Don’t call it a comeback

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Monday, 9 Dec 2019 at 3:17pm

Surfers are athletes.

Chiselled gods with preternatural levels of fitness , effortless ability and aesthetic beauty. Refined instruments of aquatic grace to a man or woman.

Everyone knows this to be incontrovertibly true.

So why are my boardies so tight ?

Unfortunately, the image of the stereotypical surfer fails to address the slightly grotesque reality of those wave riders who’ve regrettably misplaced their abdominal muscles under an unsightly layer of pudge. Of course there’s never an acceptable excuse for letting your physique and therefore your health deteriorate, but mitigating factors aren’t too far away for many crew.

Excessive work responsibilities , familial obligations, injury , location, failing motivation , depression and illness are amongst the varied reasons why you’d wake up one day and find the stomach verandah is extending over the tool shed below the belt.

Then there’s the other reasons for losing condition , many of which I’ve explored extensively....love of food or drink , laziness, apathy amongst them. Some crew are all about hedonism and indulgence - admirable traits in moderation- but when you start to realise that your spirit animal is neither the dynamic dolphin nor the potent puma , but is actually more likely to be the golden labrador fixatedly staring at the kitchen from its spot on the lounge , or that your patron is Saint Occhilupo of the Rubbery Girth then you’d best keep an eye on your waistline.

My lifestyle, body type and inclinations find me constantly yo-yoing in weight and fitness. Sometimes I’m lean , strong and capable . Other times I’m chubby , weak and slack. The ceaseless cycle of peak and trough , top and bottom which seems to be my lot in this world.

Right now I’m on the resurgence. A dedicated program to ascend to the lofty heights of my personal mediocrity. As usual I had to bottom out before the turnaround......such is life. As I’ve embarked on this project of renewal I’ve had reason to realise that I’m in no way on my own in this situation and that some crew may not know how to halt their decent into dicreptitude , may not truly realise the pitfalls of not arresting the decline or may just need a bit of inspiration to get up off the floor and rediscover the ability to own their destiny.

So here it is ....Blowin’s guide to exiting the world of the fat bastard.

Your health is the most valuable asset you possess. Being fat or out of shape has repercussions ranging far beyond looking bad in a wetsuit *. Without your health and physicality you are hugely diminished. You cant enjoy activities with your loved ones .You can’t earn a living. You DIE ....which is bad. Being sick or infirm can be hugely expensive.

Surfing is a gift for getting fit. The key to getting stronger is in your hands.

And the best way to get fit in my eyes is to treat it like you would any other issue of overwhelming priority. Do it properly Treat the act like an investment in yourself .

Step 1/ Find a location with a good , consistent wave within easy access from accomodation and go there immediately. It doesn’t have to be the best wave in the world , just somewhere that you can basically surf everyday and for all day if possible. Somewhere you can amass a high wave count and expend a lot of energy day after day , irrespective of time , tide or wind conditions. Sound impossible? It’s not at all when you start looking.

Step 2/ Go there on your own. Sounds boring / sad / lonely , right ? Who gives a fuck .... you’re here to get fit , not go on a bucks party or to laze around gossiping whilst getting back rubs.

Solo means focus and no distractions . It means you aren’t likely to find a beer shoved in your hand at lunch and you won’t be waking up the next day hungover, having to again start from scratch after you’ve decided to reward yourselves following a taxing surf. You want single , bloody-minded purpose. This ain’t meant to be fun , it’s meant to be a second chance before you fall over the edge into the void of the perpetual fatfuck.

And a bit of silence and time for contemplation never hurt anyone.

Step 3/ Make it fun ! Yeah , yeah , I know what I just said , but If you’ve chosen your destination correctly, you’ll be surfing better within days. Weight falls off quickly with the right diet and regular exercise and your resurgent strength, agility and range of motion will increase your surfing ability and therefore your enjoyment of the act. Watch surf movies between sessions. Take this moment to immerse yourself completely in surfing . Do it for your loved ones ....the fitter you are , the healthier you’ll be and your time together will be maximised .

