Men's Paddle for Empowerment and Peace
This weekend, fifty surfers from the Ulladulla region will be paddling out to their local break. Once they reach the lineup, however, they won't stop, they'll keep paddling beyond where surfers are sitting and the waves are breaking.
For one-and-a-half hours they'll paddle due east towards the horizon.
The paddle is not just a physical and mental test - those involved will have to push themselves well out of their comfort zones - but part of a wider initiative that's happening down Ulladulla way over the next few weeks. All part of what organiser Dean Dampney says is to "promote men's well being and stronger role models".
You'll hear a bit more from Dean and the paddle in the coming weeks, however I'd like to bring the associated raffle to the attention of Swellnet readers. More specifically, the prizes. The first two alone - boards from Kirk Bierke and Jed Done - make it worth having a crack, but then the runner up prizes are many and growing all the time.
The prize pool is currently approaching $10,000 with more being added.
- Kirk Bierke 10'8" Single Fin Glider valued at $2,500.
- Jed Done Surfboard 8'2" Mini Glider valued at $1,950.
- Harry Bryant Hand Signed Surfboard valued at...priceless.
- Sixfish Surfboards Alaia valued at $1200. (NOT YET CONFIRMED)
- Ocean & Earth: Mark Richards epoxy soft board, leash and a cover value $850
- Rip Curl Ulladulla: 7'0" Mick Fanning Softboards Beastie value at $700.
- Surf Street Retreat Studio 2 Nights Accomodation valued at $650.
- AKWA Surf Shop A Surfers Dream Hamper valued at...
- Hueys Choice Surf Wax 48 Cake Carton valued at $300
- Nature Mind 2 Holistic Psychotherapy Sessions with Dean Dampney from valued at $260.
- Holistic Approach 2 Holistic Psychotherapy Sessions with Chad Taylor from valued at $260.
- Bannisters Mollymook Accomodation Voucher valued at $250.
- Pilgrims Wholefood Cafe Milton $100 Food Voucher, T-Shirt, and Cap valued at $200.
- JForce Fitness 1 months Zuu Pass and Hat valued at $200.
- Crossfit Huey 10 Pass Gym Membership valued at $150.
- Ross Wackett Timber Balance Beam with cradles valued at $140.
- Tracks Magazine 12 Month Subscription, shirt and hat valued at $125.
- Andrew Kidman Beyond Litmus Book valued at $120
- Body Align Physio & Pilates valued at $100.
- Wyld Spaces, Milton 4 Pass Yoga Membership valued at $100.
- Surfing World Subscription 12 month subscription valued at $85
The raffle will be drawn on the 18th December in conjunction with a screening of Kerby Brown's film Facing Monsters.
100% of all raffle ticket sales revenue will be paid forward back to the events Supporting Community Sponsors who in turn will directly pass their allocation of services free to their chosen clients. The idea, is to raise revenue by selling raffle tickets, for the sake of feeding the money back into the community, and particularly for providing services that are needed for men's mental health.