The United States(!) of A

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 27 Aug 2020 at 11:12am

Septic Tanks are going to Septic Tank

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 8:26pm

Surfers can be way too toxic sometimes..im getting too slow to my feet and might just watch from now on or ride a lid sometimes..sell all my "all the gear and right boards for the right locations but no skills any more so no idea" im officially a hodad...just jog, ride my pushy to the breaks but no photos as im still a blowin after seven years of joking and surfing with my welcoming and funny true local friends but toxicity of crowds sharing one large pizza amongst 50 hungry men and internet or pub arguments just doesnt seem worth it even though its not that cold here in winter besides about 4 days in july of 2' C and cold desert easterlies..i dont even know if i can still surf gnaraloo on a lid any more but lids dont take much skill or time to refresh...besides less than 1% of bodyboarders ever becoming up there with Mike Stewart it takes no skill so i might try carnarvon if i cant get my place fixed soon and just bodyboard gnaraloo...i took all my valiums and drank 6 beers in an hour after a long break...Thanks for your time i might go to bed.stop the toxicity you bunch unless its fun. im having a relaxing but depressing time falling asleep

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 8:57pm

Groundy how many Valium and what strength mate ??

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 8:58pm

Take it easy groundy, it's just static, background noise. Look after yourself.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 9:00pm

4 5mg vals 6 beers its not a suicide attempt or anything dont get worried...i was just blabbering

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 9:08pm

Yeh im with ya...
New day tmoro ..some exercise and saltwater and good tucker and more exercise..

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 9:19pm

Yeah all the best Groundy. There's always another wave waiting for ya!

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 9:53pm

Groundswell, don't know you from a bar of soap, but from what i see on here I know you're a good person, all the best mate, look after yourself.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 10:20pm

Groundswell really enjoy your stories here at SN look forward to hearing more of them.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Sunday, 3 Jul 2022 at 11:13pm

GS, slow it down. breathe deeply, think about waves...

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 1:17am

GS, I don’t know you but I love your stories like many others here. You’re only 44 mate. Still young ( I’m only a couple years older than you), don’t give it away mate. Don’t listen to the white noise, Lose the weight, stay focused and fall in love again.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 7:05am

I've been loving reading the life and times of groundswell and the recent US debate in this thread, as well as all the other contributions from everyone in these forums.

It's also great to see many of the contributors in these forums that I got accustomed to during covid now getting out and about, travelling this wonderful planet again and experiencing the many wonders of life.

I wish there was something that could be done to help groundy see that every waking moment is a gift from the earth and an opportunity to start again and start doing the things you want to do the most in life and live the life you most want to live.

Having just returned from around 2.5 months in Europe, mostly for work purposes, I was reminded again of how effective it is to just pack everything in, sell all one's possessions, cut all one's ties with other people and the life situation and habit one is currently stuck in, and just jump on a plane to a new country, new culture and new set of challenges, and let the universe decide one's fate and destiny.

I'm always amazed at how the human mind and body responds, at the unexpected things that happen and the unexpected people one meets, and at the new path that develops.

A quote from one of my favourite movies:

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 8:42am

GSCO, great contribution and I totally get where you're coming from. That's the part I love about setting off to a new country, place, state etc.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 8:53am

Indeed. Travel is a gift.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 5:12pm

Sorry to bum everyone out last night and thanks for all the kind words. I just need to surf more and excersize more at my age. Never had to excersize for surfing in my thirties or twenties but these days i do , especially on strong meds. There are a lot of good surfers in this town, some still charging in their 50's and even 60's. Jakes is a lot harder to surf than it looks in videos and doesnt suit a bodyboard really so its not easy to get it wired on a bodybaord before standing up.
One of the hardest parts is knowing where to sit since the shack marker on the beach was washed away also paddling out is harder than anywhere else ive been. Slippery slimey rocks and urchins etc and if you jump of out back in the small right spot you cant see sets coming so might get in the way of someone after jumping off or rip out your fins on the reef or get cleaned up like many do and get pin balled back and forth.
One local i wont name laughs at all the tourists who come here with 6'3's or whatever and says "that boards not meant for here" sometimes with a reply of "well i got 14 second barrels at desert point on this board"...he just t laughs and says "my granny could get a 14 second at desert point, that boards not meant for here".
Anyway i slept untill 2pm missed my day shift and feel a bit bad i had anyone worried last night