Step 4/ Eat clean . The eating part is hard if you aren’t clued up in healthy eating. Research good eating habits , but it’s basically lots of fruit , veggies , quality protein and as much unprocessed foods as possible. Completely unprocessed is best.

Choice of destination will be influenced by availability of good , fresh , healthy food. Some places have a diet which is inherently healthier.

Step 5/ Don’t drink. Full stop. Alcohol distorts your body well out of proportion of it’s excessive and unnecessary calorific value .It bloats , poisons and ruins for much longer than just the time it takes to piss out of your body. There is a condition known colloquially as Pub Face whereby the cheeks bloat , the jowls sag , the eyes dull and bag whilst the chin seems to breed multiples of itself.

You don’t want to have Pub Face.

Step 5/ Don’t stop moving. Move your body as much as possible. Wake early after a good nights sleep and just .....GO ! Walk to check the surf. Surf . Walk somewhere else . Surf . Climb a hill . Do push-ups . Surf . Walk somewhere else . Do yoga . Run ....you get it ?

From waking to sleeping, just keep moving. Doesn’t have to be flat out all the time , just don’t stop.

Surfs small or shit ? Go out anyway for a paddle . Or swim the lineup. Just keep moving....

Step 6/ Rest and get good sleep. Don’t stress. This surf trip is as much for your loved ones as it is for yourself. You aren’t much good to them fat, broken or unhappy.

Step 7/ Appreciate your opportunity to do this. Appreciation is the key to happiness and happiness is the key to a good life.

A solo surf trip may seem to be too indulgent or expensive to justify to yourself or your family.

Think again. The alternative is to muddle along as you are now , never being able to make headway or gain traction in your good intentions to get fit and strong. This can drag on interminably without conclusion until one day you realise that your vigor is so long gone you wouldn’t even recognise it anymore.

The alternative is much greater medical bills or possible health failure. You think that a couple of weeks living and eating cheap whilst you literally surf your guts out is expensive ? Compare it with the price of a minor surgical process or ( God forbid ) a major , life altering circumstance arising from your poor physical state.

This isn’t an unfair comparison. If you don’t arrest your decline sooner rather than later , you WILL pay the price. Diabetes and heart disease aren’t just things that other people experience.

You probably pay the price of a surf trip each year in private health insurance. Well , here’s a truism : An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

And really, if you’re not putting a monetary value on your health, then you’re looking at a rude awakening down the track to find that it is the most expensive and valuable thing you’ll ever own. Look after it !

Step 8 / Get happy. Whilst it’s true that getting fat is fun , it’s also true that being fat is not fun. Being fit doesn’t just increase your physical health, it also increases your mental health and a strong mind is just as important as a strong body. When you are increasing fitness your moods and self esteem will elevate . You’ll enjoy life more and will probably become a better person for it. Who wants to be around a sad , self-pitying fat fuck ? Your opinion of yourself informs others about how they should treat you. Respect yourself and others are more likely to respect you. This all starts with the basics of health, fitness and vitality.

Ok, that’s enough sermonising . Good luck and get out there. Get fit , get strong , get some good waves and become the man that you picture in your mind instead of a shambling mound .

* Don’t kid yourself. Sucking your stomach in whilst wearing a wetsuit is a fool’s errand which only accentuates your rotundness. No one thinks that the manufacture of a slight void between your pigeon chest and your gunt is anything more than simultaneously sad and hilarious. Just don’t. Relax , let it hang and own it . Best for all involved.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 13 Feb 2022 at 5:30pm
oxrox wrote:

Cheers Flow. Yeah walking`s good. Got to keep my foot straight. Wants to turn out due to the compressed nerve.

Yeah, really interesting point. Men particularly do this. Walking is always good, but concentration on ‘form’ is just like weightlifting, it’s super important. Often watch other people’s gait when out for a walk, so many are just in the queue for the physio appointment or worse. The one I am super-conscious of at the moment is how old people walk. One to avoid.

I’m often, but not always, conscious of form while walking. Think about the way your body is put together and what way of walking puts least stress on the joints. Toes pointing out on step, bad form. Knees rolling in or out, bad form.

