How to get to Indonesia this year (2020).

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch started the topic in Saturday, 20 Jun 2020 at 8:43am

Swellnetters,

There must be some way to get to Indonesia this year? Can you jump on a boat from Darwin? Can you fly there on the pretense of something other than surfing? Gotta be something...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 10:33am

Classic - Scomo has "no plan in place".
Not true views. Scumo has a marketing plan. He just doesn't have a product. He's the political equivalent of the man behind the curtain at the end of Wizzard of Oz.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 10:54am

Scotty, our Prime Marketer, is the man with the plan.

A sales & marketing plan to out-Amway Amway.

He IS the Wizard of Oz!

Follow the yellow brick road...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 11:06am

Ah factotum, remember the days when governments went to the people at election time saying "this is our record, and this is what we plan to do in the future". Scumo campaign was based on scaring people about what Labor would do (mostly made up) and saying the LNP wouldn't do that. They had absolutely no plan and it shows big time.
Scumo's legacy will be mass corruption, hamstringing the ABC, privatisation disasters, a new agenda where they take responsibility for nothing, and fuck all else.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 2:45pm

How on earth did this thread end up in political bile???

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 9:10pm

I’m gross and perverted , I’m obsessed and deranged , I have existed for year’s and very little has changed , I’m the tool of the government and industry too , I’m the best you can get have you guessed me yet ? I’m the slime oozing out from your TV set . You will obey me when I heed you , with the garbage that I feed you . From Frank Zappa overnight sensation album ( the slime ) heard this as a 17 year old and never really trusted anyone too much lol the guy was different

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 9:13pm
bigredcouch wrote:

Swellnetters,

There must be some way to get to Indonesia this year? Can you jump on a boat from Darwin? Can you fly there on the pretense of something other than surfing? Gotta be something...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Aug 2020 at 9:13pm
bigredcouch wrote:

Swellnetters,

fitzfoo61's picture
fitzfoo61's picture
fitzfoo61 Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 1:15am

Fully agree!!!!Seen the same thing,frothing Q.landers and Sydney crew show zero respect for others in the lineup.Not all of them thou,been plenty of good crew from those areas also....It's tyhe kook,wannabe Russians(C&%t's) and "pushed in Jap's" that really take the cake....

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 4:29am

OMG I remember those lyrics Supa!
He was out there but on it- cupla of his kids names- Moon Unit and Dweezil.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 7:56am

How we getting to Indo in the next 6-8 months ya animals?

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 8:16am

You want Indo ?

Have a go to get a go !

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 8:27am

Start from Darwin - design proven to get to Rote.

Rafty

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 9:14am

I'm ready to crew for someone that has a yacht :)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 1:03pm

Could possibly be getting into Hawaii before Indo...Maybe Oct 1st for Aussies..

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 1:47pm

Cool, I'm happy with that udo. Thank you very much. Where's your yacht and what day should I meet you?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 4:18pm

No yacht brother...but a Aust - Hawaii travel bubble could be on....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 4:51pm

Id actually prefer elsewhere opens up to us Aussies before Indo, hopefully late 2020, early 2021 and some areas that work during during summer-autumn, PNG, Phillipines, Micronesia, South Pacific areas, Hawaii etc

As it might help softening the crowds that are going to happen in Indo when it does open to us Aussies, cause it's going to go from most uncrowded in 30 years to most crowded ever.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 5:11pm

I know udo, was just tryin' to crack a funny :)

Indo, any reports of resorts or boats going under?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 5:51pm

Indo do you really think it’s going to be packed if you have to pay $3000 for quarantine and 2 weeks of work ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 7:54pm

"Indo, any reports of resorts or boats going under?"

I know of about three boats charter boats for sale out of Padang, all the older local built timber ones.

I think it's just as much about the whole industry upgrading though, also a lot maintenance in those timber boats and they have a much cheaper lifestyle span than other boats.

Was in Padang last year and there is also a few old charter boats pretty much half sinking in the river.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 7:59pm

"Indo do you really think it’s going to be packed if you have to pay $3000 for quarantine and 2 weeks of work ?"

I did forget that facto , i guess we wait and see what happens, I hope im wrong though.

But also USA, Hawaii, South africa, much of Europe, Brazil etc might have much less strict measures.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 8:08pm

Look, I love going to Indo too, but shit, it's a very uncool thing to be doing during a pandemic. Quarantine is Russian roulette. Were you not paying attention to Vic, NSW, and NZ? Tourists heading OS for holidays is like putting another bullet in the six shooter.
But being young, you're not playing RR by putting the barrel up against your skull, you're pointing the gun at Nanna.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 9:22pm

Old people need to take responsibility for their own welfare and allow others to live their lives freely as they themselves had the chance to do

If you are a person in the vulnerable bracket - aged 65 and older -you need to realise that your health is your concern and accept that others are entitled to live their lives as they see fit.

If you’re scared ....hide inside. Don’t expect the world to forfeit their lives for your benefit.

