?

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Is this really how things work?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:03am
flollo wrote:

I'm not understanding this. To be honest, I didn't follow this at all but what I'm reading here is really upsetting. Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist? What kind of a court case is this? If he's a suspect in criminal behavior shouldn't he be prosecuted by the state because he's a potential danger to society? Otherwise, they are just allowing all the other criminals to terrorise their victims to the point of the mental breakdown so they can't be prosecuted. What do they need to do to get a conviction, kill a person?

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Is this really how things work?

I'm in same boat as you @flollo. How will she feel if an alleged rapist is free without having a trial. I cannot see that helping her mental health in long term. Christain Porter also an alleged rapist avoided his day in court due to his accuser committing suicide. The whole thing stinks, guilty or not there should be a re-trial somehow where they could use the evidence she previously gave. Another thing, she was cross examined in court over every detail of the alleged incident whereas the accused can opt out of this interrogation by the prosecutor.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:17am

The problem lies in how cases like these are tried. The defense go into full attack mode - the complainant suddenly is "on trial". The defendant deserves a fair hearing but these things often seem to descend into a form of shaming of the alleged victim. Poor form by the barrister involved.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:19am
flollo wrote:

I'm not understanding this. To be honest, I didn't follow this at all but what I'm reading here is really upsetting. Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist? What kind of a court case is this? If he's a suspect in criminal behavior shouldn't he be prosecuted by the state because he's a potential danger to society? Otherwise, they are just allowing all the other criminals to terrorise their victims to the point of the mental breakdown so they can't be prosecuted. What do they need to do to get a conviction, kill a person?

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Is this really how things work?

Not only that flollo, but also;

"The first trial heard from 29 witnesses over almost three weeks, and the jury took another week for deliberations. It was abandoned after a juror brought in outside research papers on sexual assault.
The chance discovery of one research paper led ACT chief justice Lucy McCallum to declare a mistrial. She had repeatedly told jurors not to bring in outside research.

The first research paper discovered by sheriff’s officers attempted to quantify the prevalence of false complaints of sexual assault. It also included an analysis of the reasons for false complaints and why some are sceptical of true complaints. McCallum said the paper could have been used to influence jurors either way in the case."
and;

"A retrial had been planned for February. The ACT typically uses video recordings of a complainant’s first evidence and cross-examination in any retrial. But it had emerged that a legal loophole prevented that in the Lehrmann case, because Higgins had given evidence in-person, and not by remote video link."

Not much justice but a lot of law...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:24am

I think despite his public admissions, as the trial progressed, Drumgold knew he wasn't going to secure a conviction. Higgins was a less than stellar witness and Lehrman unfortunately was not compelled to give evidence himself or face cross examination.

No winners here, Brittany will be ok, she has a nation of support behind her. Bruce is fucked- tried and convicted by media before he even set foot in court. The bloke is a dead man walking either way.

Edit: I‘m not supporting him, if he is as was charged, the grub should be locked up, but I am very much in support of being fairly tried and not convicted in the court of public opinion.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:31am

Yeah, what a mess, distressing on all accounts.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:32am
zenagain wrote:

I think despite his public admissions, as the trial progressed, Drumgold knew he wasn't going to secure a conviction. Higgins was a less than stellar witness and Lehrman unfortunately was not compelled to give evidence himself or face cross examination.

No winners here, Brittany will be ok, she has a nation of support behind her. Bruce is fucked- tried and convicted by media before he even set foot in court. The bloke is a dead man walking either way.

Edit: I‘m not supporting him, if he is as was charged, the grub should be locked up, but I am very much in support of being fairly tried and not convicted in the court of public opinion.

"I closely considered the reasonable prospect to conviction test when I first examined the brief of evidence in the week of 21 June 2021 and I formed a clear view that there was a reasonable prospect of conviction and this is a view that I still hold today." quote Shane Drumgold.

I agree with you Zen re fair trial and did not really follow it too closely at the time, but it seems Drumgold was of view there may have been a conviction, the guy may be innocent, don't know. However, you would think that our legal system would have some process for a re-trial in a case such as this.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:34am

It's a mess.

The problem is, in a no witness he said-she said rape trial there will always be a problem getting enough evidence for a "beyond reasonable doubt" conclusion by a jury.

So guilty people will escape conviction.

Hope she can heal up in the long term.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:54am
flollo wrote:

I'm not understanding this. To be honest, I didn't follow this at all but what I'm reading here is really upsetting. Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist? What kind of a court case is this? If he's a suspect in criminal behavior shouldn't he be prosecuted by the state because he's a potential danger to society? Otherwise, they are just allowing all the other criminals to terrorise their victims to the point of the mental breakdown so they can't be prosecuted. What do they need to do to get a conviction, kill a person?

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Is this really how things work?

“Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist?”

Because she is suffering they will not proceed to trial of a suspected rapist. (He is a suspect because he has been charged).
A suspect can’t be prosecuted. Is my understanding.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 11:56am

Agree Zen,
If he’s guilty then it’s fucked that he will walk free.
But if he’s innocent, have to feel sorry for the guy. His career and life is basically ruined because of the media.
Shit situation

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 12:01pm

I don’t know if he did what he is charged with, for me the presented evidence was more weighted towards an innocent verdict.

