Twin fin fish - to pad or not to pad?

gilbert's picture
gilbert started the topic in Thursday, 1 Jun 2023 at 12:16pm

Getting a new Jim Banks 5'5 magic carpet twin fin fish. Never surfed a twinnie before

What's the consensus here? Keep it pure withwax only, or pad it up?
I usually like a tail pad to duck dive with but appreciate that twin fish usually don't have tail pads.

For those who run smaller boards without tail pads, do you ever slip off the back either duck diving or surfing them?

May just take a bit of getting used to?

kooklife's picture
kooklife's picture
kooklife Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 2:48pm

I use tail pads. I like being able to put my foot back against the kick and know I'm in the right spot. They also adds strength (IMO) to that area of the deck giving it longer life.
Do what feels right for you, not what fashion dictates.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 3:13pm
Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 26 Jun 2023 at 3:24pm

Me, no pad, no need.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 27 Jun 2023 at 10:02am

Go old school. My preference is no tail pad as I like to ‘feel’ the board, also don’t wear booties (despite the cool Victoria water) for the same reason. You also need to make more subtle foot repositioning on a twinnie and I find this more difficult with a tail pad ( because of the grip)

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 27 Jun 2023 at 10:02am

Go old school. My preference is no tail pad as I like to ‘feel’ the board, also don’t wear booties (despite the cool Victoria water) for the same reason. You also need to make more subtle foot repositioning on a twinnie and I find this more difficult with a tail pad ( because of the grip)

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Tuesday, 27 Jun 2023 at 2:32pm

I've got one of those Magic Carpet boards from Jim that I bought second hand. Love the board. Came without a tail pad and I haven't found a need to add one.

Keep us posted on how the board goes. Should be like a rocket.