I think Stu referred to kinesiology a bit earlier. There is definitely a scientific study that looks at what is really the mechanics and engineering of the human body. Kinesiology may be the new agey sort of pretend version of it, but how you move, the way is which you do it, either improves everything or worsens it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 13 Feb 2022 at 7:29pm

The mention of Gait..it was an Aussie Doctor who picked Billy Connellys Parkinsons Disease when he saw him walking strangely through a Hotel Lobby.

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/billy-connolly-parkinsons-diagnosed-fa...

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Sunday, 13 Feb 2022 at 8:32pm

I have had multiple level disk bulges, some fractures and a backwards slippage at L3. I haven't had injections for any of that, but I have for arthritis in facets S1/l5/l4.
The first time they worked well for about 7-8 months, the next time really not at all.
Doc that did mine said that the injections were pretty hit and miss, but when they do work, they're good for allowing relatively pain free rehab.
Not the most pleasant thing I've ever done, but then again a rooted back isn't either.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 8:46am

FR, how's your back after the big needle? Hope you're improving steadily.

I promised an end of Feb weigh-in and report: 80kg Saturday morning, so goal reached, albeit with a bit of a detour. Had 3 very full on weeks working under huge pressure, and while I quite enjoyed it and things went well, it was sapping and stressful. So instead of a steady weight loss I actually went up a bit again.

Anyway, I knew that what I was doing was working, so back to the programme, and 2kg came off the last two weeks. 6 really good day at my new fave spot with a huge amount of paddling probably helped.

Onwards to 78-79kg.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:05am

Cheers IB.

It's going OK, albeit at a snails pace. It's not made it worse, but any improvement has been marginal.

Still got some foot numbness and calf weakness, which implies disc is still somewhat impinging on nerve root.
But I'm working hard with staying active, doing rehab, can do a fair bit of upper body strength work, so paddling will be no problem.
The "metallic" pinch/pain points from any forwards bending are lessening, which is good.

Probably would have done more surfing in the last few weeks but it's been so unruly from La Niña that babyfood days have been non-existent.

A day of yard work seems to have gone OK, which I'm stoked about.

Glad to hear your program is on track.

Be stoked to paddle out with you sometime this year.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:29am

Keep it up, mate!

And yes, me too. We're dreaming of Easter time, but this is NZ and we're fcuked, haha :-)

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 3:45pm
freeride76 wrote:

Cheers IB.

It's going OK, albeit at a snails pace. It's not made it worse, but any improvement has been marginal.

Still got some foot numbness and calf weakness, which implies disc is still somewhat impinging on nerve root.
But I'm working hard with staying active, doing rehab, can do a fair bit of upper body strength work, so paddling will be no problem.
The "metallic" pinch/pain points from any forwards bending are lessening, which is good.

Probably would have done more surfing in the last few weeks but it's been so unruly from La Niña that babyfood days have been non-existent.

A day of yard work seems to have gone OK, which I'm stoked about.

Glad to hear your program is on track.

Be stoked to paddle out with you sometime this year.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 3:51pm

Hey Freeride. How are you going after the injection? Been told today I only have 2 options now. That`s cortisone injection and if that doesn`t work it`s probably surgery. Didn`t want either but it appears after a few different consultations I`ve done a good job. No screws etc but need to take pressure off the nerve. Interested to see how you went. I have numb foot and calf and moderate foot drop with pain. Six weeks come Sunday with only slight improvement.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 6:05pm

Doesn't sound great Ox. You don't want to have muscles weakness for too long.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 6:19pm

Hi Oxrox, I had the injection. 17/2, so a month ago.
No huge improvement, but some marginal gains.

Actually went to Gold Coast University Hospital and admitted myself into emergency (on the advice of a physiotherapist) and got an opinion from a neurologist-surgeon.

He thought the improvement, though very slow, was enough to keep working on. And to give it a couple more months.
Said, at this stage, he thought surgery was unnecessary.

So I keep going.

