Working OS / Bali? And internet

joakse's picture
joakse started the topic in Thursday, 29 Dec 2022 at 10:06am

Im looking to try to work from OS for a month next year. Luckily I can go full digital nomad and only need good internet and a laptop to do my role. I do need to ensure that I have solid reliable and fast internet which wasn't my experience in Bali a few years ago. Can anyone confirm for me the best route to go down to ensure I have this in Bali or even if it is possible in Gland? I would love some concrete advice with providers and perhaps experience with wifi/5G or am I better to look at a villa with a good setup or even a working hub if there are some near waves. Any thoughts from this that have done it and maintained a pretty heavy internet use streaming data and video calls?

Appreciate thoughts as looking at a few options for the coming year

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 9:43am

bump...and good on you for the chance to do that.I dont have any answers though.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 10:15am

Bali is full of digital nomads + onlyfans chicks.

Hope this helps

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 10:57am

A mate was doing video calls on his laptop in 2019 at Lakey Peak.

I haven’t been to g-land since 2019 but the internet has always been pretty shitty there.

You shouldn’t have any issues in Bali these days.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 11:41am

Was in Bali all September/October and internet was good. Was not working but never had issue with video calls on WhatsApp, or general internet or streaming stuff on tv etc.

dazzler's picture
dazzler's picture
dazzler Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 12:39pm

My brother lives in Java, internet is rubbish, drops out most times we Face Time.

He still watches DVDs rather than stream.

Was hard for his daughter doing school during lockdowns. Imagine it would be hard to get a days work done

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 4:22pm

Why do ,most indonesia locals love whats app so much? is it faster? less data or something? all my indo firends tell me to get it but i cant be bothered.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 5:06pm

Encryption/privacy is what I’m lead to believe GS

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 5:24pm

WA = encrypted

...the app of choice for terrorists across the world... Im half joking - but it is actually true!

...or was... before fuckerberg got his hands on it...

not saying thats why indo's love it, but i dare say it may be the attraction, in a country where one has to be super careful what they say online...

I hate apps, think they are the most overated, data stealing, sneaky useless parts of the internet ever, I delete every app my phone will allow me to every time I buy a phone.

but I have WA, super handy and easy to use, with some good features other messenger apps don't have ...and its encrypted! ...still... I hope...

I find the internet in bali is often better than in many parts of oz. ...but I only use wireless, Im thinking with an actual cable thingy connection you'd be fine...

besides the service providers dropping out that is, which can be quite often. and the power dropping out too, which is also quite often, probably more often in some parts, not a huge problem, but might become one, if your employer thinks your just kicking back on a tropical beach...

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 5:17pm

Whatsapp owned by facebook. I highly doubt much is private on there.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
dazzler wrote:

My brother lives in Java, internet is rubbish, drops out most times we Face Time.

He still watches DVDs rather than stream.

Was hard for his daughter doing school during lockdowns. Imagine it would be hard to get a days work done

My wife familys place in Java internet is pretty good, id expect it has a lot to do with local and house lines ect.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 8:35pm
groundswell wrote:

Why do ,most indonesia locals love whats app so much? is it faster? less data or something? all my indo firends tell me to get it but i cant be bothered.

Used WhatsApp for all telephone calls and text messages in Indo. Think works out cheaper than standard calls or texts. Also video text call are good. Use it a lot in Australia. Not real concerned re privacy as if any one following my chats they would be pretty bored....

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 9:40pm

Thanks fellas seems worth it then.Just not much of a mobile phone sort of person.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 10:37pm

In my experience the better the place you stay at the better the connection is provided.

A friend of mine receives income from playing professional online poker in Nusa Tengarra for many years now.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Friday, 6 Jan 2023 at 10:39pm

Also I would be asking these questions in a expat Facebook group, plenty of people willing to help.