Joel Fitzgerald Loses House In Fire
On Saturday night, Joel Fitzgerald, son of 70s shaping maestro Terry Fitzgerald, lost his North Coast house and shaping bay in a fire.
Yesterday, Joel took to Instagram, describing the fire and how fast it spread.
Elder brother Kye has set up a Go Fund Me account to help Joel through the aftermath.
My house from 3 years has burnt to the ground. The home where I fathered my son Kainoa from 1 to 4. Where we played football down the hall, rode bikes and scooters inside the house. The north coast dream was very much real and I was grateful in every way to have this little blue house with a shaping bay and shed, timber floors and beautiful doors, green walls. A garden and view that reached the horizon from the hills of Byron.
It’s hard to say good bye, the emotions and feelings it brings are a little too hard. I would say it was time to move on, re-generation will take on, like a seed that needs the right temperature to germinate, waiting for the ground to break or fire to come.
I don’t think I would have ever left my house on the hill, but now it’s gone. The house will be demolished soon as it is condemned, thankfully it is a part of the Ballina development plan for new buildings and schools and roads and will be built into a beautiful place once again.
The main fire was in the shaping bay, the cause possibly an electrical box or light that had blown by a surge in the power. It’s unknown. In just a few minutes the fire turned into a major inferno, then the fire started to inflame the house, my garden hose was doing its best but little could be done until the fire department arrived. I went back in to save a burning board, a photo of my son, and as many things as I could grab in a final run through the burning house, but at some point I had to walk away as the fumes and smoke engulfed my beloved house.
The fire trucks arrived from Ballina, Lismore, and Lennox and we managed to save what was left in the destruction after only what seemed like a few minutes.
I was lucky in a way not to be killed by the fumes, fire, and exploding drums of resin acetone and surfboard material. I saved what I could in the minutes I had without getting in harms way. Kainoa was not there and is fine as he was with his mum at the time.
It’s a new chapter now, the end of an era and from the ashes the Phoenix will fly.
I would like to thank those who have supported me and Kainoa. We are doing great, one day, one breath at a time.