Show us your photos

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm

In semi lockdown I'm finally sorting through a lifetime of photos and inspired by what Craig and Andy recently posted I thought why not.
We travel a fair bit and there has to be some crackers in the vaults.
Good if we follow the Swellnet tradition of not naming or being too obvious.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 1:46pm

Haha, 200m drop off the side of that, it was the only flat ground.. and with another mate in there, going nowhere fast. Well that's how I justified. Here's the drop..

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 1:48pm

cheers Craig, thought it was a type of lily.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 1:48pm

I get vertigo just looking at that pic.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 1:53pm

Still sparse after the fires eh?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 1:55pm

Yeah that's the Grose Valley, got badly burnt but the recovery on this side and down below is very healthy. Lots of green and sprouting and much better than I thought. The hotter fires over towards Bells Line of Rd and Mt Wilson may not be as healthy, will have to revisit them soon.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 1:58pm

Lockleys pylon side?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:02pm

Nailed it.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:03pm

@Andy, not only the sandflies on Hinchinbrook, but the bush rats were straight out of ninja school. I had my food bag suspended from wire hanging off a piece of rope between two branches with pieces of beach wash debris stuck on the rope either side of the bag.... didn’t help. spent the first night under ninja rat assault and at one point had to grab the rat off the bag and throw it away.

I think it was five nights walk from north to south, so good.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:23pm

Walking the Thorsborne Trail would be awesome.
I boat camped instead.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:31pm

It's a beautiful part of the world hey Andy & Distracted :)

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:37pm

Magic place alright Andy, and awesome pics as always Craig.

Years ago I got to go on a 5 day rafting adventure down the North Johnstone river. The only way in was by helicopter, and everything (including human waste) was transported out on the rafts. Incredible scenery. Now where did I put those (pre-digital) photos?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm

Wowza, what an area!!

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 2:50pm

Ha! Think I’ve got almost the same pictures Andy! Great memories.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 3:17pm

The original Infinity Pool that last shot Andy - what a country!!

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Thursday, 10 Dec 2020 at 5:00pm

Crikey......I feel a severe bout of homesickness coming on...
Great piccies lads.....

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Thursday, 24 Dec 2020 at 6:19am

image host
Here ya go Guy, Merry Christmas :)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Dec 2020 at 6:59am

Looks like pre-op Stu throwing the devil’s horns.

If I was a grommet in your neighbourhood I’d lose my mind at the sight of that. Nicely.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 24 Dec 2020 at 3:31pm

Best thread on swellnet.

Nearly all my pics these days are of clouds, with a few beach spots. Have always been keen on them but now I’m just engrossed. Took me 58 year or so to realise that the most interesting things I would ever see were always around me. Textures, layers, light, storm cells etc.

Will post a few when I get around to it. Great stuff everyone.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 7:57pm

Not sure how to load photos

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 7:59pm

I use imgbb.com supafreak.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 8:19pm

https://ibb.co/jhj95YN
https://ibb.co/YXvTtFh Thanks goofy foot , this is lembongan late 70s photos by Dave Kelly

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 6:09pm

Summer loving and opportunities missed...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 6:20pm

Come on Craig ,, where’s the big belt money shot ?

The high line is sweet as a nut but all that accumulated speed leads to.....?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 8:09pm

He should have pulled in that first bowly section, so he faded that only to pull in at the end which was haf the size. Photo ends up just him, gone inside the seaweed barrel ha.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 8:13pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like his board doesn’t have the length or drive to maintain speed around that section to destroy the lip anyway ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 8:21pm

Yeah, does, he was flying. But the section kept barrelling and bowling out so not the most ideal section to hit after that. I deleted the following photos as they were meh.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm

Fully appreciate the D’oh ( !! ) moment though.

Here’s an old photo that still gives me the shits . Taken one time when I was first trying to surf goofy ( switch ) in decent waves at X XXXX. Blew the takeoff by not angling straight into the barrel. Even from this distance you can see me looking up at this epic wave about to steam away without me and thinking...” You fucken idiot ! “

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 8:47pm

Farkkk, jeez insane wave to paddle in switch on though!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 8:50pm

No consolation prizes for fckn up a wave like that unfortunately.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 9:05pm

Fuck blowin I’d pay good money for that wave right about now. And probably still end up in your position!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 9:16pm

Yew ! Hell switch effort !!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 4:22pm

Here’s an photo I stumbled over the other day . I know it’s Australia Day but I’m not sure which year . Maybe 1990 judging by the wettie shorts ?

