H4 FCS

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak started the topic in Saturday, 31 Oct 2020 at 10:47am

Hello all , has anyone tried the H4 fcs fins ? I’ve seen reviews on you tube and read a few articles but just wanting to hear from someone that’s independent. The materials and finish looks first class but is it all just hype ? Expensive so they would want to be good and give something extra to warrant $229 retail.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 31 Oct 2020 at 11:33am

A few sets of second hand as new showing up
saving $ and postage is about $10 Auswide
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coffs-harbour/surfing/fcs-h4-thruster-fi...
Seller will take $155 for this set of Mediums.

Max Wax's picture
Max Wax's picture
Max Wax Saturday, 31 Oct 2020 at 7:22pm

A few people i know have really liked them, but a bit of mixed feedback i think? I saw Harrison Roach riding them briefly in one of his stab vids... didn't talk about the fins much as its mostly a review about boards. Starts at 6mins

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 3:11pm

H4s are the real McCOY!

More speed and drive than normal fins,its a NICE sensation.

Are they worth the 230bucks,YES!

They dont make a difference in weak waves like the H2s did,but get a bit of power behind them and its very noticeable.

Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 4:32pm

If you put a ruler to the inside of the H4s, you'll notice a mistake: the manufacturing process causes the mold to cup and make an inside (concave) foil -not supposed to be be there, should be flat! The fins are made in a hockey stick factory, and therefore the manufacturing tolerances aren't so.. precise. Keep in mind, a 1mm inside foil (error) is equivalent to 1/3 of the thickness of the foil.

I'd be tempted to flatten the inside of the fin to see if it improves efficiency.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 5:33pm

So FCS used Swiss Eng and Robotics and got a 1mm error....?
https://stabmag.com/hardware/leaked-internal-documents-reveal-fcs-h-seri...

Here's a bit more about them

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 7:42pm

Hard not to notice the similarity of Mitchells ‘Switch Blades” that have been on the market a few years before the H4s. Shows that he is still ahead of the game after all these years. Made in Australia too

http://www.outerislandsurfboards.com/switchblades/index.html

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 7:48pm

Switch Blades are nice looking fins but the only similarity is the Tip Shape ?

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 11 Nov 2020 at 9:21pm

Seems like there is. Just watched the youtube link and looks like there’s more going on with the H4. The guy calls it “torsional flex” which ironically is how Mitchell describes his V stringers and flex tails

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Thursday, 12 Nov 2020 at 10:06am

Can't really comment on the h4's as I haven't tried them. But think there's a bit of misinformation about "normal" fins flopping over in their flex. If they are foiled well and have a rigid base and made of good materials their flex characteristics should behave in a "torsional" manner. A lot of it is marketing guff delivered by an employee of the company. Realistic expectation would be a minimal percentage improvement in performance, in better waves, noticeable to high level ability surfers. So if you've got the money to throw at it, knock yourself out.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 12 Nov 2020 at 7:58pm

last thing I’d be spending money on. I’d be running for the shoulder in anything over 6 foot anyway

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Thursday, 12 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm

Yes Udo,save yourself 4 bucks on Amazon.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Thursday, 12 Nov 2020 at 9:30pm

Flip lid, the switchblades look a bit like H4s but thats all,The performance is vastly different.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 13 Nov 2020 at 7:25am

4 bucks ? or $66
FCS - $230 shipped
Amazon-$150 + $14.28 shipping- $164
Presuming the order price is in AuD ? havent used Amazon is that how it works ?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 13 Nov 2020 at 7:25am

The amazon price is in USD
It says $208.78 + $19.88 shipping when I converted it to AUD on their site.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 13 Nov 2020 at 7:28am

Ah yep i just clicked currency to AuD.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 13 Nov 2020 at 10:02am

Nothing to do with the H4 fins but I just got an email from FCS about their collaboration with Leatherman tools.

18 tools it has, almost everything a surfer could need, as long as you don't need to screw in an FCS fin.

Including a 2mm Allen key, it does not.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 13 Nov 2020 at 10:21am

What ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 13 Nov 2020 at 10:38am

You heard. No FCS key in an FCS collboration.

Product Features:

• Needlenose Pliers
  • Regular Pliers
  • Premium Replaceable Wire Cutters
  • Premium Replaceable Hard-wire Cutters
  • Electrical Crimper
  • Wire Stripper
  • 420HC Knife
  • 420HC Serrated Knife
  • Saw
  • Spring-action Scissors
  • Ruler (8 in | 19 cm)
  • Can Opener
  • Bottle Opener
  • Wood/Metal File
  • Diamond-coated File
  • Large Bit Driver
  • Small Bit Driver
  • Medium Screwdriver

Reckon the small bit driver would be about the closest tool, but I'd end up frustrated and hack at it with the 420HC Serrated Knife.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Saturday, 14 Nov 2020 at 7:04am

A swiss Army knife @ Leica prices!

