Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 23 Mar 2024 at 9:59am

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 30 Mar 2024 at 7:23pm

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Sunday, 31 Mar 2024 at 9:42am

Hey VJ

O What a silly transport idea , O Bikes were ,

Our kids love playing Games , with this sort of stuff .

Our Street Art , is Off the Planet .

Hosier Lane , for example .

Somehow these Kids Tag , the Most unbelievably inaccessible Places , it's like they are Competing , 4 the Coolest ideas .

They Climb 10 storey buildings and paint the most amazing portraits :)!

Think Banksey , on steroids .

They of course , Loved Playing the O Bike Games and the "Dump an OB " was a hit , here .

We are on to Scooters Now .

Not sure Who is Funding these Kids Games , but our kids love this Creative Stuff .

We are always Cleaning Up after kids down here , but it's cool .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Mar 2024 at 12:09pm

Tech naivete + ideas of share-economy vs Australia's inherent kleptomania and destructive investigation of inanimate objects = very funny lessons being learned, again and again. Agree, it's onto scooters now.

By 2030 it'll be "what surprise can I leave in this 'transport as a service' vehicle for the next passenger?". Or trying to ghostie them using laptops to control.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 31 Mar 2024 at 10:35pm

hmmmmm...

so much material... but I'll just leave this here...

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 7:07am

Sypkan

A picture tells a thousands words and surprised there were thousands there , 4 the Marxist Feast Festival .

Quite a Classy group imho and entrance was Free so a Big Turnout .

We were hoping the Event was going to be in Sydney this year , 2 Spread the Love but couldn't convince them 2 Socially Distance themselves and Connect elsewhere .

Most Melbournians were having a Long Weekend with Family and went to the Football .

This Disadvantaged group received only a bit of Mutual Aide , to ensure a Solidarity Turnout and went 2 work , instead .

Melbourne sure is fn different .

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 12:50pm

Classy group you reckon.???….the entry may be free but not the ideology.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 12:53pm

I think just a pinch of Marxist ideology is worth hanging on to.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 12:57pm

Hello Opti

It was my poor humour attempt , as Classy was referring 2 Class Warfare and the Event needs Free Entry ( the guys T shirt 2 ) , 2 attract a bloody crowd .

They must have been serving free food and booze , 2 .

I don't like calling any group of Melbournians Rabble , so I didn't .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 1:25pm

The UK is F-ed thanks to 12 plus years of these lying Cunning Stunts. Good riddance to them all …. and why would anyone with even a pea brain vote conservative there or here ever again

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/31/survation-poll-analysis...

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 1:43pm

Only 4 1 reason guy :)

That Labor has been a bit Pea Brain , been pulling cunning Stunts on Us and have F-ed Up .

The Same reason why we change Both Parties , irrespective of Time in Power .

IF that IS the situation here , guess what happens mate , Albo WILL Fall , after just 1 term .

Maybe that's in the Guardian 2 , but doubt , it ?

Australia is nothing like , the UK !

We kick their arse !

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 5:25pm

Geez pops is there nothing you’re not an expert in and/or prepared to comment on? Take a good look at yourself FFS

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 5:31pm
sypkan wrote:

hmmmmm...

so much material... but I'll just leave this here...

https://twitter.com/filippakid/status/1774000841168687165

Thats scary and depressing, one that there is that many people there and two that they are masked up like it's 2021.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 6:14pm

In the 70s the marxist meeting would have been in a small smoky room with 50% of the people undercover ASIO spooks.

My, how things have changed! Now it is probably sponsored by a Soros funded NGO or two and the WEF has sent along a few guest speakers and maybe many listening intently wearing masks are actually ABC staff.

And .... ASIO is busy off trying to track down some "far right" pensioners selling dusty old Nazi memorabilia on ebay.

"a large portion of the official WEF website to such articles as “Does capitalism need some Marxism to survive the Fourth Industrial Revolution?”.

Owning nothing is so futuristic and equal.

In Klaus we trust.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 9:36pm

Guy Smiley! you're a Marxist! truly the gift that keeps on giving!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 1 Apr 2024 at 10:23pm

Haha yeah right. Keep on marxisting Guy.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 6:22am

A statement from Klaus, Guy and Albo…
WE ARE THE BORG…..you will be assimilated….your uniqueness will be added to our collective….resistance is futile…

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Apr 2024 at 8:03am
suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Thursday, 4 Apr 2024 at 3:06pm

The Lehrmann/Higgins circus keeps rolling along- https://www.youtube.com/live/g_poDFrnwPY?si=MWbzcUNg_46Hofso

sameaswas's picture
sameaswas's picture
sameaswas Friday, 5 Apr 2024 at 11:04am
andy-mac wrote:

This deal just gets better and better!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/02/poison-portal-us-and-uk-co...

