Amazon Drops In

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma started the topic in Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 7:43am

Disruption to the Australian surf industry just got very serious.

Go to the Amazon Australia website with a few hours to spare and the impact really becomes apparent.

Under the online departments list is 'Watersports' and then the subsection, 'Surfing' and you enter a massive product range. From the known brands (Hayden Shapes, FCS, Creatures etc at cheaper prices to a massive range of lesser known product (probably made in the very same factories as the brands) for ridiculously cheap prices.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 7:47am

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see what effect Amazon has on the broader (and surf) retail industry. 

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 7:57am

Haydenshapes Hypto Krypto V Futureflex Surfboard
Be the first to review this item
Price: $774.95 - $824.95
sizes 5'4" to 6'10" shipped to your door

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 9:55am

can u post the link, i cant find

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 10:28am

I'm wondering if Amazon now being in Australia actually changes things that much, other than a quicker delivery time because lots of us have been buying stuff, including wetsuits, fins, surfboards etc online for years to save money via Amazon or whoever. Its been getting lots of publicity, which will mean some newbies or curious people will make an effort to check out Amazon Aust, but most of us will still sit in the same chair and use the same iPad, mobile or PC to do our online shopping, and most of us don't actually care where it comes from as long as we getting what we want at a good price. Lets face it there are cheaper online suppliers than you'll find on Amazon.

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 10:42am

amb, not sure how to post that link but just follow the info as set out in first post.

Morg, yep good point, I just wonder how much Amazon will bust open the relatively closed loop of the surf industry. Any surf brand that sells to them or via their mall will have to play by way different rules to the past and being so price driven the comparison to really cheap no image brands with mostly equal quality will be the game changer.
for example take Tail pads for $17 sit right next to branded ones that are 3 x price.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 11:39am

Wasted 15 minutes on the site this morning trying to find my favourite sporting equipment items ... mostly all I got was clothing and books. plenty of work is needed by amazon to refine their search functions. what i did find wasn't cheaper than any other sites I usually buy from and a mate is telling harvey norman and other bricks and mortar stores are killing amazon on price.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 1:14pm

yeah all i can find is inflatable SUPS...contacted the online chat,asked where the surfboards were, he said go to apps & games..gave up after that

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 3:29pm

its simple. Go to amazons aust site
top of page has a search bar
type in Surfing and presto all the options from wax, boards,fins,traction etc is there to choose

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 3:32pm

$6.81 for wax !!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm

Beats the local servo price hike I whinged about a few months back. 

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 4:31pm

How much was that ?

Can't remember.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 4:47pm

https://www.amazon.com.au/
type in "surfing" and all i get is books..some interesting books..but no boards