Selfish boomers want the world to stop turning at their whim. Run and hide if you are frightened, Grandpa .

Let the kiddies dance .....they’ve only got one chance.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 23 Aug 2020 at 11:06pm

Its my guess unless there is a safe and widely distributed vaccine you can forget freely travelling around the world, pre Covid19 like, for years and that is of course if you can afford: quarantining both ends, the airfares and travel insurance assuming it is at all offered.

Will Indo or any other country for that matter allow tourists in from Nth America or any number of Southern American or European countries if in 12-18-24-30 months time Covid19 case numbers are still poorly managed? Again, its only my guess but I strongly doubt it.

The best any of us can hope for before a vaccine is travel bubbles between countries with well managed Covid19 strategies and reciprocal health care agreements e.g. NZ and AU.

Sorry folks there be no surfing Indo next year.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 7:13am

GuySmiley, plenty of Aussies surfing in Indo this year champ. Has to be possible next year - just gotta figure out how.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 8:16am

Id be extremely surprised if Indo didn't open to selected countries next year at some stage, Australia and NZ will be at the top of that list being close to Covid free (lets not talk about Victoria) even if we don't return the favour and allow entry to Indonesians, plus other places like Maldives are already open to tourist.

The risk of bringing in new infections for Indo from Aus & NZ would be extremerely unlikely, and I'm sure you will have to be tested at both ends and im sure testing will only get better and cheaper, Indo has already opened up domestic tourism with Covid test for flights.

The issue for us is obviously returning and that quarantine cost and i guess logically there is a limit on how many returning people they can quarantine.

Anyway the loop holes are already being exploited these loop holes are actually currently legal, they will either close these loopholes or they will be exploited heaps more next year. (already saw another resort this week advertising they can get you to Indo, so at least three advertising this option, i noticed the other day one claiming they can even get Aussies in)

I havent contacted those advertising they can get you a visa, but from discussions with Indo legal gurus, they have told me its not a temporary stay visa as i thought but actually just a visit visa (social visa) sponsored by a business for business related reasons, which can be something as small as a conference, seminar, training, exhibition, investment opportunity etc (BTW. plenty of Bali visa agents now offering the same deal)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 8:20am

Connect with Australian Lawyers Surfing Association
Peter Strain your man
Well versed with Indo / Malaysian Law...was Advisor to Sara Connor by memory

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 8:19am

Connect with Australian Lawyers Surfing Association
Peter Strain your man
Well versed with Indo / Malaysian Law...was Advisor to Sara Connor by memory

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 8:24am

...but the problem will still be, will fortress australia let you leave next year?

and guysmiley is on the money there

seems there's a few dodgy options available indo, but from what I've heard, you could still be reefused entry at the border. there is a decree issued of no non citizen entries to indo, until that lifts, people are using holes and connections in the system

holes that a grumpy border guard could just go... grumble grumble ...no...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 8:30am

Yep that's all true sypkan.

And if you got rejected from entry it could be very costly about 2K AUD for visa, plus flights and then you most likely still need to quarantine on returning even if you didn't get entry.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 8:34am

yep, yep

and all that after the head fuck of lining all your ducks up in the first place

its quite a process

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 10:47am

Crikey wouldn’t that suck Indo D

You’d be shattered

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 11:03am

even worse would be being stuck in transit, especially if oz doesn't let you back in if no quarantine space

I can't remember where, but there's a dodgy euro country that people are going to because they cannot be / or get into indo and cannot get home, no surf there Im guessing...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 31 Aug 2020 at 11:15am

Yeah I remember that, Belarus or something?

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 8:06am

So, I've had two mates leave Australia in the past week. Both were heading overseas to work and live and not return in the foreseeable future. They seem to think the AUS government will let you out if you're not coming back anytime soon.

One mate turned up to the airport with a ticket to London and no exemption. He'd actually had an exemption rejected a few weeks prior but turned up anyway. Said he'd spent more time living overseas than in Australia over the past 18 months (was able to prove this). His girlfriend is also English but they are not de facto or have shared bank accounts etc. The border security guys asked him about his rejected exemption, and my mate said he didn't have the correct info at the time. Then apparently a computer crashed at an opportune moment, and he was handballed between a number of different staff at the airport and was eventually given a code and was allowed to board the plane. He's not a surfer but is planning to get from England to Bali, where he has been living.

My other mate has been living on a large, well populated island off England with his chick for a year or two - she is from there - and he applied for an exemption with proof that he had a job to go to, an English residence and his partner is from there. The Aus govt replied saying he didn't even need an exemption, he'd be all good to board the plane.

Sounds to me that if you can prove you have a legit job lined up overseas, are planning to live there for the foreseeable future and not return to Australia you can probably get out.

Anyone have any similar stories?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 9:45am

Family friend got very lucky, and managed to get a flight back to the UK for family reasons (father's heart attack). Return economy tickets were apparently in the $10K range, plus $3K of hotel quarantine expenses at each end. 

