Show us your photos

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm

In semi lockdown I'm finally sorting through a lifetime of photos and inspired by what Craig and Andy recently posted I thought why not.
We travel a fair bit and there has to be some crackers in the vaults.
Good if we follow the Swellnet tradition of not naming or being too obvious.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 29 Aug 2023 at 4:39am

Impressive, Stu.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 30 Aug 2023 at 8:12pm

Stormy evening here as well tonight.
IMG-20230830-171930743

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 31 Aug 2023 at 5:28am

Nice Blackers! Yeah the storms the last two evenings are like what's expected towards the end of spring here in Sydney, crazy.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 8:26pm

Nice snaps AW, lyrebird particularly tricky, well done. Love the fungi, have something similar.
2021-1214-15484800

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 8:37pm
blackers wrote:

Nice snaps AW, lyrebird particularly tricky, well done. Love the fungi, have something similar.
2021-1214-15484800

Blackers. Spent 10 hours in Sherbrooke yesterday, amazing, 5 Superb Lyrebirds and a myriad other birds of note. All photos on iPhone8. On my iPad and phone, the clarity is amazing, soon as uploaded them to ImageBB they lost their beauty. Sucks.

Both mine and yours are Bracket Fungus.AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 8:41pm

Blackers. This will test you, i think.AW

https://ibb.co/8cjqQNk
https://ibb.co/RvgkWq0

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 8:42pm

AW, the beauty is still there. Right click on the photo above and 'Open image in new tab'. Also, when you use ibb after uploading make sure you use the drop down box to choose 'HTML full linked' if you want them to appear in the thread. Cheers!

aussie-magpie-by-dalle2

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 8:47pm

Last Sunday by the sea.

S1810005
S1810013
S1810014
S1810015
S1810016
S1810018
S1810019
S1810032
S1810035
S1810039

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 8:58pm
Westofthelake wrote:

AW, the beauty is still there. Right click on the photo above and 'Open image in new tab'. Also, when you use ibb after uploading make sure you use the drop down box to choose 'HTML full linked' if you want them to appear in the thread. Cheers!

aussie-magpie-by-dalle2

WOTL. Thanks for your tips. BTW, beautiful dreamy coastal shots. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 9:03pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
Westofthelake wrote:

aussie-magpie-by-dalle2

WOTL. Thanks for your tips. BTW, beautiful dreamy coastal shots. AW

Your Magpie photo is from Victoria it looks like. AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 9:34pm
AlfredWallace wrote:

Got me there. Leaves and habit suggest acacia of some sort but flowers do not register.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 9:40pm
blackers wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:

Got me there. Leaves and habit suggest acacia of some sort but flowers do not register.

Blackers Hi. It’s Pimelea axiflora. Bootlace Bush one of the Rice flower plants or shrubs, of the Thymelaeaceae family.AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 10:02pm

Cheers. Will look out for it next time I’m up that way.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 10:05pm

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 10:05pm

Once was enough.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 10:07pm

Here’s something you don’t see every day.
Micro-bat-2

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 10:33pm
blackers wrote:

Micro-bat-2

Blackers. Nice micro bat. Here’s one in my hand on a large revegetation job on the Great Ocean Road , October 2018. We had 20,000 hardwood stakes stacked in high bundles, they roosted every night in amongst the packs. Beautiful animal.AW

IMG-0578

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 1 Sep 2023 at 10:39pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
blackers wrote:

Micro-bat-2

Blackers. Nice micro bat. Here’s one in my hand on a large revegetation job on the Great Ocean Road , October 2018. We had 20,000 hardwood stakes stacked in high bundles, they roosted every night in amongst the packs. Beautiful animal.AW

IMG-0578

Yours is a Chocolate Wattled Bat. AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 2 Sep 2023 at 1:10pm

Yes it is, good pickup. Here is a smaller one, a Southern Forest bat I believe. Coincidentally it was found just up the hill from the place you posted pics of the fairy wands.
20201214-230341

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 2 Sep 2023 at 8:17pm
blackers wrote:

Yes it is, good pickup. Here is a smaller one, a Southern Forest bat I believe. Coincidentally it was found just up the hill from the place you posted pics of the fairy wands.
20201214-230341

Blackers. Hi mate. Another beautiful specimen. True, that coastal location being so close to forest, many folk in town including some mates who live there, always have something for me to look at. We are very fortunate that we get opportunities to see these wonders and more. Thanks again for highlighting it to all of us. AW

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 1:10pm

Not sure if these should be in this thread or not, though I guess they are photos.

