Desert Storm surfboard

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

Mcface's picture
Mcface's picture
Mcface Thursday, 12 Aug 2021 at 1:53pm
udo wrote:

7'6 " -Sold
Anyone on Swellnet buy it...Mcface ?

I didn't as I knew that storing a 6th surfboard in our 1 bedroom apartment wouldn't be well received by the missus (particularly one not being used that often), however I'm kicking myself that I passed up the opportunity now. A bit more juice to give me confidence on the bigger days, and to pack into the overseas quiver when the opportunity arises would be great to have.

udo Friday, 27 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm
udo Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 1:32pm

Above sold...very sought after Shooters.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 3:32pm

I'll be selling my 6'6 DS once I'm back down south, bit to my volume for me, keeping the 6'10 though :)

Bnkref Sunday, 29 Aug 2021 at 9:12pm

Seaslug what dimensions is your 6’6?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 1:07am

20" x 3" at 43L mate stock board

Bnkref Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 7:56am

Thanks. I’ve got a 6’10. Might look at getting one of the lower volume 6’6s down the track.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 10:11am

No worries, the 6'10 I have is 20" x 3" at 43.5L and is great. Think the 6'6 is just too much volume for me.

Bnkref Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 1:28pm

Cool. My 6'10 is 48.5L. Haven't had the opportunity to use it much in the conditions it's made for but that lower volume sounds good. I can duckdive mine but only just.

goofyfoot Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 1:51pm

Seaslug is your 6”10 only half a litre more than your 6”6?

udo Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 2:11pm

Thats what Webbys literage chart shows...its only .5 Ltr over 4 inches length.

Mcface's picture
Mcface's picture
Mcface Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 2:42pm

My suggestion, is it depends what you're after. I have the slim 6'6 (on the chart there it says 38.5 but pretty sure mine is 38L). Thing is though I'm 6'6 myself. I have a lot of fun on it but if I really want to push it in a bit more size, I probably would be better off with the slim version with a little more length, either 6'8 or 6'10, as the 6'6 has comparable volume to my other boards. Then again if I want to use it in a greater variety of conditions, but still be useful on bigger days I probably would have been better off with the wide version at a couple inches less, say 6'4.

I grabbed mine off gumtree (as udo knows) so obviously finding ideal dims is going to be difficult. But having said that I think the slim 6'6 version was designed for a smaller person than me, and if I had a second shot I'd either be getting that 6'8/6'10 slim or the 6'3/6'4 wide.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 2:58pm

Bnkref, I have a 6'10 x 19 3/4 x 3. Absolutely love it and have ridden it a lot for three years. My shorter on is 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4, and it looks, feels and surfs like a completely different board. Much finer rails, and more of a finesse board.

Both are great. But long story short, I'd slim down the dims on shorter a DS.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 3:29pm

Concur with you there Island Bay on a shorter DS. On a different note, he's just shaped me a 6'2 x 20 x 2 3/4" @ 37L 4 channel twin pin model, something completely different for me

udo Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 3:49pm
Bnkref Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 4:03pm

Thanks Island Bay. Yeah I was thinking along the lines of this option he offers: 6’6 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4 – 38.5L

Might get a new one when my current step up gives up the ghost.

udo Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 4:22pm

Freerides DS dims by memory

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 4:32pm

yep.
magic board

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 5:00pm
Davesansom wrote:

I looking at the DS but am also interested in another of Webster's model the wacko maybe it's abit more versatile, anyone had a crack on the wacko model? Thinking around 6'2 or 6'4 as abit if an all-rounder

G'day, did you end up getting a wacko? I like the description of them on his site. I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on them.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 5:01pm
freeride76 wrote:

yep.
magic board

Hi freedride, what conditions/wave size do you use the 6'6" in?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 5:51pm

anything from 4-5ft to 8ft

would ride in clean 8-10ft Indo.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 30 Aug 2021 at 6:18pm

Those dimensions sound better for 6’6 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4 – 38.5L Bnkref and FR76 confirms it :)

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 31 Aug 2021 at 5:29am
freeride76 wrote:

anything from 4-5ft to 8ft

would ride in clean 8-10ft Indo.

Can confirm that my 6'10 DS goes very nicely at 8ft Impossibles.

udo Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 3:42pm
Whitey62's picture
Whitey62's picture
Whitey62 Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 4:09pm

Hey guys, finally got on the DS train just in time for this last run of swell in Sydney. I don't know why I waited so long! As a bigger guy (6'5 115kg) I'm now starting to wonder how a smaller size might go in chest high daily waves. For reference I rode a 6'10 x 21 1/4 x 3 1/8 50L wacko most of the winter and went with a 7'2 x 21 1/4 x 3 3/8 55L DS. The paddle is unbelievable as expected, but I was really surprised how easy it rolled rail to rail and the hold for a 3 3/8 thick board was impressive. Thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge everybody, I see a few more of these being ordered in the future.

goofyfoot Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 8:50pm

Wonder what it is about these boards that people love so much?

