Parking Tickets

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010 at 3:04am

Just thought I'd air my frustration on the stupidly high fines that apply in the Sydney region for minor parking offences.

Me and my mate both got $197 fines for simply parking closer than 10m to an intersection on a quite suburban street! What kind of rule is that! What's even more annoying is that there are no parking restrictions at all around the area, therefore the inspectors made an effort to book us. Surely they could of given us a warning before raking in the dollars.

I don't know how much a lower end speeding fine is, but i'm guessing it's close to $197 and I can't see how parking withing 10m of an intersection should even come close to the same penalty.

Also $84 dollars for going over the alotted time is a joke as well.
Bit different from Adelaide where you can park on the street in the middle of the city on a week day and receive a $15 fine if you're unlucky.

Rant over :D

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010 at 3:57am

Craig, I agree the penalties are over the top but for what you did, there's a serious visibility problem which can contribute to accidents at the corner or put pedestrians in danger crossing the road at that point.
However, there's no doubt the parking issue on the NB is an absolute rort.

heals's picture
heals's picture
heals Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010 at 4:18am

'A serious visibility problem', what are you Constable Care?

Look Craig...pay that ticket but hold onto it. When ever you want to park illegally pull it out of the glovebox and stick it under your wipers. When the filth come around to book you they'll see you've already got one and continue on their way.

It's worked for me....mostly

humpty's picture
humpty's picture
humpty Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010 at 4:22am

The penalty seems quite excessive for parking within 10 meters of an intersection in a quiet suburban street. Sure, if it is a breach of the law there needs to be a reprimand (or a warning in the first instance is probably enough for most). But $200 is just obscene, the Northern Beaches councils are clearly on a money grab campaign.

Parking inspectors are the lowest of the bottom feeding scum - how they sleep at night I will never know. If you are an uneducated no hoper, with no practical skills, there are less morally devoid jobs out there for you, e.g. hookers or drug dealers - don't you think it is time for a career change?

That feels better!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010 at 6:55am

Bombora, I know there may be an issue to vision etc. But I was parked around 2m away from the edge of the corner giving plenty of room for vision and pedestrians.

As Humpty said, I feel that it's just a money grab, they got 3 cars from what I see which equals an easy $600 for them when they could of at least put out a warning!

sammij's picture
sammij's picture
sammij Monday, 15 Feb 2010 at 12:39am

totally agree! thats just bullshit. i got a $60 parking fine for being 1 minute late. watchin the inspector put the ticket under my whiper, couldnt even talk him out of it! its like they get off on taking money off people. get a real job!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 2:01pm

Just a heads up Manly crew.

The council have stopped their foot patrols along the foreshore and are driving an electric car up and down the espy repetitively with fitted cameras filming number plates.

If your number plate being spotted doesn't fall within 10 minutes or so of getting a ticket from the machine, you'll get fined. Already been a few stung.

So you can't even just pop down there and check the surf or get a coffee and leave anymore, have to use up your allotted time or pay for a ticket.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 2:20pm

oh technology
We don't even get rego stickers now.
Good ol Big Brother eh;)

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 4:06am

You can rant and rave and just become part of the system or you can stand up for your rights and do something about it.
http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/pages/About-Traffic-Fines.html

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 4:07pm

Good link cheers.
Interesting stuff Fitzy..?
Are you a member of E-Book!
If so how many red light /speeding cameras are out there between each of those one thousand reefs that you drive through;)

Parking fines as well:)

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 1:43pm

Hey Welly,
Yeah I was going to lose my licence because a cop needed to up his quota and I was jack of it, so starting searching of ways to fight it. A mate put me onto it and I haven't looked back.
Short story is I've had 3 speeding fines and 2 parking fines overturned through taking it to court. The parking fines were the easiest. I've even helped a few friends get off the parking fines with a simple letter.
The general public are being hoodwinked by governments and their departments. We all become complacent and accept the bullshit fed to us as they slowly start to chip away at our freedoms. I could go on and on, but education is everything. $80, or what ever it is, was the best money I ever spent as it saved me thousands and really opened my eyes.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 3:22pm

Whats the go Fitzy?

Byron Shire parking fines are $242.

I've had three over the past year.......there goes the new board for the year.

Currently got another one that my father in law got from Ballina Shire Council for $104.

You reckon I can get that Ebook and fight it in Court?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 3:41pm

Freeride what are your parking fines for ,overstay ,loading zone, ?
$242 a time fuck that...... providing your car vin no: isn't visible re attach your number plates with velcro Freeride...park your car and carry them wherever you go..he he !

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 3:48pm

$242.00??????? Jesus christ!!!!! Mainland east coast is a joke....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 4:07pm

Insane Steve!

Guess we got lucky just before new years when we were told by the rangers to move on at dawn with a warning just next to the tea tree lakes :o

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 4:08pm

Mate there are no standing signs every six feet in Byron....trying to get creative to get a park at the Pass with the kids on school holidays.

It makes a man very angry.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 4:18pm

Revenue raising gone mad.... Probably to pay for a bunch of councilors to go on a study tour of French truffle farms....

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 14 Apr 2015 at 9:40am

Whats up with "Roclar Civil Engineering" orange witches hats taking up half the Burleigh parking, all the way to the top carpark, this morning....?
New fancy revenue raising parking meters to be put in place...?

Fitzy thanks heaps for the link again, could be handy in the future.

Freeride $242, thats ridiculously excessive, I thought $120 up these ways was too much.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 14 Apr 2015 at 10:57am
freeride76 wrote:

Whats the go Fitzy?

Byron Shire parking fines are $242.

I've had three over the past year.......there goes the new board for the year.

Currently got another one that my father in law got from Ballina Shire Council for $104.

You reckon I can get that Ebook and fight it in Court?

It's worked for me Steve. Those fines seem over the top and I would fight them.

The thing is, they make fines enough to be a pain in the ass, but not too high that you would go out of your way to fight. Most peoples attitudes are "it's easier to just pay the fine and be done with it". And that is what makes it work for them and they rake in the revenue. Apathy.

It's pretty intimidating when you first go to court, but understand the court system and use that system to your advantage, and most of the magistrates I've faced have been good, they have recognized that i'm an amateur and actually guide you through the process, often in laymans terms. Remember, it is an "alleged" infringement. It is not up to you to prove you're innocent, it is up to the prosecution to prove you are guilty "without reasonable doubt".

It's totally up to you. Nothing changes if no one does anything about it. You learn to hold those in that apparent power accountable to there actions and ensure they do it by there own policies and procedures (which 90% of the time they don't). It works for me and I'm all the better for it.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 14 Apr 2015 at 6:33pm

Great post;)