Thanks again for kind words etc.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 5:25pm

Good to see you back, go surfing.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 5:29pm

Good stuff, gsco. I've done it a few times, both by myself and later with my wife. It's not about having all these things to choose from, it's how making a choice empowers you. You go from mere potential and being an unfinished being to creating something real, and that is almost transcendent.

Groundy, I'm not the most disciplined person myself, but you really do need to make some rules in your life and follow them. All the best from me.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 5:41pm

Groundy, glad you’re OK mate. Keep positive. I prefer your other ‘groundy after dark’ stories!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 6:13pm

Me too.

That one story that only lasted on here a few hours. That's how myths are made.

Courage is...

Admitting that Eat. Pray. Love. is one of your favourite movies.

That takes balls.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 7:04pm

Coupla thoughts.

Turning yourself around isn’t easy it actually tends to be hard work.
As far as I’m concerned it’s about developing good habits even if that takes six months or a year or whatever.
Not easy but you’ve gotta push through if you’re serious.

Also the only people I know that say “I’m gonna put it out to the universe” are privileged middle class and upper middle class types with a safety net.
For a lot of people it’s not an option for them and they can’t afford to take the risk.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 8:46pm

"Also the only people I know that say “I’m gonna put it out to the universe” are privileged middle class and upper middle class types with a safety net.
For a lot of people it’s not an option for them and they can’t afford to take the risk."

sounds like half of canggu...

searching for enlightenment and... well something...

on $200 a day yoga retreat

sponsored by daddy's trust fund

salt of the earth types...

'connected', 'conscious', ...and terribly high maintenance...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 9:15pm

Groundswell, glad you are ok, love your stories. Got 10 years on you mate and just passed through your neck of woods, unfortunately only had 2 days in Kalbarri so did not get to surf (car issue had extra 6 days in Carnarvon unplanned which blew it). Just be kind to ya self!

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 10:43pm

I will never, never, admit that ‘Eat, pray, Love’ is one of my favourite movies.

Sorry Zen.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 4 Jul 2022 at 11:38pm

Don't apologise to me BF. You have to read gsco post above. He's the EPL fan.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 8:06am

lol

what's with all the Eat Pray Love haters...?...can't believe it....!

Point of my post was:

goundswell is obviously a really cool and likeable fella who deserves all the best in life.

How about exiting the desert and current life situation to a new state of Aus, job, circle of friends, surrounds and lifestyle? Maybe a vibrant city on the beach like Sydney or the Goldy with women on tap and ok surf? Or a nice coastal NSW town with a pleasant natural environment and good waves in the area? Somewhere healing.

Anyway, just a thought I've had a few times...

Re putting it out there to the universe, I think I recall once writing somewhere in these forums that at one point in my life I did exactly that and ended up on the street for a short period with no job, money running out, recently broken up with a girl, fallout with family, etc..seemingly no hope...definitely no safety net apart from the dole... Had to take some very basic steps and focus on the absolute essentials needed to survive - food, shelter, job. It worked out for me but luckily drugs and alcohol were never part of the equation, mostly just my own stubbornness... Made me realise what's important in life.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 9:25am

Good on you gsco, your point was appropriate and well made. That said, I’m with Zen on the whole EPL thing, soz.

