Surf Hero?

brutus's picture
brutus started the topic in Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 11:30am

Been wondering what to do with this for a week. Spoken to quite a few people about, "to post or no to post?"

I feel that this should now clarify and bring to light what has been a sad and emotional issue.......it will be up to the appropriate authorities now to bring closure to this story.....and let's hope that surfing is not too tarnished by one persons behaviour.

Fund-raiser’s wipe out: Charity dumps surf hero
Posted on 27 December 2013.
By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN
A NATIONAL breast cancer charity has withdrawn its permission for Torquqay big-wave surfer Jeff Rowley to use its name in fund-raising. National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) chief executive officer Carole Renouf said Mr Rowley had not remitted any funds to the charity in 18 months.

Mr Rowley, who has developed an international profile in surfing for his big-wave exploits around the world, set up an internet fund-raising page and issued media releases promising to raise money for breast cancer research with his Charge for Charity.

His fund-raising page on everydayhero.com.au lists $1000 in donations to other charities. He has claimed in media releases to have raised $10,000 for charity, with a target of $1 million. Mr Rowley is not registered as a fund-raiser with Consumer Affairs Victoria, which is a legal requirement for his activities.

Ms Renouf said Mr Rowley signed up with the charity in June 2012, initially with permission to use the NBCF name for three years.

“We’ve since tightened our policies and only grant an authority for 12 months. There’s been no activity for a year and no funds have been received, so we’ll pull the plug.

“We’ve been in touch with his nominated contact person six times but had no response, so we’ll write to him and advise him he can no longer use our name.”

Ms Renouf said most of the thousands of people who signed up to raise funds for the charity ran an event and donated the proceeds.

“It’s easier to track if it’s an event, as we have procedures where we follow up the event after it’s held, but in this case it’s been a bit vague.”

Mr Rowley said he was invited to join NBCF as a part of its ambassador program to promote awareness and assist in fundraising efforts “as a high-profile surfer”.

“As of this moment I have yet to secure a major sponsor and continue to fund my travel expenses largely through my personal savings, sponsors and a sports grant,”

Mr Rowley said. “With the increasing travel, I have spent less time at home recently and have not yet been able to put the time, focus and resources required into another Charge for Charity fund-raiser.”

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 1:12pm

Stunned.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 14 Feb 2014 at 2:09pm

Rowley is probably stunned also in how his life has .....????

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 10:48am

Let me just say, let the full weight of the law take it's toll. I am not impressed with what he has done.

But Brutus, fuck come on! " ....and let's hope that surfing is not too tarnished by one persons behavior." I think I read the same line from the victorian surf ass. back in the early 70's when they stripped the then state champ of his title.

I'm not after a slanging match Brutus, I think your just being a bit high and mighty here, good on you you got your man. But your no better than him, your just older and wiser cause you have made a hundred times more mistakes.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 8:08am

Morris here we go again.......this is not about me....its about Rowley and the type of person he is.......to even suggest that I have somehow have made mistakes in ripping people or charitys off is pretty low Morris..

I did not get my man as you suggest...he got himself......he has to live with the consequences of his behaviuor...I just saw it coming!!!!!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 8:14am

Hang on Brutus. You made damn sure you made his name mud over in Hawaii though and spread as much dirt on him as possible to everyone you could. You even gloated about it.

Why don't you just sit back, shut the fuck up and let it all unfold.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 9:00am

ah fitzroy21.......when he took me to court on a trumped up intervention order,and the judge threw it out...yeah I was pretty angry at the time.....

I have never made up anything about him never had to.....he has his personal behavior to answer for...but I can tell that you must be one of his fans..each to his own......telling the truth is sometimes strager than fiction and in this case ..sure is!!!

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 9:44am

It's been six weeks since that article was written. Is he being investigated or charged?
If its true its a dog act

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 9:52am

the truth is that he has not given any money to the cancer charity,and they have had to drop him because of this ,as he has raised money but used it for his own expenses....

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 9:53am

Not one of his fans Brutus (nor one of yours either) and have never met the guy (have met you several times) but you keep this mantra of 'he'll get whats coming to him'. The thing is your accellarating it and making damn sure you contribute to it. Let it unfold naturally and people can make their own decisions on the facts rather than opinion.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 10:07am

Fitzroy I am here just telling the truth...this article was posted awhile ago....asJeff has been a source of a lot of stories on these forums,all I am doing is reposting an article that reports the facts....

my opinion is not in the article,these are not my facts ......I am making sure people are aware of Jeffs recent behavior as reprted in the article....

I am interested to hear your opinion after reading the article??

