Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:22pm

Covers? Yep yep

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:25pm

Yeeeaahhh

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:28pm

Go country? Why not?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:30pm

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:42pm

Yus

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:59pm

Haha. Have we reached peak cover yet?

Miley does some Salamander Jim? Tex does Achy Breaky Heart? Billy Ray & Billy Idol do The Best of Both Worlds from Hannah Montana?

And is that 5 Dylan's?

Pass the Kratom.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 7:58pm

Tex n Miley over nick n kylie

Acoustic versions count as covers

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:05pm

Look out facto, miley two degrees from Germs

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:13pm

What about Nick and Miley?

"Oh let the damn day break
The rainy days always make me sad
Miley Cyrus floats in a swimming pool in Toluca Lake
And you're the best girl I've ever had
Can't remember anything at all"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:22pm

More! More! More!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm

Kratom!

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:28pm

Haha, in the light of this thread, classic. I've never heard that before.

Have you seen Country Music on SBS? Ken Burns doco. I watched the first few episodes, it was really interesting hearing about the beginnings of country /hillbilly/bluegrass. If you want to know where all the hardship cliches country singers sing about, well, they was livin it back then.

Also didn't know the banjo came from Africa and how radio stations began was new to me too.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm

Patrick, many thanks for your links, sent me searching for some good ol banjo playing tunes.
Reminded me of some good times past,

And sticking with the Miley Billy theme Udo’s link needs to be seen.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:51pm

Cool blackers. Did you ever see this band? No banjo in this one but the aesthetic is there ;)

(And there's a, somewhat flimsy, bridge to Nick to wrap it all up

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 9:26pm

How can Nick successfully manage his hair conundrum (seeing as an Art Garfunkel spell out of the limelight ain't gonna happen)?

Dye and plugs aren't cutting it, so to speak.

Trumpy comb over? Larry David, out & proud? Straight to the chemo Billy Corgan (they're mutual fans, no? Google that!) look? Ian MacKaye shave and beanie? Nah, but perhaps a more rakish hat of some sort?

Hmmmm, bowler ala Rene Magritte? Southern white gent homburg, Tom Wolfe style? Hunter S. Thompson green eyeshade?

Nah, something more Aussie...hang on...hang on...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm

Blackers....Bullamakanka Banjos

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 9:03pm

Woody Guthrie : A Life by Joe Klein, is a great read giving insight into the development of Americana folk music if you are interested in that.
And speaking of Woody, this not quite a cover but borrows some lyrics, with acknowledgement.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 9:39pm

No. 6....no, number 1. Bob & The Band go Woody.

And Guthrie's autobiography Bound for Glory is a worthy read.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 9:18pm

Cool links blackers.
Love how folk musicians cover each other. Arlo Guthrie and Billy Bragg put at a great album of Woody's song. Cash, Carter, Seeger, Woody, Leadbelly, Sonny and Terry, Baez, Havens etc. From a musical point of view, It would have been pretty cool growing up in the early 60s rather than the 80s. I so would have been a beatnik.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 9:28pm

Nick pictured there with the fabulously talented Tom E Lewis RIP.
I reckon Nick should go for the Trump triple come-over.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 9:48pm

Did someone mention hair (or lack of) and banjos?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 21 Sep 2020 at 10:45pm

Hahah Facto, the reverse Mohawk! Ol Nick is hardly the only one to self deny on the retreating hairline. The Dave Faulkner head-band is one suggestion for continuing the charade. Might be something in the “big hair” in your twenties, landing strip in your forties thing.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 12:41am

One song still pertinant today. Slow learners syndrome. The guys that taught me to surf were all accomplished bluegrass musicians. They accompanied many visiting bands, and played with the Dingoes once. One of the guys was always a goer, in and out of the surf, ended up pretty big in the recording and composing world, but always loved banjos, guitars and mandolins, and is still at it, his guitars and surfing, this guy.

https://www.palmspringslife.com/all-guitar-network/

https://allguitarnetwork.com/

This song was always on rotation when I began surfing. So its imbedded for life.

There's been a zillion covers, none as good, or raw for me though.

Although Healey's guitar always does the trick.

And there's even one for blinder.

There's always a riot going on.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 1:41am

@Patrick. Saw Mutiny many times. Fantastic band. One of them might be lurking around here from time to time.

Speaking of Bluegrass, here's wunderkind Billy Strings with Bluegrass legend Del McCoury playing a song by even bigger bluegrass legend, Bill Monroe.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 7:20am

Keep it in the family

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 7:47am

The only thing that made Brisbane tolerable for 15 years for me was the music scene.
The best hillbillies from the deep north.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 9:31am

Great songs R00ney, so that's 6ft, knew the name but first time I've heard them. Sounds cool & looks like they put on great shows. Yeah great band Hiccups.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 10:35am

Yeah Patrick, i'd heard of sixfthick before i shifted up there but hadn't seen them live.
Was not prepared for the onslaught of their live shows.
Getting to see them play regular slots at Ric's for free was a godsend. Freakin' scary the first few times, such a small venue with Ben and Geoff going nuts.
All the nicest blokes you'd meet offstage.
That incestuous Brisbane band family through the late '90s to mid 20 teens was arguably the best in the country at the time, methinks.