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 9:40am

If u want to hear about eat,pray,love just ask groundy about going out in kings cross and meeting his friends from wellington.Best swellnet story ever!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 10:33am
groundswell wrote:

Surfers can be way too toxic sometimes..im getting too slow to my feet and might just watch from now on or ride a lid sometimes..sell all my "all the gear and right boards for the right locations but no skills any more so no idea" im officially a hodad...just jog, ride my pushy to the breaks but no photos as im still a blowin after seven years of joking and surfing with my welcoming and funny true local friends but toxicity of crowds sharing one large pizza amongst 50 hungry men and internet or pub arguments just doesnt seem worth it even though its not that cold here in winter besides about 4 days in july of 2' C and cold desert easterlies..i dont even know if i can still surf gnaraloo on a lid any more but lids dont take much skill or time to refresh...besides less than 1% of bodyboarders ever becoming up there with Mike Stewart it takes no skill so i might try carnarvon if i cant get my place fixed soon and just bodyboard gnaraloo...i took all my valiums and drank 6 beers in an hour after a long break...Thanks for your time i might go to bed.stop the toxicity you bunch unless its fun. im having a relaxing but depressing time falling asleep

Groundswell. Don’t you go taking the easy (or not so easy, probably) exit from this world. Where am I going to get my morning chuckles from ? If you haven’t realised by now that , you are one of Swellnets most cherished family members, you are extremely honest and more often than not leave yourself open to ridicule or mild criticism. But nobody here is going to judge you for what you do or say because why would we, you put everything about yourself on-the-line. We’ve all got shit going on in one form or another . You can get back to your halcyon days of surfing or body boarding, you are 44 years young fella, I’m close to 60 still manage 2-3 surfs a week on a 6’2” board, keeps you alive and young mate. Don’t forget what Dick Brewer said recently ‘A surfboard is the best toy you’ll ever be given in life’, so go play with it. Besides, how am i going to get a read on what’s going on over their in the West. Your, humour and demeanour is GOLD, don’t throw it away. You still haven’t replied to my post awhile back. ‘How’s that diet going’?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 10:55am

yeh good advice gsco

a lot to be said for putting yourself out on your arse... which doesn't sound as romantic or alluring as 'putting it out to the universe' ...but same same... similar?

kalbarri is a beautiful spot, with obvious attraction, but those one horse desert towns can all be a bit same same... one trick pony one horse surf towns...

and if you are not getting what you moved there for, you may well just be becoming too much of a creature of habit in a rut...

so many cool places to go in oz, especially on the east coast, and the chick factor are just the sweetest icing on the cake

tough time to move in oz though, with housing etc. as it is... but at the same time, there's not many times in our history when you could pretty much walk straight into a job in towns like noosa or byron...

if I was a bit bummed out, not really getting waves, and not really tied down, I'd be off up the snow I reckon. once again, not many times in our history any mug could just walk into a snow job...

Im not much of an experienced snowboarder, so don't really know, but Im thinking all those cold cold southerlies and above average precipitation (to say the least) makes for a good snow season....

and the snow bunnies!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 11:17am

100% Syp.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 12:27pm

Mmmm... snow bunnies. It's like unwrapping a box of chocolates.

I reckon a surfboard is the second best toy you'll ever be given. You've already got the first- It's a Willy and you can play with it as much as you want.

See snow bunnies as mentioned above.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 1:34pm

Groundy i think you are perfectly suited to Vanlife [12mth trial ]
you dont want for much in life ..a basic no frills existence ..thinking about how you described a unit you had with milk crates as furniture reminded me of a vanlife basic build vid i watched recently
Was a Merc Sprinter Tn 1 model 5 cyl Turbo Diesel LWB High Roof
One wall in the back was milk crates Cable tied together as your storage /open cupboards
A portable Lpg 2 burner stove 2 Plastic 20 ltr containers for water
Bed was a Self inflating mattress on a sheet of ply up on milk crates
Max flo Fan in the roof...basic but comfortable would suit you
Van purchase and fit out well under 7k...whats that 6 mths rent ? im thinking your Servo work is just a top up to DSP....dont you ever think theres anything wrong with that drawing payment either...thats what its there for
i think you should pull the pin on where you are as the boys above have said..probaby a stagnant...have a break can always go back
give van life a trial..you have your Sparky skills to set up a good little Solar setup
Now O.S travel has opened up there some gd fully kitted vans being listed for Sale if you wanted to go down that path...
Fuel is a bit of a killer atm but those Sprinters pull around 12 -15 LTS per 100 Ks ...even a tad less if you Cruise on 80 kmh
---------
Zen...the best Toy you have ever been given.........Wonder what Drouyn thinks looking down...

