When the world gets back to some kind of normal…what does everyone want to do?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill started the topic in Saturday, 25 Sep 2021 at 10:30am

2 for me.

1. I want to get back to Japan. We normally spend 3 weeks in Japan every year….I miss the place and desperately want to keep exploring the country.

2. Jetboating. I have a boat in NZ and try to get back onto the rivers a couple of times a year. Ripping up NZ rivers is such a privilege and so much fun. 2 years since the last trip, hopefully not another 2 years before I can go again.

What’s everyone else want to do…

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 5:05pm

Great river..super fun to boat up.

This clip shows how cool jetboats are.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm

Get barrelled in Indo

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 7:00pm

Just go to Indo, i think two month trip is on the cards to make up for lost time.

It's going to be so crowded though, so i just need to prepare myself for the crowds and pick my times and just enjoy all the other aspects of Indo, just hanging with friends, watching the sun set while having a bintang, sitting watching the Indo life roll by, sit and dribble crap in Bahasa Indonesia that is now getting real rusty.

I think i might keep the wife happy too and do a week in Java with the family.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 7:03pm

Visit my mum. Take my boat out and catch a few fish with my bro and go for a surf with my other bro and some of my old crew.

Have a nice pie.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 8:34pm

I’m just planning on chilling here. You’d assume that the world will be inundated with desperate tourists so ill zig where they zag and try and hide here. Get deeper into the local scene.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 9:43pm

Yeah I think I'll be chilling too until the initial wave of stampedes subside . Bracing for impact locally, then I guess I'll start to put the feelers out again regarding travel once that shit storm blows over.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 3 Oct 2021 at 9:45pm

Get a haircut first off was looking of going to Hawaii for January
but accomodation appears to have tripled or even quadrupled on the
Nth Shore so thats insane will probably wait to about April and go
to Bali.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 6:30am

Take my Qld grandsons fishing ...they love riding in Pa's boat...they like to go fast...like Pa.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 7:16am

I just want my old job back

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 7:47am

3 month road trip through NZ.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 10:30am

Japan with the kids and Indo

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 10:40am

Roystien,will you adopt me?

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 11:07am

Ha Troppo if you can contribute something might consider it!
I'll just be grateful to be able to do any of those things that we were able to do so easily prior, but can't do know.
Will be interesting to see what the post pandemic world looks like. I'm not sure what to think of our current trajectory...

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 12:26pm

"Japan with the kids and Indo"

Indonesia or Indo Dreaming?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 12:56pm

Im the baby sitter :D

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm

Get back to Mentawai time and waves, recon the place will be over run unfortunately which may rule out some of the A grade waves still plenty of B graders that will have lesser numbers should it all light up.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 2:42pm
I focus wrote:

Get back to Mentawai time and waves, recon the place will be over run unfortunately which may rule out some of the A grade waves still plenty of B graders that will have lesser numbers should it all light up.

Where in the Mentawai’s do you go?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 2:45pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm

I just want to go to Sydney, see my family and catch up with my mates to do some recording. We had just started rehearsals when the lockdown occurred. I've got one video of a song with the lead guitarist I might put up.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 3:29pm

Go back to WA so my Ms and I can see our mums, family, friends. Maybe stay over there a while, go back to formative coasts. Flit backward and forward between there and Vic for a bit, walk the earth, like Caine in Kung Fu.

And a blank run up to surfblanks in Sydney would be good fun too, meander down the south coast on the way back and look for novelty east Vic waves as well on way home.

Go 4x4ing with my boy, that should be a laugh.

Open businesses here or in the UK or both - have spent the time setting these up in lockdown. Get tubed at Thurso, surf the West Country again, West Wales. Azores, Spain/Fra/Portugal.
Watch as the kids follow their career paths, maybe grandchildren within a few years, too. That would be mint, I'd get to be immature again/again/again.

I'd like to do Falklands/Patagonia/South Georgia one day. Maybe fly/boat to all the Bass St islands... Shape some new boards. And yes a haircut.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 3:31pm

sounds epic VJ

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm

Yep, hope it comes to pass, as I do for all of your hopes and dreams :)

What about you FR? You're on a roll with the writing at present.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 3:49pm

Just feeling the urges start to get some tropical tubes VJ.

10 days at G-Land would probably do this mutt.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 5:04pm

If they are to continue with 8 days quarantine then I can’t see the Chinese visiting anytime soon. The beautiful people from Singapore who come down for the weekend of clubbing will also be giving it a miss . Ozzies on school holidays definitely won’t be going . It will be interesting to see how long this lasts .

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 5:16pm

Planning to have Feb 2022 in Europe (assuming the covid situation remains stable over winter). Will be focused on the alps rather than surf, got enough waves over the last 18 months to keep me happy for a while.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 5:36pm

I might FIFO and get a selfie in front of the Wuhan Institute of Virology

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
freeride76 wrote:

Just feeling the urges start to get some tropical tubes VJ.

10 days at G-Land would probably do this mutt.

Don't talk dirty to me like that FR76

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 7:23pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Go back to WA so my Ms and I can see our mums, family, friends. Maybe stay over there a while, go back to formative coasts. Flit backward and forward between there and Vic for a bit, walk the earth, like Caine in Kung Fu.

And a blank run up to surfblanks in Sydney would be good fun too, meander down the south coast on the way back and look for novelty east Vic waves as well on way home.

Go 4x4ing with my boy, that should be a laugh.

Open businesses here or in the UK or both - have spent the time setting these up in lockdown. Get tubed at Thurso, surf the West Country again, West Wales. Azores, Spain/Fra/Portugal.
Watch as the kids follow their career paths, maybe grandchildren within a few years, too. That would be mint, I'd get to be immature again/again/again.

