Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

zenagain commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm

Copy that.

1173

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 1:52pm

One of the great films. THE great classical soundtrack.

An introduction.

zenagain commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 2:09pm

Awesome Facto, seriously.

Often (for me) it takes years and a gentle nudge that something you see or hear in your past for you to realise the significance of it in the present.

1173

indo-dreaming commented Friday, 9 Oct 2020 at 2:13pm

That kind of day

He came dancing across the water
With his galleons and guns
Looking for the new world
In that palace in the sun.

On the shore lay Montezuma
With his coca leaves and pearls
In his halls he often wondered
With the secrets of the worlds.

And his subjects
gathered 'round him
Like the leaves around a tree
In their clothes of many colors
For the angry gods to see.

And the women all were beautiful
And the men stood
straight and strong
They offered life in sacrifice
So that others could go on.

Hate was just a legend
And war was never known
The people worked together
And they lifted many stones.

They carried them
to the flatlands
And they died along the way
But they built up
with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

And I know she's living there
And she loves me to this day
I still can't remember when
Or how I lost my way.

He came dancing across the water
Cortez, Cortez

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley commented Friday, 9 Oct 2020 at 2:52pm

Try this version info ..... it’s considered his best live version

Track one of one hell of a live 2 CD album and eagerly awaited expected archives digital release of the previous VHS concert.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig commented Friday, 9 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm

For the finger pickers above. Something mellow for a chill Friday night. Pour yourself something from the top shelf and relax.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 commented Saturday, 10 Oct 2020 at 1:23am

A great cover & a Rockwiz special moment to remember....

Pristine

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Saturday, 10 Oct 2020 at 2:28pm

A belated Van Halen tribute.

Minutemen's version of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Wednesday, 14 Oct 2020 at 6:05pm

Rumour has it this is a Jane Wiedlin little project.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 11:36am

We've all been there??

zenagain commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 1:26pm

Ha ha! I knew a bloke like that when he used to get on the rum.

Fucker is now an exec. for one of the big Oz energy companies.

Go figure.

1173

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 2:15pm

Reminds me of a day/night out in Byron with a couple of reprobates.
First stop was the Beachie, about midday, mellow kind of day.
Standing at the bar when I sense something was amiss. I glance sideways and see the this fucking pair had their cocks out and were pissing against the bar.
Security saw the wangs in the breeze but missed the pissing, regardless, we were shown the door.
Next stop The Northern. From memory there were stolen drinks, drinks tipped over heads and general arse-clownery.
Thrown out.
Off to the Rails. Word had got around now so these two stooges couldn't even get in the door.
I distanced myself then headed in for a few drinks and a squizz at the band and the chicks.
Came out a few hours later to see a rolling scuffle down the main street with my two buddies and a pack of parkies.
Absolute heathens.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 3:04pm

on the upside Andy...they did turn the day into something you didn't forget.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 3:22pm

They scarred me Chook :)
If you wanted drugs, hookers and drunken, obnoxious debauchery, they were your fellas.
Luckily I knew my limits.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm

If Antonio ever wrote a book it would be a best seller.
Lines with Bryan Brown, shagging Mimi McPherson and more shenanigans than most people could fit into three lifetimes.
And all from a bald guy with a beer gut and a very modest pecker.
Fucking thing was like a button mushroom.

goofyfoot commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 3:28pm

Maybe if he was packin more heat down there he would of got Elle instead

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm

Needed a continental cucumber stuffed down the strides to bluff his way in.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers commented Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 8:46pm

Some nice work by a great Aussie wordsmith.

And some “therapy through noise”.

westjensontexas's picture
westjensontexas's picture
westjensontexas commented Saturday, 17 Oct 2020 at 9:58pm

Zappa still remains an enigma to me. All those 7/8 time signatures, oblique references, and path of most resistance tempo changes I find offputting. That said, I've got an old Zappa, Beefheart LP out in the shed that I plan to dig out soon. Might do some further digging on Spotify/Pandora. https://get-mobdro.com and https://get-tubemate.com

udo commented Saturday, 17 Oct 2020 at 10:20pm

Lanie Gardner -What a voice.