Got a moderate exercise program going- I'm feeling Ok- hoping I'll be able to start easing back into it (surfing) over the next 6-8weeks.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 6:53pm

Keep going freeride, the ride is slow and frustrating but it's worth it. Like I've said before, I get exactly where you're at.. maybe not your specific physical diagnosis, but pretty close. Totally relate to the feeling of not being able to do what you love.
If you don't mind me asking, who was the doctor you saw? I work for the private hospital over the road. Not trying to throw shit on anyone, just know who's generally regarded as good.
All good if that's a no-go.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 7:17pm

To be honest, I couldn't tell you Linez.

Quite young, looked at the MRI, examined me, said he had consulted another Doc and that was it.

I wasn't really in any position but to take his opinion as gospel.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 8:08pm
flow wrote:

Doesn't sound great Ox. You don't want to have muscles weakness for too long.

Yeah I know. Have lost a bit on my right side. Trying my best to maintain some strength in my calf and ankle. Doing my head in now.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 8:08pm
freeride76 wrote:

Actually went to Gold Coast University Hospital and admitted myself into emergency (on the advice of a physiotherapist) and got an opinion from a neurologist-surgeon.

He thought the improvement, though very slow, was enough to keep working on. And to give it a couple more months.

So I keep going.

Got a moderate exercise program going- I'm feeling Ok- hoping I'll be able to start easing back into it (surfing) over the next 6-8weeks.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 8:11pm
oxrox wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

So I keep going.

Thanks Freeride.. Yeah it looks like it`s a long slow recovery for me as well, unfortunately. All the best on the rehab journey.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 8:30pm

Good luck to both of you. Walk as much as you can.

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Thursday, 17 Mar 2022 at 10:25pm

My story sounds similar to above ( sciataca, compressed nerve etc and a couple of blackouts from intense pain). Had back issues right back from teenage years and then around 30 years old really screwed it up, ended up going the surgery option after a few months (laminectomy? I think) it worked for about a month then reappeared (apparently scar tissue rubbing on nerve)
Anyway got stuck into the rehab religiously and probably 4 months later had my first surf after a total of 8 out of the water. Seriously thought I'd never surf again.

Have continued with regular yoga/pilates type exercise (3-4 times a week) and fitness / MTB riding and 27 years later the back hasn't let me down, (maybe just the odd niggle)

Obviously no two backs are the same, but for me I shouldn't have had the surgery, I just needed time and stretching / strengthening / fitness (bike), to get me back, leg strength / fitness is a very important piece of the puzzle also in my opinion
Hope this helps

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 7:15am

cheers gents.
And good luck to you Oxrox.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 6:48pm

Been a while, so thought it was time for a roll call.

How is everybody? Any good news on the bad backs? How's Blowin, btw?

In first world problem news, I'm staying reasonably sane through tricky times, and steady at 80kg.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 7:19pm

Since giving up super natural meals and eating pizza subs for dinner and lunch with some fish thrown in ive gained 9 kilos (84kg).
was 75 but starving myself eating one super nature meal a day.

Ive had several facial seizures since i last wrote about them, who the doctors all agree are called Tardive dyskinesia, not caused by vape pen but due to being on a strong anti psychotic for several years.
They are slowly reducing my clopixol and putting me on some other anti psychotic that i only need to take once every three or four months.
Which is good news as it means i can go to indo for several months at a time as long as i pay my rent here too. The reason i used to go for six months at a time was as i was couch surfing or had places less than $100 a week for rent, and left with bond money too and a good reference so i could rent again for 6 months after the trip.
Anyway i could die from these fits my face have as its hard to breath when they happen so i have to be really careful in future.
Valium seem to prevent them so im taking two 5mg valiums a day.Sometimes three if i have a fit.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 7:27pm

@oxrox , hope your surgery went well yesterday and that you have a speedy successful recovery.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 9:19pm

I echo the sentiments above. Hope all went well.

