Firewire LFT

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak started the topic in Friday, 10 May 2019 at 1:12pm

Thinking of getting a skx Firewire in LFT construction, does anyone have recent experience with LFT ? Other reviews don’t favour them but are 2 year old reviews and wondering if Firewire have lifted their game ?

Hazrus's picture
Hazrus's picture
Hazrus Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 7:46pm

I don’t think the LFT are terrible at all. I like how they surf. They just aren’t any more durable than PU/PE.

For me, it’s a value proposition. They aren’t worth more $ than PU/PE to me.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 10 Jun 2019 at 9:51am

No Firewires here but 3 old boards found in friend's shed:
1. Jon Wilson 6 10 @ 20 (approx) single gc
2. Keith Platt stinger 6 4 @ 20 no fin fc
3. Trigger Bros kneeboard 5 9 @ 23 no fin fc

Any interest?
https://imgur.com/549HlGJ

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Monday, 10 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm

Hi Rex
Is the board in the middle made by Kevin Platt, I have never heard of Keith Platt.
If it is by Kevin perhaps his daughter Rachel might be interested as she has been on a mission to collect memorabilia relating to the life of her late father.
She has a facebook page where you can contact her.
https://www.facebook.com/KPlattOriginal/

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 8:08pm

Thanks PS, couldn't read it properly through all the wax and grime! Think it was a 'Free Flight' by Kevin Platt. Have facebooked Rachel.

doozel's picture
doozel's picture
doozel Monday, 9 Dec 2019 at 3:01pm

Probably a bit late to add to this discussion but I have had multiple FW's in the last couple of years and I have broken 3, two LFT and 1 Helium. The Omni is my favourite board of all time, super fast and maneuverable in good waves, but can't buy another after breaking two in 2 years. I have probably creased/snapped 4 or 5 PU boards in 25 years surfing multiple times a week. With Kelly adding some momentum FW have added some great designs but the quality is questionable at best.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Monday, 9 Dec 2019 at 7:07pm

agree doozel. i have had a few fst boards for years (been on indo trips etc) and all are fine. got an evo lft which i loved but snapped it in half 3rd surf on a 3-4ft day at a bog standard beachie. my lft sci fi is holding up touch wood. if they made the evo in fst i’d get another one. but i’m gun shy of the new constructions

speak's picture
speak's picture
speak Wednesday, 23 Sep 2020 at 9:39pm

Hey I live in Canary Islands Lanzarote, (not many local shapers here) . I recently creased bad my phantom pyzel and looking around the few surfshops we got i came into an skx lft that fit my dims perfectly. Thank you all for your inputs its been great reading the whole thread... what i take for my future buy is that an lft is not worth a premium price for durability as it will endure as much as any PU , however the prices i find for a PU here are not much cheaper, maybe 50- 100 $ range difference for a new board (tpatterson, jeffdoc, one retroripper lost i found, ) all around 675 to 530....the skx is priced 689 euros guy says wont come lower ...is this the price difference you all are talking about you woud not pay for an lft or the price here on the island is hig for PU ? given they are not local shapers ....would you get the lft for 689 if the next PU is as high as 600 to 550?