Watch: The road to homecoming

Swellnet Dispatch

Filmmaker Ryan Moss calls this clip "a quick glimpse of the local Tahitian surfing talent pool", but unfortunately we don't have names to accompany the many waves. Matahi Drollet is obvious enough, and one or two others look familiar, but it'd be nice to know who it is piloting through those dreamy blue caverns.

Instead we're left with dreamy blue caverns, but that'll do.

Note: this is the last part of Ryan's clip. The first six minutes was light on surfing and heavy on the slo-mo. If you want to see it click here

Comments

Blowin commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm

What a video.

Some of the most spectacular scenery, inviting water and charismatic barrels I’ve ever seen , all accompanied by some of the worst music I’ve ever heard.

So close , yet so far.

stunet commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 1:29pm

Amazingly, the music is even worse in the first part of the vid. There was no way I could put it on Swellnet in its entirety.

We've got standards to uphold.

.cylinders's picture
.cylinders's picture
.cylinders commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm

I can't...

How the hell are you supposed to enjoy that imagery while dude is rapping about his wiener and how much of a contrived kook he is.

I like rap too but that was trash and ruined the vid. Paused and then closed tab.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm

What a magical part of the surfing world. Never been there but it looks like a slice of heaven.....I can't comment on the music because I'm at at a place where I probably shouldn't be watching surf vids and I have to mute the sound, but trust in Stu's standards :)

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 2:29pm

Should have started one wave earlier, best wave of the clip, 5:33.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 2:45pm

Stayed there for 5 weeks in a homestay with my missus. Magic place once you get in the vibe of it all. An inflatable boat is what you need. Some of the lagoon paddles were muscle sapping not to mention currents and the waves themselves. Would I go back.....I said no back then...now.....maybe! Im desperate for some juice. The closest Ive got of late is an OJ and lawn bowls on the Sunny Coast these last few months!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 2:46pm

The water looks so bloody good!

Matahi Drollet has it wired, doesn't he.

zenagain commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm

That last tube was crazy.

Great vision, beautiful colours, forgettable music.

Watashi wa metabo oyagi desu.

t-diddy's picture
t-diddy's picture
t-diddy commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm

amazing vid!!!! not surprised a bunch of middle aged Australians (ie, white men) didn't dig the hip hop

Blowin commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 5:52pm

Sure thing , Shaniqwa.

Play some Chisels while I throw another shrimp on the barbi , cobber.

t-diddy's picture
t-diddy's picture
t-diddy commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 6:55pm

you're conceding I'm right

Blowin commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 7:01pm

Of course you’re right.

I wish I had a culturally inherited ear for shit African American rap music so I could even begin to enjoy it .

But I don’t , so I can’t .

t-diddy's picture
t-diddy's picture
t-diddy commented Tuesday, 6 Nov 2018 at 9:48pm

haha! nice one

Latest News

Watch: Adrien Toyon // First Love

Twenty-something surfer reunites with his very first board and wonders why he ever stopped surfing it.

River deep, mountain high: Explaining Nazare

As a wedge of Himalayan proportions, Nazare breaks like no other big wave on Earth. Here's why it does what it does.

Watch: Albee Layer and Matt Meola // Polylemma

Get two surfers for the price of none.

Green Alert for Nazare

It's 48 hours till go time. Check the draw and time difference for Oz viewers.

Oil spill in Great Australian Bight could reach Sydney's beaches

Eugene Boisvert...

A leaked draft environmental plan illustrates how damaging a drilling mishap in the Bight could be.

Yellow Alert for Nazare

"Though Friday's swell will be overshadowed by Sunday's it has a few things going in its favour."

Watch: Bowie Pollard // Tea Tree

Timeless scenes from the outside points.

Watch: Reef Heazlewood // Untitled

Freesurfing at the pointy end of the season.