Worth checking this out.

And one for the road.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 10:41am

The flip side of the 2 headed beast...

and

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 12:15pm

Well, there you go, nice work R00ney. I never made the connection. Saw 6 ft Hick play in Melbourne a few years back, well perhaps a decade ago, great live act. And Beach Coma is a great album. Never caught Mutiny either, shame coz they look like they were fun too.

Abmay's picture
Abmay's picture
Abmay Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 1:44pm

Those Sixfthick gigs at Ric's were a godsend (and free to boot, us punters would have happily paid)..
As for covers, check out Rowland S Howard having a crack at White Wedding https://tinyurl.com/y6qmug9r
Haven't seen any live music for months, looking forward to William Crichton at Brunswick this Sunday.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 1:53pm

Currently enjoying Kokoko...start with Longola Ye Kupe. Does anyone know if they have toured here?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 1:57pm

Kokoko was definitely the Beach Boys at their zenith.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 2:22pm

lovin this latest flurry on the tunes - particularly some of your links Patrick. But you sent me down a dark and dirty rabbit hole on the crust folk punk scene the other day. Geez, there's some rough stuff in there, but I loved it

I wasnt familiar with Mutiny - reckon I'll enjoy looking into them a bit more. On that theme, had you ever listened to Spirit of the West? Canadian folk, I always thought of them as similar to WPA. Here's a link to a good one, from the travelling days, enjoy...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 3:27pm

Jeez, keep 'em coming boys.

Mainly to get to a new page, so that 6ft Hick's 'private school hillbilly' face stops giving me flashbacks.

Up close and personal at The Tote, I swear he tried to kiss me, so I gave him a Glasgow kiss, which he didn't appreciate. Music stopped, scuffle ensued, bottles flew, and we were kicked out. Another wasted night as Gang Green once said.
Oi MB, old mate Azza was there!

Last time I saw them was a decade later in Freo. The shirts still came off, and...yeah, time to put them back on, fellas, and get back to the 'chicken farm'.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 3:31pm

Heh heh, yeah it can be a dark scene Greenjam.

Originally a woman played guitar and sang in Mutiny along with the male singer who played drums. One memorable gig of theirs was on the 'pirate stage' during a Brunswick St festival. 96 I reckon. They couldn't get (or probably just didn't want) an official festival gig so they ran power out the back of a shop and played in a lane behind brunny st with The Blue Grassy Knoll. The knoll provide live scores to buster keaton movies.

Spirit of the west sound good, first I've heard them.

This group were in Aus a year or two ago.

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm

Here's one for all the Commies out there...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:01pm

Me gusta el color

(needed to wash out the crust)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:05pm

Does anybody not like the B-52's Love shack?

It's a funny song pretty much everyone has a soft spot for it no matter their musical taste

Anyway this would have to be one of my favourite covers.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:15pm

Abmay
Was gunna post Rowland doing White Wedding myself.
Cheerfully pay for a lot of Ric's gigs.
How's sixfthick, Rowland S and Devastations and i think Spencer may have played also...(rip to two absolute legends there)
Fucking gold that one.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:17pm

Wow indo, we can agree on something. Smoke the peace pipe if you want.
I've got B52s on now. Would have loved to see them live in the late 70s early 80s.

52 Girls just goes off.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:20pm

Sorry fellas had to post some Aussie Punk

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:54pm

Norman! Good one Udo.

And if we're gonna desecrate Sabbath, at least let there be a bit of humour...

A 1974 flashback??

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_black_sabbath_show_a_lost_cartoo...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 4:57pm

A post of Hank III and mention of Spencer P. Jones...

Yeah, odds on St Nick is gonna go the cowboy hat sooner rather than later?

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm

Hank III did some stuff with Melvins Facto. Crybaby album. Have you heard that mate? Great stuff.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 5:06pm

So many great Spencer songs. I couldn't find this live anywhere, but it's best played loud. Obviously.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 5:12pm

Hank 3's Straight to Hell is a stone cold country classic. His first record had 3 songs by this goddamn champ.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 5:50pm

I like the style, Hiccups. Saw Wayne the Train a few years back. Some rockin' and rollin' place in Northbridge called the Mustang Bar. Guys and gals dressed to the nines and doin' some fancy dancin'.

Martinis and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Fun times.

And Mattlock, I'm not surprised. Who haven't The Melvins done stuff with? I'll have to have a listen.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm

Oh yeah

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 22 Sep 2020 at 6:04pm

You are on fire Udo.
I can add these to the list.