Couple and young girl threatened with handguns at Cabarita

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Saturday, 26 Jun 2021 at 2:47pm

Been a big police presence at Caba today.. and they've only just revealed why... Apparently it was an attempted roberry.

Didn't ever consider the Tweed Coast to be that kinda place.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 26 Jun 2021 at 2:50pm

Not much info around right now but I imagine the nightly news bulletins will be all over this.

I imagine there'll be a few less vanlyfers out there for the next few days too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 26 Jun 2021 at 3:32pm

Got a link Ben? Was it some vanlyfers getting hassled?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Jun 2021 at 6:16pm

Sounds like a pretty heavy situation (have had that myself before) and no time for flippancy, but is Browntown in this area? It seems a dangerous place with all the choomas around.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 26 Jun 2021 at 9:24pm

Think it is VJ.
Reckon choomas love a bit of meth.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 2:38pm

Choomas on meth are the worst kind.

My chooma was loaded to the gills and turned mellow, lucky for me. On the spot and with pistol in face, I made the smart decision not to go through the crowded lunch room as I was taken hostage, and thus spared many of my co-workers the whole anxiety and PTSD stuff. This kind of thing fucks you over.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 2:48pm

What the hell is a chooma?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 2:57pm

Try this

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 5:38pm

Righto. I’m chooma enlightened.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 5:58pm

hahaha. Come on Benno. i lived in Hasto's 10 years ago and Caba was already a suss zone then after hours on a weeknd. Had multiple experiences of dealing with rowdy groms along that whole stretch. Tweed Breed. Yew!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 6:14pm

Attempted robbery with a handgun is a couple of step ups from rowdy groms.

That being said, Caba's recent Insta-popularilty has been off the charts in the last few years, though it's sometimes a blessing in disguise. Carpark is chokkas but as everyone is suntanning in the cove, the lineup is much less busy than you'd think.

Ironically, there's nowhere to park.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 6:27pm

Work takes me to Hastings on a weekly basis, heaps of signs of meth around there.

The place got the front door kicked in and all the cigs stolen a week ago.

Cops caught the guys breaking into the pharmacy in Caba.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 6:58pm

Chooma's, haha WTF!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 7:03pm

It's more that the Browntown location in the series really looks like it could be Kingscliff or Caba, with Goldy skyline to the north... and choomas are pretty destructive of people and property a bit like users of a certain chemical combo.

FWIW Chooma Island 2 is a religious experience, have a watch.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 7:08pm

Definitely is VJ, Goldie to the north, Mount Warning visible inland in the series.

Chooma Island 2 is all-time, absolutely classic.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 7:26pm

Oi Benno, i reckon the attempted robbery with a hand gun is the Caba crew grown up....or something along those devine paths. Tweed breed. Only a 603 ride away.
There were some pretty full on confrontations along that stretch. I'm not exaggerating . I grew up in a small coastal town where violence amongst young crew was an accepted thing, (you know the town benno..the mighty Crown!) but this place is/was a step way above. .The thing that baffles me is the irregularity of incidences such as this. We always had a saying about Caba. It's a sick place up to the high tide line.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 7:45pm

Hmmm. I've got some pretty good insights into what happens at a local level here, but armed robbery is well above the assumed threshold.

Don't get me wrong, all towns have issues, most of which usually remains out of sight of the greater community, but I've always though guns were confined to the Gold Coast's fruitier regions.

Perhaps I am mistaken.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 8:28pm

Nah fair enough. Maybe things have changed since i lived there...but it was rough as guts around the 2006-2010 time. I vividly remember chasing crew into the caba headland bushes on saturday nights who were trying to break into my chicks unit, And being in the surf and watching crew go from car to car trying car handles.....front yard confrontations with gangs of homeboys at Hastos, beachfront confrontations with homies at Hastos headlands....but it was only ever on the weekends. Weekdays....a different town,,completely. Could have been Yorkes Benno!

SA Wetdog's picture
SA Wetdog's picture
SA Wetdog Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 6:14am

Monday morning a couple years ago, went for a surf down the beach at caba. Stupidly parked at the last bush carpark coming into caba from casuarina, people used to dump a lot of rubbish there. Fun waves perfect morning till we came walking up the path my mate heard a smash so we ran up the path to just see dust from a car leaving and a big boulder thrown through the window and my wallet stolen. Luckily we must have interrupted them as our phones, camera ect. Were still there. I think they have bitumised that carpark now. Cops didn't give a shit and told me to ring a report line based in Sydney

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 6:50am

I think Caba is somewhat of a natural traffic funnel from SE Qld.

Coming off the M1, it's a bit weird to navigate back into Kingy, because it's easy to miss the Chinderah turn-off, or it feels like you're backtracking from Cudgen, so most people keep on going straight at the first set of traffic lights. 

From the main road, Casuarina doesn't have any obvious beach pathways (well, it kinda does now following the recent opening of Grand Parade, but travellers won't know it exists) so the next stop is Caba. And once you get to the point, there's a big carpark with a lot of short walk options and a nice play area for the kids, so it's an ideal spot to pull in.

In the short time I've been here, there's certainly been a shift in the kind of non-surfing daytrippers. Even just yesterday afternoon, heading to Cudgera Creek for a quick fish with the family, and we came across a couple of families who'd parked their cars under the bridge, and then promptly drove off leaving piles of rubbish across the sand (which we cleaned up on their behalf). Kinda staggering in this day and age, to be honest. But not exclusive to the Tweed.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 6:53am

Rubbish is everywhere now. It’s a disgrace.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 28 Jun 2021 at 7:37am