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 9:59am

Struth.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 10:03am

I jumped through so many hoops in terms of getting all the documents together to try and get in to Australia, including the huge feat of getting a special visa for my wife fast-tracked (sub-category 600 or something) as no regular visas were being granted at the time. I was trying to come in on compassionate grounds. I'd secured return bus. class flights and we had taken covid tests and were negative. We were stymied at the 11th hour as we could not get an exemption to quarantine at home back in Oz and my stay was going to be less than 14 days,

Begrudgingly, had to accept the umpires decision but seems a bit grating when people of note seem to be able to come and go freely.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 6:48pm

"Bali more than doubled COVID-19 cases in the past week"

Bali’s recent surge in coronavirus cases are gaining spotlight at the national level, with the Indonesian COVID-19 task force noting that the spike reflected more than a hundred percent increase from last week’s numbers.

“The highest surge in [COVID-19] cases is in Bali, where it saw more than 100 percent increase, from 565 cases [the week before] to 1,134 cases,” spokesman from the task force, Wiku Adisasmito, said during a virtual press conference yesterday.

For more than a week now, Bali has reported more than 100 daily cases. The additional 164 cases reported yesterday brought the provincial tally to 6,549. That includes 12 deaths, the highest number of daily death counts reported in Bali thus far.

I Made Ady Wirawan, who heads Udayana University’s School of Public Health, yesterday doubted the official numbers, saying that it may only be “a portion of the real number of cases.”

He also said health experts are unable to estimate the peak in COVID-19 cases in Bali due to “low rates of testing.”

Nationally, Indonesia reported an 18 percent increase in coronavirus cases this week, after recording more than 3,000 daily cases for more than a week now. As of yesterday afternoon, the national caseload stands at 200,035."

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/bali-more-than-doubled-covid-19-cases-in-t...

You would expect they will not open to tourist if Bali is out of control with cases, so Covid numbers in Bali are pretty important in regard to when Indo opens tourist, so not a good thing that they are increasing so fast there.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 9:48pm

The GOAT has managed to get there!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 9:54pm

Double barrels with Betet

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 9:54pm

Yeah, how’s that work?! Sponsored visa?
Here he is enjoying uncrowded Ulus, the lucky prick.
https://m.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 11:41pm

Kelly and other pro surfers could easily get in on non tourist visas under the excuse of promotion type work, photo shoot, video shoot, appearance at an event or business etc with the help pf sponsorship from a business or just an immigration agent.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 5:54am

I saw that Strider was over in G-land the other day

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 7:02am

Bali ‘s covid numbers are now soaring , opening Bali to domestic tourism resulted in 3000 People a day arriving , mostly from Jakarta and Surabaya, two of the biggest hotspots , speaking to family and friends by phone in north east Bali ( one of the driest and poorest regions ) singaraja hospital is full and overflowing , not with covid patients but people sick with malnutrition, Bali is in for a long hard ride and unless a vaccine is found covid numbers will be big for years.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 7:47am

"...opening Bali to domestic tourism resulted in 3000 People a day arriving , mostly from Jakarta and Surabaya,..."

probably the dumbest idea ever to test run opening up. or was it just desperation?

either way, knowing indonesia's systens and its flaws, this was always not going to go well

such a shame really, after the balinese acted early and diligently, locking down at a local level with good outcomes, all while their central government was still flip flopping and lying, a bit like oz really...

DudeSweetDudeSweet Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 8:16am

I don’t think the Indonesian Government had much choice but to open Bali to domestic tourism. As Supafreak said , people are suffering through impoverishment brought about by the destruction of Bali’s single strand tourism economy . This will kill as surely as COVID.

The Australian Government is in the same boat now that they’ve overseen the reduction of our economy to mass immigration Ponzinomics, the only difference being our government is willing to temporarily wallpaper over our poverty with welfare support until the Ponzi can resume with open borders.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 8:44am

all true, as I said ... desperation, or part of the plan...

some interesting stories getting around about bali crew returning to the farm and their village / agricultural lifestyles, not by choice obviously, but doing what ya gotta do...

most interesting is how many acknowledged that bali was super crazy pre pandemic. high churn, high turnover, hyper tourism ran amok...

they all said they don't want to go back to old bali, they want tourists to return, but not like before

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 9:28am

Always get in there eh Dude? The one track mind runs on....and on.....and on.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 16 Sep 2020 at 10:39am

It's exposed some big inequalities that's for sure. My friends with farms to go back to and land to work on are fine - bored and anxious but busy enough with work and no threat of going hungry. Others that have no land to go back to (nearly all of them because a man somewhere in their family gambled it away), they are desperate. No money coming in, nowhere to go, terrified of the disease, floating around in the doldrums with no end in sight. It sounds horrible.

As much as I'd love to be there too, does it seem a bit irresponsible to anyone else for some people to be flying in and out for fun at the moment, or for the well established expat-owned businesses to be going ham on the advertising to convince people to jet over there?