Earlier this year, while up on top of the escarpment, I spotted a fresh landslide below the cliffs and behind our suburb. No doubt due to the La Nina rains.

On the weekend I took two of my boys, packed a snakebite kit, and went looking for it. Was easy enough to find our through the bush to the slide, much harder to access it through the fallen jungle and upturned earth. We picked our way across a haphard tangle of trunks and vines.

Though it looks flat in the photo from above it's a trick of the eye, it's on a steep bit of hillside, as you'd expect a landslide to be. In all, it's probably an area of about two footy fields that have gone.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 1:25pm

Almost expect a velociraptor to come bounding out of that last pic!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 1:31pm

That last picture.......wow, I can see that framed and mounted on a wall in the house Stu

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 1:56pm

Nice escarpment vegetation Stu.

Landslides- Niche makers. Watch what happens next !!!!! AW.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 2:05pm

We had a bit of a rain event from a typhoon on Friday. Heaps of land slips all over town. The tree in the pic is just below my place and is now horizontal. The sports field taken from my living room is under a foot of water. Lot of roads cut, expressway not open yet. This Youtube vid is our area. Got city hall coming over this arvo to check our place cause we have a pretty sheer drop.

Surf is chocolate brown.

&si=TadN89o7oZ_8JHAk

Btw, not trying to outdo you Stu, just thought I'd chuck it up.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 2:32pm

Not taken that way at all, Zen. I hope everything is OK over there.

Living where I am, I'm kinda fascinated by the changes to the environment. A year ago, I was working on a new section of MTB track and came across this area that was full of old car tires. Must've been thirty or forty or more, yet this was a long way from any road or building, just way out in thick bush. Puzzling.

Then it hit me. We were a few hundred metres below a section of the escarpment where, back in the day, people used to dump cars, garbage, and tires. Though heavily vegetated now, when I looked uphill there weren't any established trees. The tires had come down in a large landslide.

I planned to remove them, but it took me ages to get just one out, and then I had nowhere to put it anyway. Now I use them to retain sections of track.

Recently there's been lots of houses built around here in what were once considered marginal areas - by that I mean critical areas. I can only assume geotech surveys have gotten better. It's not uncommon to see splits in the road asphalt around here, evidence of the earth shifting underneath, sometimes right outside someone's house. A classic one is a fairly new cliffside house at Clifton with great cracks near their driveway. That must be unnerving.

The road above Thirroul Public School is always being patched, and the hill falling away from it isn't particularly steep, yet five buildings have been lost on it - three school buildings and two houses. No-one builds there anymore.

During the La Nina rains the land arond here was reshaped. I took regular photos of the bluff at Macauleys Beach, which is clay sitting on a coal layer, slowly giving way. The waterlogged clay deforming and falling into the ocean, and in time I guess the houses might too as most have now lost their yards. It's coastal erosion but not due to coastal processes - wind and waves.

In 1999 there was massive flooding here with 400mm of rain falling in 24hrs at Mt Ousley. I read a geologists paper on that event. He surveyed the escarpment and found 175 slides in Wollongong's northern suburbs, about half were new.

Though each slide is sudden, the combined effect is a gradual, interminable erosion of the escarpment. The whole hillside is moving.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 3:51pm

City hall just left and said our place was not in any real threat (at the moment) but to basically monitor any cracks with photos and call them if they enlarge significantly. Still, wifey is a little on edge cause we're up high and the drop is quite sheer. Kinda thankful for the bamboo and the Sasa which is usually the bane of my existence.

It's amazing how dynamic the ground is really. It tends to magnify itself because of the Japanese love of cement. Wabi sabi takes on a new context because the evidence is in front of your eyes- nothing is permanent.

Further to what you said, I believe there's something like that going on on the Goldy- Robina if I remember, where the council signed off on a development over a natural watercourse or something like that and the shiny new houses are slowly being consumed by it.

Anyway, now city hall has something to really spend their money on instead of monorail and panda feasibility reports. The Japanese will never learn that nature always wins.

Ps- we got 400+ mm from noon to 6pm. That's a shit load in a short span of time.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 5:59pm
zenagain wrote:

City hall just left and said our place was not in any real threat (at the moment) but to basically monitor any cracks with photos and call them if they enlarge significantly. Still, wifey is a little on edge cause we're up high and the drop is quite sheer. Kinda thankful for the bamboo and the Sasa which is usually the bane of my existence.

