Victoria's horrible surf!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot started the topic in Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 11:54am

This has surely got to be the worst few months I can remember in Vicco for surf. 1 day of offshore winds then 7-10 days of southerly crap! What the hell is going on?

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 7:48pm

it sure has been crap the last few weeks my last good surf was cup day and it was only 3ft at gunna today we finally get Northerly winds and their is no swell not even a ripple.
no happy jan

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 8:11pm

Old Grey its doing my head in. I cant handle it any longer! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

pigdog's picture
pigdog's picture
pigdog Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 9:46pm

How good was it 5 weeks ago though on the fri sat sun it was comming in ruler staight! I haven't surfed since been sailing a couple of times but it has been average to say the least.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 10:13pm
goofyfoot wrote:

This has surely got to be the worst few months I can remember in Vicco for surf. 1 day of offshore winds then 7-10 days of southerly crap! What the hell is going on?

Totally agree and to top it off when it does go offshore the banks are absolute crap as they haven't had a chance to build up, really need a good run of offshores coupled with beachie sized long period swell to shape up the banks.

billroy's picture
billroy's picture
billroy Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 9:25am

Its been terrible. An hour of offshore winds the odd morning here and there but does not hold. In my desperation I've been going to a few protected spots - horrible waves still. When I throw in the towel I feel like an addict whose just done his first blowey for a hit... a new low.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 10:02am
billroy wrote:

Its been terrible. An hour of offshore winds the odd morning here and there but does not hold. In my desperation I've been going to a few protected spots - horrible waves still. When I throw in the towel I feel like an addict whose just done his first blowey for a hit... a new low.

Blowey, what is a blowey

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 10:13am

Jeez, my heart bleeds for you poor bastards.................. not!!!!!!! I haven't had a surf since August.

All I've seen all winter and onwards is photos and reports of great swell back to back heading for you guys.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 10:16am

Yeah, while the last month or so has been terrible, before that it was non-stop.

I'm the same that as soon as it's gone it doesn't matter how many waves you were getting up to that point, you always need more.

Here in Sydney though it's been pretty fun the last few weeks, nothing of epic quality but waves almost every day!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 10:17am

Ps can't wait to get out of the office this afternoon and into this juicy SE groundswell!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 10:38am

Yeah, I've just got too caught up in work, family life etc. And it seems everytime I get home I've just missed a swell or one will arrive after I'm gone again. And the wind hasn't been too co-operative out here.

I should just take the family off for a quick trip down the coast.

Hope you all score some nice ones! :)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 10:54am

I agree with you Fitz,
Poor souls down that ways, Geez surfing is an addiction, you get heaps you want more.
I'm absolutely not down on the Bloweys though. :)

Average's picture
Average's picture
Average Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 12:24pm

I really liked the old Swellnet site... it forecast good waves in Vicco nearly every day for nearly 5 months May - Oct... then the day Swellnet switches to the new site.. Swellnet startes forecasting terrible waves.

Unless you can fix the new site to forecast good waves for Vicco, I'm calling for a return of the old site (which I know can forecast good waves for Vicco).

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I'd still like better waves please.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 12:31pm

Well, we scored pumping waves here in Sydney this morning which can only be because of the new website!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 6:14pm

I'm with Average - the new Swellnet site has been forecasting terrible waves for SA as well. Much prefer the old site - the forecasting bit anyway. We had one of the better winters I can remember. Something needs to be done about this new site ASAP

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 6:24pm

How's the Mid forecast today MDM? The surf's pulsed to 0.5-1ft this arvo.. bang on as forecast (yeah yeah, I know its only small but it's quite a technical achievement to pick these tiny events like this).

Anyway, after the run of swell you had in Autumn and Winter there should be no complaints from your neck of the woods!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 7:44pm

Yes nice work re: the mid Ben - very difficult place to forecast at the best of times. The mid always seems to pickup a bit on the incoming....shame it wasn't surfable.

Guess I am going to have to leave my expectations at home for a while - hopefully the drought breaks soon. Luckily we have W/P to keep us sane...it .doesn't mind those short period swells.

