Mexico/Central America December

ShaneK's picture
ShaneK started the topic in Monday, 22 Oct 2018 at 10:35pm

Hi all,

I've got 6 weeks late Nov-end of Dec in Mexico. Want to surf for 2 weeks. Not sure if the south will be worthwhile this time of year. Thinking about heading further south to Carribean coast waves. Anyone able to give me suggestions?

Shane

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 23 Oct 2018 at 8:17am

The Caribbean stretch around Costa Rica through Panama (i.e. Bocas del Toro) is a great option in December. Southern Hemi groundswells are generally smaller and less frequent this time of the year, though you may luck in to a swell event.

I'd recommending hitting up Central America, and keep a loose itinerary to chase swells to either coast based on the forecast.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Tuesday, 23 Oct 2018 at 8:51am

I was there a similar time in 2000 and we had good waves most days up North in Baja on the west coast but found it pretty crowded with seppos....so much so that a few spots became a full on pain in the ass...didn't really score much once we crossed the sea of cortez until we got to Pascuales where we had a couple of nice days of pretty heavy beachies...then a few hit and miss days all the way down the Puerto Escondido which turned out to be really consistent...we had good waves from 2 foot to 10 foot every day for two weeks down there...

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Tuesday, 23 Oct 2018 at 10:15am

I've done Bocas around xmas a couple of times now, it certainly gets waves, pretty good actually and not too crowded, not when it was solid anyway. I hear the wave just over the border on the carribean side also gets very good. Its a fair traverse from Bocas (Carribean) to say Santa Catalina (Pacific), took us over a day by bus. Good luck, great place.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 23 Oct 2018 at 10:23am

Hey Tux Pascuales had real grunt spent two weeks there (1987)must have seen 20 boards snapped, one bloke blew a ear drum got memories of the absolute floggings when at 6ft or bigger and a memory of a scary stand up barrels it was very consistent as was Rio Nexpa and Puerto Escondido.
Think if I ever when back I would head further south to the right hand points bit of a secret back in the day.

ShaneK's picture
ShaneK's picture
ShaneK Tuesday, 23 Oct 2018 at 11:49pm

Thanks for all this. I was thinking Bocas might be the surest option but good to know it is worth keeping an eye on the Pacific too! Keep it flexible.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Wednesday, 24 Oct 2018 at 12:31pm

Yeah I thought Pascuales was heavy as...then I got to Peurto

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 24 Oct 2018 at 1:30pm

Escondido certain held more size when it got big I surfed the left hander down the end of the beach with all the other chickens.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 24 Oct 2018 at 7:26pm

There is some incredible footage of Bruce Irons surfing humungous Pascuales around, worth a look. Fuck he pulls into some heavy heavy tubes.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Oct 2018 at 8:19pm

Step offs though, yeah?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 24 Oct 2018 at 8:25pm

Thats the one

I haven't seen much footage of people paddling big Pascuales. I think because its so shifty