It's amazing how dynamic the ground is really. It tends to magnify itself because of the Japanese love of cement. Wabi sabi takes on a new context because the evidence is in front of your eyes- nothing is permanent.

Further to what you said, I believe there's something like that going on on the Goldy- Robina if I remember, where the council signed off on a development over a natural watercourse or something like that and the shiny new houses are slowly being consumed by it.

Anyway, now city hall has something to really spend their money on instead of monorail and panda feasibility reports. The Japanese will never learn that nature always wins.

Ps- we got 400+ mm from noon to 6pm. That's a shit load in a short span of time.

Zen. Hi mate. Stay safe, get out if it gets dire, SWNet can’t afford to lose its correspondent and friend from Japan.

BTW, nice over hanging branch of Acer palmatum Japanese Maple in your photo of the flooded sports field.AW

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:12pm

Ha ha! Cheers AW, all good.

You sure do know your plants. The big maple I thought was just a standard Silver Maple. There's a little fella next to it which is a Japanese Maple. They call them Momiji. See if I can find a better pic.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:32pm

Stay safe Zen.

btw, I did try and make contact but noticed my emails bounced.
If you could reach out with a current email addy I''d be stoked.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:39pm

Geez you got 400+ mm from noon to 6pm........stay safe Zen and family

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 6:57pm

400mm in six hours??

Metric millimetres?

That's almost a third of our annual rainfall.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 7:11pm
stunet wrote:

400mm in six hours??

Metric millimetres?

That's almost a third of our annual rainfall.

That’s nuts, not saying it’s not true zen, just nuts

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 7:19pm

Hong Kong recorded 158mm in the space of an hour last Thursday night!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 11 Sep 2023 at 9:30pm

I know Goof. I couldn't believe it. It was biblical. New record for our city, nothing has preceded it. All good though. One fella lost his life, rest his soul and my wifes colleague lost her Honda N-Box in a landslip.

And Free, try .com.au but no real need, thanks are all mine.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 12 Sep 2023 at 8:42am

Authorities in eastern Libya said at least 2,000 people were killed and thousands more were missing after a massive flood ripped through the city of Derna following a heavy storm and rain. Ahmed Mismari, the spokesperson for the Libyan National Army (LNA) that controls eastern Libya, said in a televised news conference that the disaster came after dams above Derna had collapsed, "sweeping whole neighbourhoods with their residents into the sea".

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 25 Sep 2023 at 5:31pm

My partners parents were evacuated from those floods in Chiba, jeez what an event, then the Libya news as well. Only just heard that. Devastating. Glad you and the fam were OK Zen.

On a happier note.

I've just got back from a trip to Canada, and wow the Rockies didn't disappoint.

Lots of content to come..

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 25 Sep 2023 at 8:44pm

Ooh nice shots Craig. Lucky you, it’s on my bucket list. Our youngest recently visited Yosemite, another one that needs to be ticked off.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 25 Sep 2023 at 10:12pm

Great pics ;)

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 26 Sep 2023 at 12:55pm

Going through my late Uncle's stuff on the weekend and came across this photo. His focus was probably on the buildings in the foreground but mine drifted to the background. I assume it's Norfolk Island.

Screenshot-2023-09-26-125207

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 9 Nov 2023 at 3:18pm

Tis the season:

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 9 Nov 2023 at 3:36pm

Awesome cloud pattern!!
Hey Garyg that is a great pic!!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 9 Nov 2023 at 3:47pm

Better get the washing in.
Eerie shot.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 9:10am

You'll appreciate this one Craig.
"Australian photographer crowned winner of sports imagery contest with this electrifying shot of a climber in Long Canyon."
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/19/sport/red-bull-illume-contest-winners...
https://www.redbullillume.com/int-en/galleries?filter.year=2023&filter.w...

"The below image - taken by Ted Grambeau - of surfer and “local legend” Jimmy McKean, took home first place in the Energy Category."

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 11:12am

Awesome Sprout!

That canyon shot would have taken a bit of planning. Nailed it!

Sandy Stairs is epic as well.

Ted getting the gold as always!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 11:57am

That canyon shot is absolutely epic!!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 7:51pm

Just now
IMG-4872

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 8:02pm

Sweet.
Where are you seeds?
Looks coffs or Clarence coast to me.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 8:11pm

The colours!!
But a fleeting moment in a Sunshine Coast Hinterland town.