Canetoads

Troppo's picture
Troppo started the topic in Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 10:48am

Anyone else noticed a real drop in canetoad numbers recently?

I would have thought after all the rain / floods etc we would have a population jump, but hardly seeing any around.

Is it just me? Any theories?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 12:25pm

Bump...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 12:41pm

Cane toads need constant access to moisture to survive. Instead of drinking, they absorb water through the skin on their belly — from dew, moist sand or any other moist material.

- If forced to stay in flooded conditions, cane toads can absorb too much water and die.-

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 12:56pm

Except the big bugger in my gardening boot the other day was well and truly alive. Did the spider tap tap shake and out he comes. Still plenty here but it’s hilly so plenty of respite from the deluge and lower ground. Thanks Udo I never knew that

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 2:45pm

How does everyone kill their toads? I freeze. Is there any better ways to send them off?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 2:48pm

9 iron

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 3:38pm
seeds wrote:

9 iron

humane suggestions, are probably better :)

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 4:17pm

A mate from Newy said he found a squashed one in his driveway a few weeks ago. Reckons there has been a few down that way over the last few years.

I knew a bloke who bought cane toad 'leather' and made all sort of products out of them , pens, wallets, key fobs etc etc. The funniest one I saw was a large whole toad that was turned into a coin purse , complete with zippered lips. He used to sell shit loads of the toad products too and they weren't cheap.
Found this clip of a toad hat that goes for $600.