Another reason to punch an Anti Vaxxer in the head

Statler's picture
Statler started the topic in Saturday, 21 Dec 2019 at 8:48pm

Booked to travel the Solomon Islands on 4th January, Family of four. Booked/Paid in August
Got an email and phone call from Solomon Airways Friday 20.12.19 at 3.30pm regarding new travel advisory with measles

"From 28 December 2019 onwards, all non-residents entering the Solomon Islands arriving from measles-affected countries including American Samoa, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Australia, New Zealand and Philippines (including transit through these countries) will be required to provide certified proof of vaccination against measles at least 14 days prior to their date of arrival. Please note, failure to do so will result in denied entry to the country or deportation. "

The airline advised a blood test, .....Pathology would not get results back in time.
OR get an injection 14 days prior to travel. You Documents will be checked at Brisbane and on arrival in the Solomon's.

Friday 20.12.19 would make it 15 days out luckily I could source a measles vaccine and got a doctors appointment. (Called 10 + chemists and guilted my doctors receptionist for an immediate appointment) At 17.05 4th MMR injected.

I have been vaccinated numerous times with MMR, childhood x 2 plus extra with jobs.

Who over 40 has there vaccination records on hand ? My Doctor searched no records, Hence my fourth MMR

My kids Immunisation Government records, sorted. ....Well done Government.

Missus has record of innoculation 12 years ago and no record of childhood like all +40. ....... MMR x 3

Job for next year a blood report of my immunity to diseases. Printed out ready to go. Free under our world class medical system.

What a clusterfuck

Solomon Islands Immigration Requirements with regards to the control of Measles

(!) IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR ALL PASSENGERS – EFFECTIVE 28 December 2019 NEW MEASLES VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS – Travel Advice from Solomon Islands Ministry of Health and Medical Services

On the 13th of December 2019 as a protective measure to ensure safety to the citizens of Solomon Islands, the Solomon Islands Government announced strict new measles vaccination requirements for all incoming passenger arrivals to the Solomon Islands.

From 14th December 2019 all passengers entering the Solomon Islands are required to complete a new health declaration form regarding immunisation against/exposure to measles. The forms will be made available at Solomon Airlines check-in counters and on board our aircraft.

From 28 December 2019 onwards, all non-residents entering the Solomon Islands arriving from measles-affected countries including American Samoa, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Australia, New Zealand and Philippines (including transit through these countries) will be required to provide certified proof of vaccination against measles at least 14 days prior to their date of arrival. Please note, failure to do so will result in denied entry to the country or deportation.

From 28 December 2019 onwards, all residents returning to the Solomon Islands from measles affected countries including American Samoa, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Australia, New Zealand and Philippines (including transit through these countries) will be required to show certified proof of vaccination against measles at least 14 days prior to their date of arrival. Please note failure to provide proof of vaccination will result in being placed into a 21-day quarantine period on arrival in Solomon Islands.

The vaccination requirements do not apply to infants less than 6 months of age, pregnant women or persons carrying documentary evidence of contraindications for measles vaccination, such as immune-deficiency and allergies. A certificate from a doctor is required in these circumstances.

Please monitor this website for further updates.

The Ministry of Health and Medical Services complete advisory note 'Measles Travel Advisory for travellers arriving in Solomon Islands: Protection Against Measles Importation to Solomon Islands' is available here. https://www.flysolomons.com/library/faq/measles-travel-advisory-_-update...

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Wednesday, 1 Jan 2020 at 4:24pm

Weirdly I have substantially more sympathy for anti vaxxers than I do climate change deniers

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Wednesday, 1 Jan 2020 at 4:28pm

I think it comes down to motivations...say what you like about facts and evidence...I likely agree with you...but I doubt any anti vaxxer is motivated by anything other than love for their children and wanting to do the best for them
Climate change deniers not so much

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 1 Jan 2020 at 5:00pm

Sad to say but in my experience, fashion and peer group pressure play a large part as well.
It needs to be "not cool" to be an anti-vaxxer.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 9:54pm

If your interested Google (ex-doctor) Andrew Wakefield who’s fraudulent research and mis-information is claimed to have given rise to the modern anti-vax movement.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 6:24am

he ended up rooting Elle McPherson didn't he?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:03am

Struth!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:04am

Nah, you're getting mixed up with Ross Knight.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:51am

Ellie you know,
I got this hunch,
that you're the one to make my lunch.
I got a camera,
I aint no frog.
I can give you loving,
and plenty of grog.
You can shove Sports Illustrated,
and leave the world so frustrated.
Break my heart.
Bite my bum.
Tear my shirt.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:08am

I once wore a pair of Elle Mcpherson's black lacey knickers on my head.

