Surf Fitness and Equivalence

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone started the topic in Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:10pm

So the Missus got us the Rip Curl GPS for my birthday and I gave it a burl today. I ended up paddling 14.5km over two surfs. I then plotted that on map around the parts for some visual reference i.e one pier in the bay to another. After seeing it on the map, it got me wondering what I got out of that fitness wise and if or what equivalent I could compare that too? Is surfing just cardio with some light arm strengthening and a little bit of legwork?

Aside from being active at work (Carpenter), if I didn’t surf, I’d be rooted cause exercising has no appeal to me and am just lucky enough to be able to surf somewhat regularly.

Im interested to see down the track, once I have more data (sounds weird/wrong), to be able to compare and see if I’m getting adequate exercise or meeting the norm, getting enough steps, whatever the bar is haha.

Any thoughts or feedback would be great!

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:12pm

Think I have to comment or it doesn’t show up in recents. Cheers y’all!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:21pm

Paddled or travelled (inc waves surfed) 14.5kms ?

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:35pm

Paddled 14.5km and surfed 2.6km

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:40pm

14.5k paddle is a farkn long way ...how many hours did those 2 surfs add up to ?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:52pm

"what equivalent I could compare that too?"

That's 2/3 of a paddle to Rottnest, which I did once. Betcha far more interesting catching waves as you go and no time to feel lonely.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 8:21pm

14.5 km is a hell of a paddle! Start at Portsea and end up at Gunna?

During the depths of lockdown in the city I did a roughly 10km flat water paddle in the bay (on a high volume board). That took about 2-2.5 hrs with a few short stops. No idea how that would translate to say running?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 8:34pm

Wish I was that paddle fit NB. Good effort!

“That's 2/3 of a paddle to Rottnest, which I did once.”

VJ just wondering about the circumstances of this? Something you planned or spur of the moment type thing? What sort of board? What happened at the 2/3rds part? I’ve sailed that stretch many times over the years. Not so sure I’d be keen to solo paddle it these days, not that I could anyway.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 8:42pm

Paddling accompanying swimmers, Rabbits. So planned and practised for. The practise was 10km runs from Swanny up to Trigg which I used my 9'6 for.

For the actual paddle and all the chop out there, I upfoamed, to a windsurfer iirc.

The 2/3's part was 14.5km / 22km, roughly 2/3 the distance... in the actual paddle/swim the greatest difficulty was at the end - about 1km from the island the current came around the south side of Rotto and we all just stayed in one spot while still trying to get there, exhausted, for 45 minutes.

First beer at pub afterward knocked me out.

All that considered, it's a great effort by Nick to go 14.5k in recreational surfing!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 8:49pm

Good stuff VJ. Yeah that last stretch of ocean near Rotto with swells & currents crossing over can get very exciting on its day. Usually the last straw for any green faced ferry punters who think they’ve just about made it!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 8:53pm

Reckon your gps is out Nb?

If each wave you caught was 100 metres long, and that’s being generous for the peninsula, you caught 26 waves at 100 meters?

And if was a 100mt paddle back out then you’ve done that 140 times!

Might be right but they seem like massive numbers.

(I realise that’s a simple way to look at the numbers…)

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:19pm

I feel ya. I went back to the map plotter and it kindaaaaa checks out but even so it still doesn’t add up does. 38 waves (21 first 17 second, each around 1:30hrs) let’s just say average wave is 100 meters = 3700 meters. 1st surf I was paddling between two peaks but second was very straight forward. Though surely you’d think the paddling should be just above the distance surfed? You paddle out, catch wave repeat? With a extra paddling here and there.

When I looked on the map I got sorra pier to rye pier…and back again! Thought it was too good to be true. A second point of reference was Portsea back carpark to miami/moana one way!

In saying that, I don’t have any idea and was already questioning how this piece of technology could even work to begin with..

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:21pm

Paging Dr Fanning. Explanation please!!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:27pm

Sort this Ridgeway

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 7:21pm

Back in 2003 I was on a survey run on the Nullarbor/Roe plains just as the Coalition Of The Willing went in looking for those weapons of mass distraction. Point being, all the GPS that I was told would make it a cinch to find my sites - well, the GPS satellites became otherwise engaged and I couldn't get any sense from the reader. I had to do all the finding manually... sometimes they are needed elsewhere.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 7:57pm

I occasionally surf with Dawn Patrol app on my watch to see lengths of wave, speed etc and one thing I’ve noticed is that if I don’t stop and finish the session on reaching the shore it will include the trip home as a long wave if I just walk at a constant pace, or as a number of waves when I do the run/walk/run thing. It’s pretty obvious when I look at the session on my mobile because it shows tracked rides along the footpath LOL

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 9:08pm

I have a Garmin Instinct Solar (Surf) and it runs with 3 different locational programs - GPS (30), GLONASS (23) and GALILEO (22) meaning there are a total of 75 operational satellites available to locate me (Nov21) although GLONASS is Russian owed so it might be tired up atm. . Not sure what other watches use; solely GPS???.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 6:13pm

I wear an oura ring, it provides some pretty good insight, maybe you could check that out as an alternative

https://ouraring.com/?g_network=g&g_adid=574855521052&g_keyword=oura&g_a...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 6:31pm

Pretty cool tech Mick.

I myself wear a Prince Albert and if it's pointing to twelve o'clock, all is right in my tiny little universe.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 7:53pm

Best to stay away from strong magnets then Zen.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 8:01pm

Gosh, is that the time...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 8:09pm

Be some funny shit go on if Stainless steel was Magnetic..

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 10:12am
udo wrote:

Be some funny shit go on if Stainless steel was Magnetic..

If we are going to be pedantic.
https://www.australwright.com.au/technical-data/advice/stainless-steel/s....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 10:24am

Yep
Zen check your Barbell for Magnetism .