Groundy, all the best man. Take it easy.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 12 Apr 2022 at 11:33pm

Thanks Zen, things are looking good, havent had a fit in about three weeks since taking valium.
Need to improve my diet though but ive been lazy and pizza subs have been only $5 a twin pack for the last few weeks.
Surfs starting to pump so should get in the water a lot this winter and get fitter. My wetty is XL so thats not a problem. Also have another large but chest zip so if i lose weight i have both covered.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 9:19am

Groundswell. I hope you come good sooner rather than later mate, We can’t have you leaving this world prematurely, your trident banter with all of us is gold. Keep ya eyes well focused toward to ocean and it’ll all come good before you know it.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 10:37am

Thanks Alfred, will be keen to get fit again and get some tubes...where i live there are a couple of top waves...i would regret it if i moved back to the nulla and didn't spend much time surfing the waves here.
I haven't had any fits for a few weeks so hopefully the Valium keeps it at bay, as it is an anti seizure med and muscle relaxant.
Just a bit addictive.

Looking forward to a trip to indo later this year...my brother from another mother just sent me footage a few seconds ago of our secret spot pumping, only 3 foot but perfect..still nobody surfs it except him as its usually too big and heavy.It taught me how to tuberide on a fish.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 11:09am

Thanks Supa and Zen.. Surgery went well. The disc was a mess so whole lot came out. Opened up front and back. Bloody sore and still in hospital. Now have a metal spacer and screws L5/S1. As it's very low in my back shouldn't lose flexibility. Just need to get my foot working again. Nurses are so good. Worth there weight in gold.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 11:13am

Good to hear it went well oxrox, i wish i became a nurse they are underestimated imo.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 11:14am

Here's a shot of the secret spot my mate just paddled out to.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 11:17am

All the best for a speedy recovery and pain free rehab Oxrox.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 11:54am

Groundswell. That’s some beautiful looking left. We can all just dream surf it and of course, none of us want to know where it is, I mean that truthfully.
If we were gifted every little secret wave and the like, the fun is totally removed from the search, the journey, and excitement when you finally happen upon a gem. Whether it’s my coast (Surf Coast) your coast or somewhere exotic where you are heading sometime in Winter, it’s all the same, just different geographical ,climatological and oceanic set ups.
On another note, I’ve a background in plant science.
Medically, have you been down the pathway of trialling all the biochemical products that Cannabis species has to offer. Majority of us know about the affects of THC ( Tetrahydracannabinol) the psycho-active component, little of us know about CBN ( Cannabinol) also psycho-active but a great diet suppressor and pain reliever and CBD (Cannabidiol) the non-psycho active component that’s now widely approved globally for treating seizure and muscle fatigue with no side affects, but for some ridiculous reason not here in old Religious and Fossil Fuel Land (Australia). Most city doctors clinic in this country now have a folder on their shelf labelled Cannabis and I ask them what’s that all about, it’s medically prescribed to approved patients, you seem to fit that model. We are a nation of one step forward and two back, hasn’t changed for decades and before I die, I hope it does.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 1:07pm

All the very best Oxrox, speedy recovery to you.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 1:24pm

Glad to hear surgery went well Ox. You do appreciate the nurses. They're priceless

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 2:49pm
AlfredWallace wrote:

Groundswell. That’s some beautiful looking left. We can all just dream surf it and of course, none of us want to know where it is, I mean that truthfully.
If we were gifted every little secret wave and the like, the fun is totally removed from the search, the journey, and excitement when you finally happen upon a gem. Whether it’s my coast (Surf Coast) your coast or somewhere exotic where you are heading sometime in Winter, it’s all the same, just different geographical ,climatological and oceanic set ups.
On another note, I’ve a background in plant science.
Medically, have you been down the pathway of trialling all the biochemical products that Cannabis species has to offer. Majority of us know about the affects of THC ( Tetrahydracannabinol) the psycho-active component, little of us know about CBN ( Cannabinol) also psycho-active but a great diet suppressor and pain reliever and CBD (Cannabidiol) the non-psycho active component that’s now widely approved globally for treating seizure and muscle fatigue with no side affects, but for some ridiculous reason not here in old Religious and Fossil Fuel Land (Australia). Most city doctors clinic in this country now have a folder on their shelf labelled Cannabis and I ask them what’s that all about, it’s medically prescribed to approved patients, you seem to fit that model. We are a nation of one step forward and two back, hasn’t changed for decades and before I die, I hope it does.

