The MTB Thread

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Monday, 9 May 2022 at 11:08am

I've been meaning to start a mountain biking thread for a while and now is as good a time as any.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 11:12am

You're still a young fella, Stu. Don't get jaded too soon.

Stoked to hear you're going home. All the best.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 11:18am

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 9:23pm
seaslug wrote:

Geez Stu, good to see you will be going home today, rest up and stay safe.

X2

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 10:46pm

Been away a few days so just caught up on this news. All the best Stu to you and your family. hope for a full and speedy recovery. With all these big MTB stacks you seem to be becoming SN's very own Evel Knievel !. I've busted some ribs too, years ago, nowhere near as many as you, takes time and hurts but they come good, you will be right eventually. All the best.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 5:46am

That’s some story Stu. Life becomes more precious each time you nearly lose it.
I pray all your bits reconnect well and heal soon …God bless.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 5:54am

I used to ride bikes to meet women ,,,, mainly nurses. ;)

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 6:00am

Clever cookie!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 6:26am

arghh.. It's all fun and games until that angel of mercy leans over you caringly and starts talking about her wonderful life with some handsome rich guy.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 7:26am

@stunet - go well mate. All the best for your recovery and I hope the spark for MTB stays alight. Looking forward to the report after your first ride back.

scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 12:31pm

All the best for the recovery Stu - Do everything possible to avoid a chest infection for the next month or so, think about quarantining yourself. When I had broken ribs I was told to take a big breath every hour to keep the lungs open. If you decide not to get back on the bike then maybe you can become chief photographer / videographer / shuttle driver if you want to stay involved.

Out of curiosity I tried to find what is the most rib fractures anyone has survived, I couldn't find an answer to that but suspect you'll be well up there. Any more than 6 at one time carries a significant mortality rate - something that I wasn't aware of at the time but definitely feel like I dodged a bullet looking back.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 5:18pm
scoopmaster wrote:

Out of curiosity I tried to find what is the most rib fractures anyone has survived, I couldn't find an answer to that but suspect you'll be well up there. Any more than 6 at one time carries a significant mortality rate - something that I wasn't aware of at the time but definitely feel like I dodged a bullet looking back.

Yeah right. Interesting. Over my stay in hospital I had a few different doctors come up and talk, not just about recovery, but also the extent of the injury. No mention of records but an obvious inference that I was lucky.

This afternoon I went out and looked at my equipment. Oddly, despite hitting something with my chest the damage to my helmet is at the back. So I think I've hit two things.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 6:30pm

Is it driving you nuts not knowing how it happened Stu? I’m thinking it would be frustrating?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 6:47pm

Jeezus Stu, sounds like you have pinballed through boulders or something at top speed.

Croquet is a great game apparently.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 7:04pm

A crashcam might have been handy to review the incident..
I thought GoPros were standard issue for MTB riders.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 18 Apr 2023 at 7:25pm

I've got a GoPro but can never be arsed using it. It would've been handy this time as it's frustrating not knowing what happened. It'll make returning to mtb harder. How do I know what to avoid?

And Steve, when I saw your son sprawled beside the track earlier in the season, his two mates were doing their teenage best to lift his spirits.

"It's OK, " one of them said, "we got it on GoPro."

OzChopper's picture
OzChopper's picture
OzChopper Wednesday, 19 Apr 2023 at 12:19pm

Long time lurker, first comment:

Wishing you a speedy recover Stu. It looks like you did a pretty good job of banging yourself up.

Concussions are a weird thing to get over; some are quick while others have a lingering malaise about them.

Get well soon,

Reidy

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 21 Apr 2023 at 1:34am

I can't see you giving it up Stu, you've got the bug. For digging. You'll just start dreaming up flow trails you can build! I've been riding solo a lot here in Adelaide since arriving a few months ago (similar to Woollo btw, tons of trails along the hill front and all the good stuff is unsanctioned. Fox Ck is highly over-rated) and there's a lot of loose rock. I dunno why but it scares the shit out of me to think one day my kids might have to deal with me unconscious on the trail.

Anyway, get well soon. I'm taking the piss but it sounds like you fell out of the chairlift!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 5:17am

How's the recovery going Stu and did you get any closer to working out where it all went wrong ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 8:52am

[quote=tubeshooter]How's the recovery going Stu and did you get any closer to working out where it all went wrong ?[/quote]

Slow. I'm not cut out for incremental recuperation; as soon as I can move a bit I want to move a lot. So I have to be careful not to overdo it. Still a lot of pain but I'm getting much better at managing it. May even knock the painkillers on the head next week. Could be a few tough days, we'll see.

And also, nah, my memory hasn't returned, not even slightly, so I don't think it ever will.

Been shooting the local the last few days. Catching up with crew in the carpark which is great for my head.

