Fiji on a budget

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls started the topic in Saturday, 4 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm

I’m planning a surf trip to Fiji this winter, but the prices of resorts on Tavarua, Namotu and Malolo are way out of my reach. The only affordable place I have found is Funky Fish, but many recent online reviews say that it’s terrible and should be avoided. Has anyone stayed there recently? Any other ideas for affordable accommodation near the Mamanucas?

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Saturday, 4 Mar 2023 at 2:43pm

I’m planning a surf trip to Fiji this winter, but the prices of resorts on Tavarua, Namotu and Malolo are way out of my reach. The only affordable place I have found is Funky Fish, but many recent online reviews say that it’s terrible and should be avoided. Has anyone stayed there recently? Any other ideas for affordable accommodation near the Mamanucas?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 4 Mar 2023 at 3:24pm

Wait until you add on your Daily boat cost to the Surf - $
-------------
https://www.swellnet.com/comment/551637

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Saturday, 4 Mar 2023 at 3:27pm

If you could somehow get there and spend a few days getting to know the local crew in the villages, help them out with a little work, you'll most likely make some connections and they're usually super accomodating to cool travellers. You'd have to be willing to go back to the basics though but everyone knows everyone once you're in the Fijian family. Plus you get to live the full Fiji experience.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Saturday, 4 Mar 2023 at 6:46pm

What i should add to the above post, is that 99.99 percent of the boat drivers out to the reefs are all Fijian. And if for whatever reason they can't get you out there due to being under the restrictions of a resort, they'll more than likely be able to hook you up with someone landbased who has a boat and surfs there regularly, who you can chip in on fuel with. There's more than one way to skin a cat over there, and this is a way well overlooked by most travellers and way more flexible and fruitful.