I have been recomended CBD oil by a few people, apparently my local doctor(gp) prescribes it but i could be wrong. Even though i used to grow pot i get nothing but bad feelings and schiz effects by smoking pot, even worse effects than drugs such as LSD or shrooms or cocaine which dont react badly with me. So THC is a big no no for me but CBD i would be interested in.
THC just sets off my paranoid delusions and auditory halucinations..

Even though it effects me badly i strongly believe it should be legal to grow high thc cannabis. Im just susceptible to schizophrenia, like less than 1% of people are who cant smoke it so dont see why everyone else shouldn't be able to smoke it.
Most people ive met act normal on high thc pot, i just start schizing out so dont touch the stuff but would grow it if it became legal.
I think its pretty obvious if you are not supposed to smoke pot, if one or two cones effects you than dont do it again.
I mostly blame growing it for my schizophrenia rather than smoking it as i hardly touched the stuff. i was awake at night all the time listening to police helicopters and trying to listen out to what my neighbors were talking about, when it really started kicking in i was hearing voices from a km away so definitely delusional.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 3:09pm

Groundswell - you can access high CBD strains, some very low THC or even no THC. Check out Willy G's Lebanese (20:1 CBD to THC - all the CBD benefits with little to no THC effect), and look at the Australian Cannabis University to access said seed. Good luck

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 3:38pm

Groundswell and GreenJam, good work. As most of you know, schizophrenia is mostly genetically predisposed but as you correctly state, external stimulants can exacerbate one’s personal situation.
Groundy, talk to a good GP whose up to speed with all medicines not just ones manufactured by the big Pharma’s. I’d really try and seek out CBD gummie bears on line or from the USA. I subscribe to the Nimbin Hemp Embassy Newsletter out of pure interest in plants, it’s free and is emailed monthly. Some of the best information available on whose making CBD where to get etc. A recent article highlighted Pfizer’s 7 billion investment in medically prescribed Cannabis products, CBD being just one of them.
I’d be really interested to hear how you get health wise, because Valium and all of those horrible other drugs will ultimately run you into the ground.
I clearly state I’m no doctor, but my interest is plants and what they offer us as a global nation. We know our brain has cannabinoid receptors, so somewhere, sometime ago, probably 1000’s, 10,000’s, 100,000,00’s years or more ago, humans were using the aforementioned products in some form. Keep us up to date on your health, it intrigues me.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 4:06pm

Groundy WTF are you doing
Since giving up super natural meals and eating pizza subs for dinner and lunch with some fish thrown in ive gained 9 kilos (84kg).
You must sort your Diet out....you will be 95 kgs before you know it...then back on your Duromine weight loss program..
Fish is great but Pizza Subs everyday be Farkn real save them for a once a week treat
You live in a Fresh food bowl Area ..Land and Marine and good Diet advice is only a few clicks away on the Key board ....
Stop being a Lazy C##t

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 4:24pm
groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 5:23pm
GreenJam wrote:

Groundswell - you can access high CBD strains, some very low THC or even no THC. Check out Willy G's Lebanese (20:1 CBD to THC - all the CBD benefits with little to no THC effect), and look at the Australian Cannabis University to access said seed. Good luck

I will look into that if its legal but if i was going to grow i kind of want to just grow strains like gorilla glue or chemdawg or og kush and make some money..maybe grow one of those cbd strains but maybe outdoors in my mates backyard if its legal that is.Thanks for the heads up.

