Watch: Koa Rothman in Tahiti

Ben Matson
Swellnet Dispatch

Koa and the crew enjoy a couple down days before the next swell exploring other waves around Tahiti.

Comments

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 10:21am

That big righthander is one of my Objects of Supreme Desire. Faaark!

Am I being silly, or does he make it sound like it's a chore being in Tahiti and having to go surf? Not much stoke.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 11:16am

you got that right ib. first 8:30 is koa rothman whinging. last few mintues are a few waves at an epic right. do yourself a favour and ffwd to the end

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan commented Monday, 5 Nov 2018 at 10:02am

I'd love to sit safely in the channel and watch it. Not a drop of water out of place. But even mindsurfing that video there I could see how quickly I'd go from paddling into the wave to drowning haha.

That was at 9.25 - crazy.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm

3 minutes into it and not a wave in sight. ....does anyone else get annoyed when surfing vids get caught up in pre surf dribble and David Attenboroughesk adventures?
Just show me the waves! (Please)

mattmac's picture
mattmac's picture
mattmac commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm

you're not wrong - lost interest after 3 mins listening to bullshit- please spare us all the unnecessary crap and just show the surfing !

barrytheblade's picture
barrytheblade's picture
barrytheblade commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 4:36pm

Spot on! Poor Koa stuck in Tahiti, what a fkn draino

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 5:11pm

"we're inbetween swells right now"
lol, this would be an A+ day at most other places in the world

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm

and my goodness, that right at the end!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 7:18pm

Came across as poor little spoilt pro surfers having a tough time in paradise.......Koa needs to lighten up......depressing .

simba

mr mick's picture
mr mick's picture
mr mick commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 8:43pm

IMHO comments above all a bit harsh. To me he's just stating the facts about the conditions etc, we've all been there, & i don't mind the "other" footage mixed in. But maybe they should've gone fishn.'

Mr mick

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg commented Sunday, 4 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm

Is it the same right that Dorian got that crazy one from a few years ago?
Interesting that the best barrels were paddled and the step offs were (comparatively) average.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Monday, 5 Nov 2018 at 4:49am

Yep. Dorian's bomb. Alex Gray's segment towards the end of Psychic Migrations, etc. I've been frothing on this wave for such a long time, and I'd probably run away screaming if I ever got to be there on a decent day.

Didn't mean to start a stampede against Koa and this clip. I actually enjoy downtime bits in surf videos, if done well and with people you can relate to. I just thought they all came across a bit too cool for school.

Have any of you been to the area and not just surfed Teahupoo? Paddled to some of the spots? Had a nosey around? I'd love to go, but don't like the idea of just hopping on the boat with everybody else and being on a set programme. Usually surf off-Broadway spots with fewer people, and don't mind paddling 1k to get there.

Intel very much appreciated.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump commented Monday, 5 Nov 2018 at 6:40am

I froth on this wave too IB. Can’t shed much light on it, but I’ll tell you this. I’ve had my fair share of world travel, and there’s only 2 places I have been truely keen to go back to again. NZ & Tahiti (French Polynesia) A half day tinny hire with driver was 150AUD when I was there 10 years ago

aussieguy's picture
aussieguy's picture
aussieguy commented Monday, 5 Nov 2018 at 10:29am

I'm with you Island Bay. Not too keen on just being on the boat with many others all rocking up to the same spot. I usually try and hunt out the least crowded spots even if it means the wave isn't quite on. To me it's all about the ocean experience and not the hassle in the line up with everyone else. Also, don't mind a mega paddle.