Not an ideal direction today but good conditions:

marcus's picture
marcus's picture
marcus Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 12:58pm

wishing you well and best of recovery mate

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 1:01pm

Thanks a lot, Marcus.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 5:12pm

I can relate to not being cut out for incremental recuperation. I made a lot of injuries worse than they needed to be by 'soldiering on'.
Taking it easy is not always as easy as it sounds.
Good luck with it all.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 5:57pm

Great to see you up and atom and getting out and about Stu. If you meant to post more pics above it seems something went wrong?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 6:51pm
Westofthelake wrote:

Great to see you up and atom and getting out and about Stu. If you meant to post more pics above it seems something went wrong?

Thanks, WOTL.

Not sure what you mean about the photos. Can you not see them?

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 7:05pm

Yeah I thought it was just a glitch but I can't see the photos either. Just small circles with a line thru them where the pics should be.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 7:14pm

I can see all photos stu , looks like a great day was had by a few .

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 7:14pm

Can only see ? marks in blue squares for me

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 7:17pm

That's weird. I'm gonna run one as WOTD tomorrow - my first ever! - so you'll get a taste of it there.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 8:22pm

Good stuff.
The below is what I see
Screenshot-20230509-201126

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 9:16pm

Funny boy Stu. Glad you are on the improve.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 1:56pm

Hey Stu good you’re on the mend, any thoughts of getting back on the horse?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 2:12pm

TBH I'm just not thinking about it. What I do know is that next season I want to visit the section of track where it happened.

Will I be on a bike?

I don't know.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 3:02pm

Fair call Stu sounds a solid plan

fuhrious's picture
fuhrious's picture
fuhrious Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 4:04pm

I think we should all go with you Stu so you can talk us through the experience. We could fill in the gaps for you.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 4:29pm
fuhrious wrote:

I think we should all go with you Stu so you can talk us through the experience. We could fill in the gaps for you.

Could be the most fantastic crash story ever.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 7:12pm
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 7:21pm

Ha ha...check this one. Put sound on and listen to the end.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 19 May 2023 at 11:54pm

Ah yes Alex! He's got a compilation of iPhone clips of the attempt, the guy at the bottom almost got his mattress under him and almost got collected by the bike haha. But it was a classic school holiday build, on steroids. The main problem is that the landing they dug out was way too short. His front wheel landed perfectly in the middle, so he had a chance of riding it out, until he rolled over the knuckle in the landing/ run out.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 9:29am
stunet wrote:

Ha ha...check this one. Put sound on and listen to the end……

Hah hah, full cheer squad. Gotta love the amp of the grooms. That will be one they will talk about at the bar years later.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 15 Jul 2023 at 6:43pm
simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 16 Jul 2023 at 5:56am

jeez i just cant understand how guys have accidents on their MTB's ........eh Stu .....i mean what could go wrong ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 26 Jul 2023 at 11:09pm

Saw this and couldn't believe the skill, fitness and focus, especially over 40-odd minutes.

Then I saw this one.
Totally mad.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 7:49am

Well im exhausted from watching that .......time to get the fat e bike out and take on the beach....after a peppermint tea of course !

Cant believe the reflexes or how casual the spectators are .....what a buzz ...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 8:06am

I cannot get 30 seconds into one of those POV MTB vids without feeling intensely queasy- just too much visual information being thrown up at odd angles and very disorienting.

Took my son and his mate back of Tweed last weekend and couple of hours later got the dreaded phone call.
Mate had overshot. big jump and badly broken his leg.
Ambos, fireys etc etc.

Screws and a metal plate and a spell on the sidelines for 4-6months.

Won't be easy for a 14 year old.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 8:32am

@Andy,

Not that it's much different to any other enduro bike, but my latest rig, a Nukeproof Mega, is named after that race. Originally it was built for it. So much chance in that race, getting taken out by another rider at the start or a lapse of concentration at just the wrong time. Looks like great fun though.

@Steve,

Tough break for the young'n. Hard way to learn a lesson.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 8:35am

Yeah Stu, so the first thing my young bloke does is go up in the paddock on the ridge to try and build an even bigger gap jump.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 8:42am

Well, if his mate overshot a jump, then of course he's gotta build one with a bigger gap.

Makes sense.

To a 14-year old.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 10:51am
stunet wrote:

Steve, when I saw your son sprawled beside the track earlier in the season, his two mates were doing their teenage best to lift his spirits.

"It's OK, " one of them said, "we got it on GoPro."

still piss myself when I read this

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 12:12pm

Steve try this one from 1.05.
Guaranteed queaze, and maybe some vertigo to boot.
Check out 4.46 - wtf :)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 27 Jul 2023 at 2:03pm

A day in the life of the Beast from Birdie Beach, Jack Moir. Occasionally referred to as the 2021 World Enduro Champ.

Spruiking clothes and beer, after surfing and riding, during hs downtime from the EDR circuit.