Andy when we started the uranium export industry one of the iron clad prerequisites of the whole debacle was that ALL of the used uranium from oz MUST be returned to the supplier (thats s.a. or n.t.) and safely stored by the country of origin...no b.s.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 5 Apr 2024 at 10:25pm

It was national withdraw your cash day and I didn't even know about it because no news or social media apart from here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13269617/Aussies-cash-day-money...

Bankers reckoned not much difference to everyday use, well, Ms has been trying to get cash out of local atm and it's been skint last couple of days. Or giving all 20s. I think one of the big cash delivery companies is in administration too (had to survey one of these premises once, that was an eye opener...)

Cash has inbuilt privacy.

If they ever ban it I'll be bartering in junk silver :)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 9 Apr 2024 at 2:28pm

"Australia will need more than one LNG import terminal to safeguard east coast supplies and prevent a devastating shortfall, one of AGL Energy’s most senior executives says.

Australia’s east coast will see gas shortfalls as soon as winter next year under extreme weather conditions, and by 2027 the gap will be so large that there will be a substantial void, the Australian Energy Market Operator warned last month.

While the outlook has stirred extreme concern, Australia’s energy industry is split on how to resolve the issue. Some insist the country’s east coast has sufficient reserves and states and the federal government must unlock them through policy support, while others insist Australia will have to construct an LNG import terminal and ship in cargoes during peak periods.

As we know, it’s absurd. China and Japan are both over-contracted for LNG by much more than the Australian shortfall over the next decade. They resell about the same volume of LNG cargo that we need to keep to fill the gas shortfall at home.

We will literally be buying back our own gas."

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2024/04/should-australia-import-lng-2/

"7. Australia
Production: 162 billion cubic meters

Since 2009, Australia has added 113 billion cubic meters of natural gas production. Nearly all of Australia’s natural gas resources are located in the massive gas fields on the North West Shelf, “providing feedstock to seven LNG projects.”

Australia’s LNG exports have grown exponentially over the past decade as several new production facilities have come online. Today, Australia has the second largest operating LNG export capacity in the world."

https://investingnews.com/top-natural-gas-producers/

Pretty funny we might be exporting then re-importing our own gas, at a markup.

Slackjawedyokel's picture
Slackjawedyokel's picture
Slackjawedyokel Tuesday, 9 Apr 2024 at 4:06pm

From above: “Australia’s east coast will see gas shortfalls as soon as winter next year under extreme weather conditions”

Climate change now responsible for gas shortages! Hilarious….sort of.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Tuesday, 9 Apr 2024 at 7:41pm

Bloody Blind Freddy saw this Coming , years ago .

The Chinese , Japanese and Koreans BUILT , with Their Money , Gladstone .

These Countries have a decent Plan , to ensure Energy Prices are Stable , Long Term , in each of their Countries .

Australia's Energy Plan was always going to include Buying Back , the Gas that's Under our Continent , with 1 million people in 18 months , where ELSE can it come from ?

Quatar ffs ?

Our Plan also requires us 2 use Diesel , 2 make up the Gas shortfall , in Winter .

The Long Term Plan requires US 2 keep running the Coal Fired Power Stations , as NO fn Gas , again .

The Plan requires our energy prices 2 double , every 5 years .

Our Country atm , thinks we have a Decent Energy Transition Plan , 4 Our Future .

The Japanese think we are fn Crazy !

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 12:39am

https://x.com/blakandblack/status/1779494369051226509?s=46 The attacker is an Australian citizen 40 year old Joel Cauchi born in Queensland, he is not an immigrant https://x.com/calvinc59928628/status/1779497121219297467?s=46

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 9:03am

?si=NYkCblNrfuEeBAl7

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 9:58am

Couple of thoughts.

You'd have to be a sad, simple fucker to jump straight on the "immigrant" thing after something like that.
Seriously sub-normal I.Q.

And with regards to that ABC vid above, I'm trying to figure out why it really needs a 10 second trigger warning at the start.
Do producers see it as a sign of respect or an indication of gravitas?

I was listening to ABC's The Minefield the other day and the show was about "the moral obligation to avoid civilian deaths in Gaza".
No graphic descriptions, just meta-concepts for the most part, yet the show was prefaced by a trigger warning.