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 4:10pm
udo wrote:

Groundy i think you are perfectly suited to Vanlife [12mth trial ]
you dont want for much in life ..a basic no frills existence ..thinking about how you described a unit you had with milk crates as furniture reminded me of a vanlife basic build vid i watched recently
Was a Merc Sprinter Tn 1 model 5 cyl Turbo Diesel LWB High Roof
One wall in the back was milk crates Cable tied together as your storage /open cupboards
A portable Lpg 2 burner stove 2 Plastic 20 ltr containers for water
Bed was a Self inflating mattress on a sheet of ply up on milk crates
Max flo Fan in the roof...basic but comfortable would suit you
Van purchase and fit out well under 7k...whats that 6 mths rent ? im thinking your Servo work is just a top up to DSP....dont you ever think theres anything wrong with that drawing payment either...thats what its there for
i think you should pull the pin on where you are as the boys above have said..probaby a stagnant...have a break can always go back
give van life a trial..you have your Sparky skills to set up a good little Solar setup
Now O.S travel has opened up there some gd fully kitted vans being listed for Sale if you wanted to go down that path...
Fuel is a bit of a killer atm but those Sprinters pull around 12 -15 LTS per 100 Ks ...even a tad less if you Cruise on 80 kmh
---------
Zen...the best Toy you have ever been given.........Wonder what Drouyn thinks looking down...

Udo. Bloody good idea. No one else to piss you off, go where you want, tick along at your own beat. Cheap to deck out basic living quarters. Freedom on wheels, photovoltaic panels on the roof, deep cycle battery under your floor.
As a mate of mine who divorced a decade ago, lives and travels around OZ said once, ‘Life is such that you should be able to pack up and be out of anywhere in half an hour’.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 4:31pm

And if Groundy wants go O.S . for a long stint just park it at a Mates or Mums and lock it up ...all sorted to easy..short trips leave it at secure airport parking that works out reasonably cheap
A Medium Wheelbase van plenty enough room for a single person....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 5:45pm

Or a snow bunnie or two.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 5 Jul 2022 at 9:27pm
zenagain wrote:

Don't apologise to me BF. You have to read gsco post above. He's the EPL fan.

Ha ha, read gsco, always read back as I don’t come in too often these days.

EPL, pretentious twattery of the most egregious order.

Groundswell, seriously, the choice is yours but at 44 there are many good, great years ahead of you. The love of your life might walk through the door tomorrow. You just never know.

Most of the time is a slog for everyone, honestly. Life is not a cakewalk, but you have reserves you haven’t even explored yet.

Honestly, talking from experience, the 40s are the hardest period in a man’s life no matter which road you travelled. Take care man.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 12:13am

1st July Happy Canada Day...
Authorities advise it's not safe to Surf Trains at 50km/hr without any Spray Cans for Air Brakes.
Transit authorities are furious that the Patriotic surfers did the bolt before tagging any carriages.
This is not on...our trains look super daggy...desperate need of some street cred!
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2478186

Happy 4th July ~ USA National Anthem

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 1:34pm

Thanks guys i'll think about all this especially the vanlife or even snow life.
Alfred my diet is back on to a couple of super natural meals a day and a few avocados on toast a day.
No suger in my diet, tried to cut out bread but i love avocados on toast too much.
a lot of water a day or green tea.excersize ride my pushy down to the post office every day and back and a few situps.
I have a gym room but dont use it..guess its just not for me.