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 10:20am

No, but as discussed on other forums here, you've voiced your opinion here and OS (which you are entitled to) but its sounding like a broken record and you are FAR from perfect yourself.

As RR said above, if it's true its a dog act.

I will wait and see what unfolds with the facts before I form a firm opinion.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 10:47am

news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19760304&id=gfxUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=V5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7162,913364

I am no fan of Jeffs, he's a hot surfer and that is all(same for you). I am just amazed that you used that line of one surfer bringing the name of surfing into disrepute, yet it has been done to you and I bet you were not to happy about it at the time, sorry for questioning your integrity, but you put it out there.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 10:30am

I would have thought you of all people would know the difference between FACTS and ALLEGATIONS Brutus.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 11:03am

just love the personal attacks..any comments on the actual article......

the FACTS are NO money has been given to the NBCF,Jeff has claimed he raised %10K,the NBCF has dropped Jeff because of the former facts..

Jeff has not registered as a fundraiser with Consumer affairs ,which is a legal requirement for his activities..thats a FACT

Jeff has not returned any calls to the NBCF......FACT....so what are the allegations Fitz?

Morris ,so I was busted for possession in 1974 of cannabis,served 22 mths reporting to the police daily while on bail,received a 4 year sentence as an example ,because I was an up and coming good surfer,served 3 years parole,the ASA stripped me of my title while in jail,sent a letter to the governor,saying what a risk I was,so I was made to serve the majority of my sentence in Maximum security In Pentridge Prison , because I brought the sport of surfing into disrepute,in an era ......when all the surf Co's supported me,the media supported me .I have a list of athletes who also supported the fact that I was given the hashest sentence ever handed out in Australian history.....still hold the record...and Morris can you explain the difference between ripping off a cancer charity,and being busted 40 yrs ago for possession of pot?????

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 11:04am

Moris and Fitzroy what are your opinions on jeff after reading the article??

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 11:25am

Are you blind Brutus? I answered you above.

You have presented a newspaper article. Do you believe everything you read in a paper? Does a magistrate convict someone on a newspaper article and one side of an allegation. The paper printed a two sentence answer from Jeff, was that his entire answer to the question or just what they printed? He is entitled to a right of reply. A magistrate will listen to both sides of the FACTS before sentencing. Not one sides allegations.

Fucken wake up to yaself ya clown.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 11:37am

...and Morris can you explain the difference between ripping off a cancer charity,and being busted 40 yrs ago for possession of pot?????
If the allegations against Jeff are true. None, you both broke the law.
And I might add for the same reason, so you could go surfing instead of having to work. For that, I can find forgiveness for both of you. :-)

What do I think of Jeff after reading the article? Not highly if found guilty

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:24pm

You might have to clarify for me but I can not see where Jeff has ripped off the charity for his own benefit, only that he had not remitted funds for quite a period of time. He may not have raised any funds in this period and as the NBCF had tightened their time frame he would fall outside of this.

Maybe I am wrong but I kind of agree that without actually hearing from the man himself, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Sent Jeff an email through his website and hopefully he will come on here and put this to rest.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:24pm

fitz don't have one....calm down old fella.....OK you don't believe the news article......or the journalist or that the NBCF....that's your prerogative.......

lets hope that Jeff will make himself available to explain himself and then alleged claims of the NBCF...

and morris its obvious that if you break the law you see no difference in the crimes...so a thief and a murderer are the same......they both broke the law???

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:40pm

Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch- Bit of weed in the 70's and getting jailed for it and stealing from a cancer charity (allegedly. They aren't even in the same ballpark from a moral perspective.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:49pm

Depends on your perspective, i f ya mum had breast cancer well Jeff would probably be the worst, but then if ya son was a drug addict then Brutus would take the prize.

Bit of weed Zen, we're talking enough to buy 3 houses in torquay at the time.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:50pm

Never said I didn't believe the article, journalist or NBCF, they're your words.

Interpret what I have written however you like. I have stated pretty clearly that when I hear the facts from ALL sides is when I will make my firm opinion.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:51pm

Hi Zen jeff raised funds for charity,and by his own admission was about $10...but he has not remitted any to his charity....and he wasn't registered which could have been an oversight....

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 12:56pm

morris ahh why would you attack me so personally with just plain lies......not sure if pot is a drug of addiction,I was busted for possession.......whats ya beef with me unless your Jeffs dada ???

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 1:11pm

Fair enough Morris but it's hard for me to get worked up over any quantity of pot. The quicker they legalise it and tax it for the benefit of everybody the better I say.

Brutus, I have to say I didn't interpret the article that way but if he has indeed ripped off a cancer charity to the tune of $10k, well......