AlfredWallace wrote:

Groundswell and GreenJam, good work. As most of you know, schizophrenia is mostly genetically predisposed but as you correctly state, external stimulants can exacerbate one’s personal situation.
Groundy, talk to a good GP whose up to speed with all medicines not just ones manufactured by the big Pharma’s. I’d really try and seek out CBD gummie bears on line or from the USA. I subscribe to the Nimbin Hemp Embassy Newsletter out of pure interest in plants, it’s free and is emailed monthly. Some of the best information available on whose making CBD where to get etc. A recent article highlighted Pfizer’s 7 billion investment in medically prescribed Cannabis products, CBD being just one of them.
I’d be really interested to hear how you get health wise, because Valium and all of those horrible other drugs will ultimately run you into the ground.
I clearly state I’m no doctor, but my interest is plants and what they offer us as a global nation. We know our brain has cannabinoid receptors, so somewhere, sometime ago, probably 1000’s, 10,000’s, 100,000,00’s years or more ago, humans were using the aforementioned products in some form. Keep us up to date on your health, it intrigues me.

I agree cannabis evolved probably to be taken by animals and humans and CBD seems like its promising in all the videos ive watched on it those companies you mentioned i will look into i just am a bit weary about attracting the law if its dodgy or if it will bring heat to my house.

udo wrote:

Groundy WTF are you doing
You must sort your Diet out....you will be 95 kgs before you know it...then back on your Duromine weight loss program..
Fish is great but Pizza Subs everyday be Farkn real save them for a once a week treat
You live in a Fresh food bowl Area ..Land and Marine and good Diet advice is only a few clicks away on the Key board ....
Stop being a Lazy C##t

Yeah i know i fucked up..pizza subs are just so tasty after eating all that health food for 11 months i just lost it. I will make an order tonight for super natural meals and have two a day plus bananas for breaky and jogging untill i get a pushbike. ..i used to be a decent surfer, now i suck at it, i can ride a bodyboard pretty well still but not get to my feet every time and jakes isnt a wave to waste or blow takeoffs, hardcore locals here will ban me.

udo wrote:

https://www.builtlean.com/surfer-diet/

I saved that page thanks for the link ill have to read all this a few times to let it sink in.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 6:37pm

Groundswell. Hi fella, I’ve got visitors here from Europe, 70 year old male has two metal plates in his foot and nine pins, gives his grief nightly to the point of tears. His daughter who lives near us easily procured CBD gummie bears on line in Oz. I’ll try and find out for you.
Jake’s, Kalbarri, I love that town, surfed it in 1983-84. Great friendly locals, met Camel at the boozy inn one Sunday session, equally as good a story teller as a genuine charging surfer. Get on the porridge daily mate, every day of the year, contains beta-glucan releases energy slowly as well as dropping artery blocking cholesterol like a lead weight. Small world, keep well.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 7:23pm
udo wrote:

Crazy how it’s not rocket science isn’t it. Eat healthy whole foods the majority of the time, limit booze, guzzle water and eat sugar/chocolate in moderation.
Oh yeah and stay active, no sloth like behaviours

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 13 Apr 2022 at 8:06pm

Nice comeback for KB

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 14 Apr 2022 at 2:39pm
goofyfoot wrote:
udo wrote:

Crazy how it’s not rocket science isn’t it. Eat healthy whole foods the majority of the time, limit booze, guzzle water and eat sugar/chocolate in moderation.
Oh yeah and stay active, no sloth like behaviours

Im pretty certain that its my meds that make it so hard to lose weight not just the food i eat as even when i do 200 situps a day, walk 4 laps of my neighborhood every morning and do a lot of fast light weights in my gym i still find it hard to lose weight. i even dont have any sugar in my diet and for 9-10 months last year cut out drinking all together.

One meal a day plus exercise and a lot of surfing the b grade waves around town was the only thing that helped me get to 75kg...Even at 75kg and no drinking i still had a beer gut, but had no energy for paddling against the strong rips at most surf spots in Kalbarri.
Hopefully this new anti psychotic they're putting me on will be better for my metabolism and losing weight.
If not i'll get into filming all the good surfers of this town and just ride a lid if my favorite fickle bodyboard wave starts working.Might hold onto my expensive surfboards or might sell them if i cant get to my feet anymore..its like im 70 at the moment, getting to my feet in 1 out of 3 waves.
I used to be like a ninja getting to my feet, even in slabby shoreys or slabby reefbreaks.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 14 Apr 2022 at 5:40pm

