Great old footage of Camel at G-Land

dandandan's picture
dandandan started the topic in Tuesday, 15 Jan 2019 at 10:07am

It's been a terrible flat spell in Tassie lately and so I'm day-dreaming of Indo season this year and came across this footage from the 90's of G-Land. Skip through to the 6 minute mark and there's a section of Camel riding an enormous board in a mix of big and small waves. Pretty good lunchtime distraction.

https://vimeo.com/11510492

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Tuesday, 15 Jan 2019 at 7:53pm

Cheers dandan that was gd !
Camel how long was that Rhino ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet commented Tuesday, 15 Jan 2019 at 8:09pm

Paddling gloves in the first session?

Good find DDD.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 12:49am

Gold

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 5:45am

Epic style.
Jeez some of the wipeouts in there look nasty

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 7:15am

Some bombs there, loved the grab rail bottom turn! A few head to reef wipeouts as well. Gath earning its keep.

Lottolonglong's picture
Lottolonglong's picture
Lottolonglong commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 4:47pm

April 04, my first trip to g-land,we jumped in midnight express to go overland and a guy jumped in van,he had nice manners and was definitely vibrating on a different frequency than any other person I'd met! I'd eaten something in kuta before we left and was fighting a lost battle,our traveling partner told me to drink coke and wished me good luck as he departed the van on some random rd about 4am,we continued on to g-land,for two days I was violently ill! Surf was cracking too! But I had no energy to leave my room,finally on 3rd day I stumbled out to look at waves and there was same guy from van watching waves! It was obvious he had been here before, he offered me mushrooms, I declined, I could barely stomach water let alone anything solid! We chatted like old mates, I assumed he was staying at joyos camp,nope, camping in a tent in bush low key,'less distractions'he said! 3 days later I finally got enough energy to hit the waves,came in as late as I possibly could,it was full moon and a bloke was just paddling out straight past me asking how it was? I said it seemed to be getting better, and he was stoked, a fullmoon solo session! At dinner that night there was talk of a guy named Camel here at g-land,some stories floated around, some good, some not!
I realised that the guy from van with the mushrooms was indeed Camel! He was living a living a life that others only dream about,I SHOULD HAVE HAD THE MUSHROOMS! While others were talking about him,he was living life at that exact moment in time,I'd love to bump into him again!

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 7:11pm

Great story LottoLL.

Great vid dan.

When your board's that long, you wear paddle gloves, and your name is Camel, you'll never need a tow(e).

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 8:31pm

Thanks. That’s the best clip I’ve seen from there (well equal with the one of the Hobgoods at Speedies).

Classic Camel story.

Need to get back there.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 8:48pm

surf in gland 2000 youtube
Dave Mccauley and Camel

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam commented Thursday, 17 Jan 2019 at 11:01pm

Udo thats a 9"0 with a skeg box, big single fin with tiny bonzer style stabilizer side fins. The board shaped on a clothes drying rack (with Tony Hardy doing most of the shape) camel was sawing the tail off at the end of the day!
Havent heard that story about mushrooms before....
Sounds interesting though nonetheless.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot commented Friday, 18 Jan 2019 at 10:01am

Clam was that board made especially for g-land?

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref commented Friday, 18 Jan 2019 at 10:39am

What quivers do you lot use for G-land? Had a 6'0 (standard short board) and 6'6 step up last year which was probably just enough for the waves I wanted to ride but there does seem to be a lot of crew on 7'0 - 7'6 boards.

Will never forget one morning last year starting out in classic (albeit a bit fast) 3-5ft conditions down the bottom half of MT. Pulsed fairly quickly. All of a sudden you see some mountains building out to sea. Gunning for the channel, feeling very vulnerable and insignificant on a 6'0, as a 8-10 wave easy 8 foot set comes steamrolling in and throwing out some massive barrels for those few brave enough to give it a crack. Was one hell of a sight. Headed in shortly after that...