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Wednesday, 27 Nov 2013 at 8:24pm

I'm having to finally admit that I'm an addict. Tuesday there wasn't anything flat. Wednesday not even a 1 foot wave. Struggling to go cold turkey. could fly to Sydney on a Jetstar bargain what are the waves like on the weekend. there isn't any (localism) in Sydney everyone is welcome.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 8:16am

seriously, what a bunch of whingers, I'm glad for a bit of a rest from surfing. You can usually get one good surf a week round this time of the year, it's summer next week get used to it.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 12:08pm

Usually its Morris , but this time i whole heartedly agree with Shaun ... the fine lookin fella that he is .
Quit whingeing and broaden your outlook / horizons fella's . waves be many places

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 12:08pm

So you been getting a few Southey?
Whingers Shaun? Bit hard too take that comment seriously coming from the grumpiest man in Swellnet.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 12:21pm

No i haven't , excepting that dash in the boat the other week .
But there have been waves , my problem isn't the weather its of my own making ( too busy ) .
either way you guys have been whinging . if i was Hughie , i'd make you blokes suffer longer for sheer enjoyment because of your lack of enginuity . ( i know your wanting to stay fit though , for your upcoming trip ) Sunday will be pretty good somewhere . just need to make sure your at that somewhere .
as for the last few weeks goof . theres more than one ferry to get you to other coasts - islands . think outside the box !

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 1:56pm

I hear what your sayin but I just want to get tubed at home.. Working flat out saving $ for a holiday, not to much time to be driving around the countryside. Whinge over!

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 2:02pm

From memory Vicco was 4-6ft for about 3 months straight over late winter and spring wasn't it? I guess when it rains it pours. I can understand though, I'd probably prefer 2 or 3 reasonable surfs / week than all in one hit then a huge flat spell.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 5:09pm
goofyfoot wrote:

So you been getting a few Southey?
Whingers Shaun? Bit hard too take that comment seriously coming from the grumpiest man in Swellnet.

Grumpy!!!!!!! have you been listening to sid lately, any mention of vicco and he goes off, mind you the next minute he can be the happiest, say's a bit about his mental state.
Goofy, be happy , you can knuckle down to work now without any distractions.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 7:07pm

Goofy leave us boys alone, we just wanna drink a flagon under the bridge together.
:)
It's been a long time.
I'm not loving the big trucks now days compared to the horse and carriage's, way too noisy.
I can't seem to spook them as much, they think I'm a Yowie instead of a T--ll.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 10:12pm

Godda flagon there brudda, I'm dhere.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 28 Nov 2013 at 11:35pm

Gotta a Wodka Flagon full of da mineral water and lemon now,
Yummy as Brudda.
You found my thong, I lost one ah.
I mean jandal...?

welcomeguest's picture
welcomeguest's picture
welcomeguest Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 4:50am
staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 9:28am
wellymon wrote:

Gotta a Wodka Flagon full of da mineral water and lemon now,
Yummy as Brudda.
You found my thong, I lost one ah.
I mean jandal...?

The forums letting openly racist comments being posted now Swellnet? Great for the new look………..

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 9:44am

staitey, we've created a simple 'code of conduct' for the forums (see here: http://www.swellnet.com/forums/code-conduct/37586) which we use as a basis for undertaking any moderation in the forums.

Whilst welly's post may be in poor taste, we really don't want to have to draw up guidlines for individual areas of concern - we'd prefer that the forum moderates itself. This will also help set a precedent as to what the Swellnet community finds acceptable (otherwise, if we simply delete or moderate the post then no-one will know what it was that overstepped the mark).

Hope that makes sense.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 9:50am

That was kind of the point of my comment. Although when you're at high school and don't know any better it may be funny I believe most of the people who post / read this website would be above this kind of cheap humour / bigotry…….

…….Wellymon and Shaun be nice if you could keep your comments to the topic at hand or at least some kind of productive or surfing theme.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 10:02am

Good on you staitey, the forums can self-regulate to an extent as well.

Back to Vic's horrid surf - count your blessings fellas. Everywhere blown out? At least some places are protected here. No joy for self? There's some in watching your grom or a learner beam as they progress in the little, protected waves. It could be worse - a summer in Perth used to literally near drive me mad. Once we drove 350kms to find Lefties at knee+ height!!! Then there was the sea breeze coming up at 6am and the guys saying "You should have been here at 5." Also - other interests, variety is the spice of life, surely there are some eccentric hobbies out there? If not, replay some of the 4-6ft goodness of the winter in the mind's eye...

Craig and Ben - any reason for the length of this unfavourable weather pattern? Is the LWT stuck in the Tasman sea for an unusual period of time?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 12:09pm
staitey wrote:

That was kind of the point of my comment. Although when you're at high school and don't know any better it may be funny I believe most of the people who post / read this website would be above this kind of cheap humour / bigotry…….

…….Wellymon and Shaun be nice if you could keep your comments to the topic at hand or at least some kind of productive or surfing theme.