Groundy its Def the Meds causing the weight gains Antipschotics [ Clopine esp] are well known for that...Eating Pizza everday justs adds so much more to it....Hows your Cholestrol levels ?
When i said stop being lazy i was reffering to you buying pre made tucker while you have access to some of the best Foods avail close by and you should be making your own meals.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 14 Apr 2022 at 5:51pm

Yeah the butcher in town is world class, i buy 200 grams of his biltong every week and a few steaks usually. His meat is fantastic and the seafood here is world class. the scallops are pretty small and dont come with row on which i prefer.
Crays are easy to get too but i dont like them as much as i used to since my fisherman mate said they are the cockroaches of the ocean...sort of put me off them a bit.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 14 Apr 2022 at 8:52pm

200grams of biltong is 4000+mg of sodium which takes up 2 whole days of your max recommended daily intake for the week (no more than 2000mg per day)

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 10:19am

Groundswell. How’s things. I’m back. Change it up mate. Most Western societies when purchasing food for the week start like this . Big mistake right of the bat, first ball- Meat selection first followed by veggies and fruits etc. It should be, select all your greens and this should comprise the bulk of your meal, broccoli, beans, snow peas etc, these plants contain an incredible amount of beneficial minerals/nutrient and then had a small amount of protein. Breakfast, loads of slow releasing grain, OATS, sunflower seeds, chia, linseed(ground), almond, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, whatever takes your fancy. You’ll will feel better and notice a difference very quickly, eating meat all the time will just rip your, colon, bowel and arse apart. I’m not a vegetarian but I eat way more greens than meat and feel better for it, surf longer and stay fitter. If you look at our relictual dental formula, we have teeth arranged for omnivorous eating, pre molars, molars and incisors, we are meant to eat a bit of both. Get rid of all sugars and use honey daily at breakfast, contains antibiotics and a heap of other useful stuff. You CAN do this mate, and get out of the hole you are in for all this prescribed medication. Go for it. Good luck.
Greg Chappell once stated when he first started playing cricket for OZ that the meat culture was rife with cricketers, he exclaimed he always felt like shit. Swap his whole diet over to plant based foods and stated he’d discovered he had way more motivation and energy and generally felt better in life. Food for thought hey.!!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 10:41am
AlfredWallace wrote:

Groundswell. How’s things. I’m back. Change it up mate. Most Western societies when purchasing food for the week start like this . Big mistake right of the bat, first ball- Meat selection first followed by veggies and fruits etc. It should be, select all your greens and this should comprise the bulk of your meal, broccoli, beans, snow peas etc, these plants contain an incredible amount of beneficial minerals/nutrient and then had a small amount of protein. Breakfast, loads of slow releasing grain, OATS, sunflower seeds, chia, linseed(ground), almond, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, whatever takes your fancy. You’ll will feel better and notice a difference very quickly, eating meat all the time will just rip your, colon, bowel and arse apart. I’m not a vegetarian but I eat way more greens than meat and feel better for it, surf longer and stay fitter. If you look at our relictual dental formula, we have teeth arranged for omnivorous eating, pre molars, molars and incisors, we are meant to eat a bit of both. Get rid of all sugars and use honey daily at breakfast, contains antibiotics and a heap of other useful stuff. You CAN do this mate, and get out of the hole you are in for all this prescribed medication. Go for it. Good luck.
Greg Chappell once stated when he first started playing cricket for OZ that the meat culture was rife with cricketers, he exclaimed he always felt like shit. Swap his whole diet over to plant based foods and stated he’d discovered he had way more motivation and energy and generally felt better in life. Food for thought hey.!!

Very good advice AW

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:00pm

Yeh top advice Alfie...
Dont skimp on cheap Honey...research it Groundy a lot of it is just shit.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Apr 2022 at 12:08pm

Anyone familiar with this guy?

Love to hear your thoughts on his carnivore diet.

https://carnivoremd.com/

https://instagram.com/carnivoremd2.0?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=