True story.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:11am

Shame they didn't have iPhones and social media when you were a kid.

That'd be a selfie to be proud of.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:12am

Weird Japanese vending machine purchase, Zen?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:21am

No, when i was a young fella i worked on the executive level of a five star hotel.

Twas during turn down service and she was out to dinner. The deeply religious Philippine housemaid i was with was shocked, repulsed and at the same time tried so hard not to laugh.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:32am

That raises more questions than it answers.

Where were said knickers? Your role in accessing them? State of said knickers?

Enquiring minds need to know!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:39am

Bathroom floor.

Hotel master key.

Pre-worn.

Memories- priceless!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:40am

Off the bathroom floor!

Hahahahahaha!!

So good!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:51am

Tip of the hat.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:58am

Pre- worn!

Fresh out of the box!

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:13pm

Zen you started being a legend so young.........

billythekid's picture
billythekid's picture
billythekid Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 1:05pm

My nephew used to be a sovereign citizen. Then he started up with the flat earth bullshit. Then the Rockefeller’s etc we’re running the oil cartels (even though their measly fund is completely out of its oil investments). Then he had a couple of kids and now it’s vaccines are a huge trick played on us all by govt and big pharmaceutical and Bill gates, who also wants to plant a chip in everyone and is actually the anti christ .

I totally agree with the original post: anti vaxxers should be punched in the head

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm

A thread promoting Violence? fascinating....
But the bottomline is once a government can force you to have injections, it's a slippery slope.
WE LOOOOOVE THE LEADERRR

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 2:31pm

the very definition of the slippery slope fallacy of reasoning.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 2:33pm

Chook are u pro life or pro abortion?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 2:36pm

Because if you are pro life, u then ideologically can't have 99% of all vaccines. Reason being is they are developed from cell lines grown from abortions.
Yes, the abortions happened a long time ago. But they were abortions nonetheless. And these cells they use are directly from the cell lines.
So, u better be pro abortion, or foh

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm

...and that's the very definition of a non sequiter.

SD -- my area is logic, metaphysics, and phil of mind, not ethics. i've never really gone through the arguments and come to my own conclusion. at the heart of the debate is the concept of personhood. the notion of personhood is a little too fuzzy and wooly on both sides to get me interested.

sure, i've read peter singer. but all his arguments really do is follow through the consequences of holding rule utilitarianism. but without an argument for why we should hold rule ulitarianism, it's just a mapping of logical consequences, with no reason to hold that position.

but if you want to post arguments for and against, happy to chat about them. why, what's your view?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 3:00pm

ah, ok...so you know that abortion is wrong, SD.
well, give me the argument that abortion is wrong. tell me how you know abortion is wrong.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 3:16pm

wait...we will also need an argument from "abortion is wrong" to "vaccines derived from aborted material are wrong".
might be easy. might not be. i assume there are plenty of counter examples where the initial instance is wrong, but something derived from it is not wrong. so we'll need a way of working out which counter examples are relevant and which are not. that'll be a matter of identifying positive similarities and negative differences (on the assumption that these counter examples will be examples of analogical reasoning).

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 21 Nov 2020 at 4:11pm

Pete Evens step right up for a backpfeifengesicht

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Sunday, 22 Nov 2020 at 10:41am

sheepdog, sorry about that assault with logic.
it's against my socratic oath to use logic for evil. i didn't use reason to advance debate, and that's wrong.

i don't know if abortion is wrong. but you don't know either. no one does, and they never will..
it's pretty easy to map out what the issue is with abortion. the issue is -- when does a person become a person? if it's at conception, then yes, abortion is wrong. if personhood comes at some point after conception, at some level of cell replication, mental development, physical development or simply the passage of time, then if that point is later than say, three months, then maybe abortion before three months is ok.
but here's the problem -- there is no way to settle the question of when we become a person. i don't know, you don't know. no one knows and they never will,

if you are a christian, then you may hold that we become a person when the soul enters, usually thought to be at the moment of conception. but a christian only holds a belief based on faith, not reason. it is not knowedge.