Anyway back to the USA talk please..i feel like i ruined this conversation.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 2:04pm

Diet sounds fairly good Groundy any Seafood in it ?
Start your own Page..we can all chip in on Health Diet and General Wellbeing ETC
Proviso being you must Submit one of your Groundswell classic stories weekly
We all love them always a Classic read
When i think of Sea of Darkness movie and they talk of the Skull Cave and the going ons there i instantly think of you..he he
I love the way your so open about your condition ..thats fucking cool mate..

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 3:31pm

Thanks Udo, i'll buy a box a week of 14 cheap breadcrumb fillets birdseye from memory..not sure what breed they are. Ill start a health and diet thread, that's a good idea as long as a lot of other people also post their updates. i might run out of naughty stories though lol.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 4:01pm

Get some of that fresh tailor into you Groundy, heaps around Kalbarri

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 4:17pm

Groundy as Freeride says Fresh - Kalbarri = Seafood heaven..

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 4:18pm
udo wrote:

Groundy as Freeride says Fresh - Kalbarri = Seafood heaven..

haha was thinking the same thing.
That new thread sounds like a good idea too.
Are you a seafood fan Groundy ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 4:52pm

Yeah i love seafood especially good scallops,prawns, red emperor, mackerel and crayfish although my close mate made me like them less after saying they're the cockroaches of the ocean. still eat em though at Christmas.
Dont think ive ever had tailor but ill give it a try.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 5:00pm

Tailor and are actually great to eat if you treat them right upon capture. If you bleed them immediately and chill them down on ice or at the very least ensure they are kept moist (but not immersed in water) and cool out of the sun you have the makings of a very tasty meal indeed. There are a number of ways to best enjoy both these species of fish. They are great hot-smoked, used in fish cakes or eaten super fresh, either that night for dinner or for breakfast or lunch the next day. Try them either pan-fried in butter or on a hot BBQ grill. With a touch of pepper and salt, and a fresh garden salad, you will wonder why you haven’t tried this before. Absolutely no skill needed to catch them either Groundy.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 7:22pm

sounds good Udo thanks for the info, i'll give it a try.
Now back to USA talk, i made another thread for wellbeing etc.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 11 Jul 2022 at 3:36pm

'the west' needs to get real smart, real quick...

eat some humble pie, lose the 'exceptionalism' thinking, and reassess its stubborn attitudes to just about everything...

neoliberalism, nationalism, nationalisation... and sadly, energy policy...

fast... we're so stubbornly bogged down, by 'belief' and dogma from certain cohorts and classes, this horse may have already bolted...

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/3545188-have-sanctions-against...

DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 11 Jul 2022 at 3:58pm

The concept of the Nation State is being deliberately sabotaged.

Got to burn everything down in order to RESET.

Our very own Great Leap Forward.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 11 Jul 2022 at 6:50pm

sure seems that way...

"Why Is The U.S. Sending Its Emergency Oil Reserves To China?

Editor OilPrice.com

July 9, 2022, 12:00 am

U.S. SPR release were exported to Europe and Asia last month, including top US geopolitical nemesis in the global arena, China, even as U.S. gasoline and diesel prices hit record highs...

...About 1 million barrels per day have been drained from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve through October, at an unprecedented pace. The drain means SPR inventories fell to the lowest since 1986. US crude futures are above $100 per barrel and gasoline and diesel prices above $5 a gallon in one-fifth of the nation. US officials have said oil prices could be higher if the SPR had not been tapped, and for once they are right. Still, the question looms of what happens to oil prices when the US can no longer sell the SPR amid concerns of a real emergency: we know the answer and the Biden admin won't like it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/why-u-sendin...

absolute insanity

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 11 Jul 2022 at 6:54pm

"“The members raise the national security implications of using up our strategic fuel reserves recklessly while other countries stock up, especially China. China has been purchasing crude oil, including reportedly from the U.S.’s SPR, in order to build up its own stockpiles,” they added"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprint.in/world/biden-allowing-emergency-...

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 12 Jul 2022 at 8:17am

Hunter Biden to run in 2024. Has the media profile, family name, connections, new teeth...