But as I stated above, I've sent Jeff a polite email through his website inviting him to respond here so hopefully he'll do just that. In the meantime, I'll have to sit this one out.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 2:40pm

Settle down Brutus, I have not made any lies up about you, it was all documented in the Age and then you filled in the gaps and it is not a personal attack . I am just pointing out that your comments on your opening post were the pot calling the kettle black and a bit high and mighty.

Zen I have much the same attitude as you legalize it and tax it, so kids don't have associate with criminals just to score some weed.:-)

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 3:04pm

what are you talking about morris....you mentioned that if ya son was a drug addict I would take the prize.and 3 houses that BS and you know it!!!

I get so tired of people just making up stuff...weed is not addictive but here I go again having to defend myself against misinformed people who think that my crime was punishable to the extent I received...I wore it,did the time because of the crime so what do you think someone should get for defrauding a charity relative to my crime??

high and mighty no......pissed off at guy who ripped of a charity,crossed a line in charging me with an intervention order,pissed off that I was the one who took him and his brither down the coast taught em to tow,showed em the spots,and vouched for them with the locals...yeah bit pissed off....and all for what.......??

What do you think any sponsor would do now??? all for what????

passout's picture
passout's picture
passout Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 3:21pm

ignoring all the issues that you have with each other above, here's a few facts:
*surf hero is not registered for charity
*surf hero used NBCF to promote himself & his charge for charity
*$1,000 is a long way short of $1 million target
*surf hero has never pioneered any new big wave spots in Oz
*surf hero lodged AVO's on 3 people based on lies
*did surf hero win $$ at xxl / bwa awards & bwwt events last year?
*surf hero stated in press releases he had raised $10,000 for charity
*NBCF states no money has been donated for 18 mths on surf hero's charge for charity.
*surf hero's charge for charity page & athlete facebook page have been deleted recently.
*surf hero's did not answer NBCF's 6 requests for answers

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 3:59pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:

Never said I didn't believe the article, journalist or NBCF, they're your words.

Interpret what I have written however you like. I have stated pretty clearly that when I hear the facts from ALL sides is when I will make my firm opinion.

so what do you believe as jeff is not talking to the media....you said you don't believe everything you read in the papers and I agree...but when a reputable organization such as the NBCF makes a press release such as it did.....its pretty believable.....

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 4:26pm

Jeez brutus, In the news paper report it said you were busted with $30,000 worth of oil. Back in the 70's you could buy a house on the coast for under 10k. I was just putting it into perspective of how big a bust it was.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 4:54pm

'pissed off that I was the one who took him and his brither down the coast taught em to tow,showed em the spots,and vouched for them with the locals...yeah bit pissed off....and all for what.......??'

Thats surfin' brutes, better get used to it. Did that, taught all the Elliston grommets to surf, when the 'local' badboys hated their guts just for being cockies kids. Took them everywhere, the bad boy locals were gonna do bad arsed shit. Fuck'n hilarious. Then the cockies kids ended up bad arsed bad boys themselves, gonna do bad arsed shit to everyone who came to town. Hilarious! One of them even ended up an identical clone of you and Lynchies mate. I vouched for a big wave 'legend' once, helped him out shitloads, got him sponsorship, when the sponsors had heard he was just bad news, put my name on the line, 'thanks maaayyyte yeh, promise maaayyyyte.' Full of shit, burned everyone for a few quick bucks, then went all hard arse Vanilla Ice 'tuding everwhere. Still full of 'tuding. Write a novel about it, fucking hilarious. Thats 'Core' bra.

Jeff taught the whole fuck'n coast to tow, lent them everything he had, all of em, look where it got him. Core.

All Dora, just bad arse surfees 'tudin bra. Write a book. Hilarious shit. Better get used to it.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 5:01pm
brutus wrote:

you said you don't believe everything you read in the papers and I agree...

Quote me where I said that Brutus.......................

Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 6:32pm

Your do full of shit updick!
Me and my mates tow heaps and have done for a while and have never borrowed or been offered anything by that fuckwit smuck!
Your just his big flabby lap dog aren't you!
I reckon you would try and hijack a thread on propagating roses and talk about your fuckn glutes!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 6:36pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:

You have presented a newspaper article. Do you believe everything you read in a paper? Does a magistrate convict someone on a newspaper article and one side of an allegations

Fitzroy well wht did you maen..I don't care what you say or think I said the article is quite clear based on a press release from the NBCF.....

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 6:40pm

'Your do full of shit updick!'

