Killer Whales along the Mornington Peninsula

harrykoonya's picture
harrykoonya started the topic in Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 1:19pm

Does anyone know why Killer Whales are still migrating past the peninsula so late in the season? I had one jump out of the water about 20 meters away from me near Rye back beach and I was terrified to say the least. Needless to say, I and the other blokes I was surfing with swam in to shore pretty quickly; I just didn't want to take the risk in sub-par two-foot surf. I mean it was a surreal experience, but I was under the impression that Killer Whales migrate only in the wintertime - when the water is cool and not early summer. Perhaps it has something to do with the cool start to summer??

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Dec 2013 at 1:59pm

Wow, I didn't know they were regularly seen down there? I would shit it as well, seeing what they do to seals!

Get any snaps?

harrykoonya's picture
harrykoonya's picture
harrykoonya Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 10:34am

Well I've never seen them down here before, and I've been surfing here for at least 12 years. I just assumed that they normally migrate past the coast in winter, but I don't know much about their typical migration patterns.

I didn't take any shots either, I would have loved to have taken my brother's GoPro out with me though.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 6:56pm

Great story Harry.
Heres a vid on Facebook of Orcas chasing a boat going fast.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=651671094855327

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 7:28pm

geez that was good.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 8:40pm

wow awesome footage,would have been a blast being there.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 9:28pm

There was news footage the other night on the TV of them swimming in Bushrangers Bay near Cape Schanck. Some-one must have it on-line. Amazing footage on that Facebook site. Good find.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 24 Dec 2013 at 9:36pm

That would have been amazing to be there.