I'd like to do Falklands/Patagonia/South Georgia one day. Maybe fly/boat to all the Bass St islands... Shape some new boards. And yes a haircut.

“Watch as the kids follow their career paths”

Amazing isn’t it…I just love watching my kids grow and choose career paths and work to get them. Nothing prepared me for how much joy there is in this.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 7:41pm
Roadkill wrote:
I focus wrote:

Where in the Mentawai’s do you go?

Telescope's area (north end of Sipora) is my favourite nice range of waves but a heap of new camps now, last trip was at Playgrounds stayed with locals which was great but it was busy still got waves once size picked up. Will either head south or may even end up north where Indo's friends camp is or further north again.

Really depends on reading what the crowds are doing.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 7:49pm

The Ments pulling into a fun B grade wave

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm

Nice, I focus : ).

B grade the new A grade!

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 9:12pm
tubeshooter wrote:

Yeah I think I'll be chilling too until the initial wave of stampedes subside . Bracing for impact locally, then I guess I'll start to put the feelers out again regarding travel once that shit storm blows over.

This makes it sound like you expect crowds to increase at your local as international borders open up, rather than decrease, which would mean covid hasn't resulted in your waves being 3-4 times more crowded day in day out, and for that, I am envious. Worst thing to happen to the surf here.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 4 Oct 2021 at 10:08pm

@bigredcouch ,,I expect crowds to increase at my local mainly because of domestic travel from predominantly Sydney and Melbourne, More so than usual and local bookings reflect that.
We do/did get a few international travelers here but most of them don't come here for the waves , they're more the packaged coach tour types.
As far as Aussies heading overseas to catch a few waves and thus reducing the chances of have those people clogging my local line up ,yeah sure I think will help, but not enough to offset the crowd numbers here.
Surfing crowds have been way up here through the lockdowns , especially noticeable on your generally slower weekdays. It's a reasonably large LGA and a lot of people have used the down time to go surfing , can't really blame them for that.

Turns out I may not be chilling at home anyway as I've had a couple of recent calls to do boat deliveries up and down the eastern seaboard. Only usually do one or two year at best normally , they don't generally pay well but they are fun to do. Seems there's a bit of a demand for delivery skippers in the near future and the fees have gone up , so who knows. I go where the wind and tide takes me.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 11:54am

sounds like good work TS.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:38pm

There’s a few more spots in China I want to explore. I also want to go back to Japan and Taiwan. It would be great to do all three countries in the one trip.

I have some family in Spain and Switzerland I haven’t seen in a while.

And I have a good friend in Kenya, from my uni days, who is keen to show me along the Kenyan coast. He’s into diving and has never surfed but after explaining what a surfer looks for he thinks he knows some spots!

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:44pm

gsco - If you are in Kenya and have not been to the Masi Mara I would highly recommend it . Hot air ballooning over the migration was a highlight for me .

I need a haircut .

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 1:19pm

Hutchy thanks for the recommendation.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 1:47pm

gsco my wife is from Fukuoka and, before covid, we were planning a trip the length of Japan, then ferry to Vladivostok, trans-Siberian to Lake Baikal and fly to Moscow and St. Petsrsburg. Not sure when it will happen but we are still keen.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:01pm

gsco - I also went to the Amboseli ( to see Kilimanjaro ) Park . Great for elephants but the MM was SO much better for the animal diversity and shear numbers . I went in 1999 .

Also went to Vic Falls and did the white water rafting down the Zambesi . Tried to Duck dive ( straight into ) the raft on No 9 which saved us . Other rafts went over the top and were all the people were thrown out the back . If you Utube it you will know what I mean . Went to 3 camps in the Okavango Delta ( wet , dry , wet/dry ) . The MM was the highlight .

Trip of a lifetime . Felt safer walking in the wild than in the cities .

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:04pm
gsco wrote:

There’s a few more spots in China I want to explore. I also want to go back to Japan and Taiwan. It would be great to do all three countries in the one trip.

I have some family in Spain and Switzerland I haven’t seen in a while.

And I have a good friend in Kenya, from my uni days, who is keen to show me along the Kenyan coast. He’s into diving and has never surfed but after explaining what a surfer looks for he thinks he knows some spots!

Spent a bit of time in Kenya (father in law lives there and has a house on the coast). There’s some epic kitesurfing there but not much in the way of surf. There’s small beachies along most of the coast but nothing worth dragging boards half way round the world for. It’s the sort of place that there’s so much to see and do surfing ends up pretty far from mind anyway

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:08pm
blindboy wrote:

gsco my wife is from Fukuoka and, before covid, we were planning a trip the length of Japan, then ferry to Vladivostok, trans-Siberian to Lake Baikal and fly to Moscow and St. Petsrsburg. Not sure when it will happen but we are still keen.

BB, have you surfed Miyazaki? Super spot.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:30pm

Yeh I spent a bit of time there a few years ago and had some great waves. Very cool place.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:38pm

Thanks guys.

Hutchy definitely taking note of your suggestions.

Geek yes my own investigations seem to indicate that Kenya isn’t really a “surf trip” destination but my mate is (Indian) Kenyan and has quite the list of places he wants to take me, so I wouldn’t be too fussed bout the wave quality, and I don’t mind diving.

BB that sounds like an epic trip.

Actually reminds me of a journey I used to dream about of riding a motorcycle from Beijing through to the bottom of India.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm

gsco - my suggestions only relate to the wild life . You have a big advantage knowing a local . My brother went to Zanzibar and I think did some diving .

Getting to know the people of Kenya would be another dimension .

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 8 Oct 2021 at 7:53pm

A good clip that shows the fun you can have. https://www.youtube.com/