Bad arse! Still 'tudin! fuckin hilarious shit. Chicken shit.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 6:48pm

well morris it was actually 3 .5 oz's and on appeal this was accepted...but you just keep trying the character assassination and irrelevant shit you dig up...do you think that the police ever exaggerate what they bust and talk it up...

why didn't they charge me with trafficking if it was so big,why was I given the longest sentence ever and till this day there has never been a sentence 1/2 of what I got........but I wouldn't change a thing

so whats your deal morris......a guy rips off a charity,and out comes MY past.....says a lot about you as person,rather sad!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 6:50pm

uplift ya roidmania is showing again...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:02pm

uplift ya roidmania is showing again...

Yeh, well you certainly couldn't accuse the semi pro's of that.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:22pm

Brutus mate..your in denial of the fact that you broke the law, got busted, and was judged guilty as charged..and you still seem to hold anger over the incedent..I think you might of got off lightly for the era your 'crime' was committed..you should count yourself lucky you were never busted in indo!!
I agree with you that mull should be legalized and taxed ..but..this isn't currently the case..
While you have quite a compelling case against your 'jamrolls' he does have a right of reply..maybe your just a jealous sob how do we know?
@Uplift , mate your just being a cunt now. I am surprised you haven't been banned for some of your slanderous comments..Luckily (for you) the swelly boys have a fair bit of freedom of speech philosophy ..if it was an average joe making those comments we woulda been slapped down!!
Although I do appreciate your right to be anonymous....and I think that is only fair..Your not cool..your a tool..if your not prepared to have some kind of intelligent conversation then just fuck off of here!!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:38pm

Hi barley....never said pot should be legalized.....just pointing out I was harshly dealt with relative to the times and now....If I had my time over ...no problems serving a couple of years in jail,I recommend it for all..amazing experiences a look at "the System"...made some great friends.......and definately not jealous of ol FIG JAM ...feel a bit sorry for where this has all ended up for him......ostracized from Vico...and the Big wave community....respect has beelost and is seldom ever regained...his choices

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:39pm

Barley, why don't you just fuck off and don't read what you dont like?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:44pm

hey uplift how can he not read something and not like it or dislike it?

ya roids are playing up again!

Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm

Yeah honey good idea. I am not going to read things I don't like, so smart big guy so smart.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:58pm

Cheepers Bruteless, don't worry, I'll show ya the light.

Try to clear ya mind, and I'll go through it step by step. Sit down. Take a deep breath, (oxygen only) and pay attention.

1. Uplift posts.

2. Barley waiting eagerly, see's 'uplift' has posted.

3. Barley hates what uplift writes... I hate that slanderish tool! (note: something that can easily be proved true is not slander)

4. Barley has a choice. Cheepers! I hate reading 'uplifts' posts, so I'll either:

A. Read it and call him a tool and tell him to fuck off.

B. Ignore it. Don't read it.

5. Barley chooses B, problem solved!

See how ya go bruteless, I can break it down further for you.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 7:59pm

Ditto bad arse Mrs Uplift, with the bad arse 'tude. Hilarious shit. Chicken shit.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 8:08pm

just wondering how off topic you can get uplift.......You Are truly amazing!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 8:14pm

Ask a totally off topic question, and... amasing!

Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 8:37pm

And your a really tough guy honey?
It's all bullshit.
You are not handsome
Not that big
Can't surf
So it's all bullshit.
Even guys you think are mates don't like you or your all for me attitude. But most importantly regarding your cred you actually are a kook and have always been. Never have you been regarded as a god surfer on this coast and commonly laughed at as a mumbling kook by those who you
Think like you. This recent foray into the swellnet world has been the most commonly laughed about topic in the lineup from fisheries to caves in the last 6 months.
You have proven to me and others that just thought you were a wanker that you have serious mental problems. You should fuck off back to the phillapenes where they just nod and agree with you.
You look like a love child of Richie benaud and jabba de hut you flabby fuck!

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 8:43pm

I love swellnet, while I am at work I get to read all this banter.
Here is my 2 cents on this thread. Dude dosnt like dickhead for exploiting charity, downdraft dosnt like dude because he dosnt like dickhead. Downdraft appears to be legend in his own lunchtime, with delusions of self proclaimed awesomeness , I think he might surf in a pair of budgie smugglers and a mirror on the front of his board to check his core while carving himalayan sized chunks out of the ocean. Then again he might just be a nudist goatboater.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 15 Feb 2014 at 9:38pm

You bad arse Mrs Uplift! 'Still tudin. Big deal. Chicken shit.

'I think he might surf in a pair of budgie smugglers and a mirror on the front of his board to check his core while carving himalayan sized chunks out of the ocean.'

And inzider, ok you got me, you win.