To be frank I find it kind of infantile and patronising in that very American way.
Probably counter productive if we want to have a rational discussion about these things but maybe that's the idea, emotion before facts, infotainment.
And then eventually, that structure for an intense story becomes standard, hegemonic.

Am I missing something?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 10:56am

Who was accusing immigrants? I didn't see that anywhere. Sure, there were concerns about a terrorist attack but that is different from just blaming immigrants.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 11:16am

It's in that first X link above.
I probably shouldn't have pointed it out, just let it die a quick death.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 11:16am
flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 11:27am

I'm not on X so I didn't see anything. How many of those accounts are even real, that place is full of troll farms.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 11:29am

I don't visit Twitter any more either, but it seems to be a cesspit for misinformation (even more so that it used to be), irrespective of whether accounts are real or not.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 11:55am
thermalben wrote:

I don't visit Twitter any more either, but it seems to be a cesspit for misinformation (even more so that it used to be), irrespective of whether accounts are real or not.

It went downhill fast , I don’t visit much either these days but still follow a few reliable sources . That link I posted from X had a good example of the type of information found on social that the guardian article was about .

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 12:28pm

We’re at a curious point in history where we watch significant contemporary events and issues play out through defamation cases. Contentious, society dividing ones.

First the BRS case, now Higgins / Lehrmann.

In most cases the extended judgements are kind to the neither participants or the media.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 1:45pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 1:48pm

“ Each tragedy that attracts global attention is now an opportunity for social media accounts to attract followers and revenue off the back of inflammatory claims, or to fit the incident into a predetermined narrative before the facts have emerged,”

It’s excruciating to see and highly problematic

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 1:51pm

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 1:53pm
suchas wrote:

Judgement given- https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-15/bruce-lehrmann-defamation-trial-j...

Bloody grub. Arrogant and stupid.
Now his next criminal trial for rape to come.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 1:57pm

Epic line from the judge:
“Justice Lee mused that:

"Having escaped the lion's den, Mr Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat."

Just like Roberts-Smith… who was probably not going to ever go to trial for war crimes after the amount of time lapsed etc.

There’s a certain arrogance among them that makes these verdicts more satisfying, in the absence of criminal accountability of course

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:00pm

We know who paid for BRS. Who would be so stupid to fund this creep’s defamation case.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:00pm
etarip wrote:

We’re at a curious point in history where we watch significant contemporary events and issues play out through defamation cases. Contentious, society dividing ones.

First the BRS case, now Higgins / Lehrmann.

In most cases the extended judgements are kind to the neither participants or the media.

I suspect Christie Whelan Browne is going to be included in that last sentence.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:02pm
seeds wrote:

We know who paid for BRS. Who would be so stupid to fund this creep’s defamation case.

That's the million-dollar question....
Whole thing stinks, be interesting and absurd to read Janet Albrechtsen's take on it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:14pm

...and you guys really think higgens case doesn't stink?

...BOTH sides in that one have presented the most scurrilous sordid versions of reality...

such is modern politics...

and media...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:16pm

Yeah it stinks.
I think my original post clearly called that out.

Very few come out of these with reputation intact.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:22pm

I honestly cannot identify a single media outlet in the current landscape that doesn't engage in this contemporary game of hyperbolic bullshit and blatant ommision...

even 'independent' outlets that love to (self) claim journalistic integrity, like michael west, are so balls deep in this new game they seem to have lost any capacity at all for self awareness...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:30pm

MW has lost me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it - you’ve summed up why.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:33pm
sypkan wrote:

...and you guys really think higgens case doesn't stink?

...BOTH sides in that one have presented the most scurrilous sordid versions of reality...

such is modern politics...

and media...

Yeah, a bloke is tuning a girl all night, allegedly on the gear and drinking along with buying her drinks.
Offers to drive her home, but then decides he has work to do in the early hours. He then leaves the girl he was going to take home naked on a couch... Sure she stripped off by herself to get a good night sleep ey.
This same individual is facing a similar case in Toowoomba.
Mmmmm nothing to see here folks.
If he had used the defence that sex did occur and was consensual, then she regretted he may have had a case.
Anyway, in my view it looks like Lehrman is getting what he deserves. Bloke should have left it where it was after criminal trial and cut his losses.
Now who funded Lehrman? That is where it gets interesting in my view.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 2:39pm

Edit @ Syppy, Regardless, I fail to to see how Justice Lee’s comments in his findings are exaggerated.
andy-mac I’m interested in the money man too.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Monday, 15 Apr 2024 at 3:34pm

Submissions for costs need to be in by Apr 22. Could be revealing.