as for vaccinations...there is good reason to hold that it is wrong for government to mandate an injection, such as a vaccination.
but it's also wrong that the government should have to mandate vaccinations to control preventable disease. we as a society and community should be doing that, not the government.

so we have two wrongs here -- and you're kidding yourself if you think you know how to balance and choose between those two wrongs.

what i do know is, if we don't want the government telling us what to do, then we have to step up and take responsibility for our community and country.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 5:57am

As expected...

Actually I expect this to become a government initiative yet

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 10:09am

chook, just read your points above. I think you've layed out the core issue of the abortion debate really well, and that shows why it's a probably debate neither side can really win. Perhaps personhood-at-conception would be the more pragmatic position (in terms of some pseudo opportunity cost - if we don't know when personhood starts, the moral/ethical cost of terminating a life too late is surely higher than failing to terminate (except in cases where that failure also costs a life)?)
I'm also minded to agree that it's not clear that benefiting from abortion material is incoherent with being anti-abortionist. One obvious counterpoint for the Christian is the crucifixion. Clearly it was a great moral wrong for the Son of God to be executed, yet it is not morally wrong to benefit from his death. Like you say though, that analogy may or may not apply here...

Semi-coherent ramblings aside, I've got one question re epistemology for you (raised by your assertion that christian belief =/= knowledge): do you think a properly basic belief (or even just a basic belief) constitutes knowledge?

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 11:36am

Statler, go headbutt a mirror. This is the most twisted post I've seen on here to date... Questionable that Swellnet should even allow this thread title. Condoning violence? WTF. You are a moron. Keep out of my way.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 11:51am

No surprises someone is clearly an antivaxer

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 12:00pm

Dis-ease is dis-harmony, harmony is a frequency, frequency is everything including humans (body and mind). So why do you think that injecting yourself with a substance is going to bring you into harmony or eliminate dis-ease? Because that is the way we have been conditioned over at least the last couple of generations. This 'first class medical system' is a joke. It sets out to destroy the fundamental basics of harmony and therefore health. Good for growing customers though..

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm

knowledge is power, power is rate of energy, E=sqrt((mc^2)^2+(pc)^2), mass/energy distorts space therefore libraries are black holes....

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 12:18pm

Also, harmony is not frequency (frequency is literally "time rate of change"). You could define harmony as a ratio of soundwave frequencies (in the context of music/sound), but whether that harmony is deemed pleasing or dissonant is at least in part dependant on culture.
Maybe on the basis of wave-particle duality you could argue that the constituent parts of all physical stuff is wavelike (which might be where you get "frequency" from there), but that breaks down on the macro scale - otherwise we would observe quantum weirdness in our day-to-day experiences, which we don't. So you can't really say that humans are "frequency".
On top of that, I'm not sure how you could say that something non-physical like "mind" is frequency?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 12:48pm

Boom!

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:36pm

Yeah Pops, thanks for that. A perfect display of 'paralysis by analysis'. After all, they are all just words on a page aren't they.... I accept the holes in language / expression to the letter of the modern day law but you get the idea.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:38pm

432 Hz

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:43pm

No, I really don't get the idea. If you're not using the words harmony and frequency to convey their commonly understood meanings, I have no idea what you are saying.

Also, paralysis by analysis doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. At no point have I overanalysed to the extent that I've failed to reach a decision. The herring is red.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:44pm

Shortenism, do you understand what the unit "Hz" means?

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:49pm

Yes Pops

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:51pm

And?

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm

And..?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm

It's the amount of Kingswood you have between 1977 and 1980.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:54pm

VJ with the comment of the day once again!

Shortenism, can you explain where you're going with that?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:57pm

I do have a total of 0 Hz presently. Sadly. But I did keep my old Kingswood SL hubcaps, the big chromed ones.

Shortenism has 432 of them, big bucks now!

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 1:59pm

I already have. You're getting bogged down in words again Pops. Do something useful and keep looking to innerstand.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 2:02pm

Good band. Though, they're up another 568.