Back to the fins, $230 is a big ask for sure but the enhanced sensation is worth it in my opinion.

Quad sets wont be far away according to my source.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Nov 2020 at 8:40am

And for FCS 1 ? not available
So i have to trace lug positions from FCS1 onto H4s and spend 10 mins with a hacksaw..

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Saturday, 14 Nov 2020 at 9:58pm

FCS 1 is obsolete.(but I'll have to grubscrew in the Switchblades,see below)

So next decent swell I;ll be having the H4s up front and Switchblades as the trailing quads.
Scenario 1.. smallest Switchblades(double foiled)
Scenario 2... 2nd smallest Switchblades(single foil)
Scenario 3....a combination of the 2 different sized Switchblades.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Nov 2020 at 9:16am

Grubscrew the H4s as well eh ?

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Sunday, 15 Nov 2020 at 9:51am

some people put a concave foil on the inside to improve performance. Hanalei have fins with a concave foil. The set they I have work well but an 'out there' shape and so don't know if it translates to a more std shaped fin

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 15 Nov 2020 at 12:35pm

Cheers for the mention of the switchblades. That'll work with the FCS1 which certainly isn't obsolete in my quiver.

Udo I thought about the hacksaw as well (cleaned up with router) but can't bring myself to do it...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Nov 2020 at 6:45pm

Cleaned up with a router....wtf for ?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 15 Nov 2020 at 8:39pm

Perfection. Satisfaction. OCD :)

Vince Neil's picture
Vince Neil's picture
Vince Neil Thursday, 7 Apr 2022 at 8:27pm

I have switch blades and H4. I was sceptical about switch blades so insisted on fcs2 fin boxes and rode carvers on my Michell Rae 7’0 reefer for a while. Great combination, nothing wrong with it at solid south coast reefs and Indo
Then I got curious and got switchblades and like the man himself said, they made the board come alive and I felt ashamed for doubting in the first place. Definitely something going on with the hatchet tip. The Mitchell Rae Is a magic board and feels like it will last forever, a bargain when you consider how fragile most off the rack boards are.

Then I got more curious and got H4s and tried them on a short board and a 7’6 semi gun and holy crap, drive and crazy precision and the right amount of release, it’s like the fin morphs and shows a different side of its character at exactly the right part of the wave

If they are that good then why isn’t every single pro riding them, who knows? Maybe I am full of it

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 8:23am
Vince Neil wrote:

I have switch blades and H4. I was sceptical about switch blades so insisted on fcs2 fin boxes and rode carvers on my Michell Rae 7’0 reefer for a while. Great combination, nothing wrong with it at solid south coast reefs and Indo
Then I got curious and got switchblades and like the man himself said, they made the board come alive and I felt ashamed for doubting in the first place. Definitely something going on with the hatchet tip. The Mitchell Rae Is a magic board and feels like it will last forever, a bargain when you consider how fragile most off the rack boards are.

Then I got more curious and got H4s and tried them on a short board and a 7’6 semi gun and holy crap, drive and crazy precision and the right amount of release, it’s like the fin morphs and shows a different side of its character at exactly the right part of the wave

If they are that good then why isn’t every single pro riding them, who knows? Maybe I am full of it

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 8:24am

Vince,you have to wonder how your Reefer would feel if the H4s would fit in it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 9:01am

Hacksaw.....

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 16 Apr 2022 at 12:16pm

noticed fanning was using his fins at bells......a lot of pros do, haven't seen one using those h4s yet

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 16 Apr 2022 at 12:41pm
simba wrote:

noticed fanning was using his fins at bells......a lot of pros do, haven't seen one using those h4s yet

Yes it’s a good observation simba , I saw koa smith gave them a bit of promotion and think ?? Mason ho might use them but probably just a paid promotion from both . I have a set and the material and quality is very good. I’ve used them on a custom tomo hydroshort and pretty happy with them but don’t think they are that different from my MFs in how the board performs. A pro would definitely feel the difference though .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 16 Apr 2022 at 12:48pm

After reading a review NC did on them i thought farrk here we go these things are the Ultimate in Fin Tech...Gamechanging ?

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Sunday, 17 Apr 2022 at 11:26am
simba wrote:

The facts are that ALL the pros have a fin endorsement deal that brings in plenty of $$$.

So why would they been seen using anything but their own fin$$$ ?

I have the H4s and the MFs, I use the MFs sometimes as the trailing quads.

The Mfs are ok but when ya put the H4s in, the board is TURBO CHARGED.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 7:18pm
Vince Neil wrote:

Vince are you still in Love with the H4s ?