Staity, I and I am sure wheely meant no racial slur, did not even occur to me. I thought I was just speaking the dialect of the bridge people. i find it funny all you politically correct buffoons reckon it's okay put people down in other ways like their grammer or spellink. It's okay to call a person a bogan , fat or illitereight. Personally I reckon alot of the politcly coorect are a tad racist as they can see it where others can't. Please all you private schoolboys, get off ya high horses.
Keep on topic hey? How uninteresting.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 2:19pm

Shaun- This is 2013 now not 1953………..If it didn't even occur to you that such comments were of a racial nature than there's a fairly good chance that you're more than likely a very lucky white, middle class australian who is devoid of any interaction with indigenous people of our country due to your fairly insular upbringing in where ever you are from.

I'm not trying to get on a soap box and be too politically correct but as Thermalben said, he encourages some forum user moderation. I come on here to learn, occasionally contribute my opinion and to enjoy those of other other like minded surfers, shapers, travellers and weather watchers. This is the reason I'd rather not read garbage posts like yours or wellymons.

I'm also pretty sure the type of school you've gone to has nothing to do with a persons ability to perceive or interpret unacceptable comments. Anyway its all good, just my thoughts, take it or leave it.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 3:02pm

Excuse me staitey, but perhaps you should go and stay in Nullunbuy (NT Gove) for 5 months and become friends like I did with the local fellas, They loved me, I even had a bingle with a white middle aged honkey probably like yourself who was paying them out and I stood up too that. So dont come too me about being racist at all champ, pull ya head in.
You obviously have the wrong idea of my post to shaun :) Words can be twisted in all directions depending on each individuals views.
Thank You

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 3:48pm

Mate, I've spent a bit of time in aus. and overseas being the only white bloke, at first I was uncomfortable and thought "shit I'm racist" but after a while I realized I was just a young buck that was scared being the odd man out, I take people as they come and treat them as equals, rather than make allowances for them as is the way of the politically corrects.
Spend a bit of time on the west shore of Oahu, or hang out with the beachboys at Waikiki after hours, boy do those guys like to take the piss out of whitey.
Middle class, na. Working class mate, and I know what racism is, I was the only surfer in a school full of skinheads.
Shit there I go off topic again!!! Quite unacceptable. Don't drown in that think tank staitly.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 3:59pm

Whilst welly's post may be in poor taste,

Ummm Wodka, mineral water and lemon, Ben its a pretty refreshing taste, to say the least.

Should of open up "What ya drinking thread"
Apologies.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 4:06pm

I prepared this one for you earlier, Welly: http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/11396

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 4:12pm

Ben, Welly, that would just be a waste of time that knuckle head Shaun would just go right off the rails and topic and talk about surfing, he's a muppet that bloke.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 6:47pm

Hello Straightly..........!
Quote Straightly "due to your fairly insular upbringing in where ever you are from."
ummm a little bit nasty there mate, code of conduct please.
Straightly, Your more than welcome to pull me up on anything that you have just stated above, in any of my posts :)
Cheers

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 7:39pm

Going offshore on sunday for only a day once again and tiny again and to make it worse once again its a crappy looking 10 second period swell, man im going crazy.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 8:06pm

Oh stop whinging indo ;)

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 2:06am

this was in another thread which i thought belonged in here .

southey wrote:

yeah shaun . the forecast is grim . and if i was in normal circumstances i wouldn't bother its just that this is my weekend . but i'll be doing everything to find the best spot , and maybe i might need to put on the hiking boots and chase waterfalls ..... even if i'll be relying on the tertiary swell to provide some quality sets .
on another note all you whingers , it looks like there's a few LAGO's in the next week or so's forecast .
now they are definitely not something to whinge about ... i LOVE lago's .

welly , yeah jack's are the shit . i grew up with them and probably saved my life a few times in the bush as a young fella . they are hard though with so many national parks down here coastal . and just another mouth to feed , bonus though they are small enough to shove in glove box in said NP's . but yeah size of fight in the dog . bullet proof ....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 7:59pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Oh stop whinging indo ;)

ha ha its kinda therapeutic...maybe tomorrow.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:00pm

Love LAGO s also...(Late afternoon glass off)

Jackrichard03's picture
Jackrichard03's picture
Jackrichard03 Wednesday, 4 Dec 2013 at 4:47pm

Yeah i read more about the island, this is horrible as sometime large waves are moving. So i suggest you to stay safe and if you again visit that place then take some protection measures.