I read this thread and it seems most opinion is weighted towards a guilty verdict?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 12:08pm
andy-mac wrote:
flollo wrote:

I'm not understanding this. To be honest, I didn't follow this at all but what I'm reading here is really upsetting. Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist? What kind of a court case is this? If he's a suspect in criminal behavior shouldn't he be prosecuted by the state because he's a potential danger to society? Otherwise, they are just allowing all the other criminals to terrorise their victims to the point of the mental breakdown so they can't be prosecuted. What do they need to do to get a conviction, kill a person?

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Is this really how things work?

I'm in same boat as you @flollo. How will she feel if an alleged rapist is free without having a trial. I cannot see that helping her mental health in long term. Christain Porter also an alleged rapist avoided his day in court due to his accuser committing suicide. The whole thing stinks, guilty or not there should be a re-trial somehow where they could use the evidence she previously gave. Another thing, she was cross examined in court over every detail of the alleged incident whereas the accused can opt out of this interrogation by the prosecutor.

“she was cross examined in court over every detail of the alleged incident whereas the accused can opt out of this interrogation by the prosecutor.”

Innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is with the prosecution. Thus the defence does not need to front up for interrogation.

That is the system we have.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 12:13pm
Roadkill wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
flollo wrote:

I'm not understanding this. To be honest, I didn't follow this at all but what I'm reading here is really upsetting. Because she is suffering mentally they will not prosecute a suspected rapist? What kind of a court case is this? If he's a suspect in criminal behavior shouldn't he be prosecuted by the state because he's a potential danger to society? Otherwise, they are just allowing all the other criminals to terrorise their victims to the point of the mental breakdown so they can't be prosecuted. What do they need to do to get a conviction, kill a person?

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Is this really how things work?

I'm in same boat as you @flollo. How will she feel if an alleged rapist is free without having a trial. I cannot see that helping her mental health in long term. Christain Porter also an alleged rapist avoided his day in court due to his accuser committing suicide. The whole thing stinks, guilty or not there should be a re-trial somehow where they could use the evidence she previously gave. Another thing, she was cross examined in court over every detail of the alleged incident whereas the accused can opt out of this interrogation by the prosecutor.

“she was cross examined in court over every detail of the alleged incident whereas the accused can opt out of this interrogation by the prosecutor.”

Innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is with the prosecution. Thus the defence does not need to front up for interrogation.

That is the system we have.

But does that seem fair to you for the alleged victim? I know there needs to be legal protections for the accused, but this trial will not go ahead due to the alleged victim being too traumatised due to the first trial which was voided due to the fault of a juror.
Also, now that it will now not go to trial the accused will not have opportunity to be given an innocent verdict and will have the stigma for the rest of his life.
Yep it's a mess.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 12:18pm
Roadkill wrote:

I don’t know if he did what he is charged with, for me the presented evidence was more weighted towards an innocent verdict.

I read this thread and it seems most opinion is weighted towards a guilty verdict?

I actually don't know as I didn't follow the case at all. But I believe that there is a lack of detail about dropping the case. I mean, what exactly is the problem? Is it that she can't testify because of her mental illness? And without her testimony, there is not enough evidence? These are just speculations and I would like to see some specific detail rather than high-level commentary so I can make an appropriate judgment. Current explanation does not give me much confidence in our judicial system.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 12:47pm
flollo wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

I don’t know if he did what he is charged with, for me the presented evidence was more weighted towards an innocent verdict.

I read this thread and it seems most opinion is weighted towards a guilty verdict?

I actually don't know as I didn't follow the case at all. But I believe that there is a lack of detail about dropping the case. I mean, what exactly is the problem? Is it that she can't testify because of her mental illness? And without her testimony, there is not enough evidence? These are just speculations and I would like to see some specific detail rather than high-level commentary so I can make an appropriate judgment. Current explanation does not give me much confidence in our judicial system.

This case was destroyed in the media. And as far as I can tell that rests with those on Higgins side and Higgins who also made public statements

I agree with everyone else that it is a mess.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 2:01pm

With now a cloud hanging over the accused, is there any recourse for him to push for the trial to try and clear his name? At the risk of also being found guilty?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 2:51pm

Honestly, this makes me sick. This sends a terrible message, as a minimum they should've managed the PR properly. It is basically telling victims in society not to come out and report crimes unless they are 100% mentally stable. Which they are probably not because they went through some horrible trauma. So guess what, many will probably hide it and keep on living (some will probably give up on life) with a tremendous amount of psychological damage. And some sick bastards will know that they can actually get away with their crimes if they cause lifetime traumas to their victims. This is the impression I'm getting from this. I would love for someone to prove me wrong as it's literally making me sick.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 2:57pm
flollo wrote:

Honestly, this makes me sick. This sends a terrible message, as a minimum they should've managed the PR properly. It is basically telling victims in society not to come out and report crimes unless they are 100% mentally stable. Which they are probably not because they went through some horrible trauma. So guess what, many will probably hide it and keep on living (some will probably give up on life) with a tremendous amount of psychological damage. And some sick bastards will know that they can actually get away with their crimes if they cause lifetime traumas to their victims. This is the impression I'm getting from this. I would love for someone to prove me wrong as it's literally making me sick.

Agree.....

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Friday, 2 Dec 2022 at 3:41pm

Seems to me that the legal profession and authorities are genuinely trying to help the poor girl in an unfortunate and tricky situation, possibly since they may believe that she will again have little chance of conviction in a retrial.

I think the message is not to bring a case of this nature to court unless it is 100% watertight and guaranteed of conviction.

This might mean that a lot of genuine cases of this nature are not brought to court - and this is probably what regularly happens now - and I don't know the solution to that.