East coast Down South grovel action . Myself going right and a fella who’s now the go to builder somewhere on the Eyre peninsula ( and a lover of barrels ). No Australian flags , no one gave a fck beyond time off and an opportunity to consume piss and mull.

Good times.

Happy Australia Day !

lucky-al's picture
lucky-al's picture
lucky-al Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 7:18pm

grovelling in style there blowin, nice to see. is that south coast nsw?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 7:27pm

Yep. Six deep channels made for grovelling ! Back in the day when a one board quiver wasn’t a lifestyle option but a fact of life.

lucky-al's picture
lucky-al's picture
lucky-al Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm

i was around a bit in those days too, can't say i ever wore those shorts though. will dig up a shot.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm

Let’s see them.

lucky-al's picture
lucky-al's picture
lucky-al Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 8:27pm

here's one of me and my mate at bendalong or somewhere around there with my boardies i think indicating the year ('88 maybe?)

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm

Great shot Al.
Great, genuine smiles.
Frothing

lucky-al's picture
lucky-al's picture
lucky-al Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 8:47pm

thanks lostdoggy, great feeling remembering days like that. wish we could go back! i've just texted and asked my old man to have a rummage in the boxes in the garage for more shots from my grom days. haha, he'll get around to it eventually.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 9:09pm

Nice one, Al.

This one's from around about the same time - '88 - but Cronulla Point not south coast.

For those so concerned, the photo can be forensically dated by the wetsuit, a Rip Curl steamer, red with yellow and blue panels, the most distinguishing feature being the inbuilt thermometer on the left sleeve - remember them?

Kinda useless, in that if it told you the water was cold you were already in a steamer, but offered mindless between-sets entertainment trying to gauge the temperature of your piss.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 9:19pm

Shit mate that wettie looks like a fkn Avengers costume.

Though I’ve had worse. Easily.

Nice pic .

Hey Al , I swear that photo could be of a couple of my mates ( brothers ) from back then. So much so that I had to look closely to make sure it wasn’t them. Good times alright. How’s the old Skipp !

lucky-al's picture
lucky-al's picture
lucky-al Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 9:47pm

i remember those rip curl wetsuits with inbuilt thermometer stu, just don't remember that particular colour scheme. haha, you sure that wasn't a diving suit and you weren't just dreaming about a rip curl wetty?

lucky-al's picture
lucky-al's picture
lucky-al Tuesday, 26 Jan 2021 at 10:00pm

here's me in 1984 in my first wetty (don't remember the brand, just remember it was a couple of sizes too big and had holes in the armpits) and with first-ever proper board i didn't have to share with my brother! this board we found in skipp's secondhand room and dad bought for $60 or $70 - 5'7", four shallow channels, two fins and a box - i remember feeling so stoked i had a byrne board so i could surf like tom carroll! but this board had already changed hands a few times and one day i was out at bellambi and this local hot rat who was never friendly to us because we were from up the road paddles up to me and goes, "nice board! it used to be mine." and paddled away! think that might have taken a bit of the wind out of my sails. stupid bellambi grommets!

marcus's picture
marcus's picture
marcus Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 8:11am

Al
i wish i could like comments on here.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 8:24am

Great photos and stories! Love em.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 8:24am

And thermometer, haha! Gold.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 1:21pm

Angourie 1987 and 2020 , in the 87 shot me and 2 mates paddled out at sun up and Nat and Baddie were already out , 6-8 with 8 wave sets absolutely pumping, Nat told us to F off lol we had a ball surfing most of the day crowd peaked at about 20 guys , the 2020 shot was a dawn patrol I did last year no one out yet took a few photos then mad scramble to get the wettie on and out there , not the best angourie but good size and not too many punters. https://ibb.co/6RxGvyM
https://ibb.co/HzZ0j9d. https://ibb.co/z7X5qpS

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 2:49pm

Lacerations before the pontoons Xmas day 2012 fed a few families with fish head soup Shipwreck doing its thing. My beloved supafreak gone but not forgotten Muntigs https://ibb.co/sKCB5QS
https://ibb.co/8xbnXby
https://ibb.co/fxcM5FS
https://ibb.co/DDZSG3K. https://ibb.co/YfScXXs

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 4:01pm

Blowin I have one of those taking the wrong line (cause I was being chicken) and assuming the brace position instead of staying high as you have to to make the wave (south of your wave I think). The lump pushed over by old mate took me out.

On the fashion side I am wearing a shade of emission brown rashie that had bright green under the arms 1981.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 27 Jan 2021 at 5:31pm

Some nice solid waves there supafreak.

Blowin, that blown wave is both beautiful and heart breaking. So close.

Also very nice I focus. No shame for a young fella.