I’m thinking it’s the “foam is your friend” saying.
If you can’t catch waves then you’re having a shit house surf, and the DS certainly give you a head start in that respect.

Interested to hear others thoughts…

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 11:54pm

Goofy I have a 7 footer DS for a couple of local fickle reefs went they fire get a bit of size.

Webby sussed me out what I wanted and the waves I was surfing.

When I got it I wasn't that impressed seemed like a big lump of foam.

Tried it in smaller waves to get the feel of it and it really didn't do much for me.

Then the 1st sold wave I took off on the board just lit up, quite surprised me.

Really sure under foot but for a 7 footer I can throw it around a bit I rate the board highly.
The paddle power is OK but not that much more than expected unlike performance which quite surprised me however it does need a bit of grunt to get going.

I think for me the key was Webby changing the dims for what I needed and me keeping my mouth shut.

Whitey62's picture
Whitey62's picture
Whitey62 Tuesday, 14 Sep 2021 at 8:56am
I focus wrote:

Thats what I did for this one as well. Most of my other boards from Webby I called and told him what I wanted. For the DS, I just said "I know this is your baby, you know my other boards, this is what I want to use it for, ill leave the rest up to you." Will probably just do this from now on haha

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 14 Sep 2021 at 10:48am

Goofy, if a heavily concaved HP step up is like a high-revving, souped-up Ferrari, then a DS is a heavier machine with heaps of torque.

It feels smooth and plows through chop, and surfs real 'grunty'. It's a very nice feeling, and very different from normal step ups.

Yes, they paddle well, but it's not like night and day.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Tuesday, 14 Sep 2021 at 12:50pm

any observations on comparisons between the MC protow and the DS?

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 4:32pm
bonza wrote:

any observations on comparisons between the MC protow and the DS?

I have a few of both those models. 6'5 and 6'9 pro tow's and 6'11 and 7'9 DS's.

Pro Tows are super fast and have a real knify/edgy feel. Great for clean hollow pumping waves. They paddle well and are fairly high performance when you get them going. You need to have your feet in the right position with them i have found, they seem to have a defined sweet spot.

Desert Storms are paddling beasts (common knowledge i know) and for me a really forgiving board. They glide into waves, will compensate any poor form to a degree on takeoffs and eat up wonk and chop if conditions aren't ideal. I've found them to make those so-so conditions when other boards are chattering underfoot much better ... even surfing solid NW WA on them in a light easterly when one well known wave up there becomes even harder to surf. Smoothed it out and made it pretty do-able. Less performance than a pro tow which you would expect due to the amount of foam in the DS and the different foils etc etc

I rate both boards highly, My DS's have been pulled in through the tail and the rails are a little more refined as per my request which webby was happy to do (he's a top bloke)

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 4:36pm
Whitey62 wrote:

G'day Whitey, what's the diff in performance between the wacko and DS?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 9:57am
cycd wrote:
bonza wrote:

any observations on comparisons between the MC protow and the DS?

I have a few of both those models. 6'5 and 6'9 pro tow's and 6'11 and 7'9 DS's.

Thanks for chiming in, cycd.

My thoughts exactly, but I didn't want to claim any expert status. And it's been a few years since I had a Protow. Would love to surf one at J Bay (without any hint of devil wind!).

zenagain Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 11:20am

My step up is a Protow and x2 on the sweet spot. It's a pretty unforgiving board unless your foot position is close to perfect. Lock in though on a good wave and you're almost in another dimension.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 1:17pm

Thanks all. Much appreciated. My step up protow is 6’4 and love it but yeah those DS sound good.

Bnkref Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 6:33pm

There’s a 7’6 DS for sale on the Surfcoast Secondhand Surfboards Facebook page. $600. Looks like it’s in good condition. Seller is in Lorne.

udo Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 6:50pm

Looks odd with plain white deck ... no WW decals..

Bnkref Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 7:38pm

Yeah I thought that too.

Bnkref Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 7:45pm

Same seller has a 6’10 listed. $400.

Whitey62's picture
Whitey62's picture
Whitey62 Wednesday, 29 Sep 2021 at 9:16am
Patrick wrote:

G'day Whitey, what's the diff in performance between the wacko and DS?

The Wacko is definitely more of a standard shortboard feel but with a bit more hold from the pulled in round tail and a little more foam under your chest. A lot more refined and quicker rail to rail. The wacko paddles a bit better than a standard shortboard but not by much, where the desert storm is a way better paddler IMO. The weight and momentum, smoothness and glide from the DS really set it apart.